Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
all gaijin look the same to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That guy is a true inspiration though, that even big fat white dudes can be tokusatsu heroes. :japan:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

He does.

He wasn't in Shinkenger, that was another guy.

Huh, I always assumed it was the same guy. Nevermind then.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Light Gun Man posted:

That guy is a true inspiration though, that even big fat white dudes can be tokusatsu heroes. :japan:

I paid an exorbitant sum for a Ankydon battery and a Kyoryu Cyan ranger key, just because he's my favorite.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Jesus you guys weren't kidding about Shroud. She's the WORST and probably the worst judge of character ever. "Shotaro's a terrible boyfriend for Raito. This Isaka guy seems on the up and up though".

Just good god, lady. She justifies hurting everyone in order to save Raito but she hurts and manipulates him at every turn to get back at Ryubei. She talks a big talk about love, but its really just hatred. She doesn't seem to give much of a poo poo about her daughters either. Can't really blame Wakana and Saeko for turning out the way they did with these parents.

Those victims of the week aren't too much better. What terrible terrible parents. Otherwise, looks like Akiko and Ryu are being set up as a couple for the end of this. Not what I expected but sounds good.

Is this the part where I need to watch the Net movies and Forever?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't quite remember myself, but Kamen Rider wiki says that W Forever happens between episodes 44 and 45, so if you're there, watch it. The net movies go hand in hand with that too.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'll get on it then before getting to the home stretch of W.

Edit: I don't know what I expected from this but its more majestic than I could've imagined so far.

Poor Kirihiko.

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 23, 2016

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Urgh, I decided to try out Ghost having fallen off the rider train for a bit, and after 3 episodes I'm really not feeling it. Takeru is one of the lamest leads yet and every time he dramatically declares he believes in himself I just want Tsukasa to wander in and do one of his speeches from when Decade was good instead. Akari's constant talk of not believing something just puts me in mind of Akiko not having heard of stuff (although at least she might have started to do stuff rather than try to think of a rational explanation for being carried through the air by a giant ghost). Onari could be good but he's so one note at the moment. And god drat the wirework fight in episode 3 looked awful, Ghost kind of lightly bumped against the Ganma a few times and that was it, no impact to it at all.

Is this show going to find its feet or should I just abandon ship if I'm not into it by now?

Yurusen is good though, and I appreciate the villain for having worse teeth than Boukenblack (holy poo poo be careful googling Bouken Black Teeth because google will helpfully suggest that maybe you meant Broken Black Teeth). And I do like the suit.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 23, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ghost takes a while to get going. you havent even hit the worst of takeru making it incredibly clear that he does not believe in himself while still saying every episode that he does. he eventually becomes tolerable but akari and onari become amazing.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Necrom is the real hero of Ghost. Having a secondary protagonist be cooler or more interesting than the "default" guy is old hat, but never has it been more egregious than it is in Ghost, I think.

Takeru isn't as annoying once he fully embraces his nature as "Casper, but a superhero"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ActionZero posted:

Urgh, I decided to try out Ghost having fallen off the rider train for a bit, and after 3 episodes I'm really not feeling it. Takeru is one of the lamest leads yet and every time he dramatically declares he believes in himself I just want Tsukasa to wander in and do one of his speeches from when Decade was good instead. Akari's constant talk of not believing something just puts me in mind of Akiko not having heard of stuff (although at least she might have started to do stuff rather than try to think of a rational explanation for being carried through the air by a giant ghost). Onari could be good but he's so one note at the moment. And god drat the wirework fight in episode 3 looked awful, Ghost kind of lightly bumped against the Ganma a few times and that was it, no impact to it at all.

Is this show going to find its feet or should I just abandon ship if I'm not into it by now?

Yurusen is good though, and I appreciate the villain for having worse teeth than Boukenblack (holy poo poo be careful googling Bouken Black Teeth because google will helpfully suggest that maybe you meant Broken Black Teeth). And I do like the suit.

It gets much much better, but I agree that the first few episodes are pretty weak.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Ghost isn't as empty of appeal as it was starting up and has more of a plot than it did, but it's less fun than the other neo heseis sans Wizard and I doubt it will ever catch up to any of them.
Like even shows with weaker protagonists like OOO and Gaim have something Ghost does not. It just never stops feeling like it's missing something to me.

Watch Amazons instead, IMO.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Acne Rain posted:

Watch Amazons instead, IMO.
Amazons?
*quick trip to youtube*
Holy poo poo, how did I not know about this?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ghost has gotten to be pretty decent, but it is a wet fart compared to amazons

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is Amazons an actual sequel to Amazon, or is it like a reimagining or a spiritual successor or something?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

boom boom boom posted:

Is Amazons an actual sequel to Amazon, or is it like a reimagining or a spiritual successor or something?

Latter.
It's a new thing with similar hero suits and bike and some similar beats like being friends with a mole monster but other than that it's a new setting from episode one on.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, I did it, I finally watched episode 31 of Liveman (you know the one.) Gotta say, I knew the premise going in but even then it was a little weird. Like beyond normal sentai weird.

edit: Watching ep 32 now and a little train full of children is randomly in the background of one scene, waving at the camera. Guess they filmed in an amusement park! Also kid butts, that wouldn't fly on tv these days.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 23, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
If I have an issue with Ghost it's that I like Akari after she gets over her thing but it seems like she's constantly getting faked-out, in the sense that she works really hard (and spends a lot of screentime working hard) to do stuff that's ultimately futile against magic. She invented the Akari Cannon (with help!) and now everyone uses the Lantern. She almost invented a second one and that plot got hijacked by Newton and Himiko. And now she spends an entire episode trying to do science on the time plasma only for Takeru and Tutankhamen to fix everything, everywhere, magically in the last three minutes.

She also spends a lot of time talking about how she'll try to help as much as she can and all those sentiments are consistently going nowhere.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Caphi posted:

If I have an issue with Ghost it's that I like Akari after she gets over her thing but it seems like she's constantly getting faked-out, in the sense that she works really hard (and spends a lot of screentime working hard) to do stuff that's ultimately futile against magic. She invented the Akari Cannon (with help!) and now everyone uses the Lantern. She almost invented a second one and that plot got hijacked by Newton and Himiko. And now she spends an entire episode trying to do science on the time plasma only for Takeru and Tutankhamen to fix everything, everywhere, magically in the last three minutes.

She also spends a lot of time talking about how she'll try to help as much as she can and all those sentiments are consistently going nowhere.

I hope she gets to settle her grudge with Igor :ohdear:
I was super hyped when she slapped him that one time. I hope he ends up reduced to an Eyecon that she keeps trapped in a specimen jar or something.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Actually this was a thing for Kiriko too. They made a huge deal out of her getting a special gun and jet boots and she used them maybe three times over Drive's run. And I think one of those was a joke.

Like, I get it, it's a regressive show for six year old boys, the girls aren't going to do anything. Fine. But then why spend all this screentime and emphasis on the idea?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Akari is the heart of the show, not the technical support. Her best efforts have never been more than vaguely successful, but she never gives up.

Plus, it is nice how she can do her thing without being reduced to a love interest.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

Akari is the heart of the show, not the technical support. Her best efforts have never been more than vaguely successful, but she never gives up.

Plus, it is nice how she can do her thing without being reduced to a love interest.

Unlike Kanon, who's...just kind of there?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Kanon is useless, yes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm very curious in seeing where Amazons is going at this point, we're about 3-4 episodes from the end now and it doesn't really feel like it's heading twords some kind of endpoint yet (Hell, next time we're getting a 3rd Rider). Who knows, maybe they'll end up doing a second season (the fact that every episode begins with a letter of the english alphabet in sequence seems to give evidence of this, though them stopping at "K" would kind of make sense too).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 24, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Some Numbers posted:

Kanon is the joint heart for Specter and Necrom, which is appropriate because the two of them together seem to add up to approximately one Ghost anyway.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Larryb posted:

I'm very curious in seeing where Amazons is going at this point, we're about 3-4 episodes from the end now and it doesn't really feel like it's heading twords some kind of endpoint yet (Hell, next time we're getting a 3rd Rider). Who knows, maybe they'll end up doing a second season.

I was expecting more of side character squad to die by now, but good on them for keeping up the tension and not using death cheaply but maybe there will be more of that near the end.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Caphi posted:

Kanon is the joint heart for Specter and Necrom, which is appropriate because the two of them together seem to add up to approximately one Ghost anyway.

well yeah they're both alive now.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Takeru's going to be dead for the rest of the series, isn't he.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Some Numbers posted:

Takeru's going to be dead for the rest of the series, isn't he.

I bet in the last episode or two, the sage/magistrate is gonna be like "Lol sorry I punked you. Your body's been on ice in Ganma world this whole time".

Edit: The loose end that I still want resolved, given that every ghost we've seen so far is just an Eyecon- what the hell is Yurusen, and also what the hell is Captain Ghost?

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 24, 2016

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The days are counting down a lot more slowly than the first time around.
He barely seems concerned about being dead this time, either.

Ghost isn't that great of a series.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
takeru already made his peace with being dead and he's more worried about saving the world than himself.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I know that when they do the "normal size desk in an otherwise unadorned giant fancy office", I know you're supposed to think, oh wow, that person must be super important. But I always just think, OK, you clearly didn't want to spend a lot on set dressing and you needed it to be quick and easy to strike the set because some other show films there at night.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've started watching Masked Rider out of curiosity and it's complete garbage, but the mooks are cute.

There was also a scene where two of them had a food fight.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

I've started watching Masked Rider out of curiosity and it's complete garbage, but the mooks are cute.

There was also a scene where two of them had a food fight.

Masked Rider is, by far, the worst of all of the early 90s toku made by Saban.

Just, without question.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The second episode was like three unrelated episodes stuck together without any setup between them. They just introduced a monster and killed him in like the last 5 minutes of the episode.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SRF's generally positive about Masked Rider, but yeah, a lot of this stuff looks really slipshod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQYpuINSXyE

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I genuinely do not like RX, and he even brings up some flaws with RX's own stuff.

So yeah, you take a pretty flawed toku and make a low budget, low effort, and honestly unfairly hosed over series from it

It's not going to be great.

Also I lied, TMNT The Next Mutation is the single worst Toku thing Saban ever made.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Burkion posted:

Also I lied, TMNT The Next Mutation is the single worst Toku thing Saban ever made.

I'm glad my only encounter with that was watching In Space and thinking "there a girl Turtle :confused:"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Motto posted:

I'm glad my only encounter with that was watching In Space and thinking "there a girl Turtle :confused:"

The best worst thing about that is, that is the BEST episode of TMNT the Next Mutation you will ever, *EVER* find.

Whatever action team they had for the show proper did not know how to do stunts in suits and it loving shows.

The reason why it's the worst is because even there, at their best, THAT IS STILL flawed as Hell because all of the male Turtles sound exactly alike for some reason, while in TNM, they all have distinct voices.

So yeah, Turtles. Turtles why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Masked Rider is, by far, the worst of all of the early 90s toku made by Saban.

Just, without question.

Considering they only got like 4 actual suits from RX they could use in American footage and had to (badly) splice in footage from the ZO and J movies to fill time, not to mention the fact that they for some reason decided to turn it into a sitcom (The show advertised in the Power Rangers tie-in probably might have been better recieved) with even worse acting and footage use than Power Rangers (Kotaro Minami appears enough times that they might as well have given him an acting credit in the opening) that it's clear that nobody in charge seemed to know or care what they were doing. Not to mention that this was still a few years before Kuuga started so even if the show was a success there'd be nothing left to adapt unless they decided to go backwards and try adapting Black. Not really sure what Saban was thinking with that one.

Dragon Knight was a much better effort I will admit (in fact, I actually liked certain aspects of it better than Ryuki) but that still had problems of its own. A pity the studio who made it doesn't exist anymore as I wouldn't mind seeing them take another crack at the franchise. I'm not honestly sure if Kamen Rider could survive as a long running series over here considering the lack of exposure and the fact that both attempts were pretty much failures financially speaking (Whereas in Japan the show is pretty much a household name, more so than Power Rangers is over here in fact).

• Locked thread