Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
In my desperation for a good read I snagged Courage and Honor the 5th Ultramarine book hoping it is an improvement over the last. Additionally, snagged audiobooks of Baru the Traitor and The People's History of the US as backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Skarsnik posted:

You can pick up a perfectly serviceable early gen kindle on eBay for nothing these days, they really are rather good once you give them a chance

The keyboard kindles are actually pretty nice - good memory, decent enough screen for reading during the day and they have the ability to play audiobooks, something the new kindles lack.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Finally started to read Ravenor after a long break between Eisenhorn. Abnett is such a breath of fresh air after reading Andy Hoare's Hunt for Voldorius. I think Hoare just thinks his audience is dumb and forgets the name of the character that you've been reading about for the past chapter, so he has to remind the reader than they are doing actions and that pronouns are from chaos. Also recently slogged my way through Siege of Castellax, but thankfully I never have to do that again. Though I have Storm of Iron, I for some reason chose Siege before it, probably because I had some Space Marine Battle books to finish up anyways.

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014
I can vouch for reading on the Kindle... Pretty sweet device, and the screen works perfectly both when it's pitch black or sunny outside.

Only thing is that I haven't learned every function yet as how to make certain bookmarks etc. would be nice to be able to quickly going to the "dramatis personae".

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Even my mum has a kindle now, they're proper good

If you're put off by the experience of reading from a tablet or phone screen don't be, the e-ink really is like paper

The best bit is the battery life and durability, you can sling it in your bag and forget about it just like an actual book

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

UberJumper posted:

[ADB wanted] to make a book about Octavia and Septimus about them trying fit themselves into imperial society, but BL said no.
I know that post is almost two years old, but I just happened across it and…ugh. Why can't we have something like that instead of the umpteenth (limited [collector's] edition) Space Marine novel(la) (audiobook). t:mad:

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

GannerOne posted:

...quickly going to the "dramatis personae".

Honest to god, every time I see that my brain interprets it as a fancy Latin-ization of "Dramatic people"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Abyss posted:

Finally started to read Ravenor after a long break between Eisenhorn. Abnett is such a breath of fresh air after reading Andy Hoare's Hunt for Voldorius. I think Hoare just thinks his audience is dumb and forgets the name of the character that you've been reading about for the past chapter, so he has to remind the reader than they are doing actions and that pronouns are from chaos. Also recently slogged my way through Siege of Castellax, but thankfully I never have to do that again. Though I have Storm of Iron, I for some reason chose Siege before it, probably because I had some Space Marine Battle books to finish up anyways.

Storm of Iron is awesome and stupid and one if the best earlier BL novels. I'm amazed you got through Castellax though; I somehow got 100 pages again before I put it down and tossed it. That book's dreadful.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
The Chaos Marine saying, "Ow" almost made me throw it out, and that was 60 pages in.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

One Legged Cat posted:

Honest to god, every time I see that my brain interprets it as a fancy Latin-ization of "Dramatic people"

.....thats not what it means

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Abyss posted:

The Chaos Marine saying, "Ow" almost made me throw it out, and that was 60 pages in.

Was it serious? McNeil has written some of his Iron Warriors as having a droll sense of humor.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

MMAgCh posted:

I know that post is almost two years old, but I just happened across it and…ugh. Why can't we have something like that instead of the umpteenth (limited [collector's] edition) Space Marine novel(la) (audiobook). t:mad:

Wait, this could have been a thing. Damnit Black Library

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Waroduce posted:

.....thats not what it means

Oh, I know. I just smile every time I open up a book to see the list of dramatic people in the story, so this is the reality I choose to live in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
About halfway through Ahriman Exile, Its not the best writing of all time or anything but I don't expect that when its black library; (that isn't Abnett or maybe McNeil) its delivering on what I wanted, chaos sorcerers entering Faustian bargains and doing all kinds of powerful magic fireworks.

Thanks to Berzerkmonkey for lending me his copy since Amazon is out of it, already ordered the 2nd and 3rd books since those were in stock at normal price along with the next Horus Heresy books I haven't read yet.

Are there any good BL books about the Adeptus Mechanicus? Bonus points for any mention of Skitarii, but I doubt that much exists.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

Hell Gem

Zaphod42 posted:

Are there any good BL books about the Adeptus Mechanicus? Bonus points for any mention of Skitarii, but I doubt that much exists.

There's the Priests/Lords/Gods of Mars trilogy by Graham McNeill, which is very good. Read those for sure.

McNeill also did a sort of stand alone Horus Heresy novel about the AdMech called Mechanicum, which is pretty good.

As far as Skitarii go, there is one book I know of that focuses exclusively on them - Skitarius by Rob Sanders. Don't read it, it's terrible, and I'm usually a big fan of whatever Sanders writes for BL.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Wax Dynasty posted:

There's the Priests/Lords/Gods of Mars trilogy by Graham McNeill, which is very good. Read those for sure.

McNeill also did a sort of stand alone Horus Heresy novel about the AdMech called Mechanicum, which is pretty good.

As far as Skitarii go, there is one book I know of that focuses exclusively on them - Skitarius by Rob Sanders. Don't read it, it's terrible, and I'm usually a big fan of whatever Sanders writes for BL.

Titanicus?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

One Legged Cat posted:

Oh, I know. I just smile every time I open up a book to see the list of dramatic people in the story, so this is the reality I choose to live in.

No no thats what i thought it meant. ....

My life is a lie

Wtf does it mean than

Adeptus
May 1, 2009

Waroduce posted:

No no thats what i thought it meant. ....

My life is a lie

Wtf does it mean than

It's more like 'people in the drama'. Basically the same root words, so 'dramatic people' isn't that far off really.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Zaphod42 posted:

Titanicus has lots of Skitarii action, but Abnett writes his Skitarii very differently than some. Instead of being essentially Guardsmen with a higher prevalence of augmetics, as they're described in some sources, his are very heavily augmented, to the point of barely being recognizable as human any more. Their personalities and thought processes have also been altered by the process.

I think both ways are good and valid depictions of Skitarii, for the record, and 40K is big enough for both. It's easy to take in stride that the Skitarii attached to Legio Whatever are markedly different than the ones attached to Explorator Fleet Etc.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Just based off their description in their codex, they are definitely a big difference from normal guardsmen.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, Skitarii are definitely less chromed up guardsmen and more Robocop re-make Murphy meets ISIS meets mall Santa. Some of the descriptions in Codex: Skitarii are a bit naff (the perpetually moving striders) but the happy-clappy body horror infantry are cool.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, Skitarii are definitely less chromed up guardsmen and more Robocop re-make Murphy meets ISIS meets mall Santa. Some of the descriptions in Codex: Skitarii are a bit naff (the perpetually moving striders) but the happy-clappy body horror infantry are cool.

I like your red text what's the story

I liked priests of Mars series a lot way better than I thought

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Bickering in the 40k thread. I may be misremembering but I think it was about GW pricing in Australia. I was being contrary and pointing out that it costs money to make something in the UK or US and then sail it to the other side of the planet. They were being Australian and stole my avatar.

Like I say, I could be wrong. I've had so many avatars bought for me over the years. This one has the distinction of being the least imaginative.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Wax Dynasty posted:

What good stuff has Sanders written? The Honoured was his and pretty awful.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

Hell Gem

SRM posted:

What good stuff has Sanders written? The Honoured was his and pretty awful.

I have to admit, his more recent BL stuff has gotten worse. I'm reading Predator, Prey right now and it's also pretty dire. However, Atlas Infernal is the best Inquisitor novel outside of Abnett's books. Legion of the Damned and Redemption Corps are also really good.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

Wax Dynasty posted:

I have to admit, his more recent BL stuff has gotten worse. I'm reading Predator, Prey right now and it's also pretty dire. However, Atlas Infernal is the best Inquisitor novel outside of Abnett's books. Legion of the Damned and Redemption Corps are also really good.

Atlas Infernal was fantastic and I have otherwise been pretty disappointing.

Wait, I did like Legion of the Damned also.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Agentdark posted:

Atlas Infernal was fantastic and I have otherwise been pretty disappointing.

Could have used a lot less fething about with his DIY Imperial Fists chapter, though.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Uroboros posted:

Just based off their description in their codex, they are definitely a big difference from normal guardsmen.

Right, but their codex was written long after Titanicus. Some of the older fluff (like the depictions of Skitarii in at least one of the Ciaphas Cain books) has them being much less altered from the baseline human form.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Agentdark posted:

How?

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Seriously, McNeil is probably the best Mechanicus writer in the BL library. His work can get kinda iffy when he writes about other things, but the Priests/Lords/Gods of Mars trilogy and Mechanicum are by far the most detailed and well-written books about them. I think he's more of a tech-minded sci-fi writer, which means that while he writes awesome Mechanicum stuff, he doesn't often have as many interesting ideas to write about when it comes to Astartes, Chaos and other more fantasy-ish elements of the setting.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I liked legion

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Waroduce posted:

I liked legion

Cause Abnett wrote it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Of the damned

I liked how the marines were like no bitches the church cant have men under arms gently caress yall

And i liked the crqzy ghost marines

And it wasnt great but it wasnt bad

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Agreed. Atlas Infernal was ok, but I haven't really liked anything Rob Sanders has done.

Zaphod42 posted:

Thanks to Berzerkmonkey for lending me his copy since Amazon is out of it, already ordered the 2nd and 3rd books since those were in stock at normal price along with the next Horus Heresy books I haven't read yet.

You're welcome. :)

N'thing the Priests of Mars trilogy - it is really good. McNeill is actually pretty decent when he's writing Iron Warriors or Ad Mech. As a side note, he's done some novels for Arkham Horror/Call of Cthulhu, which I hope to someday read - the reviews aren't great, but I think a lot of those guys view Lovecraft as high art.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What do yall think of the dresden files

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Waroduce posted:

I listened to them as audiobooks. They're alright - the writing has certainly improved from the beginning, though the tone of the stories has changed. It started off as "magic noir gumshoe detective" and has morphed into "angst-ridden savior and humanity's last hope." I kind of preferred the gumshoe take on things, myself.

Related note: In one of the early books (book 2, I think) the narrator, James Marsters, loses his place or something and at some point, he screws up and says "...the grip on the back of my neck relaxed. Oh... it's on the back of the neck... gently caress..." and it wasn't edited out for some reason. The professionalism of the recordings has improved somewhat.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I read the first book and it was terrible. The first 50 pages is excruciating as this goonlord talks about his trenchcoat, the old fashioned way he treats women, and to top it off he makes a love potion. The rest gets a little better but it was a slog to finish.

Apparently it gets way better though. I loved Malazan and that has a bad first book so YMMV.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

Hell Gem

ed balls balls man posted:

I read the first book and it was terrible. The first 50 pages is excruciating as this goonlord talks about his trenchcoat, the old fashioned way he treats women, and to top it off he makes a love potion. The rest gets a little better but it was a slog to finish.

Apparently it gets way better though. I loved Malazan and that has a bad first book so YMMV.

Common consensus in the Dresden Files thread is that you need to slog through the first two books before it really gets good. If you do and still don't like the third book, just stop because it sets the tone and narrative for many of the remaining books. If you like competent urban fantasy, then there's not much else out there that's better.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Waroduce posted:

I don't read nerd stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ed balls balls man posted:

The story here is that Butcher wrote the first book in a creative writing class. He was tired of telling the teacher that her advice was horrible, so he wrote a book following all of her advice, with the expectation that it would be awful and she would eat her words. Instead, she said "This is publishable."