Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah the timer doesn't really add anything except when it's the gimmick. it's like when lives eventually stopped mattering but they kept them anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oddium posted:

occasionally i'll pronounce Rare as if it were japanese. just a light-hearted little bit of wackiness helps sometimes

lale?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah I don't wanna say git gud but
What, do I have to bold this passage? Well, I'm gonna.

Amppelix posted:

Yeah, you probably won't notice the timer even when just playing normally. My point is, I would like the ability to very slowly explore the level if I'd like to, which I can't do when the timer exists. Not even for the purposes of finding collectables; sometimes I would like to just mess around with game mechanics or something, I dunno. Sometimes there's cool detail put into the level that you'd just like to enjoy in peace, etc. Like I said, I won't really complain about it but, it would be nice.

It is precisely because the timer is literally not even an obstacle in the normal levels unless you're doing something really weird that I think this. You could just remove it and nothing would change except that you could sometimes go really slowly if you wanted to.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 21, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

yeah the timer doesn't really add anything except when it's the gimmick. it's like when lives eventually stopped mattering but they kept them anyway

Yeah, people keep saying the timer was never an issue (I agree) but outside of the specifically timed challenges, what does the timer add to normal gameplay?

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
that one level where you get a cat suit and its like you're running on a savannah plains comes to mind. that field is huge and stuffed with secrets. the time clocks help but ultimately it would be more cool and fun if they let you run around like a wild animal forever if you wanted

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There's a timer for the same reason there's 1-ups and points, they're thematically consistent with the Super Mario 3 aesthetics which was the intended goal of the designers. I only remember a few times being caught by the timer, mostly because I was exploring around and not paying attention, which I can see being an issue for some but it wasn't for me. I would gladly play a Mario game that is more world based and less level based, but I like Mario in both flavors really.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

computer. give me a mario world to explore...

[sm64/sunshine/galaxy]

no. more.

[thousand year door/superstar saga]

no. give me more.

[paradox grand strategy in the mushroom kingdom]

yesssssss

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There's a timer for the same reason there's 1-ups and points, they're thematically consistent with the Super Mario 3 aesthetics which was the intended goal of the designers.

That's a really good point. My husband's favorite Mario is Mario 3, and he'll show up any day of the week for that aesthetic. He loves 3D World.

The best way to play 3D world is to play the Captain Toad bonus levels where you play the 3D world levels as the good captain. A+ gaming right there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, that goes without saying.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The timer is there because sometimes if you take your time you hear the time running out jingle and race to the end of the level. Especially if you play with other people that mad dash can be fun. This is an obstacle course not an exploration based game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

skeletronics posted:

If you want to take your time and find every star/stamp on your first play through of each level regardless of how much time that takes, that is loving great. There is something very satisfying about doing that. This just isn't the game for that. There are levels in which you have to be playing a specific character to get the stamp, so the 'get everything on the first play through' style is obviously just right out.

Yeah, there is at least one level that has a Rosalina button, so the obvious intent there was "come back and play this level again after you've finished the main game."

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

oddium posted:

computer. give me a mario world to explore...

[sm64/sunshine/galaxy]

no. more.

[thousand year door/superstar saga]

no. give me more.

[paradox grand strategy in the mushroom kingdom]

yesssssss

I'd play it

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Mario kart but everyone builds up speed for 12 hours before the race starts

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

Mario kart but everyone builds up speed for 12 hours before the race starts

this already happens tho, you just don't see it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Project Cars before each race there's a practice session and then a qualifying session that determines your starting position and then you play the race for real which all comes out to around 12 hours

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I want mario kart, but instead of go-karts it's big rigs racing across the open roads of the 'shroom 'ngdom.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'd buy Mushroom Kingdom Truck Simulator.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'd buy Mushroom Kingdom Truck Simulator.

Unironically gently caress yes. Give me some off-the-wall Mario level design where I play a Toad driving a big rig through Koopa Kountry. And when you honk the horn, it does that "Uhn HUH!" toad laugh. Bonus points for unlocking Daisy as a driver.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Sade posted:

I want mario kart, but instead of go-karts it's big rigs racing across the open roads of the 'shroom 'ngdom.

Now it's your turn to run over kart-racers on Toad Turnpike.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sade posted:

I want Forza Horizon but with Mario Kart cars and characters

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I know it didn't get stellar reviews but I just got a Wii U the other day and copped Game & Wario because I've never disliked a Warioware game and I really really like it. Maybe Nintendoland would have sufficed (which I don't have) but it's the first game that's made me feel like , ohhhhh, so THIS is the cool poo poo you can do with a Gamepad. Maybe it would have fared better as a downloadable $20 budget title or something but man yeah it is bringing me a lot of joy

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

goferchan posted:

I know it didn't get stellar reviews but I just got a Wii U the other day and copped Game & Wario because I've never disliked a Warioware game and I really really like it. Maybe Nintendoland would have sufficed (which I don't have) but it's the first game that's made me feel like , ohhhhh, so THIS is the cool poo poo you can do with a Gamepad. Maybe it would have fared better as a downloadable $20 budget title or something but man yeah it is bringing me a lot of joy

It got at least one stellar review. From me. Here's my Wii U review: This system is stellar.

But yeah, the gamepad clicks pretty early on. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I''m sure probably zero (haha, good one by me) people aside from me care at this point but I've been working on an inordinate amount of words about Star Fox Zero off and on and I finally finished it if you would like to look at them http://coolgreat.website/post/144747466925/star-fox-zero-a-review-in-way-too-many-words or not whichever I'm not your boss

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Is there any chance that they'll surprise us with something neat for the holidays, or is Tokyo Sessions the last good looking exclusive game for the Wii U at this point?

For what it's worth, I have a good back catalog to get through. Since i've gotten some good advice from the thread earlier, I may as well ask. As someone who's never played a 3D Zelda, should I go for Windwaker or Twilight Princess? If I like one I'll probably get the other.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Get Windwaker.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

smell this posted:

Get Windwaker.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SylvainMustach posted:

Is there any chance that they'll surprise us with something neat for the holidays, or is Tokyo Sessions the last good looking exclusive game for the Wii U at this point?

There's still a paper Mario game coming, isn't there?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

SylvainMustach posted:

For what it's worth, I have a good back catalog to get through. Since i've gotten some good advice from the thread earlier, I may as well ask. As someone who's never played a 3D Zelda, should I go for Windwaker or Twilight Princess? If I like one I'll probably get the other.

I recently played both and I can say with good conscience that Twilight Princess is the better one.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

smell this posted:

Get Windwaker.
I never thought I'd agree with this after not liking it on the Gamecube, but it wound up being a great time on my Wii U. Totally recommended.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SylvainMustach posted:

Definitely go with Windwaker. Twilight Princess is more divisive, but pretty much everybody likes Windwaker. People who don't have no soul. I'd hate for you to try Twilight Princess first, be one of the people who doesn't like it, and be turned off 3D Zeldas entirely.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

raditts posted:

There's still a paper Mario game coming, isn't there?

Pikmin 4 was said to be close to completion a while back.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Get both games, they will scratch different Zelda itches.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Windwaker (for now, anyway) it is.

Sam Faust posted:

Pikmin 4 was said to be close to completion a while back.

My money's on that being an NX release now

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Get Wind Waker if you want fun, open games with a neat visual story and interesting dungeons, TP if you want eight hours of boring corridors and poo poo bosses followed by two or three AMAZING hours of open fun followed by sheed mediocrity and an eh story told in infinite text.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Get Wind Waker if you want fun, open games with a neat visual story and interesting dungeons, TP if you want eight hours of boring corridors and poo poo bosses followed by two or three AMAZING hours of open fun followed by sheed mediocrity and an eh story told in infinite text.

That said, you have hours upon hours of sailing to do. :v:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Both are great, as are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

elf help book posted:

Both are great, as are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

The 3DS ones are supposed to be pretty good, right?

I almost feel bad. I've only ever played the gameboy ones and the first NES one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SylvainMustach posted:

The 3DS ones are supposed to be pretty good, right?

I almost feel bad. I've only ever played the gameboy ones and the first NES one.

The 3DS remakes are much better and the definitive versions. I recommend picking those up and playing them before Wind Waker if you're interested.

The real answer is to play each and all Zeldas.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Rexroom posted:

That said, you have hours upon hours of sailing to do. :v:

I think the only time I ever spent more than two or three minutes at a time sailing was at the very, VERY beginning of the game, before you get the swift sail and the teleport song. The complaint about sea travel in Wind Waker was overblown even in the gamecube original, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Wind Waker HD's super sail makes sailing relatively painless, though, doesn't it? Also they removed some of the Triforce Piece Maps and the Tingle Tuner, so the hours upon hours of sailing (and rupee grinding to have Tingle 'translate' maps) have been greatly reduced- even if you're the sort of person who likes doing things as early as possible (i.e.- sans upgrades) in games.

Anyway, you already picked WW, so have fun!

ElTipejoLoco fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 22, 2016

• Locked thread