Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

At DC. I was surprised to learn that Giraldez (infinity studio painter) actually barely does airbrushing on his minis at all and still brushes the vast majority of it. I'm thinking that since my overall goal in style is something similar to his when I push my blending technique, it'll be similar with the sparingly used airbrush too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

At DC. I was surprised to learn that Giraldez (infinity studio painter) actually barely does airbrushing on his minis at all and still brushes the vast majority of it. I'm thinking that since my overall goal in style is something similar to his when I push my blending technique, it'll be similar with the sparingly used airbrush too.

That's essentially what I do, I have so much time invested in brush skills that a lot of the time airbrushing models is taking a step back. It's great for subtle effects, weathering, cracked and peeling paint, that sort of thing.

I got to use the ultra-tiny Iwata airbrush for a while, and if I wanted to go whole-hog on minis I'd want to invest in one. The 400 dollar price tag gives me pause, however.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Here is what I did yesterday.

I haven't painted in a year or three, was a rookie even then, and was never very experienced doing relatively "normal" people, so I'm pretty satisfied with the results. I'm happy with Chisel, Flint, and Mallet (the center 3) but Honour (outside left) and Harmony (outside right) were nothing but frustration, mostly their faces. I don't have a lot of experience with faces, and I also thought I had accidentally washed out some of the detail when priming or something because they're almost featureless, like porcelain masks or something. Turns out that no, they're just kinda rubbish and even a more skilled painter seems to have trouble getting a result out of them:

So eventually I just gave up on those two's faces or else I'd be messing with them all day. Speaking of faces, after looking at a bunch of Mallets (right of the column) online, I'm apparently the only person who painted eyebrows on him. Oh well, it helps give his face detail. :v:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Looks good!

Female faces often are pretty lacking in detail, because deep lines are going to make them look masculine, old, or stern. Painting them is about subtly defining features. That said, it's really best to worry about that later. Just keep working on defining highlights and shadows.

Here's my honor from up thread

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Here's a thing I did:

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished Kingdom Death Dragon King Tyrant

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Looks good!

Female faces often are pretty lacking in detail, because deep lines are going to make them look masculine, old, or stern. Painting them is about subtly defining features. That said, it's really best to worry about that later. Just keep working on defining highlights and shadows.

Here's my honor from up thread

That looks great.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

I sent you a PM. I have something that should work for what you need.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Did I ruin this yellow by washing it?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

signalnoise posted:

Did I ruin this yellow by washing it?

Not necessarily. Giving yellow a wash can be tricky sometimes, as depending on the shade of yellow and the color of the wash it can either enhance details or make things look like a mess. In this case, I think it really just needs some line highlighting with yellow to bring it back up and help define the edges.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I'm going through the thread slowly, but I have a question.

I want to play a game of Mansions of Madness for Halloween this year and I'm going to paint the monsters to help me get back in to painting. I haven't painted in 5-6 years, and that was just a pack of hormagaunts that I might be able to find somewhere... but I wanted to know if folks had suggestions for color schemes and paint brands that work well with Cthulhu mythos type monsters. If anyone has done these minis before and has tips they picked up that would be greatly appreciated as well

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Eyes come with time. It will take a while. The best way I've done is to paint the entire eye black, then paint on two white lines in both sides. It helps prevent the tunnel vision effect.

I just painted up some more Empire of Dust for Kings of War. Not as quickly as I hoped, but progress is progress:

Flying Pharoah:

Regiments of Scavengers:

Horde of Chariots:

Love the dusty basing scheme.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I'm prepping a metal dragon mini with the view the oathing it. I think it has taken more time for me to put this thing together, sand it, and then fill the millions of holes I found than it will ever taken to paint it.

This thing it pitted all the way across any smooth surface. I've basically had to reline its wings with milliput to fix them. I think the moment I've finished prepping this thing I'll use it as a boomerang.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lethemonster posted:

I think the moment I've finished prepping this thing I'll use it as a boomerang.

But then you'll just have to prep it again! :v:

Really, though, the Oath Thread would love to see you return!

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

krushgroove posted:

But then you'll just have to prep it again! :v:

Really, though, the Oath Thread would love to see you return!

Ive reached that point where I've put so much time into trying to fix up this stupid model that I can't stop until I've done it. I went to use my liquid greenstuff but its all dried up so I have finally resorted to thinning down white putty with acetone and resurfacing it with that. It currently looks like a rough mess but HOPEFULLY once fully dried I will be able to sand it smooth.

I've got quite a few metal models I've avoided ever painting (like a bunch of the Sisters of Battle Stuff) purely because I found getting a smooth base so difficult on larger elements. Maybe all this fuss will mean I've finally got a quick and reliable method and I can start on those.

Edit: gently caress this dragon and the holey wings it flew in on

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 23, 2016

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I am so excited about this 3D printer we got at work and really need to get back to teaching myself how to use Zbrush. I just printed out this gecko head I am going to cast and use a bunch of as gargoyles on this giant 4'x2.5'x7' reptile condo I built. It took me 4 years to get to this point from 3D scanning the geckos, getting an artist (from SA) to finish the rendering and then finding a printer of a good enough technology print out stuff for casting that I could either afford or get access to. The tech is here! So many plans for 10mm minis...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

I am so excited about this 3D printer we got at work and really need to get back to teaching myself how to use Zbrush. I just printed out this gecko head I am going to cast and use a bunch of as gargoyles on this giant 4'x2.5'x7' reptile condo I built. It took me 4 years to get to this point from 3D scanning the geckos, getting an artist (from SA) to finish the rendering and then finding a printer of a good enough technology print out stuff for casting that I could either afford or get access to. The tech is here! So many plans for 10mm minis...

I am so jealous. I wish I had access to that kind of tech for modeling.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Wow, the scale detail on that is super-fine! Is your 3d printer an extruder or a stereolithographer?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Tonight I finally tried my airbrush. I'm glad I started out with spoons or that would have been 60% of my test models in simple green right now.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

nesbit37 posted:

I shudder to imagine how much that 3D printer must cost. I haven't seen anything print that well, even from places like Shapeways.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mango Polo posted:

Tonight I finally tried my airbrush. I'm glad I started out with spoons or that would have been 60% of my test models in simple green right now.

The learning curve is pretty steep but totally worth it in the end

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

The learning curve is pretty steep but totally worth it in the end

Sure seems so, because the spoons that worked are nice. What I learned: 20 psi is not 10-15 as suggested. Need to get over my tendency to spray too close.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

And the great part is even if you're lovely at airbrushing, it's still nice for basecoats and priming

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

signalnoise posted:

And the great part is even if you're lovely at airbrushing, it's still nice for basecoats and priming

I thoroughly hosed up both :v:
The few successes though were encouraging.

I'll keep practicing this before I move on to the clear paints part of my models.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I finished my first thing in like ten months!

I did go back right after taking these photos and cleaned the messiest highlights up a bit.
I think it turned out rather decent, given that I'm both out of practice and weren't aiming for more than table top standard anyway.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

I thoroughly hosed up both :v:
The few successes though were encouraging.

I'll keep practicing this before I move on to the clear paints part of my models.

That looks like the spoons were oily or something when you applied the paint

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I need help with my first foray into airbrushing. I picked up a Badger Sotar 20/20 off of ebay that was listed in great, working condition. I got everything hooked up correctly, but when I went to test fire the airbrush with water in the pot(I wanted to make sure it worked properly before switching to paint) the airbrush barely sprayed anything, and instead blew the water out of the pot. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

I have no experience with airbrushing, so before I attempted to take apart the airbrush and potentially break/lose something, I wanted to ask you guys if you knew what could be causing this. Modulating the air pressure only reduces how much it bubbles. The water that does come out seems spattery, rather than a nice spray.

It is a gravity feed, dual action brush btw.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

signalnoise posted:

That looks like the spoons were oily or something when you applied the paint

I checked out the rest of the spoons and it doesn't particularly feel like there's any grease on them. But I didn't wash them, which I probably should have.

jadebullet posted:

I need help with my first foray into airbrushing. I picked up a Badger Sotar 20/20 off of ebay that was listed in great, working condition. I got everything hooked up correctly, but when I went to test fire the airbrush with water in the pot(I wanted to make sure it worked properly before switching to paint) the airbrush barely sprayed anything, and instead blew the water out of the pot. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

I have no experience with airbrushing, so before I attempted to take apart the airbrush and potentially break/lose something, I wanted to ask you guys if you knew what could be causing this.

Oh I had that on my first go. My manual suggested tightening the air head and that did the job.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That reminds me, is there any viable way to scan a model then 3D print it in a different scale yet?

It seems like a no-brainer, but I can't seem to find any consumer-facing 3D scanning services.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Mango Polo posted:

I checked out the rest of the spoons and it doesn't particularly feel like there's any grease on them. But I didn't wash them, which I probably should have.

Oh I had that on my first go. My manual suggested tightening the air head and that did the job.

Which part is the air head? The nozzle bit, or the part that the air line feeds into?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Probably looks different on the badger but:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
No dice. I removed the needle and took apart the front section, cleaned up the inside of the pot and the paint tube with alcohol so it is very clean, put it back together and it is still blowing a poo poo ton of air out of the pot

Edit: gently caress! went to screw the air head back on and the loving threading separated from the air head completely.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

jadebullet posted:

I have no experience with airbrushing, so before I attempted to take apart the airbrush and potentially break/lose something, I wanted to ask you guys if you knew what could be causing this. Modulating the air pressure only reduces how much it bubbles. The water that does come out seems spattery, rather than a nice spray.

'blew the water out of the pot' - that and bubbling in the paint cup are clear signs of a clog. Does the needle move back with the trigger? If not something is really dried up in there.

Let some airbrush thinner soak in the paint cup for half an hour or so, or use an ultrasonic cleaner if you have one. My favorite is to use cellulose thinner because it will eat away any paint. After a soak, flush out the cleaner and put in some fresh cleaner or water and see if it will spray. That may get you going at least, but the nozzle of the Sotar is so tiny you'll probably have to clean out the nozzle with thinner and a stiff paint brush,no matter what.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is it ok to brush this stuff on since i dont have an airbursh? It says oil does that matter that its going on acrylic painted tiny spaceships? I dont know what im doing when it comes to varnish

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

zVxTeflon posted:

Is it ok to brush this stuff on since i dont have an airbursh? It says oil does that matter that its going on acrylic painted tiny spaceships? I dont know what im doing when it comes to varnish

That stuff is for oil paints. It's wax-based and would probably be okay, but I'd get a varnish meant for acrylic paint instead: http://www.dickblick.com/products/liquitex-gloss-and-matte-mediums/

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Avenging Dentist posted:

I shudder to imagine how much that 3D printer must cost. I haven't seen anything print that well, even from places like Shapeways.

It's actually not as expensive as you would think (though I wouldn't call it cheap). This was done on the Formlabs Form 2 printer.

Ilor posted:

Wow, the scale detail on that is super-fine! Is your 3d printer an extruder or a stereolithographer?

Stereolithography. This was printed at 25 microns.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

Aw, he's fallen and he can't get up!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Awesome. Stereolithography is absolutely the way to go if you have the scratch to be able to afford it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Brewsuke posted:

Aw, he's fallen and he can't get up!
You could flip him over, but then he'd eat your face.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
How well should primer stick to resin? I know on plastic, most primers actually dissolve the surface a bit so they stick really well, but that doesn't apply to resin. If it comes off after scraping as hard as I can with a fingernail, is that a problem? I waited about 3 hours before testing it. I ask because I have some resin that's a bit shiny, and I'm worried that the mold release leached into the resin. (I'm also doing some A/B tests to compare with non-shiny resin.)

If it matters, I'm trying this with Tamiya Fine Grey Surface Primer.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Avenging Dentist posted:

How well should primer stick to resin? I know on plastic, most primers actually dissolve the surface a bit so they stick really well, but that doesn't apply to resin. If it comes off after scraping as hard as I can with a fingernail, is that a problem? I waited about 3 hours before testing it. I ask because I have some resin that's a bit shiny, and I'm worried that the mold release leached into the resin. (I'm also doing some A/B tests to compare with non-shiny resin.)

If it matters, I'm trying this with Tamiya Fine Grey Surface Primer.

In my experience, primer sticks to resin better than metal, but not as good as it does on plastic. I've had it scrape off with a fingernail before from several different manufacturers so I think it's just a property of the primer not bonding as strong as it would on plastic.

I assume you washed your models in warm soapy water, right?