Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Feinne posted:

It is not practical, the whole idea is laughable and I'm pretty sure it would just mean you hit your head on the car instead of the ground.
I definitely think it would be safer-on-average to stick to the car but whatever I don't want to go down a rabbit hole defending this fringe idea/tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

WarpedLichen posted:

What is causing transactions to be so slow? Is it just the computational time required to generate the proof of work, which seems like it should be adjustable, or is it because there are enough competing chains that rewinds are happening a lot?

If it is the former and by design, it doesn't sound like it's too awful compared to credit card transactions for example which can take days to process.

Credit card transactions are near instant but they are intentionally broken up into a series of steps that span a few days to minimize the need to change committed transactions. Amounts often aren't fixed when the card is first swiped (a restaurant needs to add in tips, etc); a card might be accidentally swiped twice, it is a heck of a lot easier to catch and reverse fraud when you haven't actually sent money to the other person, etc

Edge cases might be relatively rare percentage wise but in terms of absolute numbers there are a whole lot of them once you hit that sort of scale. In general I think that is where a lot of tech companies get themselves into trouble - they grow so fast that they don't have a chance to figure out the best solution to edge cases and instead are throwing money at them to make them go away. That works great until the money stops.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

pangstrom posted:

I definitely think it would be safer-on-average to stick to the car but whatever I don't want to go down a rabbit hole defending this fringe idea/tech.

Oh it's probably a bit safer on average, the real problem is an engineering and material science one. They need a combination of shell and adhesive that will only cause release in an actual collision, release with enough surface contact for proper adhesion, adheres quickly enough to do its job, and also strongly enough to keep you in place.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Even if it worked, can you imagine the liability? They'd go bankrupt the first time someone got degloved.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Explain the existence of stupid trivial software patents.

Lack of political will to abolish the practise coupled with insufficient funding and USPTO having a vested interest in just letting most stuff through.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Better asked in the law questions thread.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Disrupt Offices! Again!

innovative architect posted:

“It’s all about mobility,” says architect Scott Wyatt, who heads NBBJ’s corporate workplace division. “If you sit down for more than 20 minutes, you get dumber.” Walking outdoors, he says, is when your brain achieves optimum cognitive function, so the Samsung office is configured to get people out of their chairs as much as possible. With pairs of floors separated by an outdoor terrace, employees are never more than a floor away from stepping outside. The cafeteria, meanwhile, is housed in a separate star-shaped building, so they have to walk out to lunch – where 10 kinds of global cuisine are on offer in a food court worthy of an upscale mall.
:cry: :suicide: Yes, I totally want to get into a state of flow and then break it and get away from my computer so I can't type.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Grandpa understands how a car works and what a car can and can't do. He understands that just changing the hubcaps doesn't materially change the car or give it new magic powers. Since he's a judge and smart he'd look dumb to admit he has no idea how computers work, so he nods along and pretends he knows what's being talked about when the nice attorney from the tech company shows him why round corners revolutionize cellphones.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

Grandpa understands how a car works and what a car can and can't do. He understands that just changing the hubcaps doesn't materially change the car or give it new magic powers. Since he's a judge and smart he'd look dumb to admit he has no idea how computers work, so he nods along and pretends he knows what's being talked about when the nice attorney from the tech company shows him why round corners revolutionize cellphones.

Round corners is a design patent totally different. This thread did remind me to follow up on my patent bounty at work though. I threw a bunch of poo poo to the wall (lawyer) but never heard if anything stuck.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Haystack posted:

Even if it worked, can you imagine the liability? They'd go bankrupt the first time someone got degloved.

I think I'd rather go flying and dash my brains out on the pavement in that circumstance tbh.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Hughlander posted:

Round corners is a design patent totally different. This thread did remind me to follow up on my patent bounty at work though. I threw a bunch of poo poo to the wall (lawyer) but never heard if anything stuck.

Yeah but still something I'd say is absurd, and made for a better joke than "this revolutionary system that allows media to be transmitted from computer to computer (oiriginal idea, do not steal)" which is a more realistic version of how most software patent trolling works.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Haystack posted:

You say this, but in any collision where you would get swept over the car and smash into the ground the forces acting on the person would mean whole body degloving if the adhesive was strong enough to hold the person to the car. So yeah, the only potential for this car is as a high speed man flaying device, maybe sell it to those dudes on game of thrones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pangstrom posted:

There's a shell over the adhesive that would break on impact. Not sure how practical that would still be but who knows.

I am 100% behind covering cars in lots of second world war anti tank grenades.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
More cheap medical device failure news: Fitbit heart-rate monitors highly inaccurate.

quote:

May 19, 2016 (San Francisco, CA) – A comprehensive new study conducted by researchers at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (“Cal Poly Pomona”) reveals that the PurePulse™ heart rate monitors in the Fitbit Surge™ and Charge HR™ bear an “extremely weak correlation” with actual users’ heart rates as measured by a true echocardiogram (ECG) and are “highly inaccurate during elevated physical activity.”

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Disrupt Offices! Again!

:cry: :suicide: Yes, I totally want to get into a state of flow and then break it and get away from my computer so I can't type.

IMO through confirmation bias and other psychological quirks I feel that devs overestimate the productivity of their particular work habits. Having access to outdoor space and encouraging ergonomic breaks seems like solid practice and it is not as if they are forcefully ejecting someone from their seats.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

vancouver's greatest startup hasn't received any funding since 2014. Are they going to blow up soon?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

archangelwar posted:

IMO through confirmation bias and other psychological quirks I feel that devs overestimate the productivity of their particular work habits. Having access to outdoor space and encouraging ergonomic breaks seems like solid practice and it is not as if they are forcefully ejecting someone from their seats.

Ergonomic breaks are good and sensible, but "you get dumb after 20 minutes"? Show me a study or two, thanks, and it should be on coding or writing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ergonomic breaks are good and sensible, but "you get dumb after 20 minutes"? Show me a study or two, thanks, and it should be on coding or writing.

That reads like something on the level of oat-based cereals claiming to make you literally immune to heart disease.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

vancouver's greatest startup hasn't received any funding since 2014. Are they going to blow up soon?
Maybe they've decided they don't need more. Lack of a recent funding round isn't evidence of anything on its own.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gail Wynand posted:

Maybe they've decided they don't need more. Lack of a recent funding round isn't evidence of anything on its own.

Unless I have completely the wrong idea, you never turn down funding if you can get it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OwlFancier posted:

Unless I have completely the wrong idea, you never turn down funding if you can get it.

You do if you want to keep your equity.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Equity is if you have a profitable product, which is not a thing with unicorns. The goal is to get as much VC as possible until you get bought or fold.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Or if the valuation/term sheet isn't to your liking. Or if you don't want the prospective investor on your board. Or, like you said, maybe your current funding/revenue is adequate for your present roadmap and you don't want to dilute for no reason..

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Equity is if you have a profitable product, which is not a thing with unicorns. The goal is to get as much VC as possible until you get bought or fold.
Many unicorns have profitable products, I'm fairly certain Airbnb does for example. The investment is usually used for customer acquisition, some types of which are more legit than others. Setting up sales/marketing in new markets = ok, Uber style unsustainable discounts on the core product is bubble behavior though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Equity is power over your company, regardless of current profitability.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Gail Wynand posted:

Many unicorns have profitable products, I'm fairly certain Airbnb does for example. The investment is usually used for customer acquisition, some types of which are more legit than others. Setting up sales/marketing in new markets = ok, Uber style unsustainable discounts on the core product is bubble behavior though.

If they have sustainable profits, then they aren't necessarily unicorns. Just overvalued tech companies.

Airbnb is likely just as unsustainable as Uber since it survives in a legal gray area that could get legislated to hell at any time.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It sounds like a typical hyperbolic catchphrase employed by workplaces designers and I am not going to defend the literal phrase because I have no idea what research (if any) it is based on, but by the same token I think expressing :cry: and :suicide: at the idea of frequent breaks, even (gasp!) outside, is also a bit hyperbolic and hostile; I don't think the general concept is totally without merit given that it does fit within the realm of known research concerning the health effects of frequent breaks from sitting and the cognitive effects of spending time outdoors. At the very least, even if devs are unique creatures that operate totally out of the bounds of other humans, they are not the only persons that occupy a tech workplace.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Tuxedo Gin posted:

If they have sustainable profits, then they aren't necessarily unicorns. Just overvalued tech companies.

Airbnb is likely just as unsustainable as Uber since it survives in a legal gray area that could get legislated to hell at any time.
The thing is that many jurisdictions have passed laws accommodating Airbnb now, and at least they aren't reliant on an army of questionable independent contractors..

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bandcamp was probably started too long ago to be considered a "unicorn", but it's doing great. Way better than streaming unicorns like Spotify.

http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/479844/bandcamp-is-actually-doing-better-than-the-entire-music-industry.htm

quote:

Digital album sales grew 14 percent last year, whilst dropping three percent industry-wide and track sales grew 11 percent whilst dropping 13 percent industry-wide.

Vinyl was up 40 percent, cassettes were up 49 percent, and even CD sales managed to grow by 10 percent whilst decreasing 11 percent industry-wide. “Most importantly of all,” they write, “Bandcamp has been profitable (in the now-quaint revenues-exceed-expenses sense) since 2012.”

“Subscription-based music streaming, on the other hand, has yet to prove itself to be a viable model,” they continue, “even after hundreds of millions of investment dollars raised and spent.”

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
I was under the impression that Hootsuite was one of the good 'uns, e.g. making money thanks to the whole insane notion of "people will pay for a service" nonsense

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Bandcamp, unlike Spotify, is also extremely transparent, easy to use and gives you lots of control as a recording artist. Fundenentally, a retail model is of course way simpler than a streaming/radio model, but Spotify's payment schedules and methods are pretty wacky. Bands pretty much see Spotify as a promotional tool, rather than a source of income.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Octatonic posted:

Bandcamp, unlike Spotify, is also extremely transparent, easy to use and gives you lots of control as a recording artist. Fundenentally, a retail model is of course way simpler than a streaming/radio model, but Spotify's payment schedules and methods are pretty wacky. Bands pretty much see Spotify as a promotional tool, rather than a source of income.

Correct, Spotify is supposed to be a replacement for radio, but with more control than other radio replacements like Pandora.
I'd like to think if we had compulsory licensing so they didn't have to negotiate with so many different parties, the music streaming sites would be a bit more stable and transparent.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Frankly, radio is way simpler to figure out how to get paid as an artist. It's been a decade of internet radio, and we still don't know how to compensate artists properly. Obviously, radio licensing rates don't work, the volume is way way too high, but the sort of threshold system that Spotify (and to a lesser extend youtube) uses is an awful kludge that is completely useless to any artist without thousands of unique listeners a month.

e: as a consumer though, I have to admit It's a service I love and use the gently caress out of. Fixing the problem is way beyond my pay grade. Compulsory licensing might indeed be a good start.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 23, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hmm. Until this moment I thought Bandcamp was the Apple version of Greenlight and not a separate company. I think I had it confused with GarageBand name and the iTunes social thing they had a few years ago.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Gail Wynand posted:

The thing is that many jurisdictions have passed laws accommodating Airbnb now, and at least they aren't reliant on an army of questionable independent contractors..

Most of them require registration and licenses to run a short term rental, which the AirBnB power users (out of area investors renting non-owner-occupied places full time) routinely ignore.

Austin recently amended their law to require the inclusion of the city license number in the listing. That makes any listing without a license number an easy target for an administrative subpoena demanding the address because the listing's very existence is clearly indicative that something illegal is going on. It will be interesting to see if it has an impact or not.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Switzerland posted:

I was under the impression that Hootsuite was one of the good 'uns, e.g. making money thanks to the whole insane notion of "people will pay for a service" nonsense

The whole 'primarily being based off of Twitter' thing unsurprisingly isn't going well for them.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Wouldn't the sticky coat become useless after like a week of driving due to road dust and other poo poo sticking to it?

It would also create a nasty godawful mess on the hood of your car, a mess that would be immpossible to wash off. It would not be possible to force that bullshit on consumers even if the government wanted too.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Octatonic posted:

Frankly, radio is way simpler to figure out how to get paid as an artist. It's been a decade of internet radio, and we still don't know how to compensate artists properly. Obviously, radio licensing rates don't work, the volume is way way too high, but the sort of threshold system that Spotify (and to a lesser extend youtube) uses is an awful kludge that is completely useless to any artist without thousands of unique listeners a month.

e: as a consumer though, I have to admit It's a service I love and use the gently caress out of. Fixing the problem is way beyond my pay grade. Compulsory licensing might indeed be a good start.

Compulsory licensing and dragging the labels kicking and screaming into the digital age and changing their attitudes toward modern music distribution. They have an extraordinarily outdated view of how people want to consume music; they basically have not progressed beyond the days of vinyl in terms of packaging and distribution.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Spacewolf posted:

A patentable invention must be novel, at least in part; non-obvious; useful (provides some identifiable benefit and is capable of use), and must be patentable subject matter.

Those last few requirements are actually not easy to beat, since non-obvious is "not obvious to someone familiar with the state of the art".

The past few requirements are easy to beat, just tack "on a digital stored program computer" onto every claim. Then no matter how obvious it is, or how long the process being patented has even been done on computers already, the USPTO will rubber-stamp it and the Eastern District of Texas will rule that it's valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gay But Crush Puss posted:

Patent examiners are overworked dipshits and judges are technologically vapid dipshits

And the Eastern District of Texas loves its patent case gravy train.