Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

You know, you would've thought the people on the Arc would have noticed the giant, continents swallowing radioactive storms prior to descending to Earth - or are we to believe that all of it happened conveniently in the few months these two past seasons span? After 100 years the spontaneous fake-science disaster ended up pretty much perfectly timed to align itself with the show's timeline? Amazing.

Honestly this seson's ending was hot garbage, the final stretch of episodes completely eliminated any chance for the audience of investing themselves into the story by inventing a stream of nonsense plot contrivances and discrepancies that served only to waste everybody's time.

Maybe she was being shown a vision of what's to come when they go critical? Maybe they are not that bad yet? I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

steinrokkan posted:

You know, you would've thought the people on the Arc would have noticed the giant, continents swallowing radioactive storms prior to descending to Earth - or are we to believe that all of it happened conveniently in the few months these two past seasons span? After 100 years the spontaneous fake-science disaster ended up pretty much perfectly timed to align itself with the show's timeline? Amazing.

Honestly this seson's ending was hot garbage, the final stretch of episodes completely eliminated any chance for the audience of investing themselves into the story by inventing a stream of nonsense plot contrivances and discrepancies that served only to waste everybody's time.

Pretty much. That or had satellites showing the sites were going critical, damaged, or whatever before they decided "hey lets shove these kids in a drop pod and see if they survive" was a good idea. The fact they doubled down and firmly canonized the timeline being only 6 months for 3 seasons means there's no way in hell ALIE is telling the truth. If she is then they hosed up horribly storytelling wise because pretty much everything stops making sense.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Zebulon posted:

Pretty much. That or had satellites showing the sites were going critical, damaged, or whatever before they decided "hey lets shove these kids in a drop pod and see if they survive" was a good idea. The fact they doubled down and firmly canonized the timeline being only 6 months for 3 seasons means there's no way in hell ALIE is telling the truth. If she is then they hosed up horribly storytelling wise because pretty much everything stops making sense.

I'm going to go with they hosed up story wise, and we should stop analyzing this show based on what makes sense.
For example, crashing a giant loving space station on the ground from orbit, doesn't make sense. nothing would have survived. At all.
If you're willing to suspend your disbelief for that, then everything is fair game past this point.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pretty sure ALIE was showing a prediction of what is going to happen.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It's been 6 months since they left the Ark I think. ALIE said the meltdowns started 4 months ago.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Astroman posted:

It's been 6 months since they left the Ark I think. ALIE said the meltdowns started 4 months ago.

Season 4 finale: "Good job stopping the radioactive winds with the artefact we introduced in the previous episode! Too bad a black hole opened up on the Moon yesterday!"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Astroman posted:

She didn't say the meltdowns started. She said the reactors started going critical. Big difference.

She said that according to her calculations, in 6 months 96% of the Earth's surface would be uninhabitable - and then she showed the radiation clouds. So it was set up as a vision of the future, not the present.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think it would've been cooler to see a crapload of commanders helping Clarke, not just Lexa.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lycus posted:

I think it would've been cooler to see a crapload of commanders helping Clarke, not just Lexa.

Yeah true, there was Lexa and Becca and... that was it.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

She didn't say the meltdowns started. She said the reactors started going critical. Big difference.

She said that according to her calculations, in 6 months 96% of the Earth's surface would be uninhabitable - and then she showed the radiation clouds. So it was set up as a vision of the future, not the present.

It's still really dumb. So all those nuclear reactors survived WW3, but now they're going critical all at the same time?

Nuclear reactors don't turn into giant bombs when there is a meltdown. The worst nuclear accident in history is Chernobyl, and life thrives in the Chernoby exclusion zone. I wouldn't suggest building a house there, but it's definitely survivable.

Hell, some modern nuclear reactors are actually designed with The Apocalypse in mind, and will automatically shut down within a week without human intervention.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So I take it S4 is gonna be about them traveling to the 4% survivable zone.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

thrakkorzog posted:

Nuclear reactors don't turn into giant bombs when there is a meltdown.

Nobody said they do. They're simply leaking radiation, or radioactive materials into the environment.

This show always plays fast and loose with nuclear power in general. Hell, the Earth was survivable for space-faring humans after merely ~97 years, if I'm remembering correctly. I'm honestly baffled that this is what folks are complaining about at this point.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If you didn't check out on this show over magic healing blood transfusions, you shouldn't be checking out over this.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lycus posted:

:agreed:

Seeing a line of them going from older, more civilized types to primitive tribals who died young with short reigns would have been a neat visual as well.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Spergatory posted:

If you didn't check out on this show over magic healing blood transfusions, you shouldn't be checking out over this.

This is true, but it also feels like this new threat requires a larger suspension of disbelief.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Honestly, I think this is way less egregious. Most people don't know jack poo poo about radiation or nuclear reactors, but I'm pretty sure they know a blood transfusion will not turn you from a pile of gore and burn scars into a walking, talking, clear-skinned human being in a matter of minutes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Somehow I forgot about that part. Yeah, you're right.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Listen, techno vampires and techno demonic possession I can tolerate, but the whole "nuclear meltdown as hellstorm" trope is actually one of those things that the media does that will probably seriously screw us over as a species.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
We should be using solar power anyway. :colbert:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

It's still really dumb. So all those nuclear reactors survived WW3, but now they're going critical all at the same time?

Nuclear reactors don't turn into giant bombs when there is a meltdown. The worst nuclear accident in history is Chernobyl, and life thrives in the Chernoby exclusion zone. I wouldn't suggest building a house there, but it's definitely survivable.

Hell, some modern nuclear reactors are actually designed with The Apocalypse in mind, and will automatically shut down within a week without human intervention.

Nice meltdown.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

I Own Soulz posted:

I get the bad feeling season 4 is going to be bad. Apart from nuclear power plants not turning into swirling infernos when they melt down, it seems like this is the point where original story has run out and now that the show has been such a hit they have to make up new stuff to extend it. I hope I'm wrong though.

Yea I like the plot arcs they have chosen so far but season 3 feels like the end of the original outline, hard to go bigger than what they have done unless they are really gonna unleash the gimmicks like time fuckery or space travel fuckery.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

If by 'original story' you mean the books, the show has had nothing to do with the books aside from the very basic introductory premise. The show and the book were being written at the same time, IIRC, and went their separate ways from the start.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Astroman posted:

:agreed:

Seeing a line of them going from older, more civilized types to primitive tribals who died young with short reigns would have been a neat visual as well.

When Clarke was weakening, I was sure a big mountain of a guy was going to appear and Lexa was gonna go "Don't worry, Clarke, that's Commander So-and-so." and he was going to carry her. Have an early commander do the technobabble instead of Lexa talking about uploading and stuff.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Did anyone notice the big continuity problem between the Season 2 finale and this season? The last scene of the Season 2 finale showed ALIE having recovered the nuclear warhead from the missile that Jaha rode down from the Arc. It was never mentioned this season.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

raditts posted:

This is true, but it also feels like this new threat requires a larger once more a suspension of disbelief.

ftfy

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I thought that was a warhead she had lying around after the ALIE-pocalypse, which Jaha then converted into a power source for the backpack. It was mentioned and dealt with in the first or second episode of the season.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

Did anyone notice the big continuity problem between the Season 2 finale and this season? The last scene of the Season 2 finale showed ALIE having recovered the nuclear warhead from the missile that Jaha rode down from the Arc. It was never mentioned this season.

It was made to look like she would use it to bomb something... Then she used the fissile material to fuel her mobile platform.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

hollylolly posted:

I thought that was a warhead she had lying around after the ALIE-pocalypse, which Jaha then converted into a power source for the backpack. It was mentioned and dealt with in the first or second episode of the season.

She thanked Jaha for his "gift," and then the camera showed the warhead. I don't think she had it lying around in storage.

The backpack makes sense though. I had forgotten about that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, she used the warhead to power the backpack. A few episodes back when Murphy, Pike, and Inara destroyed it they hesitated because Allie warned them it was nuclear. Allie's plan wasn't to blow people up (she already did that), it was to get mobile so she could go out and bring everyone into "the City of Light". Jaha's nuke let her do that. And ultimately we find out she did that because she saw it as the necessary move to save humanity since the reactors were melting down.

So it wasn't a loose thread or dropped story, it was just a curveball that went a different way than expected.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, she used the warhead to power the backpack. A few episodes back when Murphy, Pike, and Inara destroyed it they hesitated because Allie warned them it was nuclear. Allie's plan wasn't to blow people up (she already did that), it was to get mobile so she could go out and bring everyone into "the City of Light". Jaha's nuke let her do that. And ultimately we find out she did that because she saw it as the necessary move to save humanity since the reactors were melting down.

So it wasn't a loose thread or dropped story, it was just a curveball that went a different way than expected.

ALIE better be dead or else she is just up there in the Ark chilling with more nukes(or did Jaha ride the last one down to earth?).

She will nuke the remaining 4% of untainted surface to ensure a clean slate :twisted:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Spergatory posted:

We should be using solar power anyway. :colbert:

Hm, solar was what allowed ALIE to survive until jaha brought the nuke so maybe that's not such a good idea after all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoyed the scene of Clark, Bellamy, Octavia, and Jasper sitting around twiddling their dumbs waiting for their solar powered truck to charge up.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Welp, the nuclear plot is dumb and smells like uninformed fear mongering bullcrap. This in a time when we should be promoting nuclear power if anything.

Oh well, bring on season 4!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Batham posted:

Welp, the nuclear plot is dumb and smells like uninformed fear mongering bullcrap. This in a time when we should be promoting nuclear power if anything.

Oh well, bring on season 4!

NO NUKES R BAD.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Rhyno posted:

NO NUKES R BAD.

But, if it means we get super mutants... :orks101:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Something something Under the Dome something:

quote:

The 100 Writers Room Retweeted
Stephen King ‏@StephenKing May 20
The 100: And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you pull off one hell of a season finale: no pulled punches, all killer, no filler.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Batham posted:

But, if it means we get super mutants... :orks101:

I'm holding out hope for Planet of the Apes bad guys.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Astroman posted:

Something something Under the Dome something:

Now someone show him the s2 finale so his mind will explode

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

As a side note, the finale made me really hate Octavia. She was a total idiot who was willing to endanger the entire team for her personal agenda. It was extra infuriating because her entire growth arc since the beginning was going from selfish teenager to mature, badass warrior, and she completely regressed to her old self when she struck Pike when they were defending the window.

I hope they go in a different direction with her character next season, because grieving/angry Octavia is really overdone at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

It also doesn't help that Octavia gets her rear end kicked almost every fight she gets in. And it's usually not a even a close call, she loses by a landslide.

• Locked thread