Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but…

I assume you get your engineer upgrades back as part of the repurchase if you get blown up? Or do you have to go roll the dice again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Is it possible to discuss strategies intended to allow a single player to enjoy elite as a sandbox rather than an mmo given the following?

https://www.somethingawful.com/forum-rules/forum-rules/2/ posted:

o warez. No warez, no cracks, no CD codes, no illegal programs that are used to either crack software or perform any malicious activity. Don't post links, ask for links to download, or otherwise discuss illegal copies of copyrighted works, including movies, books, software, etc. 45-second "sampler" mp3 files are acceptable, within context. ROMs are only allowed if they are out-of-print and unavailable for purchase.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

DreadLlama posted:

Is it possible to discuss strategies intended to allow a single player to enjoy elite as a sandbox rather than an mmo given the following?

Play on Solo.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Contrary to certain opinions, playing Elite in single player isn't actually a malicious activity.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

DreadLlama posted:

Do the "strategies" involve stealing the game or what have you?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

tooterfish posted:

Contrary to certain opinions, playing Elite in single player isn't actually a malicious activity.

b-b-buh i can't kill them and ruin their day! :qq:

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Inverness posted:

At this point it actually looks like Star Citizen is making more progress than Elite is. This is a depressing thing to say.

While :frontear: being their usual selves is aggravating, Elite is still an actual product that one can actually play compared to how Star Citizen's current overly hyped update is adding basic clothes in what is still a janky tech demo.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Inverness posted:

At this point it actually looks like Star Citizen is making more progress than Elite is. This is a depressing thing to say.

lol

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Inverness posted:

Frontier gets flak because they have an actual product to be critical of. They've added more content to their game in 3 months than CIG have added to whatever the gently caress that abomination of theirs is in 3 loving years.

We bitch because we care. We care because it's fundamentally a good game.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Shine posted:

Do the "strategies" involve stealing the game or what have you?

That's the sticky part. In my case personally, the game is bought and paid for in my steam library. But what I'm thinking of is also exactly what you'd want to do if you'd pirated the game.

IAmTheRad posted:

Play on Solo.

I think you misunderstand my intention. Playing in solo mode still connects to the Frontier servers. Content is gated behind mmo-esque grind. I'm talking about building my own themepark, with blackjack and hookers. Like a WoW private server, but for elite.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 22, 2016

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

You would need to develop your own clone of the servers to run locally.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

That's the sticky part. In my case personally, the game is bought and paid for in my steam library. But what I'm thinking of is also exactly what you'd want to do if you'd pirated the game.

I think you misunderstand my intention. Playing in solo mode still connects to the Frontier servers. Content is gated behind mmo-esque grind. I'm talking about building my own themepark, with blackjack and hookers. Like a WoW private server, but for elite.

lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Allow me to save you some hassle, just install a copy of Elite Frontier: First Encounters.

Also the idea you can trivially make a client into a standalone :psyduck:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Boy howdy those of you who like to fight in big ships better learn to love turrets or you're going to be stuck in turning fights with Viper 3's for a pissy 20k Cr payout :thumbsup:

PS: turrets still suck

wait, i just read the other day that they finally buffed turrets (or are planning to, at least). Is that not true?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Allow me to save you some hassle, just install a copy of Elite Frontier: First Encounters.

Also the idea you can trivially make a client into a standalone :psyduck:

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but thank you. The graphics aren't much worse than Freelancer.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I hope the success of E:D inspires other space games from my childhood to be remade.

Like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIDptAvzOrk

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

I hope the success of E:D inspires other space games from my childhood to be remade.

Like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIDptAvzOrk

Holy poo poo that game is not something for a 6 year old to figure out. I remember it being indecipherable and still fun for the 5 minutes before everything starts shooting at you.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Plek posted:

Holy poo poo that game is not something for a 6 year old to figure out. I remember it being indecipherable and still fun for the 5 minutes before everything starts shooting at you.

Basically, yes. I'm not sure I ever really "got" it, but I definitely remember the sounds.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Colonial Air Force posted:

Basically, yes. I'm not sure I ever really "got" it, but I definitely remember the sounds.

The Star Voyager hyperdrive sound is still what my brain equates to hyperdrive.

ED's hyperspace transitions have nothing on the screams of hell and sirens blaring as you try to ensure you end up anywhere near your target destination.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DreadLlama posted:

If you have a private server/offline mode, you can discuss it all you want. You still need game files, which aren't legally obtainable without a game copy. If someone uses your method after they steal the game, that's on them, not you. Good luck in your endeavours. I too, would love a version where I don't need to grind pointless poo poo just because I want to fly a big ship once or twice a month.

FYI, there's plenty of private wow server threads floating around these forums.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Xae posted:

I'm dreading having to make long term decision making with regards to ships.

I guess I'll have to settle on a Python until they release more ships.
Some of those decisions at least will be no-brainers and desirable on most/all ships (engine mods, increased FSD range). There will still be tough decisions to be made on multirole ships like the Python (do I put in a bunch of combat-focused internal mods and lock myself out of hauling cargo?), but anything where you're unlikely to be messing with the build much once it's "done" (eg Vulture, FAS, FdL) should be fairly straightforward.

Doesn't mean the grind isn't going to suck, of course.

Tippis posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but…

I assume you get your engineer upgrades back as part of the repurchase if you get blown up? Or do you have to go roll the dice again?
Yes, you get them back.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

We bitch because we care. We care because it's fundamentally a good game.

Someone put this on a gold plaque and send it to Frontier .

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

Can I drag my yellow 19LY hot rod to Beagle Point?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

Can I drag my yellow 19LY hot rod to Beagle Point?

Say what you will about Frontier, but this game is really good-looking.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DreadLlama posted:

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but thank you. The graphics aren't much worse than Freelancer.

It's a great game that I think has stood the test of time. Not as flash as ED of course but a ton to do.

Also due to the newtonian flight it's entirely possible to get caught in gravity wells you can't escape from if you misjudge a fuel scoop :v:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Helter Skelter posted:

Some of those decisions at least will be no-brainers and desirable on most/all ships (engine mods, increased FSD range). There will still be tough decisions to be made on multirole ships like the Python (do I put in a bunch of combat-focused internal mods and lock myself out of hauling cargo?), but anything where you're unlikely to be messing with the build much once it's "done" (eg Vulture, FAS, FdL) should be fairly straightforward.

Doesn't mean the grind isn't going to suck, of course.
Yeah, I'm thinking that modding up the jump range will be the first priority. If I can keep it over 20 that would be nice.

I figure I'll start with this:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/07A6A5A4D7A6D5C1e1e1e--0i0n0203B1---37----.Iw18eQ==.Aw18eQ==

And customize as needed.

I always ended up doing a bunch of different roles so I'll have to hold off modifying anything that could need to be removed until Module Storage is in.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In anticipation for a hellish engineer material grind I'm sitting in a python with a hundred tons of collector limpets.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Inverness posted:

:laffo:

Oh wait, you're right. You can play dress-up Barbie now with your white_male_PC, how can any other spacegame possibly compete. :ohdear:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Extremely sweet screenshots of lava planet: http://www.imgur.com/gallery/B6NUS

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah, but as you will figure 'can I keep my fixed guns (they do have a tiny bit of tracking on them btw) on target enough to make up for gimbals that will hit easier but for a certain % less damage'. I'm sure someone has sperged the math to three decimal places somewhere :o:

Also, a question; did I miss it, or is there not a way to attach a key/button to cycle through turret modes, only via the right hand options panel?

Lots of people will eagerly whip their dicks out and say they deal more effective damage with fixed because of their ~elite pvp~ aiming skills, but I've not once seen it be true in practice. Gimbals' weakness is chaff and silent running, and their strength is higher effective damage against lockable targets and the ability to burst targeted modules with consistent hits. It just depends on who/what you expect to go up against.

Rah! posted:

wait, i just read the other day that they finally buffed turrets (or are planning to, at least). Is that not true?

Pretty sure I read that too

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

They are being buffed in 2.1, but buffed does not mean good.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

Yeah this.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I just got back into this after a while off, playing with the Rift CV1 I don't need to gently caress with HUD colors anymore. Yay I guess?

What's the best way to make money now?
Been doing high intensity RES stuff in a pulse laser/multicannon DBS so far, netting 200-800k an hour. I don't have the time to put into powerplay atm.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wibla posted:

I just got back into this after a while off, playing with the Rift CV1 I don't need to gently caress with HUD colors anymore. Yay I guess?

What's the best way to make money now?
Been doing high intensity RES stuff in a pulse laser/multicannon DBS so far, netting 200-800k an hour. I don't have the time to put into powerplay atm.

For the next 48ish hours you can slave scum in Robigo. After that we don't know because stuff kept changing in the beta and theres no telling what will hit the live server.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Also RES's got smacked with the nerf bat in the sense that it takes longer to kill things so RIP CR/hr

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

hobbesmaster posted:

For the next 48ish hours you can slave scum in Robigo. After that we don't know because stuff kept changing in the beta and theres no telling what will hit the live server.

Is engineers live in 48hr?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Is engineers live in 48hr?

It goes up Thursday, so, pretty much.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
And it annoys me quite a bit, since I've just started to the other side of the galaxy. But all that engineer poo poo like light-weight weapons, shields and tuned thrusters, FSDs and other crap is too good to pass, so I'm making my way back again.

gently caress. :suicide:

Welp, good I got sidetracked and played mostly other games over the last month or I would have a serious problem now. :v:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Also RES's got smacked with the nerf bat in the sense that it takes longer to kill things so RIP CR/hr

Killing the ability to make a good amount of CR/hr sucks a lot, but I am kind of excited about tougher AI. It might feel like a real fight more often, instead of shootings fish snakes in a barrel. Then again, this is :frontear: so I'm expecting a new bug once it goes live that allows a single harmless sidewinder to easily take out players in corvettes :v:

Helter Skelter posted:

So how have they been hosed up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Tougher AI is fine, but if ships take X times longer to kill and they don't increase the rewards X-fold, then they're effectively increasing the grind, which is stupid.

• Locked thread