Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Pick'Em: Generics unify, rest retain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

TheMcD posted:

This is my pickem as well

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Will trade pick 30 + a player on my roster for a better player at the same position get at me

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

TheMcD posted:

Sure let's do that.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Sub-Par League VII, Week 9: This Is Fine

Games of the Weak

Keith Wuncler CXXXIV posted:

Found among the personal papers of Keith Wuncler, beat reporter.

I don't think I'll ever get used to this assignment. Seasons never ending, an audience rapacious for their scores and standings but nothing else, hostile owners in the strongest sense of the word -- if I have to take a trip to space to see the most boring series in the universe and then watch an owner threaten to evacuate all the air in the station for shits and giggles during the post-game conference, I'll know it was a Wednesday. The weird becomes common, the life threatening an occupational hazard that would make embedding with jihadis seem like a goddamn vacation.

gently caress. The worst are title change ceremonies. The owners trade these stupid trinkets among themselves, and exalt them as if they were pieces of the True Cross. It's ridiculous. It's ridiculous in the Super League, it's even more so in the Sub Par where nothing of any importance is attached to these. At least you can bet on the Super League title changes. Here, it's of interest to no one at all, save these egomaniacal bastards that run their teams aground and complain to McFreeze their teams suck. God, it's not his fault you picked your feeders the way you did.

I'm sitting in the stands and I'm watching the Werebears play the Cagey Bees -- jesus typing that causes physical pain -- and I'm am rooting against all hope and faith that the Werebears don't gently caress this one up. Pungry hands out snacks to the reporters in the booth to butter us up in the vain hopes we won't tear him several new assholes during the write-ups, and you know if I were a more forgiving person I'd be more lenient, but then he hands us a "Capitalist Running Hot Dog" and my hatred congeals into a ball of solid lead, just as this alleged food item hits my stomach with the unleashed power of Chernobyl blowing its roof. If Pungry is picking up the tradition of horrifying Communist mistakes he ranks between the Cultural Revolution and Stalin's collectivization for worst crimes against humanity.

As I watch through tears of pain, Hero of the People Derrek Lee doubles into the gap, giving the Cagey Bees a 2-1 lead and my world is agony. Don't fail me, Werebears. Dammit Musial how did get distracted by Tigger and now you popped out to end the game. Dammit dammit dammit, this game is incredibly bad and now I have to prolong the agony with another loving title belt ceremony. Who will JR Leap threaten to maim? How many awful puns will Pungry make? What did I do to be trapped in this saga of misery? How will I condense these notes into an article suitable for publication that won't get me fired? Maybe I should, my resignation note rendered in 20 point font on the back page of the rag "PUNGRY WINS TITLE IN 2-1 GAME, gently caress BASEBALL FOREVER."

We're dragged onto the field to "witness" this "historical" event as this cheap piece of poo poo belt is officiously handed from one owner to the other. Please please please let JR Leap have hidden some explosive in the belt. There she is, pissed as my editor when I submit five pages of rambling that has to be condensed into three paragraphs for AP. She throws it down at Pungry's feet and it must be my imagination -- or fervent hoping -- but the way the floodlights hit the belt as it landed at his feet seemed like all my fondest wishes coming true and my world ends as an explosion engulfs each and everyone one us.

Of course it's not to be and JR Leap walks back from the podium. Funny, I don't see Pander here. He's usually at her side, whispering bon mots of some villainy or whatever into her ear. Whatever. Pungry waddles up in that ridiculous bee costume he wears and makes some remarks. Blood starts flowing from everyone's ears as their brain is assaulted by his gibberish. "...the Cagey Bees own the means of run production...wins have to be redistributed from the many to the few...we will bury the division leaders..."

What am I supposed to do with this garbage? As Pungry drones on, each pun worse than the last, all I can think about is the reaming I'm gonna get back at home. This is worthless, there's nothing quotable. "...and this is the start of a new era, a title reign that puts on the path to full Communism, there's no going back!"

God, I hope so for my own sake because if I have to watch him whimper while handing that belt to another owner it'll be too soon.

Box Score

Keith Wuncler CXXXIV posted:

"There is no God. The universe is a perverse breeding ground for the creation and demolishing of man's hopes." Hmm. I don't think that'll go over well at the office as a title. Who could have predicted that Pungry would have the shortest reign in the title? I mean, besides everyone who has a functional brain more advanced than a bundle of three neurons that can only fire off "hungry, thirsty, horny"? Sure, it's a team that is scraping bottom so loving hard it's gouging a furrow into bedrock, but it could hold onto a title for more than one series against the most competent team in the league, at home right?

What am I going to say about this game? The Cagey Bees were so overmatched it was laughable. The People's Left-Hander loaded the bases in the first and didn't get punished because, hell, there are eight other innings available to give up seven runs. Drysdale gave up two walks once, then the Cagey Bees threw it away by popping out three times in a row. The People's Left Hander beaned Mays, gave up a hit, then let Thome homer for three runs. Since the only way forzelt could attract press attention to his home games was by bribing with enormous quantities of booze and cheap grain-based spirits, I'm not sure what happened after that, I remember only being a few fingers of whiskey deep into this lovely $3 bottle. I'll have to look over the notes from that guy from the Times since I regain consciousness before he does, usually. I'm sure it's not important and I can reliably bullshit enough content to pad out the column.

So here we are, again, sitting at another platform with another pack of apathetic reporters who all have hit the complimentary wet bar with such vengeance that if you dropped a match here it would immolate everyone in a hundred yard radius. We were just here. We just saw forzelt hand the belt to JR Leap, and now we're seeing it handed back in another ceremony of such grinding tediousness that we've proven time dilates infinitely the closer one approaches Brookings. Oh, I better save that for a Scientists/Dinos writeup, mystery of time solved by CraigK because everything slows to a halt in Sodak and all you want is out from this existence of abject misery.

Speaking of misery. Here comes Pungry, looking sad somehow, in that bee suit that hides his face. He moves slowly, every step an agony of embarrassment and humiliation, laying the belt he won not too long ago at the podium so that forzelt can reclaim it and gloat at his dominance. I don't think I can capture, in words suitable for a paper at any rate, the crushing disappointment that his every action conveys. He holds the belt like he's holding a shoebox containing the corpse of his favorite pet. He hands it over to forzelt as though he's the loving grim reaper himself. Forzelt nods once at Pungry, not out of respect or in sympathy, but in the manner a duke receives his homage from a peasant and wants to dismiss the rabble before he messes up the tapestries.

Now begins the droning, the babble of meaningless words while forzelt basks in his "triumph" of beating the poo poo out of a team that lucked into the title and had the poor fortune to deliver it right back whence it came not a week later. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. No one is paying attention, forzelt is entirely in his own world, extolling the virtues of Sodak frugality, the bravery of living in a cold hell that encrusts the town in snow nine months in the year, how alcoholism is so much better when fermented with locally grown grains. I'd try to go back to the booth where it's air conditioned and I still have that bottle of Sodak Comfort waiting for me.

Oh god. Oh god, what did I do to deserve this. Forzelt is now talking about statistical variance and performing q-tests. He's taking out notes and they're a loving foot thick. "While I have you here I'm gonna talk about an idea to formalize the normalization of batting statistics..." is all I hear. The stampede has begun, even half-addled, almost drunk reporters, some of whom have covered wars and famines can't take it any more. Forzelt is still talking, oblivious to the panic he's stirred up. I can see panic in Bob [Johnston]'s eyes, poo poo he was there in Afghanistan when a suicide bomber ran a cordon and exploded in a busy market in Kandahar and he's made it to an exit and it's already locked.

"As you can tell, I do not brook any sort of skivving off early. Now, let's get back to business here, when you integrate this function..." forzelt practically sang out. While most of the other reporters have sank to the ground, curled in fetal positions to await the end, I won't have that.

It can't end here. Not when I have so many other lovely games to recap to an uncaring population. The only option remaining to me. If you find these notes, let the world know I did it for them.

[Recovered from a laptop found at Brookings Field. Mr. Wuncler had carried a book of matches, which in the combustible alcohol-laden atmosphere caused a fireball which, among other things, caused forzelt to shut up temporarily. Mr. Wuncler is expected to recover in due course.]

ADDITIONAL FRAGMENTS FOUND:

- The Werebears just didn't click for that last game. If they did, it would have spared us all a great deal of pain.

- Twice Plank loaded the bases, twice he got off scot-free for the Cagey Bees. Obviously, history's greatest monster.

- In neither game did the Bees muster any sort of offense, only the Werebears being marginally more woeful, with tragic results.

- I have to admit that Drysdale is more effective in the Sub Par than he's been credit.

- Rollie Fingers again didn't blow the save. Miracles do happen!

- The People's Left-Hander isn't clicking but I suspect it's because he pitches to contact and the defense behind him is hardly an Iron Wall.

- This was also a bad match up since Drysdale gets good Ks, doesn't give up walks, and the Cagey Bees are all too prone to striking out. Also, they suck.

- It was really hard to resist going back to pooh bear mannerisms for the first game.

Box Score

Frank Gaiman posted:

MEXICUTIONERS GO ON ROAD, MURDER AGENDA

Australia, probably - If there's one weakness to the Mexico City Mexicutioners, it's that they draw a lot of their power from their home stadium. Outside their friendly confines, they have neither the thin air nor the small dimensions that allow them to club their opponents into submission. Outside the friendly confines of Mexico, they also don't have the looming threat of cartel ownership to stab their opponents into submission.

So today's game at the faraway stadium of The Gay Agenda seemed like a prime opportunity to knock the Mexicutioners down a peg.

That opportunity lasted all of six batters.

Walter Johnson, one of the Agenda's several aces, found himself in a jam. He'd struck out Miguel Cabrera, and had the chance to get out of a bases-loaded jam if he could just retire Earl Averill. Big Train got to a 2-2 count on Averill, and figured he could just blow him away with a fastball.

He thought wrong. Averill squared it up and crushed it 410 feet to right center for a grand slam, putting the Mexicutioners up 4-0.

Gamely, the Agenda tried to answer, scoring a run in their own first inning on a Tris Speaker walk and a George Brett double. But the Agenda's game is suppressing runs, not scoring 'em. And with a 4-0 deficit early on, it'd be very tough sledding to get back into it.

As if to emphasize the point, Mexicutioners starter Addie Joss buckled down after the Brett double, retiring twelve of the next thirteen batters he faced (the one batter who did reach base was promptly erased on a double play. Meanwhile, the Agenda fell apart defensively, leading to three fifth inning runs to make it 7-1. By the time Joss left the game, it was 9-2, and while a late homer by Willie Mays gave the local crowd something to cheer about, it did little to change the outcome.

Rabidsquid had this to say:

"People of the Subpar League, know this: I am coming for you. The time of the Mexicutioners is now. You have mocked dinger teams for too long, choosing to cling to your deadballers and your cavernous outfield walls."

Earl Averill took the podium, but was no friendlier. "It has been called to my attention that Rabidsquid was told his center field situation is lacking. I am the center field situation. Am I...lacking? Were my five RBIs and grand slam not proof that all shall bow before the mighty dinger? That was but my thirteenth this season. A profoundly unlucky number for some. But not for I."

He pointed at the draft board of the upcoming Super Draft. "And what of these other so-called center fielders who would think to take my place? Would Tris Speaker ever hit a grand slam? The Agenda's own speaker is back in his retirement community watching re-runs of Matlock. Would Chick Hafey do the same? Chick Hafey is a punk who couldn't even stay healthy on the Cardinals. What hope would he have trying to supplant me?"

Averill produced a dagger and lazily flipped it toward the draft board, burying it right on the dot of the lowercase i in "Chick".

"If that motherfucker thinks he's taking my job, he's got another thing coming."

Rabidsquid held up his palm, gesturing for his center fielder to stop. "Enough, Averill," he intoned. "The league is sufficiently frightened of us. We needn't add as-yet undrafted players to the list."

He smirked. "But know this: the Super League is already experiencing its dinger renaissance. The Commission and the Doom are merely my heralds. Soon, the time of the reckoning will be at hand."

He stalked out of the room, Averill in tow, leaving only a confused Inky behind.

"Monicrooooooooo~~~~~~" Inky moaned. "What do I even dooooooooo?"

Then Inky went back to playing Overwatch or whatever.

GAME NOTES

- With today's win, the Mexicutioners have a win % of .667, putting them on pace for a 108 win season. That probably won't last, but holy poo poo condolences to the other 4 teams in that division.

- Willie Mays hit his first homer of the season. Good job, Willie!

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

I don't know what Gibson's deal is. Even I want him to hit!

Analysis

What a strange couple of weeks this has been.

Analysis

The pitching has been good enough to win. You need more offense from your outfield. And also to stick Appling back in there.

Analysis

Needs more guys getting on base. Oh, I missed the part where Schang got injured. Oops!

Analysis

I know Dusty wants more young guys who throw hard, but I might go for a good first baseman if you get the chance.

Analysis

If Mornacale makes more roster moves, he might doom his team, but he also might save them from all dying. Hmm.

Analysis

That's a lot of games blown by the bullpen, but it doesn't look like they've been excessively bad. A fifth starter might be good to have, but some production at third base might help more.

Analysis

This always seems to happen in the last week before the draft. I love it, Michael.

Analysis

I know you'll try to claim otherwise, but getting games in hand is more valuable to this team than a draft pick.

Analysis

There will be a Brown in the pool.

Analysis

Looks like there is a hole in your rotation.

Analysis

If I can make a request, as your tag team partner, how about a starting pitcher? Not like there's a whole lot more dingers to be squeezed into this lineup anyway.

Analysis

The Forgettables have been surprisingly fine. So what to upgrade? Maybe a center fielder? Or the rotation?

Analysis

Well, how about that.

Analysis

You're number one!

Analysis

Needs more Barry hits.

Analysis

How long can this team stay on the field?

Analysis

All right, time to build on the momentum and get that rotation on a roll.

Standings

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hi just posting now that my draft pick is Tris Speaker since I'll likely be away from online.

Slot him in for Al Kaline in all lineups and put Kaline on the bench. Coco Crisp to AAA.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

That puts Grinnblade and the Potatoes on the clock.

Draft Sheet Here

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
DRAFT TRADE poo poo

a) i have '88 edgar martinez, in case you're looking for a version of the best fuckin 3B on the fuckin board but more able to play 3b, so if you want that edgar on the board, trade me your pick
2) literally all my fuckin CF options i'm not fuckin using (rookie joe dimaggio, max carey 1919, '82 rickey henderson) are better all the remaining CFs now (ken griffey is loving GARBAGE i know this from experience) so again, trade for them

basically i'm looking to move from 6th into the Transcendent Players Club by packing up my depth + my current pick

CraigK fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 22, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Time to rejigger my pitching. PART ONE

Starting rotation

1. Tom Glavine
2. Whitey Ford
3. Mike Scott
4. Warren Spahn
5. Luis Tiant

Scott is to start the next game.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Well that sucks.

Ramirez down, recall Scott Rolen

Thanks!

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Well. poo poo good enough to knock me out of what I need and bad enough to continue falling behind. Anyways, new lineups below, tell Trammell to suck it up and play against the Mexicutioners, hopefully his off day is enough to keep him from dying. Anyways change the steal base and extra bases sliders to 0 and new lineups below:

Vs. RHP With DH
Lajoie, 2b
Trammell, SS
Ott, RF
Ted Williams, LF
Piazza,C
Mays,DH
Cepeda,1b
Speaker, CF
Matthews, 3B

Vs. LHP With DH
Lajoie, 2b
Trammell, SS
Ott, RF
Ted Williams, LF
Piazza, C
Mays, DH
Cepeda, 1B
Speaker, CF
Schmidt, 3B

Vs. RHP, No DH
Lajoie, 2b
Trammell, SS
Ott, RF
Ted Williams, LF
Piazza,C
Cepeda,1B
Speaker, CF
Matthews, 3B
P

Vs. LHP, No DH
Lajoie, 2b
Trammell, SS
Ott, RF
Ted Williams, LF
Piazza, C
Cepeda, 1B
Speaker, CF
Schmidt, 3B
P

shepard.shouldgo fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 22, 2016

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Rivera in for Morris. Now, the question is, Ruth or Williams? Thankfully, Grinnblade will have to answer that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Crap I forgot to sub Appling back in. That one's on me. Luke Appling to Shortstop, Joe Tinker to Perdition the Minors, Dwight Evans to the Bench.

I know you're tired, Rod Carew, but suck it up for a bit longer, okay?

...also holy poo poo I drafted that Ted Williams on the board, he was on the Murphs. EDIT: Where he put up a TZ of -13, so if you were thinking of putting him in the field that might be dumb

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

...also holy poo poo I drafted that Ted Williams on the board, he was on the Murphs.

Recognizing players that used to be on your team is always a fun time, especially if your team hasn't died in the meantime and you get to re-trace the route that player took to whatever team died with him. That '93 Bedrosian was on my team at some point, though I never actually used him, since this was right around the time I switched to the no-groundballers-allowed team motif.

As an aside, if you draft Teddy over Babe you're probably dumb. There are edge cases, but those don't apply here with a 22 year old Teddy and a 23 year old Babe.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Recognizing players that used to be on your team is always a fun time, especially if your team hasn't died in the meantime and you get to re-trace the route that player took to whatever team died with him. That '93 Bedrosian was on my team at some point, though I never actually used him, since this was right around the time I switched to the no-groundballers-allowed team motif.

As an aside, if you draft Teddy over Babe you're probably dumb. There are edge cases, but those don't apply here with a 22 year old Teddy and a 23 year old Babe.

Also Teddy still has the Murphs on him, you don't want any part of that, man

(that team was so bad)

(The Mines aren't that much better but that isn't the point)

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

If anyone is looking to add a draft pick I'm willing to listen to offers. Right now I need help at 1b and 3b the most. I would also consider moving the pick for a good enough deadball guy + infielder.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Goose Gossage to the DL, call up Slim Sallee. Tug McGraw to Set Up, Sallee to McGraw's spot in Short Relief. Swap Larry Walker back in for Ellis Burks in the RHP DH lineup, and swap Burks and Greenberg in the batting order in the LHP DH lineup.

Maybe I should be looking into a starter in right field instead of center, where ancient Earl Averill continues to hit the poo poo out of the ball. And also make errors.

Pick 'em
Champs retain except Generics unify.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...
Champs retain

Schang to DL, Navarro up. Shuffling overworked starters out as well... new lineups:

vs. RHP:
2B Joe Morgan [L] 1975 Reds
LF Lou Brock [L] 1969 Cardinals
SS Alex Rodriguez [R] 1995 Mariners
DH Larry Walker [L] 2002 Rockies
RF Larry Walker [L] 1999 Rockies
1B Vladimir Guerrero [R] 1997 Expos
3B Eddie Mathews [L] 1965 Braves
CF Carlos Beltran [S] 2008 Mets
C Tim McCarver [L] 1969 Cardinals

Vs. LHP:
CF Carlos Beltran [S] 2008 Mets
1B Todd Helton [L] 1999 Rockies
LF Vladimir Guerrero [R] 1997 Expos
RF Larry Walker [L] 1999 Rockies
SS Alex Rodriguez [R] 1995 Mariners
3B Ken Keltner [R] 1944 Indians
DH Eddie Mathews [L] 1965 Braves
2B Joe Morgan [L] 1975 Reds
C Tim McCarver [L] 1969 Cardinals

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

:siren: Ratings Challenge-Dusty Baker’s 1908 Speaker:siren:

My Tris Speaker has started every game this year and is batting .219, this is clearly a broken representation of Speaker and should be fixed, particularly given that super star players in SL routinely over perform even when taken from years before they played full time.   Consulting super league history, the last time that Speaker hit this poorly was season 10, when a  36 year old Speaker hit .219 in limited play.  In fact, out of the 60 Speakers to be used, only twice has he hit below .270.

In addition to not matching the SL career c of speaker, this also does not make sense regarding Speaker’s career arc. Speaker burst onto the scene in 1909 and was an immediate star, this is reflected in super league ratings as the 1909 version spent 5 seasons in the super league and was a dominant hitter and fielder.  This version of Speaker is one year younger and quite frankly is nothing like his 1909 counterpart.  While it may be that he improved in between years the idea that Speaker was this much worse in 1908 is unlikely.

I am aware that the obvious counterpoint is that 1908 Speaker was a non factor on the Red Sox roster but even this argument fails to hold up under scrutiny. The Super League is riddled with players playing up to a general point in their career arc even when it involved a season in which a player was a non factor due to injury or not yet receiving significant playing time. This applies to all stages of a players career, Ted Williams is excellent even when fed from seasons when he didn’t play due to Korea or World War 2, and 1915 Babe Ruth routinely dominates in spite of the fact he only had 103 plate appearances that year.  Additionally, the 1947 Dizzy Dean played competently even though he had been out of baseball for 9 years at that point and was only in for a 1 game gimmick. If all of these players will be treated at well above their actual documented skill level at the time in mogul universe, Speaker should be improved to be at least comparable and the well below average hitter that he currently is playing like.

At this point Speakers play is such that he has been dropped to the bottom of my order and it  is a reasonable question if I should instead be using Willie Mays in his place.  One of the best center fielders in super league history deserves better. 

Other Notes
I'm aware that this may just be bad luck/the Kennel From Hell is a tough division but it seems really drat weird to me that Speaker is this lovely 1/3 through he season when similar versions were elite and this speaker was routinely a .316 guy in the (admittedly weaker but not THAT MUCH weaker) EC.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

shepard.shouldgo, while I have no beef with your ratings challenge, and think you makes a plausible case, if not one that I would personally find incredibly compelling, I do feel the need to point out that I find it hilarious that "this also does not make sense regarding Speaker’s career arc" is the rationale behind trying to improve the ratings of the 1908 Speaker when the very next sentence of your case notes that "Speaker burst onto the scene in 1909."

I mean, like I said, I get the argument, but that was perhaps not as artfully phrased as it could have been and I can't help but laugh at it.

I'm now going to go off and try to figure out a way to acquire a 2010 Mike Trout on the rationale that if his rookie season was incredible he must have been even more incredible beforehand.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I might be looking to trade down. If someone later in the round wants my pick, get at me.

Alternately, I might be idling to trade to Super League owners for PTBNL after the season.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm now going to go off and try to figure out a way to acquire a 2010 Mike Trout on the rationale that if his rookie season was incredible he must have been even more incredible beforehand.

Since I expect Mogul 2022 to be just as quirky I think you're logic is incredibly sound :)

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
2010 Mike Trout is dead forever!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Some changes!

Send Tom Henke to AAA to heal. Move Pedro Borbon to closer, call up Mike Jackson. Move Tim Burke to set up and slot in Jackson in Burke's middle relief spot.

If possible, also send down Harry Hooper and call up Joe Dimaggio from the DL. Earle Combs has been fine in CF while DiMaggio's been hurt, so keep RHP lineups the same. DiMaggio should be healthy enough to play against LHP, so set LHP lineups as so!

vs. LHP (no-DH)
1. SS Arky Vaughan
2. 2B Riggs Stephenson
3. CF Joe DiMaggio
4. 1B Jimmie Foxx
5. RF Harry Heilmann
6. C Ernie Lombardi
7. 3B George Kell
8. LF Bob Johnson
9. Pitcher

vs. LHP (DH)
1. SS Arky Vaughan
2. 2B Riggs Stephenson
3. CF Joe DiMaggio
4. 1B Jimmie Foxx
5. C Ernie Lombardi
6. RF Harry Heilmann
7. 3B George Kell
8. DH Babe Herman
9. LF Bob Johnson

thanks buddy

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
RE: MY PICK: Anybody wanna move a decent SS/C + depth pieces?

RE: DH Lineup: same as no-DH lineup except Ichiro at DH batting 1st and move everyone down to compensate

-----

Gabriel Pope posted:

Is there any way to just import :smithicide: into Mogul?

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, but the Potatoes already did that.

:unsmigghh:

Smasher Dynamo posted:

You know, it's funny, I've been delegating the EC to other people for a long time now, mainly because I've always been able to find someone who says "boy, it must be rewarding to run something like the Super-League, I want to try!'

No one's ever come back to me to say it was worth it.

Despite how badly I flamed out near the end because of the computer issues and whatnot, I enjoyed running ECVIII in retrospect.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

shepard.shouldgo posted:

:siren: Ratings Challenge-Dusty Baker’s 1908 Speaker:siren:

For the record, since I don't actually have the Sub-Par League save file, and thus can't look at the ratings, it's McFreeze's call to make.

That said, in 1908, Tris Speaker batted .224 in real life. Now, we can argue about whether, if Speaker played that season 100 times, that .224 mark would have been at the extreme low-end. But, in general, I have to say that the real-life evidence does create a rebuttal presumption that he's performing like he should.

I would also say that, while Speaker did hit better in 1909, he was far from a finished product even then, as that was the only full season where he struck out more than he walked, with 53 strikeouts, which would have put him in the top 15-20 in the American league.

As a final note, you take on extra-young or extra-old versions of players, and you're playing with fire. There's going to be volatility there.

So, again, it's McFreeze's call to make, and if there is something really wrong with the rating, then he should fix it. But it would have to be something like that.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
scientists

make jimmie foxx the personal catcher for gaylord perry this week. thus sit him and put george kell back in the lineup. i don't want josh gibson to actually not be in my lineup as opposed to the current "effectively not in the lineup"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

As an aside to the Tris Speaker question, he's BABIP'ing .226, which indicates that he's rather unlucky :shrug:. He may turn around, but as Smasher notes his historical performance puts a low floor for his age, and this is a much more competitive environment than the majors in 1908.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Team Changes

1. call up Joe Torre and make him the full-time catcher. Bresnahan returns to the bench, but is personal catcher for SP3. Return York to the minors.

2. Heilmann is sore, so he only plays versus LHP this week. Max Carey plays RF versus RHP.

Trade Madness

I'd be interested in adding a pick or trading up as long as certain players remain on the board. PM me or post in the thread!

EDIT: edited to correct a dumb error

Robert Deadford fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 22, 2016

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
OKC Bombers Draft/Trade Stuff

Hey, I want to trade up a bunch and acquire one of the players remaining after Ruth and Williams get taken. To that end, I'm going to offer up the following for a pick:

'22 Walter Johnson and '85 John Candelaria (as PTBNL's)
Pick #34

Of course, everything is negotiable, particularly Candelaria, as long as the guy I want is on the table.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Idaho selects 1918 Babe Ruth.

:siren: Pungry and the Seattle Cagey Bees are on the clock. :siren:

1918 Babe Ruth takes Ryan Zimmerman's place in the lineup both defensive and offensive.

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Grinnblade posted:

1918 Babe Ruth takes Ryan Zimmerman's place in the lineup both defensive and offensive.

This is quite the improvement.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Bees are open to trading Rube Waddell+the third pick in the draft for a good return.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

kw0134 posted:

As an aside to the Tris Speaker question, he's BABIP'ing .226, which indicates that he's rather unlucky :shrug:. He may turn around, but as Smasher notes his historical performance puts a low floor for his age, and this is a much more competitive environment than the majors in 1908.

A strong point. Although Speaker did have a high BABIP through his career, he was not immune to having a bad stretch. For example, a stretch as bad as the Space Fish Hank Aaron, among others, and in fact, way better than the Scientists' George Kell.

Speaker also has more walks than strikeouts, so his contact is not the problem either. I do not see any reason that he won't spontaneously start getting better, since his ratings are already comparable to, if not better than, the 39-year-old Speaker in the league.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Ice To Meet You posted:

A strong point. Although Speaker did have a high BABIP through his career, he was not immune to having a bad stretch. For example, a stretch as bad as the Space Fish Hank Aaron, among others, and in fact, way better than the Scientists' George Kell.

Speaker also has more walks than strikeouts, so his contact is not the problem either. I do not see any reason that he won't spontaneously start getting better, since his ratings are already comparable to, if not better than, the 39-year-old Speaker in the league.
Both completely reasonable points . Thanks for looking at that for me.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

HulkaMatt posted:

This is quite the improvement.

It is, but as the Goog Day have worked out, the Double Ruth is not something that can fix all the issues. And the Potatoes have issues.

You know, I'm probably going to make a career out of shittalking the Potatoes. I don't know why they draw this attention from me, but they do.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
its because you're mean

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yaya posted:

its because you're mean

I'll accept that as an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The Bees select '41 Ted Williams. And once again do I put all my hopes on drafting a Williams halfway through the season. Put Edmonds in the minors for him. Also, replace Bryan Morris with the healed Rivera.

New Lineups:

Vs. Righties
1. George Sisler, 1B
2. Ted Williams, LF
3. Robinson Cano, 2B
4. Derrek Lee, DH
5. Giancarlo Stanton, RF
6. Derek Jeter, SS
7. Ken Williams, CF
8. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
9. Wally Schang, C

Vs. Lefties
1. Derek Jeter, SS
2. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
3. Ted Williams, LF
4. Derrek Lee, 1B
5. George Sisler, DH
6. Giancarlo Stanton, RF
7. Robinson Cano, 2B
8. Ken Williams, CF
9. Wally Schang, C

Interleague for Both:

1. George Sisler, 1B
2. Ted Williams, LF
3. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
4. Derek Jeter, SS
5. Giancarlo Stanton, RF
6. Robinson Cano, 2B
7. Ken Williams, CF
8. Wally Schang, C
9. Pitcher

mks5000 is up now to select for Your Dad's Beer League Team.