Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ChairMaster posted:

Only if it's a vital organ, they killed that finger monster and the kid didn't die.

True, meant to specify that.

Brought To You By posted:

Widdershins: That bit of logic from Ms. Acedia actually broke my brain. Is getting fed to a manifestation of a deadly sin not the horrific thing I imagined and instead good? And she did just spend 30+ years arranging for this to happen all so she could get some sleep. I'm so confused

It feels like there's way more to Acedia and her story than meets the eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brought To You By posted:

Widdershins: That bit of logic from Ms. Acedia actually broke my brain. Is getting fed to a manifestation of a deadly sin not the horrific thing I imagined and instead good? And she did just spend 30+ years arranging for this to happen all so she could get some sleep. I'm so confused

She just doesn't see it this way. "So you say..." She doesn't agree with this interpretation of previous events. "What he offered me, though..." She's got a different version of the story, one that appeals to her and that she prefers believing. We don't really know the details of what happens to the mind/soul of someone possessed by a spirit; what Acedia knows (or thinks she knows, at the least) doesn't make her afraid of it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Well, all the betrayal went down while everyone was asleep, right? He slipped them all mickeys, then after they were out drew the circles, summoned the sins, and got curbstomped by the Barbers. Acedia is shown as waking up right as he leaves. For all she knows, they were the ones who poisoned the drinks, hosed over Luxuria, then made up a half-baked story to cover. Yeah, being a true believer makes it easier to doubt their story, but she's not necessarily blinding herself to the facts. The fact is, the only people who can corroborate the Barbers' story are the Barbers themselves.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's the decades of prep work that are baffling me. We don't know her life before Mr. Luxario showed up but all of the other vessels were people who were desperate and in one case at death's door before getting rescued if memory serves. Plus immediately after waking up all of them split and it would b hard to not realize that their mutual benefactor is missing. She's definitely very zealous about not wanting to work, she wouldn't be a good sacrifice for sloth is she didn't give herself completely over to that mentality, and she's not the first time in fiction I've seen a slothful character exert the most effort to complete something. It's just usually the case when they do that someone is twisting their arms to do it which doesn't seem to be the case here.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

perhaps she is no longer full of sloth, but wrath

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

AriadneThread posted:

Ohhh shiiiiiiit. :psyboom:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

"Interrupt my naptime will you?!" :argh:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Hell hath no fury like a woman woken up before she's ready.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hey, does this work for anyone? I can't load the images on old pages of Table Titans. If I try to access directly an image, e.g., I just get some XML error code telling me "All access to this object has been disabled"; which makes catching up kinda hard.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Widdershins, in re "decades of prep work": it seems like mostly she just waited until circumstances aligned just right and then showed up at the Barber's doorstep. If she weren't so slothful she could have deliberately sought out another witch to come to Widdershins way before now.

Hell, if the Ghostbusters hadn't screwed up Envy's attempt to summon Wrath, she wouldn't have had to do anything. Unless it's about to be revealed she was secretly behind everything, which would be a twist, but even then all she really would've had to do is whisper a few words in people's ears--"you want power and money? you could get that easily by summoning Sloth and using it to sabotage wizards," "you want your hotel's feast to be a success? better make sure the guests are hungry," etc. and then sit back and reap the rewards of everyone else's labor.

AriadneThread posted:

This owns and is my new theory.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Wonderella makes me laugh sometimes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think it was around panel 9 when I wanted to run outside and start screaming into the sky.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
would you say it left you feeling salty?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That's an rear end salt of bad puns.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nuns with Guns posted:

Wonderella makes me laugh sometimes

agreed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And I just got Detective Hammond Egg.

This is felony-level punning.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Trying to get through my backlog of webcomics to read, just finished Poppy O'Possum (it's very good). Next on my list are Monster Pulse, Demon Street, and Helvetica. Anyone else have any suggestions

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

majormonotone posted:

Trying to get through my backlog of webcomics to read, just finished Poppy O'Possum (it's very good). Next on my list are Monster Pulse, Demon Street, and Helvetica. Anyone else have any suggestions

Try reading all of Phil Likes Tacos

From the start

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

majormonotone posted:

Phoenix Flair.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Burkion posted:

From the start

Eh, I've done worse

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

fritz posted:

Phoenix Flair.

seconded, read phoenix flair

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Burkion posted:

From the start
Holy poo poo, the last comic was uploaded a month ago? How is this mess still going?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

yeah okay

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

majormonotone posted:

Homestuck.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Carrasco posted:

Homestuck.

I tried to read Homestuck like five years ago. I got to Act 4 or 5 and got so bored. It's a shame because early on it seemed pretty cool

Anyway I read all of Phoenix Flair, it was fine. Not much to it yet though

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

majormonotone posted:

I tried to read Homestuck like five years ago. I got to Act 4 or 5 and got so bored. It's a shame because early on it seemed pretty cool

completely reasonable. however, you are required to read sbahj if you haven't.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

completely reasonable. however, you are required to read sbahj if you haven't.

I own one of the original limited-edition hardcover copies of SBAHJ fucker

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Elysiume posted:

Holy poo poo, the last comic was uploaded a month ago? How is this mess still going?

I don't mind a world with Phil Likes Tacos in it.

It's basically the only humor comic started in the early 2000s that didn't devolve into SERIOUS STORY TELLING bullshit or collapse under its own titanic weight.

Phil Likes Tacos will out live me and I'm okay with that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, I stand corrected. Lulenski, you slimy bitch.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

gently caress me, are you serious? What the hell, Lulenski? I know her thought process is probably something like "If this works, we can revert the team as well as the kids, save roger, everyone wins!" But if it doesn't loving work you've just doomed four more kids you rear end! :argh:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's a money-pit situation. If they can recover the kids and monsters, she hopes they can fix everything. So any new monsters she creates can also be fixed.

Although, honestly, if you've reached this point, it might be more efficient to feed all your staff into the monster-making machine until you get another monster or two with energy-generation and healing powers, rather than sending a bunch of kids after other kids.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've only read bits and pieces of monster pulse but I've seen nothing to convince me that shell aren't basically team rocket.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They're more like Umbrella Labs. They're engaging in these risky and probably illegal experiments all for the promise of theoretical military applications that hardly matter because nobody's buying.

Surprising they didn't fold sooner, really.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I remembered that I've been putting off reading Lackadaisy for like eight years so I read it. It's good.

Webcomics...are good

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I've only read bits and pieces of monster pulse but I've seen nothing to convince me that shell aren't basically team rocket.

I was calling the enemy team from last chapter "Team Rocket" but only one of them got the blasted away treatment, and it wasn't even really a blast so much as carried away into the distance while unconscious. The others got tricked or talked into walking away, or knocked out.

Shell is more like the Professors; they gave the kids their monsters, and basically understand nothing about the things they've been studying for decades.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Wait, but isn't the new team enough proof that they can create stable weaponized prototypes? Like heck, even if they called Red up and was like "hey we're not paying for your apartment unless you come in and do some spooky blood tricks for our boss" would be enough to prove that the problem isn't viability, it's containment.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
she played powerless, they don't know anything about her capacities

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
You know, I hope their attempt to bring Roger back flops spectacularly now. Just because in hindsight, Roger seems to be the least awful person working for Shell (aside from Ned and Wilbur) and is too good a person to be associated with these jackasses. I was right the first time; Lulenski and Rjinder really do loving deserve each other.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

What I don't get is why Rjinder's skin wants the Chakra program to succeed. It's the mastermind behind Rjinder, he's said before that he's completely at its mercy, and it seems to be the one pushing Lulinski forward as well. (Without her knowledge) But why? Surely it doesn't want to be reintegrated with Rjinder, that would erase its mind and revert it back into normal skin. Does it just want to get rid of all the other monsters? I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think it's been left kind of ambiguous just how much influence Rjinder's monster has on him. He could just be a nutter projecting his more unsavory urges onto his skin.

Sins of the flesh, if you will.

• Locked thread