Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
It's pretty thick of Simmons to think/act that it's just his sick loving content bro that has lead people to "find" his new podcast. He's had financial backing and exposure from ESPN for about 15 years and is now backed by HBO, and he has tons of media business coverage about his every move. People "found" his podcast because of his existing celebrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

trem_two posted:

It's pretty thick of Simmons to think/act that it's just his sick loving content bro that has lead people to "find" his new podcast. He's had financial backing and exposure from ESPN for about 15 years and is now backed by HBO, and he has tons of media business coverage about his every move. People "found" his podcast because of his existing celebrity.
Well when you get to that level of success a lot of people tend to think that anything you do will be met with praise, no matter if you do it yourself or through a network like ESPN

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Bill Simmons is pretty thick if he thinks there is a Bill Simmons without ESPN and Page 2. I know their split was acrimonious but he can't be that delusional, can he?

midwat
May 6, 2007

Oh no, Bill Simmons is happy his ventures are doing well

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I'm happy for him but why the hell is every single show getting its own podcast. You do not need 11 feeds when each one will put out one podcast a week

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mistermojo posted:

I'm happy for him but why the hell is every single show getting its own podcast. You do not need 11 feeds when each one will put out one podcast a week

so he can say he has like 10 shows among the top 50 in iTunes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

mistermojo posted:

Because I'd rather only listen to Keeping It 1600 and not Jam Session

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Are any of those actually good

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Keepin' it 1600 is good, the sports ones are occasionally good, and the Simmons podcast can be good if it's an interesting guest and not just him talking to his incredibly boring friends.

Gay But Crush Puss
May 19, 2016

by zen death robot
Do people not remember that Simmons was brought to ESPN because he had a pretty significant following and kinda succeeded at Page2 in spite of ESPN.coms focus?

If anything the fucker should be thanking the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins for timely winning a gazillion titles, more than anything that ramped the poo poo out of his numbers and legitimized his regional "everyfan" approach.

Gay But Crush Puss fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 23, 2016

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Gay But Crush Puss posted:

Do people not remember that Simmons was brought to ESPN because he had a pretty significant following and kinda succeeded at Page2 in spite of ESPN.coms focus?

This is an extremely generous reading

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mistermojo posted:

They have the Ringer feed if you want them all in one place. They also split them apart.

I'd rather they split them up because it's a pain in the rear end scrolling through podcasts about The Bachelor and golf when I want to find Keepin it 1600.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I think it's fairly safe to say that Simmons built his brand both because of being on Page2 and despite being on Page2, because Page2 was kind of a clusterfuck from the get-go. As much as there was a ton of great talent, there never seemed to be a clear idea of what to do with it.

Dude's been building his brand since back in the days of Digital Cities Boston on AOL (the only one of the 'Digital Cities' sites to even have a sports column, which happened because he sold himself to the editors something fierce), so the idea that he's only famous because of ESPN is kind of a non-starter. As much as he's become a self-absorbed blowhard, he's worked pretty hard to get the name recognition he's got.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Niwrad posted:

They have the Ringer feed if you want them all in one place. They also split them apart.

I'd rather they split them up because it's a pain in the rear end scrolling through podcasts about The Bachelor and golf when I want to find Keepin it 1600.

Do you mean Channel 33? That seems to only post teasers. I liked how Grantland had a sports feed and a pop culture feed but what can you do

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I think it's fairly safe to say that Simmons built his brand both because of being on Page2 and despite being on Page2, because Page2 was kind of a clusterfuck from the get-go. As much as there was a ton of great talent, there never seemed to be a clear idea of what to do with it.

Ralph Wiley was awesome

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MourningView posted:

the Simmons podcast can be good if it's an interesting guest and not just him talking to his incredibly boring friends.
Listening to his rich lawyer Yankee fan buddy offer his dumbfuck political analysis is enjoyably terrible, but not nearly as much as anything House says. House barely rises to the level of Some Guy and yet there he is yammering away like he's knowledgeable or interesting about any subject at all. Hey white guy who eats a lot of food, tell me more about the Trailblazers' transition game and how road teams are 11-4 against the spread on Monday Night following a three-touchdown loss.

And the reason they break out all the podcasts into their own individual feeds is so they can track the audience for each one. I was reading article a little while ago about podcasters complaining that Apple gives them very little information about their audience apart from raw download numbers, which makes podcasts really hard to monetize (aww, poor babies). Giving everything its own channel lets them figure out what's working and what isn't and what's fading and should be dumped and replaced.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Dude's been building his brand since back in the days of Digital Cities Boston on AOL (the only one of the 'Digital Cities' sites to even have a sports column, which happened because he sold himself to the editors something fierce), so the idea that he's only famous because of ESPN is kind of a non-starter. As much as he's become a self-absorbed blowhard, he's worked pretty hard to get the name recognition he's got.

http://www.itunescharts.net/us/artists/podcast/bill-simmons/podcasts/the-bill-simmons-podcast/

His "brand" is in free fall the longer he's been away from ESPN. I used to like him as a writer and I definitely like him as an editor/producer. But it is also obvious at this point that grantland wasn't a money maker. It will be really interesting to see how the ringer does without ESPN's deep pockets behind it. But the podcast world isn't a money maker at all. NPR has something like 30 podcasts and averages something like 80 million downloads a month (as opposed to his 50 million in 7 months), and podcast revenue is less than 10% of their sponsorship revenue:

https://www.themediabriefing.com/article/npr-and-panoply-on-the-economics-of-podcasting

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I don't know if I'm Too Old or what but I give zero fucks about podcasts no matter who is doing them or who is on them. This might also be because I can read way faster than anyone can talk.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah, same. It's also why I hate instructional YouTube videos. Just write it down ya jabronies

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

ElwoodCuse posted:

I don't know if I'm Too Old or what but I give zero fucks about podcasts no matter who is doing them or who is on them. This might also be because I can read way faster than anyone can talk.

Well its sort of sweeping statement because podcasts can be a lot of things. Long form journalism, funny short stories, improv comedy, and so on. I love reading in depth long form journalism pieces. But I also like listening to intelligent and funny people do intelligent and funny things while I'm on my commute, where reading would be hard to impossible.

Them splitting every podcast is good too, because just like at Grantland I'm interested in very specific podcasts and I don't want just one jumbo feed pulling down every episode of every show because I'd be deleting half of them anyways.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

This, and goddamn so many podcasters have no idea how to fill time, or know when to cut things off early, or fill half their time with "umm.... uh...." and have awful voices.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's no different than any other form of media. There are some that suck, some that don't, some that are boring, some that have no purpose.

I love podcasts though. With my job, I'm either traveling or at a desk, so I don't know what I would do without them at this point.

midwat
May 6, 2007

joepinetree posted:

But it is also obvious at this point that grantland wasn't a money maker.

I'm not sure Grantland was intended to be a profit-generating enterprise so much as a counterbalance for the "First Take"-style trash they let on their networks. As cutbacks loomed, though, I imagine sacrificing their "prestige" project (and getting rid of an expensive, difficult employee) was a relatively easy decision to make.

midwat fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 23, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ElwoodCuse posted:

I never figured out how to get them on my phone without using up all of my available space so I never really bothered. Plus it seems like most of the ones that weren't baseball-related I got recommended were at least 50% ads made to sound like part of the show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

midwat posted:

I'm not sure Grantland was intended to be a profit-generating enterprise so much as a counterbalance for the "First Take"-style trash they let on their networks. As cutbacks loomed, though, I imagine sacrificing their "prestige" project (and getting rid of an expensive, difficult employee) was a relatively easy decision to make.
Yes it was always a prestige project. It was never going to bring in a lot of traffic. Unfortunately once ESPN/Disney hit hard times it was the first thing to go.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

midwat posted:

That and keeping Simmons, who to that point had been really valuable for them, happy

ElwoodCuse posted:

I don't think they're really meant to replace written articles though? It's more like radio you can listen to whenever. They're nice when I'm doing something particularly mindless at work or have a long road trip or commute where reading something wouldn't be an option

Gay But Crush Puss
May 19, 2016

by zen death robot
I don't go to ESPN any more. I read grantland every day when it was up which would occasionally point me in its direction.

There almost no point to ESPN.com in this day and age of easy access to scores and highlights. ESPN has another "sportscenter problem" but this one is for their entire online product.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They're are lots of good people still writing for them, including ex-grantland folks! The site layout is garbage though

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

They're are lots of good people still writing for them, including ex-grantland folks! The site layout is garbage though

Yeah, they need author pages badly.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Yeah. The best way to find stuff right now is to follow writers you like on Twitter and get the links from there, which is, uh, less than ideal

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if they don't do this in order to keep people following ESPN and not writers that may come and go.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I feel like Lowe is writing less while they have him poo poo out podcasts instead. That's my beef about podcasts.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Kibner posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if they don't do this in order to keep people following ESPN and not writers that may come and go.

That's likely. ESPN believes "system > the player" even more than most teams, I think.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hand Row posted:

I feel like Lowe is writing less while they have him poo poo out podcasts instead. That's my beef about podcasts.

He has a column every Tuesday, plus random ones in between when he really wants to write about something in particular. Seems the same as Grantland to me.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hand Row posted:

He's still writing a lot, it's just harder to find. He had like three articles last week

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
It has picked up lately, but he had been missing Tuesdays as well as taping podcasts for topics he would normally write like playoff series previews.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Anyone would rather do podcasts than write, it's a lot less work.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Gay But Crush Puss posted:

I don't go to ESPN any more. I read grantland every day when it was up which would occasionally point me in its direction.

There almost no point to ESPN.com in this day and age of easy access to scores and highlights. ESPN has another "sportscenter problem" but this one is for their entire online product.

How funny, Channel 33 just put up a podcast regarding the future of tv highlights

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

midwat posted:

I know, and that's my point. Simmons is claiming that you don't need "the mother ship," but it's obvious that he was heavily subsidized, and that his bragging over podcast downloads is ridiculous. My favorite podcast network right now is bald move, and they're consistently ranking above Simmons stuff. And it's literally two guys in their basement who even with donations and merchandise make like 60 k a year podcasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay But Crush Puss
May 19, 2016

by zen death robot

joepinetree posted:

I know, and that's my point. Simmons is claiming that you don't need "the mother ship," but it's obvious that he was heavily subsidized, and that his bragging over podcast downloads is ridiculous. My favorite podcast network right now is bald move, and they're consistently ranking above Simmons stuff. And it's literally two guys in their basement who even with donations and merchandise make like 60 k a year podcasting.

Those basement dudes literally proves the point Simmons was making.

I mean lmao come on bruh u for real? Did you read the first part of your post and then the second part of your post and go "this looks good" before hitting reply?