Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Remember when Geoff Johns turned Alexander Luthor and Superboy from COIE into villains? One of which was shown tearing off limbs and brutally murdering teenage heroes on panel?

Now he's pointing the finger at other people for "missing the point" and making heroes too dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think after reading the various rundowns and articles the thing that surprises me most out of this is how much of a complete indictment of the New 52 this seems to be. I mean the book is basically telling you "The last five years of stories were bad" and that's either a big realization on their part or them just coming clean after knowing the whole time. Either way it feels they realize what the problem is and are at least attempting to address it.

Also I don't think Johns is trying to say he's innocent in all this. I think he realizes that he was doing wrong as well and this is him trying to course correct. Just because you've screwed up doesn't mean you can't try to fix it even if you fail spectacularly.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The third army didnt need to show in detail the assimilation process

Volthoom MO was to destroy their foes spirit using his reality bending powers, plus what he does to the people bonded to his ring

Forever Evil is obvious although stands out Owlman's backstory, particularly what happened to his Dick Grayson
Okay so the extent of Johns' grimness in the Nu52 is making some really evil villains. Gotcha.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Blackest Night wanted to be simplistically superheroic but was so over the top that it veered right past 'parody grimdark' and into 'just plain grimdark.'
That was pre-Nu52. I know all about Johns' penchant for absurd graphic grimdark that's not nearly as cool as Johns thinks it is, but I'm just asking if there's been anything approaching that kind of poo poo since the Flashpoint reboot, because someone literally just asked "Didn't Johns have a leading role in creating the nu52?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

But what was the most subversively grimdark Moore-esque thing Johns has done in the Nu52? Making Billy Batson an rear end in a top hat? I haven't given much poo poo about Johns' stuff lately but as far as I know most of it has been largely, simplistically superheroic.

He didn't just make Billy Batson an rear end in a top hat. He made him declare openly that nobody was actually good and then use his powers to scam money.

Like gently caress, people talk about how Zach Snyder doesn't get Superman or Batman but Geoff Johns understands Captain Marvel more poorly than Zach Snyder does those characters.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

He was kind of fun to give Superman someone else to bounce off of, too, I felt, until he inevitably became "dude from another world hiding poo poo and everything he said was a lie and he tries to kill people because his planet literally runs on people and has been for forever and he feels bad about it but oh well but then superman convinces him to do better and they try and oops everything goes bad anyway and he blames superman for it all and decides to blow up the earth and then superman cheats with a new power out of his rear end and now the bad guy who used to be a good guy is sitting in a cell brooding until someone else decides to use him as a one note villain because actually providing these super people with therapy and support and rehabilitating them is secondary to putting them in a cell with no privacy still covered in dirt and poo poo and leaving them 100% alone to reflect on how evil they were and that will never backfire"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Just contract Chip Zdarsky you fucks http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=13655

Well, we know why Archie are replacing him with Ryan North, now.

Or is that a smokescreen for their new mature readers' title: Sex With Archie?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

He didn't just make Billy Batson an rear end in a top hat. He made him declare openly that nobody was actually good and then use his powers to scam money.

Like gently caress, people talk about how Zach Snyder doesn't get Superman or Batman but Geoff Johns understands Captain Marvel more poorly than Zach Snyder does those characters.

the whole point of the story was him rising above that

much like the whole point of the first justice league arc was them going from being pissy at each other to beating Darkseid

much like Simon Baz went from having to steal cars to make ends meet to being the Green Lantern doing all kinds of impossible poo poo because no one told him he couldn't

it's all there, the intent and the execution are always the same, people overcome flaws that are made very clear and very literal, and achieve greatness

we can debate how well he does it, but let's not claim he doesn't

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ElNarez posted:

the whole point of the story was him rising above that

So? How does that defeat my point? How is having to have Captain Marvel 'rise above that' any different than having Superman angst and be sad or Batman use guns and shoot people?

The point of Captain Marvel is that he is optimism and childish hope given literal form. Having him be or start as the avatar for cynicism and bitterness is completely lovely, even if he 'grows out of it' to getting his rear end beat by Batman and whining about wanting to play X-Box.

Nu52 Captain Marvel loving sucks and if Rebirth gets rid of him that alone will be a huge improvement.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 21, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BrianWilly posted:

Okay so the extent of Johns' grimness in the Nu52 is making some really evil villains. Gotcha.
That was pre-Nu52. I know all about Johns' penchant for absurd graphic grimdark that's not nearly as cool as Johns thinks it is, but I'm just asking if there's been anything approaching that kind of poo poo since the Flashpoint reboot, because someone literally just asked "Didn't Johns have a leading role in creating the nu52?"

His role as the person actually writing the scripts and his role as chief creative executive or whatever get a little muddy. He tends to work on the big, line-wide crossovers that mess with reality every couple of years, which are also editorially mandated most of the time, so it's difficult to say exactly how much of the New 52 status quo owes to either him or DiDio, and it's also difficult to say how much the five years of stories that have come since then have John's fingerprints on them vs. DiDio's, or the individual group editors. The New 52 is overflowing with horror stories of creators being told how to create, driven off by meddling editors, having their work changed after they had turned it in, etc. and I'm not saying it's fair to lay all the blame on Johns but he is along with DiDio and Jim Lee one of the major driving forces behind the overall direction and tone of the company.

And the stuff that came before the New 52 is absolutely relevant as that was the stuff that got Johns the power he's had at DC the last decade or so, which he wouldn't have been tapped for a "leading role" in creating the new continuity to begin with. People saw Blackest Night and thought "This is the guy we want".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As much as I rag on Johns, and I don't think he's a very good writer now, I love his Flash run. That's why it was so disheartening to me that he was the one that basically destroyed the character that he and Waid did such good work on. If that was Johns we had been seeing for the last 10 years I think I'd have a very different opinion of him right now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

As much as I rag on Johns, and I don't think he's a very good writer now, I love his Flash run. That's why it was so disheartening to me that he was the one that basically destroyed the character that he and Waid did such good work on. If that was Johns we had been seeing for the last 10 years I think I'd have a very different opinion of him right now.

Johns had an excellent Flash run, yeah.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's kind of why I see him writing Wally as the focal point of all this being his "Yeah, I know I hosed up" moment.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

X-O posted:

I think after reading the various rundowns and articles the thing that surprises me most out of this is how much of a complete indictment of the New 52 this seems to be. I mean the book is basically telling you "The last five years of stories were bad" and that's either a big realization on their part or them just coming clean after knowing the whole time. Either way it feels they realize what the problem is and are at least attempting to address it.
A lot of Johns' stories do this, frankly. Infinite Crisis and Blackest Night -- in theory -- both more or less ascribed to the premise of "Here is a figurative problem that the fanbase has had with our stories in recent memory. Now the heroes get to literally punch this problem in the face!" I mean, the end results are mixed and the metaphors get a bit hosed up by his execution, but Johns is completely cool with ragging on older stories in order to market newer stories. He's doing it now with the Snyder films, in fact. It's affecting an air of "I'm totally with you guys, I see all the problems you all see too! Now follow me with your wallets as I lead you through these troubles!" It would probably sound more disingenuous if he didn't, in fact, come across like such a genuine DC Fan most of the time.

The problem is that, yeah, just because he criticizes some of the stories doesn't mean he isn't prone to making the same mistakes that he's criticizing, and long-time readers are pretty aware of that. Hence some of the responses here. I guess we'll just have to see if history repeats itself again.

...Except that he's not writing any more books after this...so, evidently we'll have to see if whoever DC picks to helm the big Dr. Manhattan punchathon will be able to deliver on what Johns is selling here. :v:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

...Except that he's not writing any more books after this...so, evidently we'll have to see if whoever DC picks to helm the big Dr. Manhattan punchathon will be able to deliver on what Johns is selling here. :v:

Well, that article above has Johns saying that the confrontation with Manhattan will not be a punching thing. But then again he won't be writing it so who knows.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

So? How does that defeat my point? How is having to have Captain Marvel 'rise above that' any different than having Superman angst and be sad or Batman use guns and shoot people?

The point of Captain Marvel is that he is optimism and childish hope given literal form. Having him be or start as the avatar for cynicism and bitterness is completely lovely, even if he 'grows out of it' to getting his rear end beat by Batman and whining about wanting to play X-Box.

Nu52 Captain Marvel loving sucks and if Rebirth gets rid of him that alone will be a huge improvement.

Because it affirms the exact thing you're saying. It challenges the values assigned to Captain Marvel, and, using action as a way to do its demonstration, shows how those values are the ones to be adopted and followed. It's using conflict to affirm that much louder that being bitter and cynical is lovely and goes nowhere. It gives Billy texture, reasons for why he is the way he is.

That way of characterizing people is old as hell, it's pretty much the reason why Marvel got successfull in the first place. We could complain about how Spider-Man starts out irresponsible and vain, but, you know, he rises above that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ElNarez posted:

Because it affirms the exact thing you're saying. It challenges the values assigned to Captain Marvel, and, using action as a way to do its demonstration, shows how those values are the ones to be adopted and followed. It's using conflict to affirm that much louder that being bitter and cynical is lovely and goes nowhere. It gives Billy texture, reasons for why he is the way he is.

That way of characterizing people is old as hell, it's pretty much the reason why Marvel got successfull in the first place. We could complain about how Spider-Man starts out irresponsible and vain, but, you know, he rises above that.

That would be great if the story did that but it didn't. It recycled better stories by other Captain Marvel writers and left us with a character who exists only so writers can whine about kids these days.

Also the 'it gives Billy texture" is laughable if you actually read any pre-Nu52 Captain Marvel. It's so tiring how people keep defending the terrible reboot with "well, old Captain Marvel had nothing" as if, even if you discount the original character, Power of Shazam or Monster Society of Evil or countless other versions of the character didn't exist.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 21, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Well, that article above has Johns saying that the confrontation with Manhattan will not be a punching thing. But then again he won't be writing it so who knows.

I assume it'll be J'onn or Superman having a sit-down with him, in the vein of Laurie's pitch to him in the original book.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

You know all of this just really sounds like a job for The Multiversity. I seem to recall Morrison made a Dr. Manhattan-esque character back in Superman Beyond. You could have a whole issue of them philosophising the nature of life, heroes, light and darkness. Show Manhattan the Orrey of Worlds have him be a sub Judge or something. Or gently caress it have the Superjudge just come in and unmake this dumbass premise.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/734044325206597637
https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/734044764987740162

Come on Rob, New Coke is a little harsh huh? It wasn't that bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wow, I suddenly love Rob Liefeld.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Go, Rob!

I'm hoping with DC's rebirth that I don't have to see the word "grimdark" come up in conversation, or people completely miss the point of New 52 Shazam. I'd also like Batman Incorporated to come back, also known as some of the easiest money DC comics has left on the table.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What was the point of the New 52 Shazam.

Also they will go grim dark within the rebirth issue I bet.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CharlestheHammer posted:

What was the point of the New 52 Shazam.

Also they will go grim dark within the rebirth issue I bet.

To have him start out lovely and be lovely almost the whole time but eventually end up exactly where he was pre-n52.

Just like everything else.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

To have him start out lovely and be lovely almost the whole time but eventually end up exactly where he was pre-n52.

Just like everything else.

Yeah I don't particularly care about Shazam and was fine with the new guy but he didn't do anything special.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I love the Dr. Manhattan thing, I don't care if it makes absolutely no sense.

Hopefully there are a bunch of fun DC comics published after this but I'm not really holding my breath on that.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Was Dial H pre or post N52? That always felt like one of the most unique comic books during its run. By China Melville.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
This whole reboot was worth it just for Raven to look far less stupid than before.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Jiro posted:

Was Dial H pre or post N52? That always felt like one of the most unique comic books during its run. By China Melville.

I believe that was actually a New 52 launch title, and probably the best of the bunch IMHO.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I believe that was actually a New 52 launch title, and probably the best of the bunch IMHO.

Agreed, the plot, and art were so drat good. Especially all the covers. It always felt like a title that could have happened with or without the New 52 launch.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

There were quite a lot of good comics in the New 52— Dial H has already been mentioned, but there's also stuff like Morrison's Action Comics and Batman Incorporated – which are better critiques of DC than Johns could hope to write – Azarello's Wonder Woman, the whole run of Phantom Stranger where he's Judas, Charles Soule's Swamp Thing and Red Lanterns, probably others. Honestly it's probably less grimdark and better quality than the era preceding it, reputation notwithstanding. Having said that, I read some of the New 52 Deathstroke where the main character unrepentantly kills some children, so it certainly didn't get that reputation from nowhere.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I like the idea that Batman's ultimate shameful secret is that he turns out to be a lovely rip off of Nite Owl.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Fangz posted:

I like the idea that Batman's ultimate shameful secret is that he turns out to be a lovely rip off of Nite Owl.

Can it be canon that Nite Owl has been fighting the Court of Bats back on Watchmen-earth while Manhattan has been screwing around in space?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Not quite - it was part of the second set of New 52 titles launched in spring 2012, after some of the lowest-selling books from the original launch (anybody remember Blackhawks?) were cancelled.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!
Thing is: the lettered preview pages from the one-shot are actually pretty good! I expect a lot of the Rebirth books to be pretty good!

Which just makes the pathetic, deeply cynical Watchmen twist stand out all the more.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Remembering the New 52 Fallen:

Blackhawks
Savage Hawkman
Hawk & Dove
Mister Terrific
OMAC
Static Shock
GI Combat
Men of War
Star Spangled War Stories
Ravagers
Captain Atom
Resurrection Man
Trinity of Sin - Pandora
Trinity of Sin - Phantom Stranger
Trinity of SIn
Voodoo
Grifter
Team 7
Stormwatch
Threshold
Larfleeze
T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents
Katana
Justice League of America's Vibe
Nightforce
Sword & Sorcery
Klarion
The Green Team
The Movement
Doomed

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Edge & Christian posted:

Blackhawks
Savage Hawkman
Hawk & Dove
Mister Terrific
OMAC
Static Shock
GI Combat
Men of War
Ravagers
Captain Atom
Resurrection Man
Trinity of Sin - Pandora
Trinity of SIn
Voodoo
Grifter
Team 7
Stormwatch
Threshold
Larfleeze
T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents
Katana
Nightforce
Sword & Sorcery
Klarion
The Green Team
The Movement
Doomed

I will never understand DC's fixation on having a war comic in the early stages of the N52.

You also forgot DC Universe Presents and Justice League International

Anyways, this made me laugh

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Off-hand the only New 52 titles I remember enjoying were Wonder Woman under Azzarello, The Omega Men and Prez.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 22, 2016

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I will never understand DC's fixation on having a war comic in the early stages of the N52.

War comics are a pretty big part of DC's history, and they were trying to have lots of variety in their early N52 stuff. Not just superhero comics, but war comics, horror, etc.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Edge & Christian posted:

Blackhawks
Savage Hawkman
Hawk & Dove
Mister Terrific
OMAC
Static Shock
GI Combat
Men of War
Ravagers
Captain Atom
Resurrection Man
Trinity of Sin - Pandora
Trinity of SIn
Voodoo
Grifter
Team 7
Stormwatch
Threshold
Larfleeze
T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents
Katana
Nightforce
Sword & Sorcery
Klarion
The Green Team
The Movement
Doomed

You forgot Demon Knights too, but that's ok because Demon Knights lives on in my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nuns with Guns posted:

You forgot Demon Knights too, but that's ok because Demon Knights lives on in my heart

Demon Knights was too good for this world.

• Locked thread