Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

graynull posted:

I'm still weirdly looking forward to seeing how 1.0 pans out. Some of the dumber things I didn't like sound like they are going away, like single-biome planets and the weird tier system. I should probably get checked for a concussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Ahundredbux posted:

I think there are very few people in this thread who genuinely are boiling with anger towards starbound :rolleyes:

it's me

i'm the guy who's mad about starbound

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

grimcreaper posted:

Did you plan the whole thing out? Show your parents a slides how of what your kink is like that guy who told his family about cockvore?

what the gently caress

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

drkeiscool posted:

what the gently caress

sorry u got doxxed

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
All of you should follow in my footsteps, for I have never given any money to a kickstarter, and my life is better for it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

i still hold out a faint hope that some day.... some how... some way...

star bound....

will... eventually....

become.................

ok

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

drkeiscool posted:

what the gently caress

I think this is what grimcreaper's talking about, even though it's anal vore and not cockvore as he claimed

Anyway, uh, Starbound. Starbound taught me that it is entirely possible to have played a game for hours and hours and still not like it. Those few hours of play time every update, checking to see if the game is good yet, really add up. The next time I see a negative review with 100+ hours played, I'll try to remember this

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

hemophilia posted:

when that's all this thread ever is, it's hard to split people holding a serious but laughable grudge against a video game and just typical making GBS threads on it and the weird developer

Yikes

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

:prepop:
holy poo poo

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

hemophilia posted:

I just really love the concept, and the story is a cool mystery thing. Managing a ship, exploring with a crew. The combat is super atrocious. I guess I spoke too freely, it's not a good game, but I liked it, and I could forgive the weak systems for the things that were excellent about it.

it's basically what the space parts of Starbound should be. It feels like someone just forked from what they were doing for Starbound. I don't know if that's the case, but the ships, ship upgrades, space combat, and story all feels cohesive, and then planetside felt unfinished, like that was actually supposed to be starbound.

I agree with you and at least Interstellaria is a finished game as well, unlike Starbound. It just wasn't my cup of tea and that's fine.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cicadas! posted:

:prepop:
holy poo poo

I'm the fun activities

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Did you plan the whole thing out? Show your parents a slides how of what your kink is like that guy who told his family about cockvore?

Grimcreap'd again

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Is Starbound's version 1.0 going to be like Minecraft's 1.0 where all it did was raise the price and nothing else?

EDIT: gently caress, I already made that joke.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

it fits with the rest of the thread

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

In actual game news I've been keeping my eye on the nightlies and they sure picked a weird time to actual start making weapons unique and fun-looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkBlIMgnhWM

Like take a look at this. Some of the swords animate! They have unique effects other than "this one does extra lightning damage, this one can shoot a wave"! This dude's other recent videos show off some cool stuff like a crossbow with multiple ammo types you can switch on the fly, guns that shoot a bunch of tentacles out, etc.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Those changes to the planet scanner UI actually make sense and are good, are you sure he didn't accidentally mod his game :v:

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Actually the entirety of the development of the game was just a masterful trolling of the community and the games been done for a year now.

Lol no.
They finally locked tiy in the closet and mutinyed

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I tried to play Starbound again and it felt lame as gently caress taking 8 slow hits from the beginner sword to kill a dude. Maybe someone will make a mod to make the combat fun?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Don't even bother revisiting before 1.0, though I'm not expecting much

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Starbound procedurally generates the wrong kind of Ram

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

I think this is what grimcreaper's talking about, even though it's anal vore and not cockvore as he claimed

Anyway, uh, Starbound. Starbound taught me that it is entirely possible to have played a game for hours and hours and still not like it. Those few hours of play time every update, checking to see if the game is good yet, really add up. The next time I see a negative review with 100+ hours played, I'll try to remember this

Yeah! That it! Cockvore or analvore. Same difference. Sad day for that guys parents. Thanks for finding it.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Meanwhile back in the Actually Good Game Terraria that Starbound was supposed to be a million times better than,

Re-logic posted:

Added Logic Gates (AND, NAND, OR, NOR, XOR, NXOR
Added Logic Gate Lamps (On, Off, Faulty)
Added Logic Sensors (Day, Night, Under Player)
Added Liquid Sensors (Water, Lava, Honey, Any)
Added Conveyor Belts.
Added The Grand Design.
Added Yellow Wrench.
Added Junction Box.
Added Mechanical Lens.
Added Announcement Box.
Added Actuation Rod.
Added Team Blocks and Platforms.
Added Static Hook.
Added Presserator.
Added Engineering Helmet.
Added Companion Cube.
Added Gem Locks.
Added Large Amber.
Added Weighted Pressure Plates (4 colors).
Added Wire Bulb.
Added 12 new craftable Critter Statues.
Added Portal Gun Station.
Added Trapped Chests.
Added Projectile Pressure Pad.
Added several new monster statues.
Added Angler Tackle Bag.
Added Geyser Trap.
Added Bone Campfire.
Added Ultra Bright Campfire.
Added Multicolor Wrench.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-1-mechanics-and-controller-support.43643/

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I dunno, unless you really love logic gates this Terraria update was pretty drat uninteresting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I dunno, unless you really love logic gates this Terraria update was pretty drat uninteresting.

Terraria spent like four years being a good game though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

If you like custom maps just wait a week for people to start rolling out releases.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RareAcumen posted:

Terraria spent like four years being a good game though.
I wouldn't disagree, but that's a different point.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

If you like custom maps just wait a week for people to start rolling out releases.
Yeah this update was more about giving people tools for making adventure maps.

I did take the opportunity to start up again and I beat the final boss this time, then he dropped a dolphin so I used that to beat him on expert mode and get a fancy eyeball that lights up my surroundings. :toot:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Meanwhile back in the Actually Good Game Terraria that Starbound was supposed to be a million times better than,

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-1-mechanics-and-controller-support.43643/

that's a lovely update and you're lovely for posting it

anyways lets get back to talking about starbound

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
after all the years of free updates its lovely to cherry pick an update that wasn't even meant to be big anyway

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

nerdz posted:

after all the years of free updates its lovely to cherry pick an update that wasn't even meant to be big anyway
No one's cherry picking anything, someone posted another game's update going "this update's good! this is how it should be done!" but it's actually a pretty uninteresting update. It's not like we're going down the list of hotfixes on the Terraria Wiki to find one that's unimpressive, it's literally the one that just got brought up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's actually a really interesting update if you're into custom maps or building elaborate machines. What was once a gigantic area of carefully crafted bug abuse is now a stack of 3 (or more if you like polyadic logic) blocks.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Can you do stuff like spawn bosses for boss fights and lock areas off until they're dead? That's like the one thing stopping me from making a terraria adventure map, all the shenanigans you have to go through to try to control the player's experience in a really hard to control sandbox.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can more easily automate blocking off exits but I think you still have to resort to asking them not to dig.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

No one's cherry picking anything, someone posted another game's update going "this update's good! this is how it should be done!" but it's actually a pretty uninteresting update. It's not like we're going down the list of hotfixes on the Terraria Wiki to find one that's unimpressive, it's literally the one that just got brought up.

A boring Terraria update is better than every Starbound update though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Foo Diddley posted:

Yeah, you think it's gonna be kinda like Terraria where it takes a bit of a time investment before you've mined enough iron, built some houses, or whatever and get to start doing cool stuff. But then you notice that you've spent 3 times as long on that stage as you would have in Terraria and start to realize that this is the entire game.

Terraria was really good at rewarding your grinding with cool new equipment/enemies/biomes. I guess Starbound technically does this but there's barely any difference between one stage of content and the next. The gameplay is also kind of slow and floaty and all around a bit of a drag, and it's gotten worse as the game has gotten "closer to release".

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 29, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

nightwisher posted:

Can you do stuff like spawn bosses for boss fights and lock areas off until they're dead? That's like the one thing stopping me from making a terraria adventure map, all the shenanigans you have to go through to try to control the player's experience in a really hard to control sandbox.

just let people play how they want, tiy

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
The newest update has NPCs calling guards when you go into their houses to take break their worthless pots.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jorge Bell posted:

The newest update has NPCs calling guards when you go into their houses to take break their worthless pots.

I thought this was a joke, but then I saw that nope, it's real. What the hell is this game any more?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Don't a lot of town layouts require you to go through houses if you're not using some sort of movement tech to go over them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Is Starbound's version 1.0 going to be like Minecraft's 1.0 where all it did was raise the price and nothing else?

Minecraft is good though.

• Locked thread