Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Is Claud someone we've seen before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Haven't seen but was mentioned as the guy who did the dollomancy for Charlescom's guns.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I hope this just got very interesting.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Haha, oh drat.

If this crosses back over with the trial plot, they can literally just bring in the bracer as evidence, ask it "what are the chances Charlescomm shot first" or something and it's all over for Charlie. Of course, they should probably ask "what are the odds Charlie kills us all with guns if we do that" first.

Either way, it is really satisfying when Charlie's schemes collapse like this. Which is the mark of a really good villain, I think, although obviously if it goes on too much longer it'll start having diminishing returns.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The important question here is whether Don is willing to accept the truth about Vanna and his big redemptive chance on the word of a weirdass artifact doing things it shouldn't be able to.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I wish the website would load for me.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Charlie doesn't want you to see the new strip.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Site's back, for those who had trouble earlier.

This whole arc has been basically Charlie playing a desperate game of speed chess against Fate itself trying to screw him in every possible way.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Main site's still 502'ing at intervals. If it happens to you, you can get the new comic from the Facebook or Twitter pages.

Kyte posted:

This whole arc has been basically Charlie playing a desperate game of speed chess against Fate itself trying to screw him in every possible way.

Worth noting that Fate can reasonably claim self-defence here! :v:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Was the perfect warlord spell something Charlie had a hand in? Is he being hoisted by his own Carnymancy? Cause that bracer is cheating the rules a bit...

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
We already know the bracer's subject to Fate tampering. It tried to fool Parson into thinking the spell to send him back would never work, remember?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I would assume that's why it's giving such a certain reading to Don King right now, where it's usually much more imprecise. It appears to be actively attempting to manipulate the side and sabotage Charlie.

I wonder how much of that is Fate and how much of that is the parameters of the Perfect Warlord spell, still trying to do its job.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Reene posted:

I wonder how much of that is Fate and how much of that is the parameters of the Perfect Warlord spell, still trying to do its job.

There's a difference? :v:

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Reene posted:

I would assume that's why it's giving such a certain reading to Don King right now, where it's usually much more imprecise. It appears to be actively attempting to manipulate the side and sabotage Charlie.

I like this explanation better than what I had been thinking, which is that this is how powerful the bracer is in the hands of a trained mathamancer.

Either way, though, the bracer seems nearly as game-breaking as the arkentools.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

nimby posted:

Was the perfect warlord spell something Charlie had a hand in?

Yeah. He wasn't directly involved in the link-up that cast it the first time (since he didn't have the Arkendish until he got it as spoils from defeating those two enemies), but he is the one that arranged it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mniot posted:

I like this explanation better than what I had been thinking, which is that this is how powerful the bracer is in the hands of a trained mathamancer.

Either way, though, the bracer seems nearly as game-breaking as the arkentools.

I'm calling it: all the Arkentools came in happy meals along with people summoned from earth, and this is Parson's.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm calling it: all the Arkentools came in happy meals along with people summoned from earth, and this is Parson's.

That'd wildly contradict previous worldbuilding. Plus the observed effects aren't consistent between the bracer and actual Arkentools.

It's powerful, yes, but not quite on the same level.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Plus the Arkentools are all 3D-rendered objects, and the bracer is just drawn, same as everything else.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Idran posted:

Plus the Arkentools are all 3D-rendered objects, and the bracer is just drawn, same as everything else.

This is the definitive proof tbh.

As for why it's giving such precise answers now, I think it's because the questions being asked are of past events, things that already happened. Parson used it to calculate coin flips, Benjamin is asking it whether a previously flipped coin was heads or tails. There's no ambiguity there.

Relatedly, I think the reason it gave such weird answers when Parson asked about the spell isn't necessarily because of Fate Shenanigans (not that we can ever rule that out), but because the questions he were asking were based on a false premise, namely it was some property unique to himself that would let him cast spells in general. Which wasn't exactly true, it wasn't exactly false, and there was a definite answer and not a probability range. So the bracer sort of glitched out because it had the answer but couldn't express it mathematically (maybe if it was a graphing calculator instead of a watch).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, right. The 3D render is surprisingly well-integrated, so well that I forgot it was a thing.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Carrasco posted:

As for why it's giving such precise answers now, I think it's because the questions being asked are of past events, things that already happened. Parson used it to calculate coin flips, Benjamin is asking it whether a previously flipped coin was heads or tails. There's no ambiguity there.

The way Ben is using it now, the bracer has upgraded again from oracle to portable omniscience.

"Bracers, chances of an enemy stack currently being in the hex to the north? Zero? To the north-west? One? Ok, chances of it being led?... By a warlord of level 1? 2? 3? 4, ok, with full stack?... with flyers?..."

... and so forth. And that is just about the most trivial use you can imagine. Apply the bracer to more serious matters, and you get to effortlessly outplay Charlie.

It may not be an artifact but I'd take the bracer over the Arkenhammer any day, probably over the Arkendish too, and I'd at least consider it over the Arkenpliers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah. Parson has been using it like a calculator, and whether it's because he's a Mathamancer unit or just not thinking of it just as a calculator, Ben has definitely been finding the right questions to ask.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'd say it really is an artifact, but not an arkentool.
And to be fair, Parson did ask the right questions, just of a different sort. Predicting the future is just as valuable, after all.

Carrasco posted:

This is the definitive proof tbh.

Relatedly, I think the reason it gave such weird answers when Parson asked about the spell isn't necessarily because of Fate Shenanigans (not that we can ever rule that out), but because the questions he were asking were based on a false premise, namely it was some property unique to himself that would let him cast spells in general. Which wasn't exactly true, it wasn't exactly false, and there was a definite answer and not a probability range. So the bracer sort of glitched out because it had the answer but couldn't express it mathematically (maybe if it was a graphing calculator instead of a watch).

No, it was deliberately loving with him. Check for yourself.

quote:

“Odds of: me as a warlord, as I am, casting this Carnymancy spell, right here and now.”

Again, a number flashed quickly, but changed to: 0.0
[...]
“True/false: I could create conditions here and now that would give me non-zero odds of casting the Carnymancy spell.”

T, read the display.

Then, suddenly: F
What's most telling is that right as he's about to cast he gets knocked out by a falling beam. That's totally Fate fuckery.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 24, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten the exact wording of the questions he asked. He described it as being "railroaded by two different DMs", which sounds pretty accurate.

Anyway, I bet the bracer is going to get ruined now that it's being used like this, either because it could mess up fate or because it's just way too easy a plot device (same thing?). The bracer itself seemed pretty solid--"like hard plastic" or something--but that watch is probably pretty crappy and breakable.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Carrasco posted:

Anyway, I bet the bracer is going to get ruined now that it's being used like this

Or it'll remain in Transylvitan hands.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
On the Erfworld Wiki, one can find this shiny mystery box:

https://wiki.erfworld.com/Word_of_the_Titans#2198313

quote:

Re: What about Parson's friends?

True spoiler, from the author. Think before clicking, please. Seriously.

Has anyone dared click it? Is it a joke? Does it ruin the comic?? :psyduck:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's certainly... interesting. In a good way.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

That spoiler is from nearly 10 years ago. Oh god this thing has been going on (hiatus) for a long time.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

It's also definitely a spoiler. I wouldn't say it ruins the comic but if you dislike spoilers you should definitely avoid it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It doesn't really spoil anything IMO.

It's about as spoilery as, say, Rowling saying that there will probably be a scene involving both Snape and Dumbledore in a book after the first. Yes but how? That doesn't tell you that Snape kills Dumbledore so you can speculate in a thousand directions. So here's my speculation: The way he's phrased his answer also implies that it's not solid yet, it's all made conditional by "there are some plans" and "if everything goes as we hope it will" and in fact the way I read it, it seems to me he was basically planning a spin-off series. You don't write "if everything goes as hoped" to describe your writing process, you use it to describe a planned venture.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

It's from 9 years ago and it has yet to happen. It's not going to he relevant for at least another 2 artists drawing the comic.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Oh boy. We knew he was a traitor, but not "the highest ranking archon ever to leave Charlescomm".

I also like the line "He's not Decrypted, I don't expect him to see the urgency" which is a really tactful way to refer to one's own supernatural, unswerving devotion.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Carrasco posted:

Oh boy. We knew he was a traitor, but not "the highest ranking archon ever to leave Charlescomm".

I also like the line "He's not Decrypted, I don't expect him to see the urgency" which is a really tactful way to refer to one's own supernatural, unswerving devotion.

She's saying that she is the highest ranking archon to ever leave Charlescomm, and thus is better at negotiating than Stanley and should be the one who engages in diplomacy.

The focus on Thomas is to imply that he's the proper target of the diplomacy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The situation is looking kind of ominous for Vanna. Did Bennie really convince Don King?

And the idea that this guy is an archon? That seems far-fetched, and not just because he's a guy and all archons seen so far are female.

I agree with Sefer that the line refers to the archon in GK, but I don't think it's her who is saying that line: she's the one who objected to diplomacy and the chief warlord is the one dismissing the idea of using Stanley and claiming there's no alternative than diplomacy. He's telling her he's got a mission for her, basically.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 27, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Oh, that makes a lot more sense (and reads better right after "I wasn't thinking of Stanley"). I thought the implication was Thomas was an archon using some kind of Uberveil.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Cat Mattress posted:

I agree with Sefer that the line refers to the archon in GK, but I don't think it's her who is saying that line: she's the one who objected to diplomacy and the chief warlord is the one dismissing the idea of using Stanley and claiming there's no alternative than diplomacy. He's telling her he's got a mission for her, basically.

Yeah, you're right, I wasn't paying enough attention to who was speaking.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cat Mattress posted:

The situation is looking kind of ominous for Vanna. Did Bennie really convince Don King?

I'm pretty sure Vanna's gonna be appreciating the view of the underside of the balcony before the night is over.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I'm pretty sure Vanna's gonna be appreciating the view of the underside of the balcony before the night is over.

If she's lucky.

It's easy to forget because of his face and demeanor and the general circumstances, but this is still a vampire baring his fangs at someone who just walked to dinner with him alone. And there's no food on those plates.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Today dinner is self-serve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Cat Mattress posted:

And the idea that this guy is an archon? That seems far-fetched, and not just because he's a guy and all archons seen so far are female.

Maybe the that guy is an archon from before Charlie attuned the arkendish, and didn't care for the way he was running things?