Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Marchegiana posted:

I'm also in the parent of older kids group, my two daughters are 13 and 10. I had to teach my oldest how to use tampons the other day, that was fun.

Oh god. Mine still uses pads and REFUSES to talk to me about tampons, even though I think they would be much better for her sports and activity level.

I should probably try to bring it up again, or have her (bio) grandma take a shot at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What got me to use tampons for the first time was being on vacation and wanting to go swimming.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

VorpalBunny posted:

My 2-year old apparently has caught hand/foot/mouth disease. Our basic googling reveals there is nothing really to be done, try to wash our hands and keep him from infecting others in the household (hahahaha! I expect we will all have it by the middle of next week) and it's basically just being uncomfortable for a few days with small blisters. Obviously, if he develops breathing problems or other abnormal symptoms we go to urgent care or the ped. Any advice otherwise, or anecdotes about this wonderful little surprise?

We just got over HFMD a few weeks ago. It's pretty harmless, but makes the person uncomfortable like you said.

Our daughter's entire daycare class (2 year olds) got it since it's so contagious. The biggest issue to watch out for is dehydration. The sores in their mouth can make it painful to eat or drink so they'll just refuse or let it dribble out of their mouths and they'll get dehydrated. Some of the kids in our class had to go to the ER for a quick 24 hours of IV fluids.

Nora was totally fine with it for the most part... exceeeeppppttt she got most of the sores in her diaper area (like 3 or 4 in her mouth and a total of 1 on hands and 1 on her feet). She ended up get a terrible community-MRSA infection from, as the doc put it, just lovely luck of it getting in through one of her HFMD sores. That led to two weeks off of work and hospital stays to get everything drained. I regaled this thread with all of the melodrama.

But that's pretty uncommon... usually just the dehydration is something that can be common. Either way make sure you keep everything as clean as you can. And, like someone else said, you most likely had this as a kid and won't get it this time.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
So, my almost three-year old has been a very agreeable two-year old (apart from being the crappiest sleeper in the history of crappy sleepers), but she has made a big show of entering the terrible threes - with a twist! Instead of angry tantrums, she turns into a combination of a puppy, a pretend baby and, basically, a giant ham. Her language skills are amazing, so we're very spoilt in that we're used to being able to communicate very easily with her, but then she'll start babbling and burbling in a pretend baby-voice, she'll swipe at stuff and try to hit us, but not aggressively, just in a sort off "teeheehee, look at me!"-fashion, she'll flop about on the floor, all the while grinning cheerfully, et cetera. Sometimes she has fits of anger as well, and they're way easier to deal with, but I'm at a loss for how to approach the other stuff. We do a lot of "I can't understand you when you talk like that, talk properly, please", which works when she wants something specific, but when she just doesn't want to do something, she'll just keep at it.

The biggest problem for me is that it drives me absolutely mad with annoyance, so I have a harder time keeping my cool during the herp-derp-tantrums than when she's just plain angry. I know how bright and clever she is, so when she pretends to not understand us or be able to do the simplest of tasks, its so much more frustrating to deal with than when she's still bright and clever, only pissed off about something. I'm sure she notices that she's getting to me, which obviously makes hamming it up more attractive as a strategy for her. Does anyone have any tips on how to approach this?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Just ignore it?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

VorpalBunny posted:

My 2-year old apparently has caught hand/foot/mouth disease. Our basic googling reveals there is nothing really to be done, try to wash our hands and keep him from infecting others in the household (hahahaha! I expect we will all have it by the middle of next week) and it's basically just being uncomfortable for a few days with small blisters. Obviously, if he develops breathing problems or other abnormal symptoms we go to urgent care or the ped. Any advice otherwise, or anecdotes about this wonderful little surprise?

Try not to catch it yourself! When my oldest got it, I ended up with it too, and it was the worst. Everything tasted like ashes for like two days, and I ended up with blisters all over the soles of my feet for a week, making walking very uncomfortable. Our middle kid had it for a couple of weeks as well, but nobody else picked it up then. Luckily I wasn't working then so I could watch him, because daycare wouldn't take him as long as he had a visible spot.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My kindergartener (age 6.5) does after school care (at school) two days a week. The child care really sucks. The same agency is holding a "summer camp" this summer and they've really sold it to the kids (I suppose because they get laid off if they don't get enough kids for summer camp). She is dying to go to summer camp. It's not happening. I told her we were going to have "Camp Dad" this summer and it would be better than their camp. She's all stoked about Camp Dad. Now I have to come up with some ideas.

I figured we'd do some extravagant clay stuff one day. There are a couple of day-long road trips around here, that'll fill a few days. Day at the beach. Last summer we built a kid-sized car wash (henceforth dubbed the kid-wash) out of PVC pipe and drip sprinkler heads - I figure that (and some more pvc pipe with different stuff) will kill a day. We will go camping for a day or three. And it's not like every day has to be full - I'm sure that we will bake a cake or make cookies or just cool our heels around the house some.

I'm looking for other ideas. Winning ideas would be stuff that could be bought, made, and done with in a day (short attention span theatre). Extra points for things I don't have to warehouse when I'm done (like the kid wash).

Any thoughts?

kirsty
Apr 24, 2007
Too lazy and too broke

Mocking Bird posted:

Is anyone here parenting older kids? I have a 16 year old foster daughter who I am struggling with sometimes but I don't want to derail baby/toddler/young kid chat.

My oldest is almost five, but I would love to hear more from parents of older kids. All my friends have kids around the same age, which is great, but I really wish I knew some people with older kids so I'd have some idea of what's ahead.

For example, we had dinner recently with a couple who are about to have their first baby. They were talking about all the things that weren't going to change (like, "I won't let my kids drop crumbs in the car" and "I don't think it'll become a battle, you just distract them with a toy") and all the parents in the group were just cracking up with smug just-you-wait grins. But it made me think that parents of 14 year olds would probably have exactly the same look if they heard me complaining about how stubborn and opinionated my 4 year old was being.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I feel like I've stopped asking parenting questions with regard to my 8 and 11 year old, because they have stopped being aliens, and have started loving up in ways I remember from my own youth. It is intensely frustrating to watch them be stupid in familiar manners, and heartbreaking that they are unlikely to learn how not to be goddamn idiots any faster than I did (so, we're cautiously optimistic for age 25 or so). But it isn't mysterious.

Perhaps they'll turn back into aliens with puberty, but I suspect that too will be all too familiar.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
That makes sense. I think I'm struggling because 16 y/o and I have only known each other since August, and she's only been living with me since the end of January.

We are very close, but just starting to exit the honeymoon phase. It's amazing the number of small irritating things one individual can do in a single day :rolleyes: She threw away all my forks because she was too lazy to wash them. She lost an expensive TI calculator a friend of mine bought her for math class. She destroyed half the clothing she owns with abuse and harsh dryer cycles. Uggggghhhh

At the same time she is smart, and sweet, and evilly sarcastic and we get along like matches and fire crackers, so I guess we will figure it out.

Plus apparently we now say "I love you" when I come in to say goodnight :kimchi:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Boys took their first dip in the sea last night, drat too quick, ran right out with their shoes on... It's may in Finland, not long ago there was ice...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Speaking of dips in the sea I'm so looking forward to mine's first time in a real body of water this summer. He loves water, he already pretend-swims in the tub and likes going underwater, and I have a feeling he's going to take to it pretty quick. Anyone have any advice on teaching a year and half year old to swim? I mean, if he just wants to wade this year that's fine too, but I figure I should be prepared to do more if he wants to go deeper (and he always seems to want to do more than he's capable of so I wouldn't be surprised if he does, so although I have zero confidence he actually will be swimming in a non-drowning manner this year, I'd like to do everything I can to hurry the process along for next year)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 23, 2016

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
A kid that young is not going to be anywhere close to ready to learn to swim properly. I've been taking all of mine to swimming classes since they were between 3 and 8 months old (depending on when the first local classes started after they'd reached minimum age) and as of yet only #1 son (age 7 and a half) can swim properly. #2 son (age 4 and a half) is very close (a few of his peers are actually swimming now, most aren't). That is with more or less weekly classes throughout the spring/fall/winter, and extended summer holidays with daily pool access.

For a toddler, the main things to work on are 1) familiarization with being in the water (including stuff like "don't inhale the water"), and 2) basic elements of self-rescue (hanging on to stuff, climbing out of the water, etc.), and 3) concepts such as "kicking in the water means forward propulsion". Some kids of toddler-age may still retain the dive reflex where they automatically hold their breath if submerged, but don't count on it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh yeah, like I said, I have zero confidence in him actually learning to swim this summer, I doubt he has the level of coordination he needs for that, I just figure it's a good time to start teaching him and helping him work his way up to that level. I do suspect he'll be an early swimmer just because he's been early on everything physical, but I definitely don't think it will happen this year.

pjhalifax
May 29, 2004

love boat captain
My son’s almost two and I’ve just focused on making sure he feels safe in the water and has fun (my dad successfully scared me with the “just throw them in!” philosophy when I was little so I’m trying to do the opposite of that). My son likes being dunked so I do that to get him used to being under water, and I started taking him around the pool doing kicking exercises. Basically, we stop when he stops kicking and go when he starts kicking…haven’t been to lessons or anything but I figured that would get him thinking about kicking-as-propulsion.

At the beach it’s more about containment. I take him out into the waves, which he likes, but there are so many other distractions that there’s not much in the way of lessons aside from water not being scary. I spend more time making sure he doesn’t eat too much sand.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I am the paranoid mommy who puts her kids in flotation devices in big open bodies of water. My friends all looked at me like I was nuts, my kid in his full-body UV suit (he's pale as a ghost) and then a big life vest as well, BUT we were in Maui and if a wave came in or I took a bad step or whatever, the kid would be in much better shape than me!

I love puddle jumpers for pools and stuff. They give kids confidence to explore and not tip forward in the water. I use it for all my toddlers, as swimming lessons proved...rather expensive and pointless. We don't own a pool, nor do we have regular access to one, so they only really used their skills in class and maybe 2-3 times a year.

For stuff like the ocean, I'd be a lot more comfortable with something like this.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Speaking of the beach/sand.... one unforeseen pitfall we encountered on our first beach trip (at 14 months) was being frightened of sand. She hadn't really been on it before and it completely freaked her our. Like, total meltdown couldn't touch it. Once she was on our blanket ON the sand she was fine! Just couldn't touch it.

So make sure your kid doesn't freak out about it since it's a new, hot, confusing texture. Now she's fine with it. Afterwards at the park she finally got used to it.

Also, today's Amazon Deals of the Day include the Coleman Beach Shade for like 30 buck.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_1448...ode=14488937011

I have a Sportsbrella which is great, but doesn't have the floor mat these have. And when you realize that your sportsbrella pole basically goes right in the middle of the blanket (that, you know, doesn't have a hole) you'll realize how convenient this is.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

BonoMan posted:

Also, today's Amazon Deals of the Day include the Coleman Beach Shade for like 30 buck.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_1448...ode=14488937011

I have a Sportsbrella which is great, but doesn't have the floor mat these have. And when you realize that your sportsbrella pole basically goes right in the middle of the blanket (that, you know, doesn't have a hole) you'll realize how convenient this is.

Thanks for this! I was looking to pick up one more puddle jumper before summer, and the local sales weren't too impressive. $12 is a great deal, and I also picked up a beach shade for random trips to the beach/park.

Summer is always a conundrum, I make all these plans to go to the beach and stuff but I always end up doing something easier. Like an indoor playground or an aquarium. Having three little kids make going to the beach or an overcrowded local pool such a pain in the rear end! It's funny, people here in SoCal actually rarely go to local beaches. Parking sucks, the water is questionable and there's so much other stuff to do.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

VorpalBunny posted:

I am the paranoid mommy who puts her kids in flotation devices in big open bodies of water. My friends all looked at me like I was nuts, my kid in his full-body UV suit (he's pale as a ghost) and then a big life vest as well, BUT we were in Maui and if a wave came in or I took a bad step or whatever, the kid would be in much better shape than me!

I love puddle jumpers for pools and stuff. They give kids confidence to explore and not tip forward in the water. I use it for all my toddlers, as swimming lessons proved...rather expensive and pointless. We don't own a pool, nor do we have regular access to one, so they only really used their skills in class and maybe 2-3 times a year.

For stuff like the ocean, I'd be a lot more comfortable with something like this.

My kid is in a full body uv suit too! it's so much easier than sun block and we are a super pale family. I would do a life jacket in a lake too, but I don't do them at the beach. I worry about him being too buoyant making it easier for waves to carry him off. Is that weird? We just stick to really shallow water and keep a hand on him or within inches at all times. I'll take him to water that is waist deep for me, but he stays in my arms. I've very vigilant around water.

Anders is 2 and I refuse to pay for swim lessons because there isn't really anything in them that you can't do by yourself for free. My friend used to teach swim lessons and was the most requested teacher so she does stuff with him and tells us what we should work on. At this age she said what others have mentioned: getting used to/comfortable in water, blowing bubbles, slowly getting used to getting head in water, practicing kicking feet, starting to get use to floating on back. For the back float she suggested resting his head on our shoulder with his body out in front of us supported by our arm. A lot of kids won't want to back float at this age. Slow and steady and making it fun is the key. They also teach water safety. We go to the Y where they require life jackets and he loves the puddle jumper ones. He can now get around the whole pool himself kicking and paddling while wearing the puddle jumper. He's not as big a fan of the regular infant lifejacket but I try to have him use those too because we have one for the kayak and it has a different buoyancy, so I want him to be comfortable with it too.

As for the beach talk, be prepared for anything. Most kids freak at first. I was shocked that mine ran straight for the ocean and loved the sand immediately.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I keep a life jacket on my three-year-old when I take him out on my surfboard to paddle around. Both him and my 20 month old love the beach one day and hate the beach another day. I never know what I'm going to get. Here is an old clip of a time that he loved it.

https://youtu.be/Y7zlpZIbA-8

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We're going on a week long vacation to the Outer Banks next week so this conversation has been relevant! Jasper didn't enjoy the ocean when he was 1 and 2. I hope he is fine with it at 3. He loves going to the lake. We've been taking him as much as we can this past month so he gets use to it again this summer. Its been hard to find times to go since its been so drat cold here in North Carolina. We've been watching episodes of cartoons that he likes (Dora, Daniel Tiger, Peppa Pig) that deal with going to the beach as well as watching videos of other toddlers at the beach having a good time and talking it up a lot.

Its going to be awesome. The closest walmart is 70 miles away :cool:

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Mocking Bird posted:

That makes sense. I think I'm struggling because 16 y/o and I have only known each other since August, and she's only been living with me since the end of January.

We are very close, but just starting to exit the honeymoon phase. It's amazing the number of small irritating things one individual can do in a single day :rolleyes: She threw away all my forks because she was too lazy to wash them. She lost an expensive TI calculator a friend of mine bought her for math class. She destroyed half the clothing she owns with abuse and harsh dryer cycles. Uggggghhhh

At the same time she is smart, and sweet, and evilly sarcastic and we get along like matches and fire crackers, so I guess we will figure it out.

Plus apparently we now say "I love you" when I come in to say goodnight :kimchi:

That all sounds like stuff my teenager would do. Also he has an astonishing lack of common sense at times, sometimes I honestly wonder how he manages to remember to put his pants on before his trousers every day (that probably won't translate well - what do Americans call mens underwear?). And a level of confidence in his own judgement that you could bounce rocks off, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but can be frustrating when you're trying to explain why something might not be a good idea (see mountain climbing example).

With the terrible moods, most the time he is fine. I bitched about the holiday but if I actually made a tally of how often one of them did something horrible the two little ones would win by a mile, it's just a lot easier to deal with when they are young because you are allowed to be in complete control. With a teenager it's more a negotiation of what control they are willing to accede to you and how to try and balance it all out with their desire for autonomy. I can only imagine how much more difficult that must be when it is a teenager that you haven't been building that relationship with from birth. But what you're doing is amazing, and don't feel bad about being frustrated and annoyed sometimes - I think having a teenager in the house (regardless of how they got there) and not being pissed off sometimes would be far more unusual.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Congrats on the adoption Vorpal Bunny!

Strangest thing, we are only1 week out from winter, yet the boy went swimming at the beach on the weekend for a couple of hours.
The days are still lovely, warm & sunny... summer hasn't really finished. We've not had an autumn at all, really.
It's just starting to get a little brisk first thing in the morning and late at night but through the day it's still 28-30 C (mid 80's F).

Hopefully the weather keeps up for your trip soon!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
back from a 3 week trip in portugal-morocco-spain with a 7 months old (now 8). The trip was amazing, but exhausting since everyone got sick multiple times and the baby had very very very lovely sleep throughout the trip. It was still completely worth it and everything was amazing, but if anyone is planning something similar I'd highly suggest you keep the number of cities low since moving every 4 days was rough and if we had to do it again we'd limit ourselves to one city a week.

Baby was getting very good at sleeping before we left and now after 2 nights back home he's slowly getting better, but we really hope we didn't gently caress things up too bad. I'm hoping a week will be enough to get back to where he was

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Does anyone have thoughts on getting an infant car seat vs convertible car seat only at birth, if we're:

a) Babywearing (I have both a Ring Sling, and 2 Lillebabies - airflow and all-seasons)
b) Getting a Baby Jogger Mini GT which works for newborns
c) Live in NC and he'll be born mid August, so it'll be relatively temperate the first 5-6 months.

Car seat are so expensive. We're thinking about getting the Chicco Keyfit 30 for infant and the Graco 4ever for convertible. Does anyone have thoughts on alternatives for a convertible and ways to get it for cheaper so I don't have to buy it with everything else in my completion discount?

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Rurutia posted:

Does anyone have thoughts on getting an infant car seat vs convertible car seat only at birth, if we're:

a) Babywearing (I have both a Ring Sling, and 2 Lillebabies - airflow and all-seasons)
c) Live in NC and he'll be born mid August, so it'll be relatively temperate the first 5-6 months.

Car seat are so expensive. We're thinking about getting the Chicco Keyfit 30 for infant and the Graco 4ever for convertible. Does anyone have thoughts on alternatives for a convertible and ways to get it for cheaper so I don't have to buy it with everything else in my completion discount?

I was gifted a graco 4ever and also got a graco infant seat (can't remember model) from a friend I trust who only used it for a week. We had one in each car since my daughter was born. Personally I always preferred the convertible seat. I babywear too and I refused to carry around the infant seat with the baby in it; babywearing is much easier for me.

I would say my daughter preferred the reclined position of the infant seat for the first 2 months but it wasn't as if she hated the convertible.

For the big convertible seats the best pricing I've seen is from Target sales. My mother in law picked up a 4ever for $211 with a $50 gift card last year.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
I liked having the infant seat because mine would sleep (in the early months) while we were in the car and then be very angry when I tried to get her out. Bringing the seat inside and having her nap supervised was so much easier than trying to get her back down.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

ghost story posted:

I liked having the infant seat because mine would sleep (in the early months) while we were in the car and then be very angry when I tried to get her out. Bringing the seat inside and having her nap supervised was so much easier than trying to get her back down.

This. Our son is about to be too big for the infant seat and I dread having to wake him up everytime he falls asleep when getting him out of the car. Going to buy groceries or shopping or whatever and have him fall asleep on the way there is great. I know I won't enjoy taking him out of a seat and waking him up.

While we're on the subject, anyone has a good suggestion for seats after the infant one? We're enjoy something that is convertible so we don't have to buy a million car seat. I'm reading reviews and such, but if there is a goon approved one I'd be interested to know

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Right now I'm using a Britax Boulevard. Later this summer I'll flip her to where she's forward facing (she's almost 4). She's approaching the limit on rear facing but there are other seats out there that have higher weight/height to enable extended rear facing. Diono is a brand I hear thrown around a lot for that. I think some of their seats are convertible/booster seat combinations.

I went with Britax mostly because of how easy it was to install.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Rurutia posted:

I'm not a fan of infant car seats. They are heavy and they inevitably get overused. Kids end up sitting in them all the time and that isn't best for their development. I think that even with the best of intentions to limit use outside of the car, they end up overused so it's better to just not have the option. We did baby-wearing (still do sometimes, but our kid is big and likes to walk now). I used a boba wrap at first then a boba soft structured carrier then a hand made linen mei tai bc my kid is a furnace and I get hot easily. We also have a hiking backpack which we use for walks/extended carries. Honestly, it's simple to go from carrier to car and back again. In the winter they can't wear coats in the carseat anyway so the carrier keeps them close and warm for the quick walk from the door to the car. We did have a stroller that worked for newborns that I used for walks around the neighborhood or if I knew I was going to somewhere by myself where I'd need to set him down (like doctors or clothes shopping), but even then I usually wore him and only set him in the stroller when needed. Honestly, when kids are in the bucket seats their worldview is limited, their interactions with their grownups and others tends to be more limited too and those interactions are what babies thrive on. I get the convenience when they are asleep but honestly, I just stay in the car til he wakes, run the a/c and heat as needed. I relax, take a nap myself, or do some reading or work on my phone. To each his own, just my two cents.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I have a 13 year old and 19 year old (both boys) as well as the 5 year old and 3 year old.

A couple of weeks ago I would have said they were both great kids but we just got back from a family holiday which was the first time we'd spent an extended period with my 19 year old for a while (he moved out about 2 years ago, we see him once a week or so so it's not like we're estranged but he just comes round for dinner or occasionally to sleep) and my god he was a butt head. Fine most the time but at least once a day some stupid inconsequential thing would turn into a massive argument. Him and my sister had a screaming match about whether the cocktail was called Sex on the Beach or Love on the Beach at the resort we were staying in. He wanted to climb the massive mountain behind the hotel, i said it wasn't a good idea with young kids (it was a craggy grapnel mountain rather than a nice gentle path mountain) so he yelled about how we were ruining everything by being so stupid then vanished for 6 hours. With no phone, no water, no sun lotion and in jeans. While I was trying to work out how to find dead bodies half way up mountains in foreign countries he appeared back wearing some random guys shorts and a back redder than a lobster. I read an article in the Guardian that talked about the hypothalamus reaction that gets a bit wonky in teenagers which sounded about right - It's like his hackles were always on the verge of being raised.

Sometimes as a young adult who's moved out you find yourself being incredibly irritable when you're thrown back to being with your parents other than on your own terms, like on a holiday.

I'm in my late 20s and I reckon I've got to the point where all of everyone's boundaries are understood so no-one has to get cross. It's only now that I'm a senior member of my profession and we're thinking of having our own kids that having the odd very small decision made on my behalf by my parents (on autopilot) makes me laugh rather than see red. It's been lovely to get close again as adults after a few years of having to gently push away. Still got a bit grumpy a couple of times when I was on a small boat with them last year.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Rurutia posted:

Chico Keyfit 30 is a great start, and baby wearing ring slings are great but not everyone likes them. I personally like our ergo and my wife loves her k'tan for when our baby was small and then our $20 mei tai for when our daughter got a little older.

I do recall there are infant friendly convertibles but they kinda suck? Keyfit worked for me just like ghost story says - you won't be doing that with a convertible.

Colliwog, we have the chicco nextfit zip but it is dependent on the size of your car.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If you can afford it, what worked for us was a bucket seat that fit into a stroller (chico keyfit I think). When he outgrew that, we went to a convertible seat. Still rear facing at 2.5 years. I have some issues with the forever seats, because I don't think they convert well for different stages and ages.

I also think a jogging stroller (with a front wheel that locks for walking/stores vs jogging) is a must buy. Even a neighborhood walk is so, so much easier with the big wheels and better turning.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When should we start using toothpaste on our daughter's first tooth? Both books we have just say "when the tooth comes in", and my wife and I disagree as to the interpretation: as soon as it erupts or when it's come in all the way.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I am not an expert in dental health, but IMHO "training" toothpaste is little more than a bedtime snack to be sucked directly off the toothbrush and eaten. We brushed every night once the teeth were in, but to me it's more just establishing good habits and it doesn't matter if you start doing it the moment the first tooth erupts or at age 3, as long as you do it nightly and for the rest of your life.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

My book (aap Your Baby's First Year) and doctor both said brush no toothpaste iirc, he turns 1 today and it's on our list of questions for his checkup tomorrow

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Jesus Christ. Apparently hand, foot and mouth disease likes to throw people for a loop sometimes and show up various places before it gets around to your hands and feet. My daughter got it on her neck, torso, butt and elbows. I got it on my back, face, my loving EYELIDS, in my hairline and on my ears. Big, gross sores our clothes were sticking to. Confused the hell out of me. Now our hands and feet are finally blistering and it seems to be spreading on our arms/legs. At least the doctors aren't blowing us off with "contact dermatitis" anymore!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

hooah posted:

When should we start using toothpaste on our daughter's first tooth? Both books we have just say "when the tooth comes in", and my wife and I disagree as to the interpretation: as soon as it erupts or when it's come in all the way.

Toothpaste is meh to begin with. Slight efficacy improvement, mostly exists for cosmetic/behaviour reasons rather than any sort of real tooth benefit. I wouldn't bother, even in adults it offers no real benefits to someone that is responsible with their teeth and brushes regularly.

The brushing, now, that is important, and no reason not to start as soon as there's a tooth to brush if you're up for it, but I wouldn't bother with toothpaste until it's convenient.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 25, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, she's not getting any fluoride, so I figured that might be a good way for her to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

hooah posted:

Well, she's not getting any fluoride, so I figured that might be a good way for her to get it.

Flouride is actually pretty bad for young children, though. (or at least, it's a lot easier to go into dangerous levels for them than adults)

Even if I was to use toothpaste for a baby I'm not sure I'd use a flouride toothpaste, I'd be too worried about them swallowing it and pushing them over their relatively low safe-flouride-limit and loving up their development permanently. (Although that's probably not a real concern unless you live in a location that already has naturally high water flouride levels)

But the general advice is to avoid flouride while teeth are developing, it damages them.

Edit: Specifically, flouride exposure before the age of 2 can damage the child's adult teeth that are still forming at the time. Flouride toothpaste for children is specifically cited as a common risk factor for adult dental flourosis.

It can also cause other developmental problems in regards to the skeletal system. It's bad for growing bones in general, making bones (later on, in adulthood) significantly more fragile and prone to breaks and fractures, and every bit of exposure increases the likelihood of damage.

Also, flouride has no real benefits until adult teeth have come in anyway, assuming you're otherwise taking decent enough care of the baby ones.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 25, 2016