Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

hemophilia posted:

The least fun AI were monster decks. Those were always pure luck wins for me, and I'm guessing in the balance those are the hard counter to temeria or something, and I imagine it's a broken rear end deck if you assemble enough good monster cards.

I have been trying to play some of the low level games and I've found the same thing. The issue with monster decks is that you can make strategic decision on the number of card in the other guy's hand for every other deck but that doesn't normally hold true for monsters. He can have two cards in his hands and then boom, out comes Mr. Vampire and his six friends, bringing his strength from 24 to 88.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Not defeating the devil in a game of Gwent was the biggest misstep CDPR has made.

It would have been like The Seventh Seal. Except with a silly card game. And you could actually win.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Prokhor posted:

When you say you'll beat him at his own game he asks if you want to play a game of gwent and I shrieked in horror oh god please anything but that

I like to think O'Dimm went "haha, just kidding" because as soon as he suggested Gwent my Geralt was all :getin:

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
So I finally got this game and can run things on medium-low @ 25~ FPS, something I'm not excited about, especially since how gorgeous the game is supposed to look..
What upgrades must I do (hopefully just a GPU upg) to be able to do high (not necessarily ultra), 1920x1080, 60 fps.

What I have:

i5-2500K @ 4.2 ghz
8GB Ram.
GeForce 760 GTX <--most obvious bottleneck.

Is upgrading to the GTX 970 my only option and will that guarantee 60 FPS by itself? I know the i5 is also a slight bottleneck in Witcher 3 and I'd be willing to upgrade but only if necessary.

Thank you friends.

edit: I'll make sure to read these two links in the meantime

http://www.pcgamer.com/witcher-3-graphics-options-performance-and-settings/

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

edit2: Yeah, from reading the first link, I think I got my answer. As long as I optimize and tweak the settings, 60 FPS should be do-able with it. Any cheaper options though?

Pr0phecy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 21, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Here's something that is puzzling me. A lot of the game characters and book characters say that witchers are emotionless, but we know from Geralt that is patently untrue. Now the question is to what extent are the emotions of witchers altered? Geralt experiences things on a higher level due to his extra experimentation, but "Standard" witchers like eskel and lambert obviously have Strong emotions and ties to each other. Even the cat school Witcher had some emotion to him. But then you have witchers like serrit and auckes who envy geralt's capacity for feeling and I question to how much normal witchers actually feel and how much is conjecture from the book monstrum.

It was probably part of the propaganda created by mages to rile up peasants and use them to take Kaer Morhen and slaughter most of the Wolf School witchers.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I have a 750, a i5 3750k, which is an older, shittier cpu.

I have an SSD which is a bit of a cheat that helps. I also use MSI Afterburner for overclock tweaking and I do overclock the CPU a bit, but that's a dangerous road. My bios makes it easy and plays it safe most of the time but it was very scary a couple of times when poo poo starts acting weird, the IRQ got hosed up and weird stuff started happening, and i was clearly cooking the loving thing. I owuldn't play with your CPU very much, but do consider GPU overclocking, and get something that displays gpu temperature in-game. MSI has removed it by default for some reason from afterburner, but that's since I played witcher 3. When Blood and Wine comes out i'll need it. Basically I played a game where I would tab into the inventory screen when my GPU got to a certain temperature range every half hour or so.

This is a crazy rear end workaround but it let me play in 1080p on medium with a locked 30 framerate.

Don't gently caress with your cpu, unless you want to. It's on you if you cook your computer, but you can play with a GPU much more safely. Nvidia will kill an application that starts cooking the gpu.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Pr0phecy posted:

So I finally got this game and can run things on medium-low @ 25~ FPS, something I'm not excited about, especially since how gorgeous the game is supposed to look..
What upgrades must I do (hopefully just a GPU upg) to be able to do high (not necessarily ultra), 1920x1080, 60 fps.

What I have:

i5-2500K @ 4.2 ghz
8GB Ram.

Is upgrading to the GTX 970 my only option and will that guarantee 60 FPS by itself? I know the i5 is also a slight bottleneck in Witcher 3 and I'd be willing to upgrade but only if necessary.

Thank you friends.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Huh. I have a worse CPU (i5-4570 @ 3.2 ghz), 8GB of RAM and a GTX 760 as well and I'm at fine 60 FPS at high settings. The only thing I have below High are the NVIDIA Hairworks Preset and the Foliage Visibilty Range.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Wait was the Monstrum a mage plot? I thought it was just some bigot.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Finally got through the Barghest boss fight. Geralt fought a noble and cinematic battle, kiting a pack of dogs around in circles long enough for the Swallow to regenerate his health so that he could stop and take a few swings at them and repeat. Eventually the hellbeast succumbed to a thousand nicks and scrapes, at which point Geralt killed half of the village he'd just spent the last three hours assisting.

Been exploring Vizima. This game is really getting fun--kind of glad I stuck to it, though it sounds like the swamp portion is going to be another speedbump. :getin:

Great that you decided to stay with it! I think Vizima is worth experiencing for any RPG player, it's got the atmosphere nailed. And you'll get to explore even more of it if you manage to power through the swamp later on. So try and stick with it. :)

Wik
Mar 5, 2010
So many good things

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Rygar201 posted:

Wait was the Monstrum a mage plot? I thought it was just some bigot.

I remember somewhere it being mentioned the mob couldn't have taken the fortress without the aid of mages? And they're pretty unlikely to be unknowing participants in a mob, so they more than likely had a hand in the propaganda too.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really can't get over how much I hate the systems in Witcher 1. I put up with it when it was a new game I had just dropped $50 on, but Getting to Vizima is impossible for me in 2016. I know there's a good game in there, but the voice acting is loving bad and the gameplay is not fun to me.

It's incredible that I know there is a good game in there, because I played it, but i cannot put up with the lovely prologue and act 1 nearly enough to get there.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

hemophilia posted:

I really can't get over how much I hate the systems in Witcher 1. I put up with it when it was a new game I had just dropped $50 on, but Getting to Vizima is impossible for me in 2016. I know there's a good game in there, but the voice acting is loving bad and the gameplay is not fun to me.

It's incredible that I know there is a good game in there, because I played it, but i cannot put up with the lovely prologue and act 1 nearly enough to get there.

Some reddit guy's chapter 2 save.

https://mega.nz/#!EYEU1arB!4dkAALHY8QY9Poy9Dx_KEWk-FwQoMi2AHODVvfhee8g

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rygar201 posted:

Seriously, it's not like Olgierd is riding down the high road, minding his business and gets attacked by some beasty. The guy sold his soul and his brother's life for riches. Geralt doesn't owe him poo poo.

I actually love how the timed responses keep me honest.
My main gripe with HoS is that siding with Olgierd gives you a whole gaming sequence with its own environment to explore while siding with O'Dimm ends the expansion right there and gives you just an item reward. It really should have been more balanced because the latter feels like the 'bad' choice the devs didn't want you to make.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The game often falls flat when you do the least witcher-like things you can. Usually this is hard to do in a way thats unpleasant but yes, not taking on a malevolent demon who gamed you into a contract is the least witchery thing you could do and saying gently caress off heres a sword is the proper way of doing that.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Olgierd is a massive piece of poo poo, especially as you learn fully what he's done to his wife and his brother for his own selfish gain, but there isn't any way Geralt wouldn't take an opportunity to outwit an evil being. It's a "I'm not doing this for you" moment for me.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Accounting for his heart of stone that left him emotionless and kept going :colbert:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Speaking of massive pieces of poo poo, as I'm continuing to play this game, I feel like the Witcher series would be an instant 11/10 must play if every dialogue came with an option to hit whoever you're speaking to at that moment. Like, "1. Ask about the monster problem", "2. Ask to trade", "3. Hit NPC in FACE".

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
What game WOULDN'T become an instant 11/10 if they had that feature?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I feel similarly, except I wish there was way more axii stuff and you could do things like choose different axii commands like you could incite a riot with a violent command or you could make drunkards hit on barmaids and everything in between

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
It's cheapest just buying the season pass if I want both dlcs, right? I'm on ps4.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want to know why I cannot store books in the Stash chests.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Arcsquad12 posted:

I want to know why I cannot store books in the Stash chests.

They don't weigh anything anymore do they?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They don't weigh anything anymore do they?

They still do, and it racks up rather quickly.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

Franz von Dada posted:

What game WOULDN'T become an instant 11/10 if they had that feature?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awvGUsEbIWQ

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Pr0phecy posted:

What I have:

i5-2500K @ 4.2 ghz
8GB Ram.

Thank you friends.

edit2: Yeah, from reading the first link, I think I got my answer. As long as I optimize and tweak the settings, 60 FPS should be do-able with it. Any cheaper options though?

You might want to hold off on the GTX 970 since the GTX 1070 will be out very soon.

Other than that I have a very simillar setup with i5-2500 (not K so no overclock), 8GB RAM and a GTX 970. I run everything on max expect for, motion blur, DoF and hairworks and I get between 45-60 fps.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I have almost the same setup as well, bit with a 970.

I5 2500k at 4.5
16gb ram

Runs basically everything maxed except hairworks poo poo at 60fps. The i5 is a beastly little processor.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah the CPU hasn't been a bottleneck for a very long time these days.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yeah the CPU hasn't been a bottleneck for a very long time these days.

Unless you play Total War games, hah.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I forgot how much I hate fighting Drowners in the early game. These things are so annoying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

I forgot how much I hate fighting Drowners in the early game. These things are so annoying.

It does make one wonder just how many "evil people" have drowned in the Witcher's world, because every body of water deeper than three feet coughs up a never-ending bounty of the things.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

It does make one wonder just how many "evil people" have drowned in the Witcher's world, because every body of water deeper than three feet coughs up a never-ending bounty of the things.

Having played Witcher 3 I don't see an issue with the infinite piles of evil people.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, speaking of early game. I'm using the Temerian Armor right now. When should I look at ditching it for something else? The next set I have my eyes on is the Wolf set but that's not until level 14 and that seems like a mighty long time to hang onto a level 4 armor set.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

So, speaking of early game. I'm using the Temerian Armor right now. When should I look at ditching it for something else? The next set I have my eyes on is the Wolf set but that's not until level 14 and that seems like a mighty long time to hang onto a level 4 armor set.

The Wolf Set is good but yes, it's very much mid- to lategame armor. Just keep snatching up the Witcher sets whenever you can find them. I think the lowest-level one is Griffon.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

The Wolf Set is good but yes, it's very much mid- to lategame armor. Just keep snatching up the Witcher sets whenever you can find them. I think the lowest-level one is Griffon.

The Griffin sets also looks dumb as hell

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Harrow posted:

you'll be well over level 14 by the time you can actually get the Wolf set, too. It's in a kind of weirdly late place for its recommended level.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I don't really like how the Griffin set looks, which is kind of a shame. The first Witcher set that I could get that I also would want to use is the Feline one, which isn't available for a good, long while. I guess I'll just have to clownsuit it up until then.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The griffin set looks dumb because of the cloth colored breastplate. I'm hoping the armour dyes in blood and wine let me make it a proper silver plate

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So I bought a season pass of this a year ago and then let it sit in my backlog forever. I bounced off both 1 and 2 early (my save for 1 is in Chapter 2 somewhere, my save for 2 is just before the Kayran) and, while my first toe dips in 3 are really promising (particularly the combat mechanic improvements), from what I'm reading the DLC next week will patch/update enough to be worth holding off until it drops?

If so I guess it would be a good time to pick up 2 again and try to get through it before jumping into 3 with the DLC release - are there any Goon-recommended mods or other stuff to improve the Assassins of Kings experience?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Blood & Wine has some interface stuff you may wish to wait for, if you have barely played Wild Hunt so far. Otherwise you could carry on with 3, or finish 2 for some minor details like certain tattoo and maybe something with Siegfried in HoS.