Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Budgie posted:

All you need to know about the next league, as told by ItsYoji: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaTxLF7uyO0

Touchdown Boy posted:

This is good.

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

regulargonzalez posted:

I've tried to make it work in the past, but I think this will finally be the league where I pull off a Wild Strike / EE build that can make it into maps. Assuming they don't nerf Scion ascendencies, that is. It's such a powerful combo and completely wrecks through A2 merciless in previous attempts, the play style is tons of fun too. It's an interesting set of challenges to overcome; for example, how to scale damage up when literally every single damage aura (aside from Haste, if you count that) actually hugely lowers your damage.

I tried this a bunch of times with ehit way back in the day. I eventually came to the conclusion that being forced to skip all sources of added elemental damage was far too much of a negative to make it work.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I keep theory-crafting on how to make EH work and....just no.

My Wild Strike character from when they first introduced it really petered out in maps. Not seeing how Ascendancies will help.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
You can do a 2h wild strike ele build without EE and use Elemental Hit as your single target!!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

whypick1 posted:

My Wild Strike character from when they first introduced it really petered out in maps. Not seeing how Ascendancies will help.

It'll give me leech without burning a support slot or having to path down to Templar, and give me two alt start locations. Both of these are invaluable as I spend most of my points in Templar and a bit in Witch; can path there normally and pick up extra health and damage from Marauder and extra health and accuracy from Ranger. I'll post the tree when I get home, absolutely open to critiques.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

regulargonzalez posted:

I've tried to make it work in the past, but I think this will finally be the league where I pull off a Wild Strike / EE build that can make it into maps. Assuming they don't nerf Scion ascendencies, that is. It's such a powerful combo and completely wrecks through A2 merciless in previous attempts, the play style is tons of fun too. It's an interesting set of challenges to overcome; for example, how to scale damage up when literally every single damage aura (aside from Haste, if you count that) actually hugely lowers your damage.

Don't take EE with wild strike, it's random which damage type you get and bad with it. I did a crit 2h slayer wildstrike perandus league and it was pretty fun.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
as far as I'm concerned any attack skill is crit-viable as an AssZerker, you just need a good weapon

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I just need to say that Wild Strike is great with cast on crit, because it seems to trigger a cast on each hit of the chaining attack, which goes off plenty and chains a bunch.

My build was rear end and it was still crazy how many firestorms it was dropping.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

whypick1 posted:

I feel like the best chance for Elemental Hit would be some kind of wand build, either Elementalist for Mastermind of Discord or Deadeye for all those projectile bonuses. Except Kinetic Blast is a trillion times better than any other wand skill, so there's no reason to bother.

They need to make a threshold jewel that adds random elemental damage once more for each, so I can run three of those with Piscator's Vigil and feel very smart.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Voxx posted:

Don't take EE with wild strike, it's random which damage type you get and bad with it. I did a crit 2h slayer wildstrike perandus league and it was pretty fun.

If you math it out, it's a significant DPS upgrade. Sure, sometimes you'll roll cold 5 times in a row but it's much more likely (twice as likely, in fact) to roll a different element. In a worst case scenario (vs enemies with 0% resistance to start), it is on average a 33% more modifier. For enemies with 50% resistance, it's closer to 50% more damage. It's hugely powerful.

Does anyone know, though, if elemental focus also negates the 5% chance to ignite/shock/freeze from that Templar ele dmg node? Not a big deal if so, just have to run controlled destruction instead.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

elemental focus is an on/off button, similar to resolute technique.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

zxqv8 posted:

I just need to say that Wild Strike is great with cast on crit, because it seems to trigger a cast on each hit of the chaining attack, which goes off plenty and chains a bunch.

My build was rear end and it was still crazy how many firestorms it was dropping.

still worse than meatballs though

only 2/3 of your attacks hit enemies sequentially rather than all at once

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

So here is my proposed build

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...fMRZlRG17FCAAA=

(put into offline skill planner obv)

Astramentis for neck to cover necessary dex requirements, and to give me a bit more evasion, accuracy, and life. Doedre's ring so I can run Blasphemy - Ele weak and Enfeeble. AA as well. That jewel, forget its name, that gives increased cold and fire damage in my jewel nodes. Wild Strike - Multi - WED - BM - (LL / LGOH / one of the ele penetration gems (fire, most likely, since I have an extra 1% resist on that) / Ice Bite / FA / Melee Phys (I've read conflicting things on whether this actually helps anything other than the tooltip dps) / Innervate / Inc Crit Chance / IDK). Gonna have to see what works best for 5th and 6th link. Or I could just run Fortify in there; instead of Whirling - FA - Fortify - Inc Duration.

Defense mainly provided by flasks; with the Alchemist cluster and the Pathfinder ascendency, should have virtually 100% uptime for a Granite of Iron Skin and Stibnite of Evasion. Also need a Ruby of non-shock, Saphire (or w/e cold res one is) of anti-bleed, probably a life of anti-freeze or if I want max dps, that flask that shocks everything. Also run Blood Rage ofc. My attack speed should be ridiculously high and even with base crit I should have 100% uptime on Ele Overload, I figure. Reflect will be a problem, even with Enfeeble and flasks, but we'll see how bad it is.

Ele Hit - WED - Multi - BM for single target maybe?

Bandits: Life, Aspd, Frenzy.

Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 22, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Unless poeplanner messed it up, you appear to have Berserker, Pathfinder and both Ranger and Marauder starting points. I'm curious as to where exactly you're going to get 10 Ascendancy points from.

Here's an actual legal version of your build that should put you right around starting maps, at which point you should know whether or not your character is a terrible idea and you've wasted that much more of your life (I spec out my builds to that point and to around level 80, in case it doesn't suck). Even with mashing flasks, it still seems like a glass cannon.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 22, 2016

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

regulargonzalez posted:

Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated.

You have 10 points in your ascendancy, which is impossible even in 2.3

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
RIP SadSoftcoreGoat the Varunastra EQ blocker. I hoped for the top 25 on flashback, but I gave up when I realized how bad the game got after 90.

It killed Atziri, at least.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/DrGoatMD/characters

The only stuff left to really do was reroll the 40 HP Oak back into a skill point and grind until the sun went down.

Despite how it might look, it was only really killable if there was some awful luck or if something did massive spike damage like Vaal Detonate Dead from Bamth or Atziri's giant flameblast.

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 22, 2016

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Magus42 posted:

You have 10 points in your ascendancy, which is impossible even in 2.3

Ha whoops, not sure what I was thinking. Here is an updated one: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...UIWbySq42o26QAA

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 22, 2016

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Chris Wilson gave details on the chaos conversion nerfs on the most recent State of Exile podcast:

Voltaxic is being nerfed to 60% lightning to chaos.
Consuming Dark is being nerfed to 30% fire to chaos.
Infernal Mantle is being nerfed to 15% fire to chaos.
There will be no legacy versions.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Social Media posted:

Oh god, one of my friends bought up a shitload of Voltaxics in preparation, he's going to be so pissed.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

If you math it out, it's a significant DPS upgrade. Sure, sometimes you'll roll cold 5 times in a row but it's much more likely (twice as likely, in fact) to roll a different element. In a worst case scenario (vs enemies with 0% resistance to start), it is on average a 33% more modifier. For enemies with 50% resistance, it's closer to 50% more damage. It's hugely powerful.

Does anyone know, though, if elemental focus also negates the 5% chance to ignite/shock/freeze from that Templar ele dmg node? Not a big deal if so, just have to run controlled destruction instead.

This isn't right, (0.75 + 1.5 + 1.5) / 3 = 1.25, or 25% more. You're also missing a lot of major problems with Wild Strike:

1. The cost of not being able to reliably use a penetration gem with an elemental damage skill is absolutely massive. On a map boss, (30% resistances) a lvl20 penetration gem is worth 55% more damage. The support gem you replace penetration with isn't going to contribute anywhere near that amount.
2. Wild Strike only converts 60% of your damage. When combined with the fact that the triggered effects aren't considered "melee" damage, the result is you only get partial value from the vast majority of your passive nodes. Any node that says "melee" does not boost the triggered effects. Elemental damage nodes only apply at 60% value, the same goes for Weapon Elemental Damage. You only get 60% value from Elemental Overload and Elemental Weakness.
3. You straight up can't have elemental damage bonuses on ANY of your gear, which limits your gearing choices immensely.

The best way to abuse Wild Strike is not by mucking around with EE. Instead, take Avatar of Fire, equip the Call of the Brotherhood ring, and then either use Pyre as your other ring or link Cold to Fire to Wild Strike. This converts ALL physical and elemental damage you do to fire damage. With this, Weapon Elemental Damage becomes a flat 60% more mod at level 20. Fire Penetration applies to all your damage. All elemental and physical damage bonuses on all your gear apply at full value and all get boosted by WED and Fire Pen. All passive tree nodes that boost physical OR elemental damage also apply at full value, and you can double dip off the Snowforged and Stormweaver nodes, which really do give you 50% damage each.

Xequecal fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 22, 2016

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Social Media posted:

I don't really care about legacy or not, but man, I wish they'd be consistent with what got legacy versions and what didn't.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Social Media posted:

Chris Wilson gave details on the chaos conversion nerfs on the most recent State of Exile podcast:

Voltaxic is being nerfed to 60% lightning to chaos.
Consuming Dark is being nerfed to 30% fire to chaos.
Infernal Mantle is being nerfed to 15% fire to chaos.

Loving this.

Can it be June 3 yet? I want to play but don't want to start up yet another character in this league.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The NaCl levels on reddit are so high you could float on it. Beautiful.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Deki posted:

Oh god, one of my friends bought up a shitload of Voltaxics in preparation, he's going to be so pissed.

Be sure to explain to him that his pain brings great joy to others.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Apple Craft posted:

Be sure to explain to him that his pain brings great joy to others.

I have been told since that it was "only" 4 and that he's still richer in game than I'll ever be.

I still find it funny.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
There must be so many Voltaxics in the economy now that if you legacy them most people who want one will have one.

This change probably means Chaos spark is still going to be very good.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

I'm fine with the nerf, although I think its sort of dumb to not add legacy items when it was done before, and its standard, its not like balance matters there. I do wish there were more other ways to effectively mitigate elemental reflect, especially from Atziri. Melee phys builds having block, armor, and evade against reflect really makes it so much less an issue.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
I dont really like legacy items all that much so am ok if that practice stops.

That said someone had a comment on reddit about just making it you cant leech life off of chaos damage being a better fix. Part of me thinks it wouldnt be really but Im a bit too tired to think it through.

I do agree with everyone saying nerfing chaos conversion might actually be smarter than altering chaos damage because that will just gently caress up every non-converting build for no reason.

Edit: As an aside someone getting to level 100 in not much over 50 hours - http://imgur.com/eRcmK0p

Touchdown Boy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 22, 2016

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Apparently a guy following my EQ build got rank 2 juggernaut in the sc race. gently caress why isn't is June 3 yet?

ABombpk
Jul 31, 2013

soscannonballs posted:

Apparently a guy following my EQ build got rank 2 juggernaut in the sc race. gently caress why isn't is June 3 yet?

Link build?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Touchdown Boy posted:

Edit: As an aside someone getting to level 100 in not much over 50 hours - http://imgur.com/eRcmK0p

For what its worth, this was done with legacy gear.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Why is reddit obsessed with slowing down clear speed, as if taking 5 hits to kill a mob makes things more skillful? The amount of "veterans" who haven't got an apex full clear whining about how easy the game has gotten is absurd.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

megalodong posted:

Why is reddit obsessed with slowing down clear speed, as if taking 5 hits to kill a mob makes things more skillful? The amount of "veterans" who haven't got an apex full clear whining about how easy the game has gotten is absurd.

No one but streamers or PoE day traders is allowed to have fun.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Everyone who thinks an arpg should be slow or incredibly difficult has their head on wrong.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I like any change that facilitates my mindless mashing of packs of monsters with obscenely damaging skill-explosions and dislike any change that tries to make PoE into isometric dark souls

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

ABombpk posted:

Link build?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1655864 heres my thread for it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a go-to hc viable fakener build?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Daaaaang

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

If that were 50% *more* evasion it'd be bis for many builds imo. 50% increased is still nice (assuming it's global) but not crazy strong or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Big recap of Chris on the podcast today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/4kk6pr/state_of_exile_live_right_now_with_chris_wilson/

• Locked thread