Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Smol posted:

Being isolated is a big disadvantage on higher difficulties, since getting the extra science from trade routes is essential for not falling behind in the early game (the trade partner having the least techs gets extra beakers).

Yeah, I never go above Emperor because that's the last difficulty I can play on without having to micro-optimize everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I can play on immortal and possibly even diety (never tried) but I usually play emperor because I like to gently caress around and do silly self imposed challenges.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What's everyone's favorite silly self-imposed challenge

I normally go for "random Civ + a particular random victory condition, AIs still get to win any way they can" but that's pretty boring I guess

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm a fan of no settler runs.

I also like playing a peaceful nation and trying to use their abilities for conquest. Like taking Ethiopia and running an intensely war focused religion and razing new conquests to always keep my city count below my next target.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean, you can also just meet everybody and not be a warmonger.

You could also not go tradition-national college. It's not really optimal play though. Polynesia is right up there with Mongols in terms of how good they are at the conquest game on maps with several landmasses and their UI and UU are both sort of ehhh, making them much worse at a peaceful run through compared to other nations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Friends, the scales have fallen from my eyes and I have embraced naval combat. I used to never use boats since land units are a bit more practical, but I tried England for the first time last and wouldn't have made it past the industrial age if there wasn't one civ that didn't build his capital near the coast. Hammering cities with Ships Of The Line is incredible

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
There's nothing quite as satisfying as loving poo poo up with an enormous armada of galleas', frigates, or battleships. :yarr:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Germany, delete your first settler. Raging Barbarians helps.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Venice, no trade routes.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

You could also not go tradition-national college. It's not really optimal play though. Polynesia is right up there with Mongols in terms of how good they are at the conquest game on maps with several landmasses and their UI and UU are both sort of ehhh, making them much worse at a peaceful run through compared to other nations.

Polynesia can do a decent diplo run by founding the world congress and getting early access to some out of the way city states. Who gives a poo poo about optimal play?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Friends, the scales have fallen from my eyes and I have embraced naval combat. I used to never use boats since land units are a bit more practical, but I tried England for the first time last and wouldn't have made it past the industrial age if there wasn't one civ that didn't build his capital near the coast. Hammering cities with Ships Of The Line is incredible

Where's that gif of Elizabeth running across the ocean?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Decided to fire up the ol' CiV since Civ6 has been in the news a lot lately. Picked Carthage for my civ, spawned into an arctic peninsula with no food to speak of, tundra at one end, and Shaka at the other. Oh, game. :nallears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Decided to fire up the ol' CiV since Civ6 has been in the news a lot lately. Picked Carthage for my civ, spawned into an arctic peninsula with no food to speak of, tundra at one end, and Shaka at the other. Oh, game. :nallears:
But at least your coast wasn't cutoff from the rest of the world by some ice?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

But at least your coast wasn't cutoff from the rest of the world by some ice?

Nope, just a narrow north-south peninsula with a few city-states and Mount Fiji (which Shaka immediately settled).

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

canyoneer posted:

Where's that gif of Elizabeth running across the ocean?

You thinking of this one?

That came from an old LP of Civ5; you'll need archives to view it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3478706

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 19, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bloodly posted:

You thinking of this one?

That's the one.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Just Updated the GoonPack with a couple of other Civs, and also edited one of Bohemia's LUA files as they're UA was triggering on their own missionaries etc. meaning they got turned into spearmen the turn after you bought them. Still the same minor bugs as before.

https://mega.nz/#!oV8BFJrA!ZHiE8MpXQq8fjPXYsAkGiiJ5UPrMgUbb2DOvDS9lZ-E

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Naval wars own in CiV once you hit Frigates (or really Galleases, but you have to be much more careful about positioning) because you can just dance around units and capitals much more easily than you could with land units.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
One of the hidden bonuses of Polynesia is that they effectively get Frigates an age earlier than everyone else.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Hmm yes this is a sensible map.

Note the whales in this inland sea.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hmm yes this is a sensible map.

Note the whales in this inland sea.

It's just a very deep body of water or very large dolphins. I've played on two maps just like that recently. Weird.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey man, if there was a sea that big maybe some whale parallel would develop inland. We don't know how alien planets would develop.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There were whales at some point in the Caspian Sea, probably.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
could also be a population separated from the rest by continental drift millions of years ago

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
could also just be poo poo rear end dumb map gen fuckery

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
All of the above, really.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

No freshwater and the city appears to be on a plains tile so you can't build stoneworks. Looks like a restart is in order.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Real rulers don't reroll maps, they find a better capital and use that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Leaders with IGE use it to add in a river and a hill with marble. And then they get carried away adding one of every type of luxuries, and teleport all enemy settlers to tundra tiles entirely surrounded by ice.

Then they quit the game because it's boring. Perhaps installing IGE was a bad idea.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
2 wheat plains tiles immediately workable. Might not be river wheat tiles but having 3 yield unimproved tiles to work is really useful on those first ~50 turns. Bad luxuries for sure though.

Dealing with poo poo starts is something I've been struggling with in my "recent" games over the past few months. I used to restart when I got 2 lovely luxuries like whales + furs or something. Getting 2 bad yield luxuries that require 2 separate techs (which aren't mining) really does slow down your everything and there's nothing you can do about it. I lost a diety game going the normal 3 city national college, etc route with a slow start like that. Guess the lesson is if you are on diety you absolutely have to press your one advantage when you get a slow start: fighting wars effectively. Don't prioritize economy on your first expansion just pick a defensible spot that lets you lay into your neighbor and hide behind it until they run out of units.

The diety bullshit isn't exactly out of control on the first 150 turns. Sure they have huge front-loaded advantages but even attila can only build so much early on. :shrug: The AI gets absurd bonuses to gold, they improve tiles faster, start with free workers, settlers, scouts, etc. but none of that helps them when they have no army and no improved tiles to stack their production/growth modifiers onto. They stagnate slightly better than you would. If you can defeat their entire army and protect your capital from barbs with 3 comp. bowmen and your starting warrior then god help them when your army grows to a whopping 5-6 units.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Sanctum posted:

2 wheat plains tiles immediately workable. Might not be river wheat tiles but having 3 yield unimproved tiles to work is really useful on those first ~50 turns. Bad luxuries for sure though.

Dealing with poo poo starts is something I've been struggling with in my "recent" games over the past few months. I used to restart when I got 2 lovely luxuries like whales + furs or something. Getting 2 bad yield luxuries that require 2 separate techs (which aren't mining) really does slow down your everything and there's nothing you can do about it. I lost a diety game going the normal 3 city national college, etc route with a slow start like that. Guess the lesson is if you are on diety you absolutely have to press your one advantage when you get a slow start: fighting wars effectively. Don't prioritize economy on your first expansion just pick a defensible spot that lets you lay into your neighbor and hide behind it until they run out of units.

The diety bullshit isn't exactly out of control on the first 150 turns. Sure they have huge front-loaded advantages but even attila can only build so much early on. :shrug: The AI gets absurd bonuses to gold, they improve tiles faster, start with free workers, settlers, scouts, etc. but none of that helps them when they have no army and no improved tiles to stack their production/growth modifiers onto. They stagnate slightly better than you would. If you can defeat their entire army and protect your capital from barbs with 3 comp. bowmen and your starting warrior then god help them when your army grows to a whopping 5-6 units.

If you get poo poo luxuries that require multiple techs in your capital, sometimes it's best to scout for gold, silver, plantations or mineables not buried under jungle, and poo poo a second city out ASAP to keep some momentum up.

E: I guess jungle mineables are fine if you settle right on top of them. Even if you have the tech to chop them that early, 10 turns or whatever bullshit is way too long to waste your early turns on just for the privilege of waiting another 6 turns to improve the tile.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 22, 2016

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Is there a mod that allows you to have more than one economic/religious unit per tile?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GoGoGadget posted:

Is there a mod that allows you to have more than one economic/religious unit per tile?

CBP does.

Speaking of currently playing as Arabia and their new UA makes thems pump out Great People like mad. It's kinda hilarious with the Freedom policy that gives +10 Influence with City States each time a GP is born.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Rolling Venice on what turns out to be an inland sea is the biggest bummer.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hey guys, is an excess of Marsh tiles a good reason to re-roll? I mean they're annoying, take forever to clear, etc. and just get in the way. Especially when you get starts like this:

(Not my game, a friend's. Oh how I wish it was mine.)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Well I mean, it's the Netherlands, so that's just going to be Polder town.

And you have enough space south to start working stuff immediately while you wait for Guilds

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the Netherlands has a marshy start bias specifically so that they can throw down tulips over everything.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What about when the tulip market crashes?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Pvt.Scott posted:

Crashes? You're clearly mistaken my friend, Tulips can only go up, Up, UP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pvt.Scott posted:

askia-leader-screen-background.jpg

• Locked thread