Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
You should actually piano all three punches since it doesn't change depending on the strength of the button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

* Adds 3 frame input buffer to remove 1f links

* Adds strict height and timing restriction to BnB specials and divekicks with no buffers

wtc

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bisse posted:

* Adds 3 frame input buffer to remove 1f links

* Adds strict height and timing restriction to BnB specials and divekicks with no buffers

wtc

Huh? Height restriction on divekicks is a GREAT thing for SF, dude. The buffer makes the timing for stuff less strict too, instant Tenko is piss-easy once you understand how fast you need to hit it. The only way you make a fighting game without some execution requirements is if you make Divekick.

edit: oh yeah, the thing I came here to tell you. Graham Wolfe seems to be hinting at Ibuki being the next reveal for whatever reason. Maybe some info leaked?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I discovered part (not all) of the reason I was having trouble with the combo is that I was subliminally hitting forward when going from c MP to s MP. I found this out because I realized that if I closed my eyes I could finish the combo like twice as often as opposed to if I were watching what the characters were doing. I think it is because the hit stun from the c MP pushing the characters apart visually made me think the second part wouldn't hit unless I closed the gap up, even though it logically shouldn't make any difference because I am doing the punch instantly after the first.

I thought that was kind of cool for some reason in line of the whole visual look of the game versus actual hurt/hit boxes kind of way.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Dias posted:

Huh? Height restriction on divekicks is a GREAT thing for SF, dude. The buffer makes the timing for stuff less strict too, instant Tenko is piss-easy once you understand how fast you need to hit it. The only way you make a fighting game without some execution requirements is if you make Divekick.

edit: oh yeah, the thing I came here to tell you. Graham Wolfe seems to be hinting at Ibuki being the next reveal for whatever reason. Maybe some info leaked?

I hate the height restriction on cammys divekicks :(

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Nodoze posted:

I hate the height restriction on cammys divekicks :(

you should play sf4 2012

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dangerdoom volvo posted:

you should play sf4 2012

Super. He should play Super.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
whatever boner

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Dias posted:

Tenko still feels like Capcom just sort of half-assed it on the "let's make combos easier" side of things, simply because if you cancel into it from some normals, the earliest point where you can do qcf+k is pretty far removed from the earliest point you can hit punch. So if you cancel as soon as possible, the dash->tenko timing off of cr.lp is not the same as from cr.mk. The workarounds are to either delay the qcf+k enough so that regular timing gets you the JT but not so much that it doesn't combo anymore, or just mash the hell out of punch instead of plinking. I don't know why they would do that instead of just going "if you do qcf+k,p and the dash comes out you'll get JT" regardless of when the dash comes out. Other than the obvious answer of "Capcom bad".

I mean, "why did they make this easier and not this" is pretty far removed from being the game's biggest problem, but there it is.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Klades posted:

Tenko still feels like Capcom just sort of half-assed it on the "let's make combos easier" side of things, simply because if you cancel into it from some normals, the earliest point where you can do qcf+k is pretty far removed from the earliest point you can hit punch. So if you cancel as soon as possible, the dash->tenko timing off of cr.lp is not the same as from cr.mk. The workarounds are to either delay the qcf+k enough so that regular timing gets you the JT but not so much that it doesn't combo anymore, or just mash the hell out of punch instead of plinking. I don't know why they would do that instead of just going "if you do qcf+k,p and the dash comes out you'll get JT" regardless of when the dash comes out. Other than the obvious answer of "Capcom bad".

I mean, "why did they make this easier and not this" is pretty far removed from being the game's biggest problem, but there it is.

I think it's because for whatever reason the buffer doesn't register for follow ups so the start up on tenko totally swallows the punch instead of registering at the appropriate time.

I'm not sure the timing is actually different for the tenko input itself though. The biggest thing is that the actual time that you cancel the move is slightly different between each normal which makes it easier for the follow-up p to not register. Or at least that's how it feels to me :v:

Speaking of Karin though I'm definitely a believer in using slk for frame traps now. It gives you a frame trap into cmp or smp with a gap of 2 frames and cmk with a gap of 3 frames, and having a legitimate low frame trap is pretty great!

I hope this month's character does turn out to be Ibuki or Juri. Both seem like they'd be fun in sfv's slightly easier execution engine. It'll be interesting to see how they tone down the Ibuki vortex though, since with the way this game favors aggression to start with it seems like it would be completely ridiculous.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

All dlc characters must be charge

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Real hurthling! posted:

All dlc characters must be charge

Charge Ibuki is the worst idea.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Charge Ibuki is the worst idea.

She's forward charge

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

S.J. posted:

She's forward charge

Up charge

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

S.J. posted:

She's forward charge

Actually nevermind this is what I want.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ibuki turns your opponent into a charge character

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

S.J. posted:

She's forward charge

Klades posted:

Up charge

theses a character in arcana heart that has both of these things because that game is a madhouse of wacky design ideas

another character needs to draw a pentagram in directional inputs to power up

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Don't forget about the grappler with a 1080.

And my main, who has a 360 Just Frame Input Instant Kill.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

darealkooky posted:

theses a character in arcana heart that has both of these things because that game is a madhouse of wacky design ideas

UNIEL also has a character like that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sarchasm posted:

UNIEL also has a character like that.

Vatista, right? Such a weird combat design.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

darealkooky posted:

another character needs to draw a pentagram in directional inputs to power up

are they literally satan?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Dias posted:

Super. He should play Super.

The 3DS version, so you can just map cannon sprite to a facebutton and do it the split second you leave the ground.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Random, but is anyone having issues with SFV (Steam version) not playing? May just be a general Steam issue but I thought to ask anyways.

EDIT: JUST SFV is refusing to play for some reason.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
put your sfv folder in exceptions for windows defender / disable all antivirus

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

bhsman posted:

Random, but is anyone having issues with SFV (Steam version) not playing? May just be a general Steam issue but I thought to ask anyways.

EDIT: JUST SFV is refusing to play for some reason.

Mine hasn't loaded in months. Mostly because I haven't bothered loading it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Microwaves Mom posted:

Mine hasn't loaded in months. Mostly because I haven't bothered loading it.

I honestly went back to play SF4 instead. There are like 2 people playing it but at least the game itself is fun.
*grumble grumble*

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Jack Trades posted:

I honestly went back to play SF4 instead. There are like 2 people playing it but at least the game itself is fun.
*grumble grumble*

I've felt like going back and playing Omega mode just for fun instead of playing SF5.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zebia posted:

I've felt like going back and playing Omega mode just for fun instead of playing SF5.

Omega Vega is how he should've been in SFV.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

put your sfv folder in exceptions for windows defender / disable all antivirus

Will do; what's weird is that it actually worked last night for a bit and now it still won't play.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Looked around and couldn't find any help for this:

I dusted off my old Arcade Stick that I used for SF4, but it doesn't work at all. Checked my connected devices list and this stick is apparently a PlayStation 3 controller or whatever. I can't seem to find any way to get the game to detect this thing, which completely destroys any chance of the game working properly for me.

It's really dumb that the arcade stick works fine when you try to use it for SF4 (or even SF3 via FightCade) but for some reason nothing seems to work at all when it comes to SF5. I hope that there is just some dumb simple fix I didn't know about.

edit-- thanks for the joy2key recommendation. it was confusing at first but i got it working and it's all good now. still pretty stupid that they can't support it.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 22, 2016

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

Looked around and couldn't find any help for this:

I dusted off my old Arcade Stick that I used for SF4, but it doesn't work at all. Checked my connected devices list and this stick is apparently a PlayStation 3 controller or whatever. I can't seem to find any way to get the game to detect this thing, which completely destroys any chance of the game working properly for me.

It's really dumb that the arcade stick works fine when you try to use it for SF4 (or even SF3 via FightCade) but for some reason nothing seems to work at all when it comes to SF5. I hope that there is just some dumb simple fix I didn't know about.

Nope, Capcom is a poo poo company. You'll need to use Joy2Key or another emulator to get it to work. They haven't added PC stick support yet.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
its so good that they still havent fixed this

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

#zandknew #shouldalistened2zand

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Free Zand

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Oh my God the controller thing still isn't solved? Holy loving poo poo. I'm not one to repeatedly say how bad the game is (it is) but that is straight embarrassing.

Honestly that is sad. And it makes me sad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

This is probably not the right thread to ask in, but I don't think anyone cares about staying on topic anymore.

What's the most convenient way to drill button holes in plexiglass, with a hand drill? I'm trying to make a new front plate for my hitbox.
I tried one of these: http://www.smallcab.net/meche-wood-30mm-flat-p-579.html
It does not work with a hand drill properly.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Jack Trades posted:

What's the most convenient way to drill button holes in plexiglass, with a hand drill? I'm trying to make a new front plate for my hitbox.

it should? that's what it's made for

honestly though 100% realtalk if you need plex work and want to have it done really well then get it from art's hobbies. shipping takes a while but his work is great

http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Jack Trades posted:

This is probably not the right thread to ask in, but I don't think anyone cares about staying on topic anymore.

That's for wood. You'll want a hole saw bit, like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131017368516?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

One of those is for chewing a hole in metal, but it'll make it through plastic, too. You just may have to clean the teeth up to get the plastic clots out.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
If I was offered a refund for SFV at this point I would probably take it without needing to think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Not that goons care about this, but after eating poo poo for 5 casual matches I finally won both my first round and my first Bo3 against another player. It felt... alright. Wasn't as rewarding as I had thought it would be, unfortunately.

It's really hard remembering to do the combos instead of just a regular normal because I feel like it's just safer to try to throw out a button and whiff it rather than risk throwing out a combo and whiffing that.

Also it really sucks because I feel like Ryu's cr.MK doesn't reach aa far as everyone else's poke in this game, so I'm always getting outranged by peoples' normals all the time. I feel like I get better results poking with Ryu's cr.MP instead.