Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Omg praying 4 ur nips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
Public service announcement: If your "ordinary pregnancy back pain" is joined by stabbing pain in your abdomen, don't waffle about it, don't put it off, just go to the loving doctor/hospital. There are a number of wonderful things this can be, and you will be a lot happier once you're on a pain management plan.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

Public service announcement: If your "ordinary pregnancy back pain" is joined by stabbing pain in your abdomen, don't waffle about it, don't put it off, just go to the loving doctor/hospital. There are a number of wonderful things this can be, and you will be a lot happier once you're on a pain management plan.

I hope you're feeling better!

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

dopaMEAN posted:

I hope you're feeling better!

Thanks! I both do and don't. I am getting discharged from the hospital today in spite of things not really being over, as generally everything they'd normally do for kidney stones to get a better diagnosis/help things along isn't the best idea for pregnant women. Technically this might just be pregnancy- related hydronephrosis (which would actually be WORSE than a kidney stone, because pregnancy is a sadistic bitch), but there are significant signs that it's a stone.

Pregnancy: You will have a different relationship with your friends, your family and your pee.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
My least favorite diagnosis was "you're pregnant " for when I was uncomfortable

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Funhilde posted:

My least favorite diagnosis was "you're pregnant " for when I was uncomfortable

It's starting to wear on me too. I'm 39 weeks and I'm tired and in pain and the doctor just cheerfully goes "that's just because you're pregnant!" gently caress you, my friend.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Palisader posted:

It's starting to wear on me too. I'm 39 weeks and I'm tired and in pain and the doctor just cheerfully goes "that's just because you're pregnant!" gently caress you, my friend.

I feel like that's the least helpful thing anyone can say. It was part of why I took longer than I probably should have to go to the hospital; I'm so used to all of my issues just being normal pregnancy stuff that I was on the floor crying before I called anyone, and then I went to the OB instead of straight to the hospital. I went pretty much an extra 6 hours before being in a situation where I actually got help, and mostly because I was halfway sure that I would be told "yeah, you're just pregnant." After my initial ultrasound at the OB I even got a senile old doctor telling me it was probably just gas pains before a younger one showed up, told me my pee test had turned up scary poo poo, and told me to go to the hospital.

Luckily (?) it was in fact a kidney stone! Pregnancy makes you more likely to have those, because when it rains it pours. Though I guess if I get one again I now have a small supply of prescription pain meds to tide me over until steps can be taken, so things don't get QUITE as bad as they did this time.

I'm a little less afraid of labor, now.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've got an early-stage Baby Goon growing inside me, so obviously I turn here for advice. Is there a collated list of Goon-recommended products for having on hand before birth that's somewhere in the 280+ pages between the OP and now? I'm trying to do my research on diapers, strollers, and car seats, and I have quickly become overwhelmed...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

the_chavi posted:

I've got an early-stage Baby Goon growing inside me, so obviously I turn here for advice. Is there a collated list of Goon-recommended products for having on hand before birth that's somewhere in the 280+ pages between the OP and now? I'm trying to do my research on diapers, strollers, and car seats, and I have quickly become overwhelmed...

Buy your snoogle now before you want it.

Find the sanest looking checklist you can and use that. A lot of things are best learned from your friends, especially free stuff. When trying out strollers really beat em up. Try and do things like you're holding a screaming toddler. If they can't stand up to a zillion idiots screwing with them in the store, how well will they hold up to bring literally thrown into your trunk? Stock up on buy buy baby coupons, you can bring them a receipt up to a year later with a coupon and they refund you no questions asked. Just hand them a stack of coupons, you might get lucky like us and have your stroller be 20% off. :smug:

Things we've used in the first 12 days? Several swaddle blankets, 2 miracle swaddles [3] (seriously), Chico Keyfit 30 "Magic" (Comes with a sun shade), extra base for second car, a box of target brand newborn diapers, while typing I put on the first '1' size target diaper with 8 newborn to spare, bout 4 packages of wipes, several rolls of paper towels, a zillion cloth diapers as rags/birp cloths [1], coffee, all the white noise money can buy, oxy clean for stains, coffee, Mayo Clinic pregnancy and birth + babies first year, stroller (city mini GT w/ carseat adapter and coffee scalding station[4]), my brest friend (lol), a boppy because it was free, second set of pumping supplies, coffee, timer gizmo [2] (it seems like a gizmo but holy moly it was useful), diaper bag [5]. You also need a crib, changing area (get a non-absorbent one. It should be a crime against humanity to sell anything but [6]) and a Ubbi diaper can.

For dad? Cans of Illy coffee for the hospital. http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002IEZJMA/ Inflatable mattress to sleep on unless he is tiny or can sleep anywhere military style. They provide sheets/pillows.

Take all the supplementation formula pre-mix samples you can get your hands on, you have no idea if breastfeeding is going to "click" immediately. Actually, take all the non-linen stuff from the hospital. Diapers, wipes, the stuff in the bathroom, etc. Don't read the LLL womanly art of breastfeeding, it spends most of its pages telling you how if breastfeeding has issues it's because you didn't give birth correctly. We've had the most luck with literal hands-on instruction.

[1] http://smile.amazon.com/Gerber-Birdseye-3-Ply-Prefold-Diapers/dp/B007VBYVWE
[2] http://smile.amazon.com/Pocket-Nanny-Itzbeen-Personal-Timer/dp/B000MEB3GE/
[3] http://smile.amazon.com/Miracle-Blanket-Swaddle-Natural-Beige/dp/B000G0L2TM
[4] http://smile.amazon.com/Britax-USA-S866100-Stroller-Organizer/dp/B007CTPWXW
[5] http://smile.amazon.com/DadGear-Backpack-Diaper-Bag-Solid/dp/B000O1SLSI
[6] http://smile.amazon.com/Keekaroo-Peanut-Diaper-Changer-Grey/dp/B01DJOL2XW/

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen

the_chavi posted:

I have found Amazon reviews, targeted google searches, and visiting Buy Buy Baby invaluable for this sort of thing. I made my registry on Amazon early on and went with a lot of the picks they had that were easy to find. I put one of everything they suggested because you get a free gift from Amazon for completing it. For the past 6 weeks I've been periodically changing and removing things as I have time to research. Some of the things they push you to put on your registry are totally unnecessary so I removed those. But I've added several things that I know I will need like car sun shades and a good thermometer.

I also added some smaller stuff that aren't really 100% necessary but I would like to have. If someone coming to my shower can't afford to buy me something expensive they can get one of the under $20 items.

One of the things that helped was going to Buy Buy Baby and perusing everything in person. Their selection is a million times better than Babies R Us but you can go there instead if you don't have a Buy Buy Baby close by. You can make notes of the things you like and then look them up online afterwards to make sure they're a good buy. For example, they had some really cool baby bath tubs at Buy Buy Baby (I can afford to splurge a little) but upon further research online most people said they didn't work well and just ended up being a waste of money. I went with one much nicer than I originally picked when I originally put my registry together but not the one that I would have picked had I bought it at Buy Buy Baby that day.

I chose my crib using a combination of Consumer Reports, recommendation threads on The Bump.com and Amazon reviews.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Stock up on diapers! Buy one pack of newborn size (you'll inevitably receive at least one more during your shower, and babies grow out of newborn diapers fast) and then, starting at about 6 months, buy a pack of sizes 1 or 2 at least every other week. Trust me when I say that rushing out to buy diapers at 5 pm during rush hour with a screaming baby because you've run out and keeping track of that sort of thing is harder than you thought it'd be when you're sleep deprived WILL happen, and is not fun. If you're the sort of person who likes numbers, here is a fantastic blog post that I refer to a lot:

http://www.southernsavers.com/stocking-up-on-diapers-how-much-to-buy-at-what-price/

Though I also buy a lot of the giant boxes at Costco when they're on sale.

You will start getting 20% off one item coupons from Buy Buy Baby like the previous poster mentioned, and you 100% want to save and use those. If you register with them as well you'll get a 10% off everything left on your registry coupon that is great if you end up getting family members who just give you money and tell you to buy what you need (like we did). I also used my registry as a way to sort out what I needed, so I added things to it that I never expected to get. Basically like a checklist that sometimes people will buy things off of.

Carve out some time and visit the baby store of your liking. Track down an associate and ask questions about everything. Try on the baby carriers. This stuff can be expensive as hell, and there's no shame in spending an hour looking at Moby wraps at babies r us just to wind up buying it at Kohls.

Buy a diaper bag earlier than you think you should (I got mine about 7 months in) and stock it. Keep in mind that you're going to have a tiny poop machine that cares little for your adult ideas about "clean" and always carry several spare changes of clothes, lots of wipes, and a way to feed them in any situation.

Buy some Dreft (or equivalent) to wash the 500 adorable outfits you'll end up getting.

Edit: Amaterasu reminded me--don't spend too much on a baby bath, you only need something basic. The ones with whirlpool functions and digital temp readings and all that jazz look pretty, cost a lot, and break immediately.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Palisader posted:

Buy some Dreft (or equivalent) to wash the 500 adorable outfits you'll end up getting.

There's no need to buy special detergent, especially Dreft. That stuff has such a strong smell I can't believe it's made for babies.

We just used what we use for all of our clothes, All Free & Clear.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

GoreJess posted:

There's no need to buy special detergent, especially Dreft. That stuff has such a strong smell I can't believe it's made for babies.

It worked well enough for my daughter, even though whatever they use in diapers to mask smells caused her to break out in bloody rashes. That said, All Free & Clear is amazing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoreJess posted:

We use Arm & Hammer perfume and dye free, so far so good nothing has dissolved in the wash. Given we have a total of ~4 newborn outfits they have already seen plenty of washing.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hand-me-down everything :shrug: People will probably offer stuff after your pregnancy is public knowledge.

You'll also probably get diapers and outfits at the baby shower and/or after birth.

Don't overthink, don't overstock, don't overspend.

P.S. I literally use GOON diapers.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Forgot the photo, and here's an article too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

peanut posted:

Hand-me-down everything :shrug: People will probably offer stuff after your pregnancy is public knowledge.

You'll also probably get diapers and outfits at the baby shower and/or after birth.

Don't overthink, don't overstock, don't overspend.

P.S. I literally use GOON diapers.

People keep saying this but I have no friends or something because it hasn't happened. (We don't have any good friends with kids in the area.)

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
I personally found The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding useful- certainly helped reinforce our preference for an intervention free, med free birth. It's handy to have on hand if you're not plugged into various breastfeeding resources like LLL groups and IBLCs and experienced friends/family/medical staff to help you. We're lucky though, being relatively low maintenance. I certainly wouldn't advocate our relative social isolation or suggest that a book would replace actual warm living help. I did find Facebook groups for the normalisation of breastfeeding strangely comforting coming from a background of only having witnessed breastfeeding up close on one occasion in my life, surrounded by formula feeders.

You can survive without hell of a lot of baby gear if you want to. We've used so far in the first 5 weeks:

Spectra S1 pump and breast milk storage bags
Half a dozen sets of infant clothes
Modern cloth nappies (can be done really simply if you want, no need to get bamboozled with the brands/details unless you want to)
A handful of disposable nappies
Cloth wipes that we wet under the tap for nappy changes and then wash with the MCNs
Woven wrap for baby wearing
Car seat (here's another area that is ready to get bamboozled in--in hindsight I'd go for the slimmest seat that does extended rear facing even if it only goes 0-4 years)
Grobags for sleeping in
Muslin swaddle cloths for swaddle/burp cloth
Lanolin if you're using wool nappy covers, but also works great for a barrier ointment.

That's it. We do have a playmat and a Finnish baby box that the kid can be put down on/in, and occasionally give her a pacifier but they're really not necessary. We bed share (admittedly definitely not for everyone, and needs to be done safely), so no crib or baby monitor. She bathes in a large basin or showers with one of us. Our midwife herself is a fan of the kitchen sink as a baby bath. My mother bought us an expensive stroller that hasn't been touched since our woven wraps are more convenient and transport friendly. Not to mention warmer against the elements.

Also if you happen to be game to use cloth nappies, don't bother buying 'flushable' liners. They don't actually flush safely and don't wick away moisture anyway so their supposed convenience is minor. They do make surprisingly passable wet wipes for baby though, that you can just wet with water if you happen to have a bunch of them on hand.

We mainly chose to go the washable nappies/wipes route to cut down on landfill and save money in the long term since supplies usually last ok for a second baby or can be sold in lots of secondhand buy/sell/swap FB groups.

E: We didn't get any hand me downs either, but fb is handy for secondhand kids stuff-- people usually sell off bulk lots of clothes by gender and size, so you get to pick up like a hundred things for very little. And sell on what you don't use. Though if you live in the USA aren't clothes stupidly cheap anyway? Don't buy expensive stuff, they grow out of things so fast early on so I'm told.

nyerf fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 23, 2016

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Resale shops like Once Upon A Child are great for gear you only use for a short time (walkers and jumpers) and gently used clothes if you don't have a source for hand me downs.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

nyerf posted:

E: We didn't get any hand me downs either, but fb is handy for secondhand kids stuff-- people usually sell off bulk lots of clothes by gender and size, so you get to pick up like a hundred things for very little. And sell on what you don't use. Though if you live in the USA aren't clothes stupidly cheap anyway? Don't buy expensive stuff, they grow out of things so fast early on so I'm told.

Yeah it's garage sale season right now and I have been picking up pieces for stupid cheap. Most of them look new (or are nwt) because I guess everyone get a glut of clothes if they register for it or have a babyshower. I'm only registered for things I want new with no baby shower and both sides of the family are lazy and just giving us cash.

The one thing I haven't been able to get are side snap/kimono style onesies so I will have to shell out full price for those.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Rurutia posted:

Yeah it's garage sale season right now and I have been picking up pieces for stupid cheap. Most of them look new (or are nwt) because I guess everyone get a glut of clothes if they register for it or have a babyshower. I'm only registered for things I want new with no baby shower and both sides of the family are lazy and just giving us cash.

The one thing I haven't been able to get are side snap/kimono style onesies so I will have to shell out full price for those.

I think the kimono style stuff just recently became popular in the US, because I didn't see anything even close with my daughter, which was 10 years ago (I wasn't looking either, so grain of salt and all that).

jemsy
May 27, 2010

DOG EATS APPLE
:3:
I'm 8wks pregnant and I feel like a bag of butts. Constantly snacking/nibbling isn't staving off the nausea anymore.

Any tips for other coping methods? I've never liked the taste of ginger, but hell, the sight/smell of a freshly grilled steak had me booking it out of the kitchen the other night, so who knows anymore? I just need to get through the work days.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

jemsy posted:

I'm 8wks pregnant and I feel like a bag of butts. Constantly snacking/nibbling isn't staving off the nausea anymore.

Any tips for other coping methods? I've never liked the taste of ginger, but hell, the sight/smell of a freshly grilled steak had me booking it out of the kitchen the other night, so who knows anymore? I just need to get through the work days.

Congrats and my sympathies!

I made use of:
-Sea bands (they sound scammy/might be a placebo effect, but they were cheap and I was willing to take what I could get)
-A temporary switch to gummi prenatals (without iron)
-Whining to my OB and getting told to take Unisom ( Doxylamine succinate 25 mg)and B6, both of which are safe and OTC. It didn't make the nausea completely go away during first trimester, but it took a sizable chunk out of it.

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008

jemsy posted:

I second the Unisom + B6 combo. There's actually a prescription medication that you can get (Diclegis), but my insurance wouldn't cover it. The OTC combo works just as well though.

I hate the taste of ginger, but I found that sniffing it helped me.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
Eat whatever the hell sounds good even if it's total crap. I set aside my usual eating pattern of aiming for balanced meals and reasonable nutrition during the morning sickness phases and just ate whatever I could stomach on any given day. Your appetite will come back and you can focus on eating better later in the pregnancy.

And the b6 + unisom when it gets really bad!

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

New Weave Wendy posted:

Eat whatever the hell sounds good even if it's total crap. I set aside my usual eating pattern of aiming for balanced meals and reasonable nutrition during the morning sickness phases and just ate whatever I could stomach on any given day. Your appetite will come back and you can focus on eating better later in the pregnancy.

And the b6 + unisom when it gets really bad!

This. There was a 3-week period when I basically lived on soup, frozen pizza, and baked potatoes, and also a month where I ate sunchips for breakfast.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Re: Stuff you want/need, these are both breastfeeding related: One thing I never thought of and no one thought to tell me was that your boobs are gonna leak. Some boobs are leakier than others, I guess. Nursing pads were necessary unless I wanted to change my shirt 9 million times a day in the early days or if we were out and about. I bought a bunch of the cloth ones. I seem to be the only woman who ended up with smaller boobs after breastfeeding for about 18 months, so they now serve as padding in my bra if I ever need to wear a bra, because I can't find any that fit me!

Also, THIS. THIS THIS THIS THIS. Milkies Milk Saver:

http://www.mymilkies.com/milksaver

I wish I'd known about it from day 1. I never had much luck pumping (I have really small boobs, it didn't affect my ability to breastfeed but I "made on demand" since there wasn't much storage space!) and this thing was so awesome for letting me store milk to freeze for bottles. That and my Boppy pillow are the items that saw the most use during my son's infancy.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

the_chavi posted:

I found Lucie's List very helpful for putting together my registry. Good reviews and she has recommendations for various budgets. http://www.lucieslist.com/
I used that and Amazon reviews.

Second the suggestion on the Keekaroo changing pad - seems like a no brainer to have a changing pad that you can just wipe down.

Also if you have Amazon prime, sign up for Amazon Family and subscribe & save. Not only do you save 20% on diapers and have them delivered to you every month, but you can return them for free if your baby ends up growing too quickly and you have an unopened box of 200 too-small diapers...

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Any tips for expectant fathers who are losing patience with their mood-swinging wives (beside ranting on an Internet forum)?

I went into this knowing that my wife (who's already a bit anxious/obsessive) would have some extreme mood swings. I knew that she was going through a really difficult process that I would never fully comprehend. And I knew that my main job was to support her and help her and sometimes take a little verbal abuse from her. I know that most important part of being a good father is being a good husband.

For the first seven months, I (think I) did that well. Helped her through the morning sickness, went to every doctor's appointment, cooked special meals and made midnight runs for food craving, told her she's beautiful when she was half-naked and crying, everything I could think of. After seven months, though, her mood swings got really nasty, with some ugly personal things like, "we're going to get divorced because you never pick up your socks." That sounds funny when it's typed out, but hearing the woman says she wants to divorce you, thirty minutes after she said how much she loves you, is nerve-wracking.

An example: Saturday, she was talking to the baby. She said his name to see if he would move. Then she sang to him to see if he would move. I got into it myself, calling his name with my mouth next to her belly. She and I loved it. While we're both staring at my wife's belly making baby talk, our dog came over. I tried to get the dog to bark, to see if that would get a reaction from the baby. The dog started doing tricks but wouldn't bark. I spent about thirty seconds going, "Speak, Bella, speak!" My wife put my hand on her belly because the baby was moving. I tried again to get the dog to bark, when suddenly my wife shouted, "You love that dog more than you love your own son!" And then came a ten-minute lecture on how I'm going neglect our son because I spend too much time with the dog.

I know my wife wasn't like this before the pregnancy. I mean, not even before the third trimester. I know the mood swings are caused by hormones, not real failures on my part. I know she's going through a physically and mentally painful time. And I know it will pass. Knowing these things have kept me understanding, supportive, and patient for 8 months. But, now, at 38 weeks, I'm loving fed up. I'm about to sleep on the couch tonight, and I'm seriously thinking getting a hotel for a night or two.

Have any husbands/boyfriends gone through the same thing? Any tips for helping a wife who changes her mood every hour? Barring that, any tips for just staying calm yourself? Before anyone asks, she won't get professional help. I see a counselor once a month for minor depression, and my counselor has said my wife is welcome to jump in any of my sessions. But my wife won't go. She didn't have any mood problems before the pregnancy, and she's convinced that she doesn't have any mood problems now. So what else is there to do?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Can you join her at her next appointment and speak with her doctor privately about you concerns? I doubt it'll get better after the baby as her hormones go in a wild swing in a different direction at that point. Is she eating enough or is it certain times of the day? I know I've been getting super irritated if I'm hungry. I almost yelled at the lady at the mall this weekend when I told her once I didn't want to give out my phone number to join their mailing list after I refused once.

I SAID NO OK I DONT WANT YOUR DUMB COUPONS FOR CANDLES.

My sympathies though, we're not easy to deal with sometimes and you seem pretty rational about your expectations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bagheera posted:

Any tips for expectant fathers who are losing patience with their mood-swinging wives (beside ranting on an Internet forum)?

Have any husbands/boyfriends gone through the same thing? Any tips for helping a wife who changes her mood every hour? Barring that, any tips for just staying calm yourself? Before anyone asks, she won't get professional help. I see a counselor once a month for minor depression, and my counselor has said my wife is welcome to jump in any of my sessions. But my wife won't go. She didn't have any mood problems before the pregnancy, and she's convinced that she doesn't have any mood problems now. So what else is there to do?

Couples therapy. Do it for the communication skills, not for the mood "problems." It's hard to stress how useful this has been in the day to day relationship with my wife. See if she will go to help you, even if she "doesn't need any help?" In all likelihood you both need help. Things don't magically get easier with a screaming infant and baby blues.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Very very long post incoming:

First, background:

I'm 26 weeks and in really bad pain. It started with insomnia and foot pain over a month ago and the pain migrated up my legs over time and into the small of my back. We're unfortunately stuck with Kaiser Permanente insurance and while I can't attest to how they are in any other category, they treat pregnant women like total dogshit in this region.

I went in for a regular checkup with my OB when it first started and was told to meditate and that "tee hee you're pregnant silly" BS. Well, I have a three year old so guess who wasn't going to be able to meditate? Within three days I hadn't slept at all and the pain had moved into my thighs. At this point I was so tired I was seeing things, blurry images and double vision and such, so my husband called the Kaiser nurse line. The nurse line took four hours to call us back and gave me an appointment for a GP in the same complex my OB is in. I should at this point mention that the complex is over an hour away and it's literally the closest and only place that will take us.
The GP wouldn't help me. She said she couldn't because I was pregnant. I asked her why the nurse line booked us in then and she just shrugged, totally didn't care. So I went back into the waiting room and bawled my eyes out to my husband because I was scared and exhausted. The doctor came out into the room and started acting like I was going insane and telling me she was going to book me into the PSYCHIATRIC WARD and probably would have had my blood pressure not bottomed out at that point and made me pass out. At this point she sent me downstairs to the Urgent Care, which charged me a second copay.

The Urgent Care proved even worse when the doctor there entered the room and without even giving me her name asked me right off if I was bipolar. These were not people who were giving any fucks about me. They took a poo poo ton of blood and after four or five hours of being totally alone without even being checked on the doctor came back and told me "your blood clot test was very abnormal but I think it's all in your head so I scheduled you to see the psychiatrist tomorrow."

gently caress. You.

I left in hysterics and thanks to the help of various Facebook Goons finally managed to sleep like a normal human being again with the help of Calcium/unisom/b vitamins. But the leg pain had now migrated to my lower back and I went to the (non-Kaiser) ER a week later, at which point I learned that the panic I felt over my blood clot test was unwarranted as YOU NEVER D-DIMER A PREGNANT WOMAN because it will always be high. I was so scared that whole week for nothing. The ER ultrasounded my whole everything to be double drat sure, then they gave me 15 Vicodin and said tell my OB everything.

My next OB appointment was a month from then, and I have this thing against pills (mom and sis have issues) so I took like half of one whenever the pain was so extreme I just couldn't anymore. By the time my OB saw me I still had three whole pills left out of the 15. I told her what had happened and she was appalled at my treatment, and I thought she was going to help me at first, but then she started talking to me in serious tones about how she needed to "wean me off the Vicodin". Like I was some loving junkie. I had taken 12 pills over 30 days. I asked her what she could do to help me with my now quite constant back pain and she said " well, you're pregnant silly! Have you tried meditation?"

Did I mention I literally have nowhere else I can go?

Well that's the back story, here's the bit I need help with:
Yesterday I woke up in the middle of the night and I couldn't take a deep breath without a stabbing pain in my lower right back. I wanted to go to the ER but my husband insisted on me seeing another GP in the Kaiser Complex. My appointment is at 4 in the afternoon and it's 3:25 AM here now and I can't breathe deep enough to sleep. Has anyone had anything like this before? I have had four children and this is #5 and I've never had this happen. Changing position doesn't help at all. It only hurts briefly when I breathe hard and my pee/BM are normal.

Stairs fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 24, 2016

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I'm sorry for you, Stairs :(

Unfortunately I do have similar experiences. I spent months in horrible pain - I have dealt with chronic pain for years but this was a whole other story. I had tearing feelings in my abdomen/rib area which was so severe at times I couldn't move or do anything but lay still on the bed. Then further on I had such terrible SPD I couldn't walk (and a year later is still an issue, but thats beside the point). Sitting, standing, even laying down sucked. There was no position I was comfortable. But not being able to walk was the worst.

I had all the tests - to their credit the hospital and GP were on top of making sure the baby and everything was ok. But the attitudes could definitely have used some work.

I don't know if there really are NO pain relief options for pregnant women, but I was offered nothing and told repeatedly to take paracetemol. Of course paracetemol doesn't even touch that poo poo. I was reduced to tears on a daily basis and in the last month of pregnancy literally had to have my SO help me get out of bed and walk to the bathroom, which would again reduce me to tears. It was so painful and so awful. And of course the diagnosis was "you're pregnant".

Yeah, thanks, I realise that! Does that mean we should have to suffer potentially for months on end? Is there some reason we should have to be martyrs because we're having a baby? Surely there is something, anything that can be done to help even a little?

Can we at least be treated like we're not either blowing it out of proportion, big wimps or just have to suck it up a little harder? Knowing it's going to end in 3, 2, months or whatever is of limited help when you can't concentrate on anything or function because of pain.

Anyway, if they have done all the tests you can at least know the baby is healthy. Pregnancy fucks up your body in ways you can't even predict, some of which no one will probably have heard of! Doctors were flummoxed by my abdominal pain.

The only advice I have is ask for help and lean on people, do whatever you can to get through. Eat takeout so you don't have to cook, let the housework go to hell and try to find aome little thing you can do to relax for a tiny portion of the day. And you can curse me out because that's not helpful advice either :) You are not alone!

Edit: Australian, not sure if there are differences between how pain is treated with preggos in the US... I hope better!

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 24, 2016

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh man, thanks y'all. Great starting points - much appreciated!

jemsy posted:

High five, looks like we're at the same point... though my nausea hasn't been overwhelming, just fairly constant unsettled stomach.

nissu
Apr 29, 2014
This might be a bit TMI, but has any of you had problems doing number two after vaginal birth?

It's now two and a half weeks since baby boy's birth. He was helped to this world by two midwives, the other one by pressing my stomach and the other one doing her regular things between my legs. They even had to do a medio-lateral episiotomy to help him out (max sized baby for my size..).

And now I have some issues when going to toilet. Pre-pregnancy my bowel worked pretty much once a day. Now it takes as much as five to six days between and even that with a help of plum nectar or dried plums. And it doesn't feel too good. Is this going to get better or do I have to start taking some medicine to help speed things up?

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

nissu posted:

This might be a bit TMI, but has any of you had problems doing number two after vaginal birth?

It's now two and a half weeks since baby boy's birth. He was helped to this world by two midwives, the other one by pressing my stomach and the other one doing her regular things between my legs. They even had to do a medio-lateral episiotomy to help him out (max sized baby for my size..).

And now I have some issues when going to toilet. Pre-pregnancy my bowel worked pretty much once a day. Now it takes as much as five to six days between and even that with a help of plum nectar or dried plums. And it doesn't feel too good. Is this going to get better or do I have to start taking some medicine to help speed things up?

Immediately after birth the nurses at the hospital started offering me a stool softener (Colace) and they did this round the clock while I was there. I continued taking them every day for a few weeks after I got home. I'd say it's pretty normal to have this issue, and you should try a stool softener if prunes aren't cutting it.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Stool softener is my best friend, both during and after. I will literally drink a liter of water with benefiber in it every day, but still need a stool softener to help out sometimes.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

This past week or so has been a rollercoaster.

My nausea went away completely, as well as all symptoms entirely for a good four days. I worried a lot, but then they came back with a complete and utter vengeance, worse than before. The nausea which was a low-key thing made me nearly useless during a large part of the day, and the food aversions were insane - I couldn't eat anything heavier than fruits and veggies and light soups without gagging. It's slowly getting a little better but holy cow, those few days.

It's tamed down some, but man, I'm on week 12 starting today and I really hope it goes away soon. :( The seabands that someone recommended did seem to help when it was less acute and sudden, but they do little against what I've been feeling recently.

I did have my second ultrasound yesterday, and everything looks perfectly fine. Heartbeat of 160, it moved around for us, everything looked good. Seeing the baby move around when they moved the ultrasound around was :3: and made all of this suddenly feel so real. We opted for the genetic screening so we should find out the gender a little early.

To the folks suffering from a lot of nausea, the thing that has been helping me have been baby carrots. I've eaten so many baby carrots that I'm beginning to hate them, but I don't know if it's the water content or the sugar content, but they really do seem to help.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Whelp, got a bucket seat cause sale...

Chicco Keyfit 30 for $112, sign up for emails to get free shipping.

http://www.chiccoshop.com/gear/car-seats/keyfit-30-infant-car-seat-and-base--rainfall/08061472230070.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

nissu posted:

Kudos for coming across as super calm post hell of a lot having happened to your pelvic floor. We had a normal vaginal delivery with only a couple grade one tear and had a single stitch and I was still terrified every time I coughed or sneezed in the first few weeks. I've never had any leaking or accidents through the pregnancy or since but just the pelvic floor laxity in the first few weeks post birth was scary. I was badly constipated from day one of the pregnancy, and post birth it only got worse thanks to the extra iron my midwife had me take.

It is not worth it to strain to do a poo. I can't emphasise this enough. Haemorrhoids, prolapses, rectoceles, don't Google any of those btw. The less in your lifetime you have to strain to poo the better, but your pelvic floor has been through the wars with an epiostomy so the more fibre and fluids you can ingest the better. We're six weeks out and I'm still taking a half dose of a stool softener, drinking at least 3L fluids a day, at least one dose of psyllium husk (Metamucil or else the plain stuff) and one of soluble fiber like Benefiber, and trying to eat add many fibrous fruits and vegetables I can daily. The first two/three weeks was worse: I was taking actual laxatives in high doses on top of stool softeners but eventually weaned off gradually to the regime above.

I don't know if breastfeeding is similar to pregnancy in a constipation effect but the iron in prenatal/pregnancy/breastfeeding vitamins definitely does, and breastfeeding sucks a lot of fluid out of you which would contribute to constipation. For me at least I won't be surprised if I have to load up on fiber forever to be able to poo properly until I stop the iron supplements and stop breastfeeding :(

And get a footstool for the toilet to put your feet on during bowl motions- raises your knees to more of a squatting position so your rectum/pelvic floor is in a better position to go without you having to strain. Look up squatty potty for an idea (you don't have to buy one, a plastic footstool works fine--or if you have access to a squat toilet all the better).