Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I wouldn't have thought frost would even do anything to bosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

argondamn posted:

It's not really surprising that they re-used the DkS1 engine. It's actually surprising that they even wrote a new engine for DkS2.

Nah it's been various versions of the PhyreEngine since Demon's.
Netcode however is probably all on Fromsoft.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Dark Souls is serious business.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

I wouldn't have thought frost would even do anything to bosses

I dunno, it seemed to do more damage than cmw the first time. Maybe it's just high magic resists?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Stokes posted:

Dark Souls is serious business.

git gud or die trying as they say....

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fire Barrel posted:

I dunno, it seemed to do more damage than cmw the first time. Maybe it's just high magic resists?

Frost is a status effect, rather than an actual damage type. It does a bit of damage and a short lived stamina nerf when it triggers.

For example, I didn't notice the Old Demon king staggering any more frequently with my Iryhtyl sword than my more normal weapons when I was trying it out (Seems I suck at nailing viscerals on bosses except for the Nameless King "Old demon is down! R1... uh.. R1! okay fine normal attacks.")

That said, any weapon working out well for you is a good weapon. Keep using it if you're already kicking rear end with it.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Frost can affect enemies and bosses, I know if you use Vordt's Hammer on the giants in the cathedral they will slow down in their attacks after being hit 4-5 times, and I remember the Abyss Walkers slowed down as well after a few hits. All of the other bosses all seem to have a high resistance to it however.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Section Z posted:

Frost is a status effect, rather than an actual damage type. It does a bit of damage and a short lived stamina nerf when it triggers.

For example, I didn't notice the Old Demon king staggering any more frequently with my Iryhtyl sword than my more normal weapons when I was trying it out (Seems I suck at nailing viscerals on bosses except for the Nameless King "Old demon is down! R1... uh.. R1! okay fine normal attacks.")

That said, any weapon working out well for you is a good weapon. Keep using it if you're already kicking rear end with it.

Could just be the thrust that did more damage then. And I usually cycle weapons in PvE, though I stick to ones I'm familiar with in PvP. Unless their great weapons.

I knew frost did stamina damage. Maybe I'll try playing with the Irithyll rapier as in PvP a bit more. Especially since I've been running across a lot of great shield users in recent invasions.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I know several bosses just get murked by bleed though. Dancer pretty much exploded in a shower of blood. It's like I was playing Bloodborne all over again.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I had bleed also proc during a visceral attack against the twin princes.

It was like watching Tarantino doing his take on the fantasy genre.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Did they change the Aldrich dogs so if you kill one but not the other the one you killed doesn't respawn?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Fire Barrel posted:

Could just be the thrust that did more damage then. And I usually cycle weapons in PvE, though I stick to ones I'm familiar with in PvP. Unless their great weapons.

I knew frost did stamina damage. Maybe I'll try playing with the Irithyll rapier as in PvP a bit more. Especially since I've been running across a lot of great shield users in recent invasions.

Irithyll rapier fucks up most bosses pretty good. Coupled with the range, speed and low stamina per hit it's great. Was getting similar damage per hit on the Pontiff as i was with a refined darksword at 50/50 str/dex.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

poptart_fairy posted:

Kotaku writer spotted.

i dont even care this was like 8 pages ago i'll kill you

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

The zweihander is loving amazing in this.

I've actually found the zweihander and ultra greatswords in general to be fairly crap in DS3, and this is speaking as someone who went through most of DS1 with one. I dunno if it's enemies having faster recovery from hitting a shield or smaller windows of opportunity between enemy attacks or the fact that there's no poise but each of my attempts to use one has ended in YOU DIED. I've even given up on using it on parry-spammers since they just spam sword attacks instead and I get stunlocked. Bit of a shame, since there's some sweet-looking UGSs.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bamco support staff real salty

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

actionjackson posted:

Did they change the Aldrich dogs so if you kill one but not the other the one you killed doesn't respawn?

I don't think any of the Aldrich beasts (not the curse-spitting two or the 3 alligatordogs) respawn.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Geez, if someone's gonna spend ten bucks on a redtext, they could at least make it a good one.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

MadJackMcJack posted:

I've actually found the zweihander and ultra greatswords in general to be fairly crap in DS3, and this is speaking as someone who went through most of DS1 with one. I dunno if it's enemies having faster recovery from hitting a shield or smaller windows of opportunity between enemy attacks or the fact that there's no poise but each of my attempts to use one has ended in YOU DIED. I've even given up on using it on parry-spammers since they just spam sword attacks instead and I get stunlocked. Bit of a shame, since there's some sweet-looking UGSs.

Just spam the special art then, since that's what people using them usually do to me if they see my buckler in hand. Also, some of them have crazy tracking that can punish people the try rolling past you. Not a fan of them in any of the souls games though, so I don't use them too often.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

Geez, if someone's gonna spend ten bucks on a redtext, they could at least make it a good one.

I know, right?

I guess it's as good a time as any to purchase a new av, gonna be hard to find one I like better than the chaos eater though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

MadJackMcJack posted:

I usually loathe going against an UGS user, not because they are broken in a "R1 lol" or "literal glitch" way, but because you have really little margin for error. Two hits of a Fume UGS will murder you if you don't have full life, and there are combos that will land those two hits on you no questions asked. Also, hyperarmor on a lot of moves you really don't want them to be on (as the opponent who against most enemies depends on your sick L2 stunlocking them). Though admittedly I tend to use semi-slow weapons in general which tend to be kinda awful no matter what :v:. I'm sure that you're plain hosed against someone who knows what they're doing with a straightsword if you have the UGS...against an R1 spammer, though? You might be surprised.

jeaves
Jun 2, 2004

*FART*FART*FART*

Melanion posted:

You're finished in the Cathedral (Assuming you've explored everywhere and gobbled up all the loot), you need to backtrack a bit. Try exploring other directions from the Crucifixion Woods bonfire.

Thanks!

Took down the Watchers on my second try thanks to jolly cooperation.
Big ups to PS4 screen name "Ball Buster"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

hard counter posted:

I had bleed also proc during a visceral attack against the twin princes.

It was like watching Tarantino doing his take on the fantasy genre.

Twin princes is another case of my complete inability to visceral for some reason. "He's down!... Pretty please visceral? Welp"

What should be obvious trick to it am I missing for further play throughs I can't even visceral the giant crabs when they fall down :saddowns:

I'm pretty sure Nameless King is the only boss I've done Viscerals for (Repeatedly, at that). I can backstab Abyss Watchers just fine though.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Yardbomb posted:

It's also kind of stupid seeing as how you might wanna play with more than the small couple weapons you slab in a playthrough, when I keep hearing that once you +10 something the matchmaker weights you more heavily than ever to just try and find other +10's.

There's not a huge difference generally between +9 and +10, and once you've unlocked chunks/twinkling/scales at the handmaiden you can farm the winged knights at the top of the archives and have enough souls to get any weapon to +9 or +4 in about 10 minutes. You don't even need to be good at killing them, just equip all your soul increasing gear and use rapport. So don't stress about that, it just sucks we have only 8 slabs and that twinkling and scale weapons need the slab now too. What's Miyazaki got against +10 weapons? Why is he so stingy??

This game got hosed up so bad (still good), levels are way more expensive so people are lower levels but everything's also much weaker, requiring a much higher stat investment. It's like they decided 2 was too fun and they needed to reign that poo poo in. Split damage weapons got it the worst though, not only do they have two defenses to deal with, they also pretty much all have ludicrously low ARs, even at 60 int/faith. Being a caster sucks because you get some spells and at 60 they do decent damage, but unless you get to a super high level you pretty much can't any weapon you find and the ones you can use do poo poo damage. Would have been nice to have more pure dex/str weapons too instead of everything being quality. Also ultragreatswords doing comparable damage to greatswords but much more slowly and for waaay more stamina.

I mean in the end it's a good fun game, but the list of things 2 did better covers drat near everything. I mean From have never been good with balance but this is such a shitshow. And then there's the pvp...

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i think it's sorta unfair to compare near-release DS3 to 1 or 2. 1 was a loving trainwreck for a lot of it's life and 2 wasn't even good until all the DLCs and Scholar and such.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got Armour on sl1 down to 20% and then one of those air meatballs one shot me. What the gently caress that is just infuriating

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

argondamn posted:

It's not really surprising that they re-used the DkS1 engine. It's actually surprising that they even wrote a new engine for DkS2.

They did not write a new engine for DS2.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

MadJackMcJack posted:

I tried the greatsword first and I hate it and I think most of the UGS have that overhead r2 which sucks. The zwei's got that 1h poke on the r2 and it's so fast coming out and long enough you can get a Leo hit any time you want. All of its moves seem really fast to me, like UGS speed is what greatsword-class speed should be.

I'm pretty sure it out ranges a straight sword so you shouldn't be getting stunlocked.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Section Z posted:

Twin princes is another case of my complete inability to visceral for some reason. "He's down!... Pretty please visceral? Welp"

What should be obvious trick to it am I missing for further play throughs I can't even visceral the giant crabs when they fall down :saddowns:

I'm pretty sure Nameless King is the only boss I've done Viscerals for (Repeatedly, at that). I can backstab Abyss Watchers just fine though.

Eh sometimes you miss your opportunity because you mashed r1 during an opening that developed into a stun so your cued attacks come out and hit for a little extra but then break the boss' stun state. Totally understandable since you take what openings you can get from mobile dudes like the Princes.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
True they all got better with patches and dlc, but they were still better than this at those early stages. I had some issues with 2 at first because mechanically it was so different from 1, but once I got a feel for it, I was able to fully ditch my shield for the first time in a souls game and played through with so many different builds and such. I was still having a blast when the first dlc came out, and it wasn't until a few months before 3 came out that I finally got bored of it. I'm already bored of 3, so hopefully the dlc will inject some much needed life into the game but eh. I don't think it'll ever approach 2 in terms of fun. Here's hoping they use 2 as the base for the next game!

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
Favorite spots to invade? Central irithyll is so easy I almost feel bad

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
Consumed King's Garden

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I like the Catacombs because of the bridges and traps and rolling boulders. Also ran into another invader simultaneously invading another dude. He was called YouShallNotPass and gimmicked it up by going invisible on bridges then force blasting dudes off.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

no_funeral posted:

Favorite spots to invade? Central irithyll is so easy I almost feel bad

Dungeon

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
I'm assuming you can respec at Rosaria to a lower level, but what happens to the excess? Are the souls just lost or what? I leveled into the mid-40s to try a new weapon and now I'm getting no hits at all on Watchdogs.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Melanion posted:

I'm assuming you can respec at Rosaria to a lower level

You can't. Leveling up is permanent, you can just shuffle the points around.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Alabaster White posted:

You can't. Leveling up is permanent, you can just shuffle the points around.

Ah, hell. Here's hoping I've just been unlucky getting hits in the poison bit, then. Surely there are some 34+s with +1 or better weapons going through there.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jaaam posted:

True they all got better with patches and dlc, but they were still better than this at those early stages. I had some issues with 2 at first because mechanically it was so different from 1, but once I got a feel for it, I was able to fully ditch my shield for the first time in a souls game and played through with so many different builds and such.

While DS2 does do a lot right, I never got this claim.

You can fully ditch your shield right out the door in DS1 and DS3. It's perfectly functional immediately.

But in DS2, you have to stop and level up your agility, especially if you picked Warrior or Bandit with only 5 I frames. And just saying "Well just don't pick those classes then :rolleyes:" is just ignoring the problem even if you did stop to read a wiki before playing to know that. As well as 9 I frames being the best possible starting dodge.

Bad starting shields may have made a lot more people turn to dodging in DS2. But dodging is still incredibly practical in the other games, without an entry fee for your dodge frames.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
The dragon's tooth has like a handle on it now and doesn't look like a tooth.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Souls actually look pretty bright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Dodging is easier in DS3 than in 2 because they got rid of that dumb agility nonsense and sharply reduced the stamina cost. But it's kind of balanced by the fact that enemies do a loving lot of damage in this game and violently punish rolling away. And the very first boss has different attacks with wildly different timings on them. No-shield life is tough if you aren't familiar with the enemy attack timings.