Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also I don't understand Shen's minigame at all as someone who hasn't played him yet, which I'm pretty sure is a readability failing on Riot's part

There's sometimes an uninteractable sword on the ground, and occasionally it instantly flies to him and he gets a shield? Or something? I'm not sure what "counterplay" exists for it, nor do I care because he's either too tanky to be a first priority, or real easy to burst down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Neurolimal posted:

Poppy's kit wasn't broken, it just made tradeoffs for the privilege of being a terrifying lategame assassin that could be tanky and immune to 4/5 enemies for a while

The kit was only broken if you believe that every hero should be good always, or hate targetted skills. I honestly haven't played her since the rework because she just seems kind of dull and pointless now.
Poppy was actually broken but specifically because she was so weak in most cases and niche that you either made her unplayable weak or extremely overpowered and her kit needed changed so they could balance her again. Her new update is fine made a new popular top laner versus a barely played champion.

Neurolimal posted:

Also I don't understand Shen's minigame at all as someone who hasn't played him yet, which I'm pretty sure is a readability failing on Riot's part

There's sometimes an uninteractable sword on the ground, and occasionally it instantly flies to him and he gets a shield? Or something? I'm not sure what "counterplay" exists for it, nor do I care because he's either too tanky to be a first priority, or real easy to burst down.
The mini game makes sense, it's just not fun. You drag around his sword with your abilities and when it goes through a unit it causes damage. The issue with the Shen rework is they just ended up adding a gimmick to all of his abilities and he's been played a lot less since the rework because it was just needlessly complicated. I used to main Shen support and it was effective because he was melee but had ranged poke, he could sustain and tank damage in all-ins, and he was very effective at snowballing other lanes.

Now his trading feels so clunky and it's just not much fun in general because you've got to position yourself constantly in a way that dragging his dumb spooky blade around does damage.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 22, 2016

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

full disclosure: i once won 15 games in a row as shen top in plat so i am very biased about how cool and good old shen was

my biggest problem with new shen was that it felt like in long drawn out fights you were forced to use your first taunt as a flash taunt because if you missed it you would run out of energy since his energy is tied heavily to hitting taunt and/or attacking people with q on. shen feels like cassiopia to me in that the rework just made him feel worse to play and he already had a very solid position in both public and competitive play without being a top pick or ban. like i think the reason i find it so frustrating is mostly because there are champs in the game that could have used some developers time much more efficiently.

i think old shen could be kind of boring to lane against since he pretty much would just spam q and be unkillable no matter what but new shen is just worse against ranged champs and vs melee he puts down the field and you can't fight him, its not really some kind of super interactive lane.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Old shen was pretty cool because he actually felt similar to his art/voice; an aloof ninja that waits for the right moment to show up out of the jungle to save allies and pull Wacky Ninja Antics, or he laned and threw swords at people from the bushes.

Does new shen still have AP ratios? Giving a focused carry a 1500 damage shield was always hilarious

As for being a problem: last time I played he was in a balanced place, he had a niche he was really good at but could be countered and needed to be built around, similar to old Veigar or old Twisted Fate. He wasn't really a Kassadini situation outside of Season 1.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Really, I think Riot's obsession with removing targetted abilities has caused more problems on reworked heroes than solutions. Sometimes an ability needs to be targetted because it has punishingly low range or is required to set up the rest of their skills, and giving it a longer range skillshot results in a schizophrenic "long range god" or "beaten by standing next to creeps" situation.

He's been overshadowed by the nuts Malzahar and Zyra reworks, but all the compensation to make up for gutting Veigar's Q and E have resulted in a hero who often gets 100+ AP on top of item AP by the end of the laning phase, a large section of which generated from fat air on top of farming.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 22, 2016

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
what's the point in having a sword if you can't slice people up with it

it's like if cloud in ff7 could only cast fruity spells

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
http://plays.tv/video/5741b992b5701efeb5/hehe-xd

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Rengo Paaaaaunch

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
veigar support is good if you have teammates that arent bad

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

veigar support is good if you have teammates that arent bad

Who said otherwise?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Veigar support is the most fun I've had in this game

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

frajaq posted:

Veigar support is the most fun I've had in this game

I was surprised by the new buffs because they have shown nothing but scorn towards Veigar as a support, and then they give him a new passive that lets him farm off harass and synergizes with frost queen.

I still dont like the ult change though; more reliable? Sure. But a lot of its interesting elements came from being a unique ability that scaled with the enemy mages, allowing either a dramatic midlane comeback, or a terrifying underfed support laner.

Now it's just a typical 0.8 nuke, that turns into garen's ult.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 22, 2016

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
e:stupid awful app

gvibes fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 23, 2016

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mystery Prize posted:

Down 15 kills, 6 towers, an inhib, a fire dragon, two water dragons, every laner down by ~30-60 cs, and we can't leave our base or the 14 kill leblanc one shots one of us due to no vision:

"We can still win, we have lategame" and the surrender vote fails 1/4

Why? :psyduck:

if people recognize that you're being an rear end in a top hat and playing flippantly to try to lose more quickly they will absolutely vote no on surrender votes and draw the game out as much as they can to egg you on

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm surprised at how rarely I see the Support Statik Shiv; 50% crit chance for 8 seconds seems like a pretty great bonus if you can coordinate itemization for your carry. And both the crit chance and 20% AP could work well for a duo queue top + jungle strat.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

DolphinCop posted:

if people recognize that you're being an rear end in a top hat and playing flippantly to try to lose more quickly they will absolutely vote no on surrender votes and draw the game out as much as they can to egg you on

I genuinely vote No on surrenders if the person calling them is an rear end in a top hat, precisely so that noone else has to deal with them (at least for a few extra minutes).

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

The mini game makes sense, it's just not fun. You drag around his sword with your abilities and when it goes through a unit it causes damage. The issue with the Shen rework is they just ended up adding a gimmick to all of his abilities and he's been played a lot less since the rework because it was just needlessly complicated. I used to main Shen support and it was effective because he was melee but had ranged poke, he could sustain and tank damage in all-ins, and he was very effective at snowballing other lanes.

Now his trading feels so clunky and it's just not much fun in general because you've got to position yourself constantly in a way that dragging his dumb spooky blade around does damage.

Shen's sword pull actually never does damage. If they're hit by the flying sword they're slowed IF they're moving away from Shen, and the enhanced autos are extra enhanced. They turned him from kind of a ninja into some sort of weird dude dragging a sword around like a dog leashed to a heavy object.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BigLeafyTree posted:

Shen's sword pull actually never does damage. If they're hit by the flying sword they're slowed IF they're moving away from Shen, and the enhanced autos are extra enhanced. They turned him from kind of a ninja into some sort of weird dude dragging a sword around like a dog leashed to a heavy object.

Yeah, I was confused by that post too. So what you're saying is that they gave him a hilariously situational and weaker version of Trynd's slow, and its counterintuitive with his taunt?

No wonder I wasn't able to figure out what the hell that thing is about.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

like i cant imagine someone at riot played new shen and was like "yeah this is really fun and interesting!" its like some designer cranked it out in 5 minutes because SHEN = ANTI-FUN had been written on a whiteboard somewhere since 2010 and that guy hadn't actually done any work in 5 years and he heard they were gonna start doing peer reviews.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the whole shen thing is actually kinda infuriating because they literally said 'yeah, new shen sucks and isn't fun,' and when someone asked if they were going to fix it they were like 'no, we'll just take it as a lesson for the future'

meanwhile ryze is on his seventh rework

Radiantweasel
Aug 10, 2013

Endorph posted:

the whole shen thing is actually kinda infuriating because they literally said 'yeah, new shen sucks and isn't fun,' and when someone asked if they were going to fix it they were like 'no, we'll just take it as a lesson for the future'

Because the pro scene loving loves Ryze

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Radiantweasel posted:

Because the pro scene loving loves Ryze

Same reason Lee and Ahri get kid gloves.

Meanwhile other heroes get kneejerk nerfs because they did well in an unconventional strategy in one match of one tourney.

I'm surprised they didn't nerf Kennen after he showed up as a safe bot lane carry in the finals of one tourney.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Endorph posted:

when did they comment on new shen?

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i read the post about shen in question but i forget exactly where it was.

ryze probably need to not have point and click cc if hes also going to be a late game scaling mage. i dont think both of those things can co-exist in harmony.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a couple of months ago, when they were discussing the season so far

quote:

Shen’s our most recent update and so far seems to be both fairly balanced and has improved game health compared to his previous kit. Overall, however, we don’t think he’s completely hit the mark thematically, with the floating sword feeling a bit disconnected from his fantasy. It’s not something we have plans to change - there are other champions that would benefit significantly more from having update time spent on them - but a lesson for when we take on future projects.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'improved game health' means 'nobody picks him anymore'

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
my beautiful disconnected end game fantasy

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
countdown until Malzahar needs to walk to a vorpal blade before he can use his ult, also zyra needs to throw seeds at a tree that looks suspiciously like a retextured sword to make them sprout

Huh, I guess that delay on ult activation really was Swain's winrate issue.

Also lol at Taliyah. Her entire kit feels like a worse version of Ziggs, that they tacked on after getting the idea for a hero that travels on a wall

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
why Karthus?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
a loving 51% play rate hahaha

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I want to hear the designer's justification for making her poke do less damage when utilizing its gimmick.

"what if the hero....zoned herself???"

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Tired Moritz posted:

why Karthus?

when played correctly he is super safe and he doesn't need to roam to be effective

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

if you don't ban lucian you're part of the problem

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I want to hear the designer's justification for making her poke do less damage when utilizing its gimmick.

a champion being good at what they do is anti-fun

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

she zoned herself right out of play because I haven't seen her since release day.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sperglord Firecock posted:

when played correctly he is super safe and he doesn't need to roam to be effective

Yeah, and he has Singed's laning gimmick where melee enemies chasing him away take damage without him needing to turn around and hit them. And after they stop chasing he can drop his wall and put out even more harass.

At least, that's been my experience on TT in the past. Half the fun is seeing your team have a heart attack at the idea of Weakmage vs. Top Bruisers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the designer for taliyah keeps making tweets like

https://twitter.com/danielzklein/status/733832971518513154

https://twitter.com/danielzklein/status/733069241008553984

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

has he ever been in one of those "watch riot employees get crushed by professional tweaked-out players!" pre-tourney games, because that would make this funnier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no but back when tank ekko was becoming a thing he made a ton of tweets about how 'pros aren't always right' and 'ap ekko is way stronger' which is basically the same thing

• Locked thread