Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

OwlFancier posted:

Well it's a good thing that we'll have fusion power and quantum computers by then to solve the processing power issues.

If it's a private network, an early 90s computer has enough power to process ~~the blockchain~~
If it's a public network, the algorithm is designed to scale the difficulty so that each block takes about 10 minutes. So quantum computing and fusion power would not solve the power issues for more than 2016 blocks, after which it would scale the difficulty up to a level where a block will take about 10 minutes to solve.

(assuming the quantum computer does not break the underlying cryptographic technology fundamentally, but then you have bigger worries, like encryption in general)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha, I love it. Your business losing ground due to possibly unethical and unlawful business practices? Clearly you're not being unethical and unlawful enough. Next up, Uber will use your credit score, paycheck information, sex, race, age, alcohol intoxication level, housing address or criminal record to further determine how your particular disadvantages and fears can be used to estimate your level of desperation and gouge you out of some additional ride fare. :perfect:

Someone needs to change the text in :hurr: to disrupt.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
This is imo a very revealing page https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty

The current difficulty is 194,254,820,283. It went up by 8.73% on May 11. The change in difficulty was 15,595,562,510. If you scroll down to the bottom of the list, you can find that the difficulty was 19,729,645,941 in Aug 08 2014.

The changes in difficulty are as big as the total difficulty was less than two years ago.

Actually, that is a surprisingly long time, speaking as someone who has followed bitcoin more than anyone should. It used to be less than a year.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Forbes article isn't loading for me, what does it say?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

WarpedLichen posted:

How is it really worse than what software the modern financial system is currently doing in terms of efficiency and scalability? I don't own any bitcoin or anything but it doesn't seem like there's really a much better way of storing chains of transactions, unless you're talking about getting rid of the peer to peer aspect.

A buttchain without the peer-to-peer aspect is just a ledger that you don't delete stuff from.

WarpedLichen posted:

What is causing transactions to be so slow? Is it just the computational time required to generate the proof of work, which seems like it should be adjustable, or is it because there are enough competing chains that rewinds are happening a lot?

If it is the former and by design, it doesn't sound like it's too awful compared to credit card transactions for example which can take days to process.
It's by design, and since all the lovely computers in the world would need time to update their buttchains it probably can't be eliminated entirely.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Wheany posted:

This is imo a very revealing page https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty

The current difficulty is 194,254,820,283. It went up by 8.73% on May 11. The change in difficulty was 15,595,562,510. If you scroll down to the bottom of the list, you can find that the difficulty was 19,729,645,941 in Aug 08 2014.

The changes in difficulty are as big as the total difficulty was less than two years ago.

Actually, that is a surprisingly long time, speaking as someone who has followed bitcoin more than anyone should. It used to be less than a year.

Question for you, since you seem to be reasonably aware of bitcoin while still being sane. If someone was mining buttcoins with a reasonably powerful desktop in late 2012 or early 2013 for shits and giggles, what would be the expected rate?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

PJOmega posted:

Question for you, since you seem to be reasonably aware of bitcoin while still being sane. If someone was mining buttcoins with a reasonably powerful desktop in late 2012 or early 2013 for shits and giggles, what would be the expected rate?

you might get a cent after 20 years

all the serious buttcoin miners use custom hardware specifically designed to do the hashing functions as fast as possible, a normal cpu can't keep up (nor can a 10-20 gpu system anymore)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Cultural Imperial posted:

Is there a single comp sci student out there who can look at a block chain and think hmmmm yes this works efficiently and scales well?

my phd advisor and some comp scientists over here have been thinking of using it for data sharing between labs and stuff. i tell him it's a bad idea that would cost our lab a lot of time and money for an extremely insecure network

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Condiv posted:

you might get a cent after 20 years

all the serious buttcoin miners use custom hardware specifically designed to do the hashing functions as fast as possible, a normal cpu can't keep up (nor can a 10-20 gpu system anymore)

Nono, if they had mined back in 2012/2013 as a shits-and-giggles thing. A co-worker liked lamenting about his "lost millions" from not having his btc saved and I've wondered if it was even possible.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

PJOmega posted:

Nono, if they had mined back in 2012/2013 as a shits-and-giggles thing. A co-worker liked lamenting about his "lost millions" from not having his btc saved and I've wondered if it was even possible.

it would be more likely, but relatively unlikely. 2012-2013 was right before the mtgox crash, so we definitely had gpu miners in play at that point, and the serious ones were giving themselves permanent brain damage with the heat produced by 20-30 gpus.

i mined some bitcoin back when it first came out (like in 2009), as a curiosity, and back then you could get a "fortune" in today's bitcoins with your computer. getting usd out of bitcoins has always been real loving hard (especially at the millions point) though so I dunno if your coworker would've got anything anyway

Condiv fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 22, 2016

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Condiv posted:

it would be more likely, but relatively unlikely. 2012-2013 was right before the mtgox crash, so we definitely had gpu miners in play at that point, and the serious ones were giving themselves permanent brain damage with the heat produced by 20-30 gpus.

Was Mtgox's crash really that long ago? I've followed BTC in the "haha what the hell Libertarian funbux" mining-rig and exchange scams manner without looking too much under the mining hood. Maybe my timeline is wrong but whoa. Anyway, thanks for the responses, will stop gumming the thread.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PJOmega posted:

Was Mtgox's crash really that long ago? I've followed BTC in the "haha what the hell Libertarian funbux" mining-rig and exchange scams manner without looking too much under the mining hood. Maybe my timeline is wrong but whoa. Anyway, thanks for the responses, will stop gumming the thread.

Yeah it just feels like it's recent because the buttcoin idiot train is still rolling.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

PJOmega posted:

Well, if someone got bitcoin from that time, the value is now 5-50 times more than it was back then unless they got them right at the end of 13 as the price peaked.

If you're talking about the difficulty back then, according to The wayback machine, it was around 1 million in January 2012 and 150 million in in September 2013.

As opposed to 200000 million as it is now.

I'm pretty sure mining at home was barely worth it back then especially when the price kept going up up up, but exchanging your bitcoins to actual money might have been a problem.

The way mining works is if you get lucky and find the next block, you receive 25 bitcoins. At current exchange rate that's about $1 million $10k. If you're part of a pool and someone in the pool gets lucky, you get some fraction of that based on your hashrate.

Also in 2016, your computer is competing against Chinese warehouses full of specialized hardware:

Wheany fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 22, 2016

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Cultural Imperial posted:

Cmon man have you guys even heard of riak or Cassandra

Yes, not sure what the relevance of columnar databases is to autism kroners ?

WarpedLichen posted:

What is causing transactions to be so slow? Is it just the computational time required to generate the proof of work, which seems like it should be adjustable, or is it because there are enough competing chains that rewinds are happening a lot?

Bitcoin was an interesting toy that's useless for any real work. The network currently consumes the same amount of electricity as Ireland and manages an amazing 3 transactions a second, which is about as fast as it will ever go because of unfixable problems with it's design.

quote:

If it is the former and by design, it doesn't sound like it's too awful compared to credit card transactions for example which can take days to process.
Where are credit card transactions taking days to process ?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Bitcoin chat sure is fun

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Wheany posted:

The way mining works is if you get lucky and find the next block, you receive 25 bitcoins. At current exchange rate that's about $1 million. If you're part of a pool and someone in the pool gets lucky, you get some fraction of that based on your hashrate.

Bitcoins are at $400 not $40k. You get $10k (hypothetically, in amazon gift cards that may or may not be used or from Chinese money launderers that may or may not get disappeared) per block.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 22, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

blowfish posted:

Bitcoins are at $400 not $40k.

Math is hard lol

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/733496972498370561

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's.... Uh huh.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
It's from the point of view that assuming a crash does happen, how do you minimise the damage? Not saying that particular idea is good way to do it, but assuming some idea along those lines can be made to work reliably it would be good to have. Regardless of whether the car is being driven by a human or computer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In my non-physics-equipped brain, I can see that one impact, to the car and then stuck, is better than multiple impacts, to the car and then into the air and then who knows where.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My main thought was a car with this solution not realizing that it had actually hit something and just driving around with a screaming person stuck to its hood for miles. :v:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In my non-physics-equipped brain, I can see that one impact, to the car and then stuck, is better than multiple impacts, to the car and then into the air and then who knows where.

Xoidanor posted:

My main thought was a car with this solution not realizing that it had actually hit something and just driving around with a screaming person stuck to its hood for miles. :v:

this is a problem with this solution. if the vehicle is malfunctioning enough to hit a pedestrian in the first place, can we trust it to cause no further damage to the pedestrian stuck to it? plus, a person who's been hit is likely to be suffering neck trauma or spinal cord injuries. how are emts supposed to safely and reliably remove the victim without exacerbating such injuries?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Wouldn't the sticky coat become useless after like a week of driving due to road dust and other poo poo sticking to it?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Wouldn't the sticky coat become useless after like a week of driving due to road dust and other poo poo sticking to it?

If it's just regular glue, unavoidably. But I would hope that there's more to it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

Plenty of c-suite types have very little separating work from lifestyle so it's not surprising they report long hours

I thought about strategy, read some reports, answered email, dined with people, gave a presentation in a tropical getaway, etc; that racks up a lot of fuzzy time

ToxicSlurpee posted:

CEOs have been pretty routinely padding their hours with stupid bullshit for like...ever. An all day golf outing with your business partners counts as a day's work if you're c-level.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

So what your saying is a Ceo has an average workweek of 35 hours. Since my travel, exercise, and personal appointments don't count in my 40 hour week usually.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Xoidanor posted:

If it's just regular glue, unavoidably. But I would hope that there's more to it.

It could very well just be an idea. "Wouldn't it be cool if the pedestrian was stuck to the hood of the car and not get run over? Original idea, do not steal"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hughlander posted:

So what your saying is a Ceo has an average workweek of 35 hours. Since my travel, exercise, and personal appointments don't count in my 40 hour week usually.

Yeah no poo poo. Travel I can see if it's required for work purposes - not so much 'morning commute' as 'fly to Belgium for a business meeting' - but exercise? How is that work?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Arsenic Lupin posted:

typically the fatal impact of a car striking a pedestrian occurs when the ped's skull smacks into the ground at speed afterward

it's an interesting but dumb idea because:

Tuxedo Gin posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Hughlander posted:

the WSJ is saiyan that CEOs are self-reporting it, thinking that they work 55 hour weeks yes

because it is the WSJ and they are poop from a butt

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i'd also take issue w/ "business meals" so really more like 30

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Xoidanor posted:

There's a shell over the adhesive that would break on impact. Not sure how practical that would still be but who knows.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Hughlander posted:

So for them that works out to, what...$7-8000 an hour rather than $4000?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

pangstrom posted:

There's a shell over the adhesive that would break on impact. Not sure how practical that would still be but who knows.

It is not practical, the whole idea is laughable and I'm pretty sure it would just mean you hit your head on the car instead of the ground.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Can't you patent just about any idea, no matter how stupid or impossible?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

The Larch posted:

Can't you patent just about any idea, no matter how stupid or impossible?

No. It's actually quite hard to find a concise summary of "what is patentable", but I'll try, using US patent law as a guide:

Perpetual motion machines are explicitly banned.
A patentable invention must be novel, at least in part; non-obvious; useful (provides some identifiable benefit and is capable of use), and must be patentable subject matter.

Those last few requirements are actually not easy to beat, since non-obvious is "not obvious to someone familiar with the state of the art".

I'll warn that I'm not a lawyer, let alone a patent lawyer.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Explain the existence of stupid trivial software patents.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Xoidanor posted:

It's happened before, although the driver knew but didn't care:

quote:

Chante Jawan Mallard struck 37-year-old Gregory Glen Biggs, a homeless man, with her automobile. The force of the crash lodged Biggs into the windshield. Mallard then drove home, and left the man in her windshield where he later died. 

Probably where Google got the idea. ... Wait, is this prior art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay But Crush Puss
May 19, 2016

by zen death robot

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Explain the existence of stupid trivial software patents.

Patent examiners are overworked dipshits and judges are technologically vapid dipshits