Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy_Cominato
Oct 23, 2010
This will be a really safe Olympics (not!)
https://extra.globo.com/casos-de-po...s-19312324.html

15 wars between different drug dealer and paramilitary factions in 21 areas of the city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Lucy_Cominato posted:

This will be a really safe (sex) Olympics

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/16/health/olympics-zika-proof-condom/?iid=ob_lockedrail_bottomlarge

Athletes to receive Zika-proof condoms. But of course it hasn't received any kind of certification proving that, and a CDC adviser says condoms should already prevent Zika.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If I were an Olympic athlete I wouldn't let a single molecule of my dick touch anyone or anything in Brazil during the Olympics

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

-Troika- posted:

If I were an Olympic athlete I wouldn't let a single molecule of my dick touch anyone or anything in Brazil during the Olympics

then whats the point in even going if you can't do your best to gently caress your way through the globe in 2 weeks

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

-Troika- posted:

That kind of defeatist attitude is why you'll never be an Olympic athlete.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Like it matters. They literally order more condoms for the athletes than the last go round every games, and every time they gently caress right through all of them and keep going.

My point is Olympic athletes really, really like loving like cats during the Olympics.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
About 450,000 condoms will be distributed during the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, three times more than for the London Games four years ago, the International Olympic Committee says.

Part of the reason was because 100,000 female condoms will be available for the first time, along with 350,000 condoms for men. About 175,000 packets of lubricant are also being supplied.

The IOC says the condoms would encourage 10,500 athletes and staff to practice safe sex.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2016/05/20/plans-to-distribute-450000-condoms-at-olympics-announced-by-ioc/

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Practice makes perfect, I suppose.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lime Tonics posted:

About 450,000 condoms will be distributed during the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, three times more than for the London Games four years ago, the International Olympic Committee says.

Part of the reason was because 100,000 female condoms will be available for the first time, along with 350,000 condoms for men. About 175,000 packets of lubricant are also being supplied.

The IOC says the condoms would encourage 10,500 athletes and staff to practice safe sex.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2016/05/20/plans-to-distribute-450000-condoms-at-olympics-announced-by-ioc/

how long do the athletes stay for the olympics on average, they should probably aim for like three condoms per person per day

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its south america, half those condoms are for the middle eastern and asian teams to sneak coke back to their repressive homelands

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
The situation is; Brazil is a loving dump with raw sewage water

The question is; Why is anyone still serious about going there for any purpose aside to be infected or shot?

Should we boycott the olympics? Hell loving yes, till the Olympic Committee stops taking bribes to throw the damned thing in these little poo poo gently caress hellholes.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
There's a real easy solution to this. Let's just all decide to stop paying attention to the regular Olympics, and become big fans of the actual modern Olympics, The Wenlock Olympian Games.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SocketWrench posted:

The question is; Why is anyone still serious about going there for any purpose aside to be infected or shot?

Should we boycott the olympics? Hell loving yes, till the Olympic Committee stops taking bribes to throw the damned thing in these little poo poo gently caress hellholes.

The problem is that these countries aren't little poo poo gently caress hellholes, they're giant gaping poo poo gently caress hellholes with lots of money and enough luxury available to the rich that it can be easy to forget what hellholes they are.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
You said it three times, so per the law...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk9aThIovMA

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

https://theintercept.com/2016/05/23/new-political-earthquake-in-brazil-is-it-now-time-for-media-outlets-to-call-this-a-coup/

At what point does Zika/Poop water/Corruption Coup become unacceptable to the world?

Hahahaha. I know. Never, McDonalds and Visa thirst.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

SocketWrench posted:

I have to go to Brazil in September as I'm best man for a wedding. :suicide:

My government's threat level on travelling there is like 1.5 notches below travelling to places like Syria & Iraq: http://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/americas/south/Pages/brazil.aspx welp

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fanatic posted:

I have to go to Brazil in September as I'm best man for a wedding. :suicide:

My government's threat level on travelling there is like 1.5 notches below travelling to places like Syria & Iraq: http://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/americas/south/Pages/brazil.aspx welp

It's not just Zika, Brazil's government is seriously corrupt and also in the middle of a petro-coup. Virtually everyone in both the current political party and the opposition are implicated. It's a seriously unstable and dangerous place to visit right now.

Glenn Greenwald on the topic: http://www.democracynow.org/2016/3/24/glenn_greenwald_brazils_democracy_is_under

I heard on the BBC a couple days ago that a majority of the members who voted to impeach are also under investigation for corruption on their own...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 2, 2016

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Can't make this up,

On Sunday night, Transparency Minister Fabiano Silveira—whose job is intended to fight corruption—was heard in a recording aired on national television apparently advising Senate President Renan Calheiros on how to dodge investigators.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/brazils-transparency-minister-is-under-pressure-to-resign-1464641890

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe Brazil will do the world a favor and their country will literally dissolve into a civil war before the Olympics can start there.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Can't wait to see all the amazing ways that the Qatar 2022 World Cup will top this disaster.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can't wait to see all the amazing ways that the Qatar 2022 World Cup will top this disaster.

It turns out that they were saving on costs for materials by burying dead workers in the stadium foundations!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It will be very hot. Burn fuckers, burn!

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Morrow posted:

It turns out that they were saving on costs for materials by burying dead workers in the stadium foundations!

Yeah, but will there be anything new?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Everything's fine guys!!!! Nothing is ruined!!!!! We're all peachy-keen here!!!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/17/rio-de-janeiro-financial-emergency-olympic-games-2016

quote:

Forty-nine days before the opening of the Olympics, the governor of Rio de Janeiro has declared a state of financial emergency and begged for federal support to avoid a “total collapse in public security, health, education, transport and environmental management”.

The plea for funds is an embarrassment for the host of South America’s first Games and adds to a long list of woes that includes the impeachment of the president, the deepest recession in decades, the biggest corruption scandal in memory, the Zika epidemic and a wave of strikes and occupations of government buildings.

quote:

City mayor Eduardo Paes insisted the state of emergency would in no way impede Rio’s ability to meet its Olympic commitments and stage an “exceptional Games.” He stressed that the bulk of the bill for the event was being paid by the municipality not the state.

“The city of Rio is in good shape financially,” he told the Guardian. “Even in a time of crisis, we keep pushing. We inaugurate things almost every week.”

I met a pair planing to go down for the Olympics a couple weeks ago. I know they were worried about the Zika epidemic, but I don't know how closely they were following the political stuff. I'm not sure I'd want to be in Rio during the Olympics, doom virus aside.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm sure it won't impact the games, just a poo poo load of poor people.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Is this poo poo cancelled yet?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm sure it won't impact the games, just a poo poo load of poor people.

that almost feels worse

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Aside from the rampant corruption the 2020 games in Tokyo should be nice!

And LA is definitely gonna get it in 2024 so that will be an interesting clusterfuck.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

AriadneThread posted:

Everything's fine guys!!!! Nothing is ruined!!!!! We're all peachy-keen here!!!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/17/rio-de-janeiro-financial-emergency-olympic-games-2016

I met a pair planing to go down for the Olympics a couple weeks ago. I know they were worried about the Zika epidemic, but I don't know how closely they were following the political stuff. I'm not sure I'd want to be in Rio during the Olympics, doom virus aside.

It seems that because the mosquito population declines during the time the Olympics will be held and computer models blah blah blah zika is honestly the least thing you should be worried about given everything else that is happening.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hey at least the Russians don't have to worry about getting Zika.

quote:

There will be no track and field athletes competing under the Russian flag at the Rio Olympics after the world athletics governing body ruled they had not met readmission criteria imposed when they suspended over widespread state sponsored doping in November last year.

fnox
May 19, 2013

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

It seems that because the mosquito population declines during the time the Olympics will be held and computer models blah blah blah zika is honestly the least thing you should be worried about given everything else that is happening.

I just contracted Zika, admittedly I am in the Northern Hemisphere and closer to the tropics than Rio, but still I don't know how true that statement about the Aedes dying out may be.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

fnox posted:

I just contracted Zika, admittedly I am in the Northern Hemisphere and closer to the tropics than Rio, but still I don't know how true that statement about the Aedes dying out may be.

The pattern of Aedes related infections is pretty stable. Of course the mosquito doesn't completely die out, but the pattern is pretty stable that, specially by August, the number of infections is substantially smaller:

X axis are weeks of the year. Number of cases of Dengue fever on the Y axis. That is for the entire country.
For Rio, here's dengue and zika stats:

The olympics will be a shitshow, but not because of zika (more likely to be caused by literal poo poo in the Guanabara bay).

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 20, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/LieslTesch/status/744879791279603712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Good start.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My city is considering a bid for the Olympics. If they make it past this first stage, I'm loving moving. No one can possibly be so completely goddamn stupid, right?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

fnox posted:

What's it like? Just a cold?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

He went into it a bit in the Venezuela thread. poo poo's weird, guy grew a third testicle.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Australia’s Olympians could be subject to curfew and warned off vast areas of Rio de Janeiro following a number of violent robberies on athletes in the Games city.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

PT6A posted:

My city is considering a bid for the Olympics. If they make it past this first stage, I'm loving moving. No one can possibly be so completely goddamn stupid, right?

Stupid like a fox. The politicians and businessmen putting in the bid can probably fleece all kinds of money out of an Olympics bid, no matter if it's successful or not.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

What's it like? Just a cold?

You feel like poo poo for a week, basically. It's sort of like a cold with an added rash and some joint pain. I sure didn't feel like breaking any Olympic world records while I had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Rory McIlroy, probably one of the biggest names in golf, is apparently not going to the Olympics because of Zika:

quote:

Rory McIlroy has pulled out of the Olympic Games in Rio because of concerns about the Zika virus.

In a statement, McIlroy said that "my health and my family's health comes before everything else".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/36595631

I wonder if this will inspire more athletes to do similar.

• Locked thread