Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cicadalek posted:

It's not like it's hard to build lots of NPC houses. Walls, roof, table and chair, then use smart cursor to fill in the back wall in seconds. Add a torch and you're done.

Apparently they also fixed this exploit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't know if that's better or worse than the NPC prisons. :catstare:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Cat Mattress posted:

Why on earth would you even build that way? That's like guaranteeing the maximal amount of inconveniently-timed NPC death.

So I checked out the patch notes, and while a lot of the new items sound cool, I got no idea what most of them would do/how I could use them cleverly. Yeah conveyor belts look sweet, but what else is there?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Medusa is now Hardmode-only.

Rip expert mages.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

dis astranagant posted:

Rip expert mages.

Getting lucky with water bolt should still be enough until hell for demon scythe shouldn't it?

I kinda want to make a new character for the update but I'm debating what to do. I did mage back on 1.2 and I did a bow only ranged character when I played last time.

Yo-yo Lord maybe? Swords only?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
What Inventory Editor/Map editor is everyone using these days?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

dis astranagant posted:

Rip expert mages.

Medusa being able to one-shot your character from off screen early game (or even being in the game at all because she's annoying as poo poo) has been one of the biggest gripes of this thread, but I guess there's a reason to complain about everything

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Acne Rain posted:

Medusa being able to one-shot your character from off screen early game (or even being in the game at all because she's annoying as poo poo) has been one of the biggest gripes of this thread, but I guess there's a reason to complain about everything

They nerfed medusa ages ago. She has to have direct on screen line of sight to petrify.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

It seems like you can't rename chests (or presumably add text to signs) with the keyboard if you have a controller connected. Adding labels to things now takes closer to 30 seconds instead of 5 seconds. :mad:

Is it the autopause bug?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

JohnnyCanuck posted:

What Inventory Editor/Map editor is everyone using these days?
I use Terraria InvEdit for the former and it works flawlessly.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

symbolic posted:

I use Terraria InvEdit for the former and it works flawlessly.

I'm also a big fan of TerraSavr, which is web-based. It's already been updated for 1.3.1.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I downloaded the latest version of TEdit for world editing and it's not showing me sprite view, the selection panel isn't showing up, and it's acting weird in general :(

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They've updated a lot of sprites. I found this comparison sheet:

Most of the changes are really subtle, but there's one that's blatant even without looking at a before/after comparison: statues are much lighter in color now; presumably to make them more paintable.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
My pre-hardmode character has a Medusa Head in their inventory from before the patch... this isn't even slightly fair

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Cat Mattress posted:

They've updated a lot of sprites. I found this comparison sheet:

Most of the changes are really subtle, but there's one that's blatant even without looking at a before/after comparison: statues are much lighter in color now; presumably to make them more paintable.

The inventory sprite for background walls are much larger and more distinct now, thankfully.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Getting back into this, and oh my god the grind :gonk:

I'm gradually experimenting with nice digs, but realized too late how slippery frozen ice blocks are and now I hate my wobbly castle!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Find a nice light-colored block and paint them blue?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Tias posted:

I'm gradually experimenting with nice digs, but realized too late how slippery frozen ice blocks are and now I hate my wobbly castle!

That sounds a lot like "dynamite my home and rebuild."

:getin:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tias posted:

Ice Bricks don't slip.

Tias
May 25, 2008

NachtSieger posted:

That sounds a lot like "dynamite my home and rebuild."

:getin:

Yeah, that's kinda the way I'm leaning too :D

Blind Sally posted:

Ice Bricks don't slip.

yet they lack the slimy theme I yearn for!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Tias posted:

yet they lack the slimy theme I yearn for!

Slime blocks are a thing, but getting a solidifier is pretty far into the game without inventory editing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I managed to get one pretty early on. Chanced upon one of those Fossil/Silt/Slush converters and was quickly able to amass the amount of gold/platinum I needed to make a crown because my world spawned me in an ice biome. Combine a crown with 99 gel and you can summon the Slime King. Got my rear end kicked because it was super early, but he doesn't despawn when you die, so I was able to kill him and get a solidifier.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Tias posted:

Oh lord yes, it's soo hard to get used to the controls of a new character after having played a 500 HP sun-armored winged melee monster knight for so long. All these torches and platforms and ropes I gotta drop everywhere.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Bluhman posted:

Oh lord yes, it's soo hard to get used to the controls of a new character after having played a 500 HP sun-armored winged melee monster knight for so long. All these torches and platforms and ropes I gotta drop everywhere.

I feel your pain.

At least you know how to sequence break though! Get a lot of rope and find the floating islands early, or hit the desert ASAP and hope you get a sandstorm in a jar... that sort of thing.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Solumin posted:

I feel your pain.

At least you know how to sequence break though! Get a lot of rope and find the floating islands early, or hit the desert ASAP and hope you get a sandstorm in a jar... that sort of thing.

I think the worst part is the compulsion to want to grind out the cellphone again. I can't come back because then I'll suicide from fishing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Thor-Stryker posted:

I think the worst part is the compulsion to want to grind out the cellphone again. I can't come back because then I'll suicide from fishing.

Some things are worth cheating for. You've done it once, why do it again?

The other solution is wait another few months before restarting the game, so it feels truly fresh and you don't mind the grind :yayclod:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I started a new world, putting together a much nicer home for my NPCs. I've managed to quickly get back to where I had gotten to previously.

So, I'm about to take on the Wall of Flesh for the very first time. Wish me luck thread.

E: welp

The Zombie Guy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 23, 2016

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Protip there is a button on your keyboard that says Print Screen!

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

GenericOverusedName posted:

Protip there is a button on your keyboard that says Print Screen!

I'm playing on console

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I think I'm actually sorta pulling the theme off for once! I don't really have windows, but hey. The plan is a small Japanese village with a castle and shrine.

Now I just need the travelling merchant to show up again this time actually carrying the dynasty roofing. And hopefully a katana. I decided to go swords since it seems more challenging to fight EoC and WoF with them.

EDIT:

There we go.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 24, 2016

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'm working on the early game of an Expert mode play, and having a real tough time with the queen bee. I think my best best is actually to grind out a bezoar because that'll negate a ton of the damage I'm trying to deal with.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'm working on the early game of an Expert mode play, and having a real tough time with the queen bee. I think my best best is actually to grind out a bezoar because that'll negate a ton of the damage I'm trying to deal with.

I'm assuming this is not hardmode and you're not using any hardmode gear. It's easier to fight her in an arena on the surface. The only mildly difficult ingredient to obtain for the summoning item is the crisp honey blocks - just go deeper into the jungle. A bezoar would certainly help but once you have an arena on the surface, you should be able to dodge most of her attacks. Also the cthulu shield is excellent for this fight - when she charges into you horizontally, ram her with the shield (you don't take any damage due to iframes from the animation and do some respectable damage to her as well).

Meteorite armour and a space gun make this fight much less hectic.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Jinx posted:

I'm assuming this is not hardmode and you're not using any hardmode gear. It's easier to fight her in an arena on the surface. The only mildly difficult ingredient to obtain for the summoning item is the crisp honey blocks - just go deeper into the jungle. A bezoar would certainly help but once you have an arena on the surface, you should be able to dodge most of her attacks. Also the cthulu shield is excellent for this fight - when she charges into you horizontally, ram her with the shield (you don't take any damage due to iframes from the animation and do some respectable damage to her as well).

Yeah I've got the meteor setup, and I dug out a pretty big space to fight in, but despite having like 30 armor and 400 life I still died. I'll remember to actually use the shield dash. Also this time I'm gonna have more kinds of potions and some campfires.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jinx posted:

You don't need crispy honey blocks any more. Just regular ones, which should spawn naturally around the hive.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

dis astranagant posted:

You don't need crispy honey blocks any more. Just regular ones, which should spawn naturally around the hive.

And/or you can make by combining honey and water, so just redirect a pond into a beehive in the jungle.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I took a break to start building something more focused than soviet tenements.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'm one fishing reward away from three of them. Or four. I don't remember anymore. Someone help me.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Tias posted:

Raid the underground tundra and find a pair of ice skates to make sparkfrost boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

Slime blocks are a thing, but getting a solidifier is pretty far into the game without inventory editing.

I have a solidifier, otherwise I would not have been able to make the frozen slime blocks :p

Bluemillion posted:

Raid the underground tundra and find a pair of ice skates to make sparkfrost boots.

I have skates, what else do I need?