Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Good idea thanks man

Beat them violently then brand them as "Fans of Batman V Superman" so they'll be killed in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ashpanash posted:

In BvS, Superman isn't just reluctant to save people. He actively hates it. It's like a terrible burden on him - he'd rather not save anyone. It's like his horrible sisyphean duty - he has to play nice and pretend to care about these tiny human creatures. All he wants to do is gently caress Amy Adams. Not Lois Lane, mind you - he doesn't give two shits about Lois Lane, there's barely even the semblance of a character there - he just likes Amy Adams.

It's kind of like the beginning of Hancock, but with a superhero with no charisma.

I guess I have at least one thing in common with this superman.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

martha

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:eyepop::chanpop::captainpop::eyepoop::shittypop::bernpop:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

still crazy that someone had the idea for the martha scene, wrote it down, execs look at it and okayed it, producers looked at it okayed it, director looked at it and okayed it, and the actors read the script and thought yeah this makes sense.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Martha probably should have worked the other way around. Superman sees a mausoleum in the fight that says "Martha", he freaks out thinking his mom's hidden in some giant airtight, lead-sealed casket, only to tear it open and find a 30 year old corpse.

Batman is struck dumb and motionless as his mother's body scatters from the tomb, parts flying all over the place and Superman just does a big dumb confused looked. Martha's mummified skull rolls along the ground to Batman's feet.

"M-mom..."
"Mom?"
"..."
"Was this your mom? I'm sorry. My mom's name is Martha, too. I thought she was in here."
"The plaque says Martha WAYNE! You read that far or is that YOUR mom's name, too!"
"So, I'm just gonna head out... I mean, I'll leave. I didn't mean to say that... JEEZ. Sorry."

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

:derp:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Tom Waits is found by police after a concert in Gotham, bound by barbed-wire restraints, severely beaten with multiple bone fractures including several compound fractures. He is dangerously low on blood and will take months of rest and perhaps serval years of physical therapy to recover. That's if he can survive the waves of relentless assassins after him for the bat-brand on his forehead.

From the shadows on a rooftop nearby, Batfleck smiles.

http://youtu.be/y9Mse62NFl4

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

So what about us olds that loved Superman I and II (and even the tongue-in-cheek murder of the bad guys at the end of II) who find the Snyder movies repellent?

What do they say then? Am I just a dumb old? Or a garden variety prole?

I'm curious but value my sanity enough to stay away from CineD.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Hmm, yes. I see how those two revelations given in the context of their respective scenes and given the development in the movies for the characters involved :swirls brandy glass: FAAART!

"You have a mom too? Let's be buds!" Certainly feels the same as "I had just now renewed my trust in you, a good friend of mine, and extended faith in your judgement that this dangerous criminal I've been relentlessly pursuing is trustworthy despite his past. Only now, I've just found out that you, my friend, knew that my parents were assassinated and didn't die in an accident as I have believed my entire life but you withheld this information from me for years. To make matters worse, this criminal you assured me was on the level has turned out to be my parents' killer. I am understandably quite upset at this news."

E: it's not like Civil War is high art, but it's almost farcical how well it handles roughly the same themes as compared to BvS. Maybe DC is trying a Producers-style gambit and they actually made Springtime For Hitler unwatchable.
A friend of mine, after watching Watchmen for the first time, remarked that Zach Snyder has a real problem with connective tissue. He can do individual scenes, or especially individual cinematic flashes, real well, but he glues those well-shot scenes together with all the deftness and solidity of a kid with mittens putting together a popsicle-stick diorama. That's why the Martha reveal of BvS, like what should have been the best line of Watchmen, end up with all the emotional impact of a wet fart; Zach Snyder didn't put in the establishing legwork necessary to make the bits pop.

Civil War isn't art, but the Russos did a very workman-like job of establishing the necessary emotional and textual beats from scene to scene. There's a bajillion characters in Civil War, and most of them end up having short but developed arcs, and the only way that worked was because basically every scene that wasn't a car chase or fight was doing double duty establishing characters, advancing the plot, or reaffirming the themes. People in Cine-D bitch about the movie's quippiness, but a lot of the quips were used to set up character traits or deliver hidden exposition. The "you killed my parents" reveal was done in stages starting from literally the first scene of the movie; first you see the assasination but don't realize what it is, then you meet RDJ's parents but don't know that they were in that particular car, while also getting that RDJ is super-hung up on their deaths, then, in multiple scenes, you see that Cap has been hiding info about Bucky, his old friend, from Tony, his new friend, then, at the end, A + B + C come together to make D: two superheroes trying to beat each other to death.. It isn't art, but it is a necessary process to get D while making the audience give a poo poo.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

*joker pulls a gun on batman*

batman: you really think that's gonna stop me?

*gun shoots flag that says "martha"*

*batman collapses*

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

A friend of mine, after watching Watchmen for the first time, remarked that Zach Snyder has a real problem with connective tissue. He can do individual scenes, or especially individual cinematic flashes, real well, but he glues those well-shot scenes together with all the deftness and solidity of a kid with mittens putting together a popsicle-stick diorama. That's why the Martha reveal of BvS, like what should have been the best line of Watchmen, end up with all the emotional impact of a wet fart; Zach Snyder didn't put in the establishing legwork necessary to make the bits pop.

Civil War isn't art, but the Russos did a very workman-like job of establishing the necessary emotional and textual beats from scene to scene. There's a bajillion characters in Civil War, and most of them end up having short but developed arcs, and the only way that worked was because basically every scene that wasn't a car chase or fight was doing double duty establishing characters, advancing the plot, or reaffirming the themes. People in Cine-D bitch about the movie's quippiness, but a lot of the quips were used to set up character traits or deliver hidden exposition. The "you killed my parents" reveal was done in stages starting from literally the first scene of the movie; first you see the assasination but don't realize what it is, then you meet RDJ's parents but don't know that they were in that particular car, while also getting that RDJ is super-hung up on their deaths, then, in multiple scenes, you see that Cap has been hiding info about Bucky, his old friend, from Tony, his new friend, then, at the end, A + B + C come together to make D: two superheroes trying to beat each other to death.. It isn't art, but it is a necessary process to get D while making the audience give a poo poo.

It's as much art as any mass market movie. It's not designed to make you contemplate, it's meant to be entertaining and satisfying to watch to its conclusion. By those metrics it is a very good movie, something you can sit down, enjoy, talk about over lunch with friends but otherwise not worry about.

It was way better than Age of Ultron which was trying to be all subversive about the roll of heroes or something but absolutely failed to be.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Let's not drag Ultron into this. This thread can barely contain one bad movie as it is.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

*joker pulls a gun on batman*

batman: you really think that's gonna stop me?

*gun shoots flag that says "martha"*

*batman collapses*

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just read the first XIII album and was reminded of this thread.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
DC could have used this as a springboard for a bold new take on superheros. A more realistic take that could perhaps say something about the nature of our society. If Superman was a real person, he probably would be conflicted and resentful of his supposed duty to the human race. If Batman was real he probably would be an ultra violent unhinged lunatic.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

DC could have used this as a springboard for a bold new take on superheros. A more realistic take that could perhaps say something about the nature of our society. If Superman was a real person, he probably would be conflicted and resentful of his supposed duty to the human race. If Batman was real he probably would be an ultra violent unhinged lunatic.

So, Watchmen?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
~Realistic~ is something Zack Snyder's work has never been accused of.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Flesh Forge posted:

~Realistic~ is something Zack Snyder's work has never been accused of.

Maybe so, but that's the vibe I seem to get from this. It's like he looked at the superman mythos of being an all american boy scout, and thought "lol that's stupid" and he would be right.
A world where beings like superman exist would be a horrible place. I know that's not what the comic mythos is about, I'm just saying I think I understand why Zack made the stupid decisions he made, and why he is the wrong man for the job. Instead of asking himself what the fans would want to see, he asked himself what a world with superhero's would really look like. Dead people everywhere and the strain of being different and isolated causing the super powered to be mentally ill.

Henry Cavils acting even fits with this. Of course a real superman would be emotionally unavailable and repressed. He spent he childhood with his parents having him hide who he really is.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 23, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Maybe so, but that's the vibe I seem to get from this. It's like he looked at the superman mythos of being an all american boy scout, and thought "lol that's stupid" and he would be right.
A world where beings like superman exist would be a horrible place. I know that's not what the comic mythos is about, I'm just saying I think I understand why Zack made the stupid decisions he made, and why he is the wrong man for the job. Instead of asking himself what the fans would want to see, he asked himself what a world with superhero's would really look like. Dead people everywhere and the strain of being different and isolated causing the super powered to be mentally ill.

Alan Moore did it first, both with Miracleman then Watchmen. It's why he writes Superman as a boy scout, because he already explored the alternatives with Miracleman, Young Miracleman, and Dr. Manhattan, and wants to explore what makes Superman continue to hold on to his ideals and morality when the world assaults him and his beliefs, be it a villain giving him a dream world, or being infected with a fungus that strips him of his powers and sanity, or his enemies getting the better of him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Same

Edit: so, ah, do we kiss now or ..... ??

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Young Freud posted:

be it a villain giving him a dream world

Oh poo poo. They totally have an opportunity to do "What do You Get the Man Who Has Everything" now. Just set up Superman's death as some kind of coma/afterlife.

I would forgive so much if Justice League did this.

And it didn't suck.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh poo poo. They totally have an opportunity to do "What do You Get the Man Who Has Everything" now. Just set up Superman's death as some kind of coma/afterlife.

I would forgive so much if Justice League did this.

And it didn't suck.

Supergirl stole this plot already

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't really agree that it's stupid but yes I am certain that is exactly what he thought. And then he thought "man gently caress that ima have all this poo poo blowin up it'll be fuckin rad!!" and "NECK SNAP!!" and other thoughts in a similar 13 year old kid vein.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

And I am unironically 100% certain he actually thought "ell oh ell" like, the sounds of the letters

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Glass Joe posted:

Supergirl stole this plot already

Aw come on.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

An actually realistic take on Superman: A highly motivated and morally (but not ethically) superior Clark Kent takes advantage of his flawless physique, handsome appearance, and most importantly his X-ray vision and superhuman hearing to absolutely dominate American politics, because he can just see all of his opponents' strategy and planning literally from a mile away. In debates he surreptitiously uses his heat vision to set Donald Trump's awful toupee on fire. When elected Emperor of the New America he enacts drastic financial reforms and brings about a golden age of prosperity and peace.

Batman: Applies his vast wealth and intellect to a private but devastating war against crooked hedge fund managers and ponzi scammers. Paves the way for a new era of genuinely philanthropic wealth and works tirelessly to eradicate poverty all over the Earth. Occasionally does MMA exhibitions.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Alternatively I guess realism can mean "NECK SNAP!!!" and "drives a weird car around and shoots a lot of people"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

An actually realistic take on Superman: A highly motivated and morally (but not ethically) superior Clark Kent takes advantage of his flawless physique, handsome appearance, and most importantly his X-ray vision and superhuman hearing to absolutely dominate American politics, because he can just see all of his opponents' strategy and planning literally from a mile away. In debates he surreptitiously uses his heat vision to set Donald Trump's awful toupee on fire. When elected Emperor of the New America he enacts drastic financial reforms and brings about a golden age of prosperity and peace.

Batman: Applies his vast wealth and intellect to a private but devastating war against crooked hedge fund managers and ponzi scammers. Paves the way for a new era of genuinely philanthropic wealth and works tirelessly to eradicate poverty all over the Earth. Occasionally does MMA exhibitions.

Now do Wonder Woman, but without wearing a necklace of severed male genitals from PUA and MRA activists (because that's what I would think as a realistic take).

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Young Freud posted:

Now do Wonder Woman, but without wearing a necklace of severed male genitals from PUA and MRA activists (because that's what I would think as a realistic take).

Wonder Woman's got waaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger fish to fry than internet dilwads.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Wonder Woman goes back to her roots and starts a highly discreet, massively profitable business as an exclusive dominatrix, and uses the secret truths she compels from evil clients to force them to change their ways

too easy, that one

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

but with wonder woman at a "purity ball"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Realistic Zod: "Hmm, these insignificant monkey men, pitifully stupid as they are, might somehow annoy me in the future, I'll just go to this nice empty planet a thousand light years OVER THERE and honestly I really doubt they'll invent interstellar travel before they destroy themselves, also I'm gonna gently caress the dogshit out of Faora because drat she fine"

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

They even called the episode "For the Girl Who Has Everything"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Glass Joe posted:

They even called the episode "For the Girl Who Has Everything"

Get your own storylines, Supergirl!

Is that show good? I didn't stay past the pilot.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

But Supergirl got cancelled along with Peggy Carter, because The Patriarchy lusts for yonic subjugation.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Father Wendigo posted:

But Supergirl got cancelled along with Peggy Carter, because The Patriarchy lusts for yonic subjugation.

I thought Supergirl just got punted over to the CW, where she can hang out with the Flash forever now.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I thought Supergirl just got punted over to the CW, where she can hang out with the Flash forever now.

drat, a fate worse than cancellation. The Patriarchy are motherfuckers.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Young Freud posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ3IvqsJaVo

Probably this but she's in ISIL.

edit- in as in the "country", not the movement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Get your own storylines, Supergirl!

Is that show good? I didn't stay past the pilot.

not really, unless you REALLY love you some Supergirl or Calista Flockhart

• Locked thread