Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, in the dominion war it's not like there were civvies aboard, and those two extra impulse engines and the big phaser array were probably handy enough to take into combat.

The other big reason is that the hull section is butt-ugly. Partly because they had to retroactively put it into the design after it was approved - Probert had a totally different separation scheme planned due to a misunderstanding where a part of the saucer would detach and fight.

Also separation interrupted the poo poo out of episode flow.

Anyway, you forgot the big instance of the saucer sep saving everyone - the D herself. Even if it did crash.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

MikeJF posted:

Well, in the dominion war it's not like there were civvies aboard, and those two extra impulse engines and the big phaser array were probably handy enough to take into combat.

The other big reason is that the hull section is butt-ugly. Partly because they had to retroactively put it into the design after it was approved - Probert had a totally different separation scheme planned due to a misunderstanding where a part of the saucer would detach and fight.

Also separation interrupted the poo poo out of episode flow.

Anyway, you forgot the big instance of the saucer sep saving everyone - the D herself. Even if it did crash.

Multi Vector Assault Mode was way cooler. Wish that console was better.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They should have just had starfleet ships transform and combine into not-Voltron with a giant lightning sword.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

wombat74 posted:

Any chance I can get wiki access from someone? In there as wombat74, just to be creative.

done

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

DancingShade posted:

They should have just had starfleet ships transform and combine into not-Voltron with a giant lightning sword.

Would 100% spend money on a ship that turned into a giant space robot.

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat

thank you

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Wizard of the Deep posted:

The best advice is still "Find a beam color you like, then go for CritD/DMG." As long as you're not a bumblefuck moron pubbie, you can steamroll anything in PvE with just about anything.

One would argue that whichever "beam type produces the best rainbow" would be a good metric. But this is still the best advice about weapons.

Rahhmi
Aug 18, 2015

GO WEEDJI!

[05/28/2016 12:40:42 AM] Pulse: don't stir up my
personal drama, please

note: the JJBridge is a hoax.

It's the model from Digital Extremes' StarTrek:TheGame (2013) based on the first movie. It features the same exact materials (evident in floor and consoles, obviously not a cryptic shader, the noise map is the same), model flaws (console geometry, unique quirks), and inaccurate scaling (captain's section is a bit wide, sensor area totally wrong). and obviously doesn't even use Cryptic's old/new rendering engine or even their default HDR settings.

The bridge consoles and choice of detail is also obviously more in line with the way Steve Sinclaire (Digital Extremes Art Director) does things as everything is Normal mapped to death and retopologized (see: ST:TG/Warframe). this suggests more time and a slightly higher budget. Also for that amount of assets and detail, Cryptic would likely have to hire more environment/prop artists.

Cryptic's new Environment Artist Donny Versiga has more of a "physical geometry" style to his work which will likely go in line with Cryptic's more recent offerings (voyager interior, Earth Spacedock) when it starts getting shown off and the new graphical effects will play into this much better.

Additionally, JPG Compression on the "Camera Path Editor" / "Transparent" checkbox text is identical between images (same overlay, different "renders"). Not that it matters at this point, but a few textures are also applied in the wrong places, and a few aren't using the in-engine "mirror" function correctly... likely due to a NinjaRipper extract.

If the original artist ever reads this, try porting 3dRipperDX STO characters in posed stances so that you can place them around the level for a more believable visual. If you keep them generic enough you can use something like Unreal Engine 4 to adjust the materials more easily and probably even fake the Cryptic Engine graphics on lower visual settings.

Rahhmi fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 20, 2016

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Don't give the pubs hope.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

MikeJF posted:

Maybe the D4 will force them to make a decent looking klanker bridge.
It looks something like this.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
When pubbies care too much about their forums, they go to identity theft:

https://twitter.com/THEKODANARMADA

http://massivelyop.com/2016/05/16/an-innocent-npc-may-allude-to-future-crossovers-for-star-trek-online/

loving lol.

Edit: I wonder who cares that much :iiam:

:ms:

Edit2: poo poo the rabbit hole is deep: https://www.reddit.com/user/XuriusSTO

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 20, 2016

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

fakemirage posted:

It looks something like this.

Gross, looks a lot better without the bloom.

I took those screenshots (except the ones with the Robot guy)

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 20, 2016

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

18 Character Limit posted:

When pubbies care too much about their forums, they go to identity theft:

https://twitter.com/THEKODANARMADA

http://massivelyop.com/2016/05/16/an-innocent-npc-may-allude-to-future-crossovers-for-star-trek-online/

loving lol.

Edit: I wonder who cares that much :iiam:

:ms:

Edit2: poo poo the rabbit hole is deep: https://www.reddit.com/user/XuriusSTO
That's a pretty nice Twitter header though.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
Hmm, save my EC for the next lockbox prize...or buy a bug ship to unlock the attack ship pets for the JHDC. Decisions, decisions...

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
So Gary Stark's friend Anthony@swat842012 finally found the video I posted of him yelling at me on mic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-gF4bPez4w

He originally posted a comment using his real name claiming he never played STO, but these TROLLS should ask permission before posting videos of other people. After about 20 minutes, he realized his mistake, deleted his comment, changed his name to "Anonymous Person", and posted this:

Anonymous Person posted:

you guys need to really stop encouraging people like this because of people like this is the reason why I quit playing MMO games so you know what grow a pair of balls stand up for yourselves and don't let this person that posted this video of someone else because that's just childish

Edit: Left his picture, though!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

"Anonymous Person1 minute ago
see what i mean he is accusing that me in his video wow really you have to set someone up like that if it make you fell like a man then go ahead say its me an i dont play what ever game that is"

e: i don't understand why he's pretending it's not him?? (also lol because nowhere in the video does it accuse the random internet stranger that it is him)

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 21, 2016

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Acer Pilot posted:

"Anonymous Person1 minute ago
see what i mean he is accusing that me in his video wow really you have to set someone up like that if it make you fell like a man then go ahead say its me an i dont play what ever game that is"

e: i don't understand why he's pretending it's not him?? (also lol because nowhere in the video does it accuse the random internet stranger that it is him)

I responded to his comment with something basically saying "this is the guy yelling at me on mic lol". He deleted my comment, but decided to reply to it anyway, so that comment is floating around with zero context.

Edit: I posted a screencap of his Google + account before he changed the name to ANONYMOUS PERSON, and he's still posting on the youtube page:

"really your going to open a account with my name you do know that is against the law to do so im going to ask you nicely to take my info off that site before i report you"

and

"what game are you talking bout i dont play no online games you got me mix up with someone eles i was just looking on Youtube an can across this video"

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 21, 2016

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I accidentally left a comment with my real name too.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
"Why did you make a fake account with my real name?! I'll report you."

"I've never met you before or played this game. Who is the guy in the vid?"

What an idiot.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Buschmaki posted:

"Why did you make a fake account with my real name?! I'll report you."

"I've never met you before or played this game. Who is the guy in the vid?"

What an idiot.

This guy also posted in the NoP channel for years thinking it meant "Non-Organizational Profit", so yeah.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Buschmaki posted:

What an idiot.

Correct! :eng101:

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

DonDoodles posted:

I responded to his comment with something basically saying "this is the guy yelling at me on mic lol". He deleted my comment, but decided to reply to it anyway, so that comment is floating around with zero context.

Edit: I posted a screencap of his Google + account before he changed the name to ANONYMOUS PERSON, and he's still posting on the youtube page:

"really your going to open a account with my name you do know that is against the law to do so im going to ask you nicely to take my info off that site before i report you"

and

"what game are you talking bout i dont play no online games you got me mix up with someone eles i was just looking on Youtube an can across this video"
His Google+ page still links to his twitter account, which is the same as his ingame handle.:doh:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That profile picture is pretty much what you would expect really isn't it?

:allears:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Having just ground through the last couple of the Delta Quadrant missions, I have to ask: who the Hell thought it was a good idea to make a knockdown-focused miniboss in this janky-rear end combat engine?

Roadie fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 21, 2016

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

So Borticus made a nice long post on reddit about some of the optimizations they're doing...

quote:

For example, Attack Pattern Alpha increases "All Damage." Even if the player that uses APA on themself never does any damage other than Phaser, there are still 16 separate modifiers applied to them which enhance all of their other damage sources, whether they are used or not. And as a more extreme example, the Pilot Starship Trait "Pedal To The Metal," which previously stacked up to 20 times, was actually applying 20x16=320 AttribMods when fully stacked.

quote:

As some of our more savvy players are no doubt already aware, Armor Penetration is effectively an instant Damage Resistance Rating reduction, applied to the target of your damage at the moment that damage is applied. For each source of Armor Penetration, this meant another negative-aspect Resistance modifier applied to the target, per source of damage. Imagine the number of 'damage floaters' flying above the ship you are firing on at any point in time... and now imagine an additional AttribMod being applied for each and every one, which is handling your Armor Penetration calculations.

That's a lot of AttribMods. But it doesn't stop there... Armor Pen's negative-aspect Resistance modifier is actually using the "All Damage" Attribute Set, previously mentioned. So it's not one Attrib, but 16.
It's a miracle this game actually runs at all, isn't it? :munch:

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
I wonder if the code for damage modifiers is a giant list of if else statements.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dootman posted:

I wonder if the code for damage modifiers is a giant list of if else statements.

This is actually exactly how I would imagine it.

Written in BASIC of course.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

So Borticus made a nice long post on reddit about some of the optimizations they're doing...

Also, when they finally fix things there's going to be a subtle nerf to team damage. Because of the really dumb way they currently handle PEN, if your PEN shot lands at the same time that a teammate's non-PEN shot hits, your teammate's shot also gets the benefits of PEN. Because making a modifier apply to just one person was too hard.

And they evidently took forever to find the issue because the devs can't figure out how to copy a few high-dps builds from the internet and turn on a spacebar macro.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Yeah, I was amused by that part of Bort's explanation. "Hurrr there isn't a problem because we can't crack 10k dps either."

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Asimo posted:

ah so that is why my game sometimes totally starts to collapse during CCA

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I've seen their code.

I know I couldn't code paper towels to soak up water.

Still know I could do better than they could.

"You don't know our code we still use references in other places." I still want to work at a place where you can be head developer and still can just hard code poo poo because that means you're god of your domain and can do whatever the gently caress you want and still keep your job.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Morglon posted:

I've seen their code.

I know I couldn't code paper towels to soak up water.

Still know I could do better than they could.

"You don't know our code we still use references in other places." I still want to work at a place where you can be head developer and still can just hard code poo poo because that means you're god of your domain and can do whatever the gently caress you want and still keep your job.

i have doubts the original coders are still around, for one reason or another

sto's launch and development cycle was um er not good

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

i have doubts the original coders are still around, for one reason or another

Hell, the 'original' coders were basically hacking on champions online code that they probably didn't entirely understand at the time in a desperate rush to get something working, there's certainly plenty of nonsensical crud in there that goes back far beyond STO.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cryptic is the most aptly named game development studio.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

MikeJF posted:

Hell, the 'original' coders were basically hacking on champions online code that they probably didn't entirely understand at the time in a desperate rush to get something working, there's certainly plenty of nonsensical crud in there that goes back far beyond STO.

If I remember correctly there was a HUGE bonus from Atari contingent on getting STO out the door on its announced launch date. That game badly needed another 6-12 months of dev time at launch but they needed the bonus to keep the lights on

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

IIRC It was CBS that requested them to have it out at the original deadline of Perpetual's STO.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Yeah I think that was it. Also Perpetual had done very little beyond making some visual 1st person ship interior assets, which is why the scale on all the old Bridge models is super hosed up, because they were meant for a first person view

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/LaughingTrendy/status/734508416144662533

This game does not deserve a community manager as rad as Trendy.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Yeah I think that was it. Also Perpetual had done very little beyond making some visual 1st person ship interior assets, which is why the scale on all the old Bridge models is super hosed up, because they were meant for a first person view

Cryptic used some of their designs though, especially in really early material, and some in the final game

IIRC, cryptic was given all of perpetuals assets, except for their engine.

You can see one of Perpetuals other designs, the "Excalibur" in the opening cut scene for 'Surface Tension' it also appears as generic ship debris in some missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

SKY COQ posted:

https://twitter.com/LaughingTrendy/status/734508416144662533

This game does not deserve a community manager as rad as Trendy.

DId anyone see the thread? I wonder who it was.

binkley has rereged and been banned on there like 4 times now or something, his stuff is usually pretty easy to tell its him. it seems like his MO

the 'non organizational profit' lunatic/moron guy also seems to have a pretty distinct voice too

• Locked thread