Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hakagure could be the star of the side series if the production team wants to save on budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ok, Mr. Ace Director, show me how you compress everything in this episode into 4.5 minutes, I say 4.5 minutes because that is how much you would have to compress things to fit 2.5 chapters into this episode.

Also if you can't handle other people arguing with you you should not post.

Someone said they didn't like one episode of a thing, it's a perfectly valid criticism to say the pacing was bad in this episode. You don't have to be the anime defense squad.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ok, Mr. Ace Director, show me how you compress everything in this episode into 4.5 minutes, I say 4.5 minutes because that is how much you would have to compress things to fit 2.5 chapters into this episode.

Also if you can't handle other people arguing with you you should not post.

:laffo: you're the one whining at me for having a different opinion on the episode than you. you even dare me to make a better episode. it's pretty sad how important this anime is to you. as for things that could fix the episode, i've already agreed with stuff some other posters have suggested.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

kidcoelacanth posted:

Someone said they didn't like one episode of a thing, it's a perfectly valid criticism to say the pacing was bad in this episode. You don't have to be the anime defense squad.

So I'm not allowed to disagree and say so, or ask them to show that their criticism is valid? Saying the pacing was bad is a valid criticism if you have some reasoning behind it, they haven't shown that they do.

Condiv posted:

:laffo: you're the one whining at me for having a different opinion on the episode than you. you even dare me to make a better episode. it's pretty sad how important this anime is to you. as for things that could fix the episode, i've already agreed with stuff some other posters have suggested.

No one has suggested anything that does what you are asking for, try again. And yeah, I actually respect the work being put into this by the anime team, I think it's pretty lovely of you to take a big steaming dump on their hard work for no reason.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I like this series about anime super heroes. I like the poofy haired girl but I'm not keen on her fan-service super hero costume, I like the big muscle guy and I hope we get to see him do cool things, I like the Pink Ridley-Scott alien girl and her fabulous 80s costume, but most of all I really like Deku and his rage-a-holic friend, and I'm glad he got beaten and experienced some humility.

He really could have been just another Sssuke, but I don't think they'll go that direction with that so I am happy.

A good anime.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I like this series about anime super heroes. I like the poofy haired girl but I'm not keen on her fan-service super hero costume, I like the big muscle guy and I hope we get to see him do cool things, I like the Pink Ridley-Scott alien girl and her fabulous 80s costume, but most of all I really like Deku and his rage-a-holic friend, and I'm glad he got beaten and experienced some humility.

He really could have been just another Sssuke, but I don't think they'll go that direction with that so I am happy.

A good anime.

Alien Queen has wonderful fashion sense.

And yeah, I'm also super glad that that bakugou's on a not-Sasuke path.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, as we saw, Bakugou not only has to deal with losing to Deku, but also no longer being a big fish in a small pond; as he saw with Todoroki and Yaoyorozu, he's among the best of the best now. He isn't the best by default anymore.

Also, one of my favorite characters had their debut in the post-credits scene this episode, which is neat. Though his voice sounded odd; it didn't seem the same as the one in that clip that was put on their YouTube channel. I wonder what's up with that.

(Also yes, Yaoyorozu is cool but her outfit, while arguably justified by her power as we'll see, is still unnecessarily creepy. The author perving over her is one of the few things I dislike about this series.)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No one has suggested anything that does what you are asking for, try again. And yeah, I actually respect the work being put into this by the anime team, I think it's pretty lovely of you to take a big steaming dump on their hard work for no reason.

kidcoelacanth posted:

The pacing could be a hell of a lot better in this thing, but that's pretty much how all direct manga adaptions seem to go. I'd rather they fill all those flashbacks with more fun side character stuff because honestly the cavalcade of minor characters in MHA is my favorite thing about it.

there you go. this episode didn't need to adapt 2.5 chapters like last, but it needed more going on than it did. now stop being such a baby because i didn't like an episode you did.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

This is like filler arguments on a micro scale

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Condiv posted:

there you go. this episode didn't need to adapt 2.5 chapters like last, but it needed more going on than it did. now stop being such a baby because i didn't like an episode you did.

I still don't see what can be cut other than the three minutes of flashbacks across the whole episode. I think going with a cold open would be jarring and would not give enough context for the following scenes. I don't see how you compress all the other scenes in the episode to make room for more stuff, or at least enough extra content to take an episode that you see as poo poo all the way to being good. That is why I'm asking you to explain what changes you want made and how those changes wouldn't ruin the rest of the episode.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Maybe there's no great solution and we'll all just have to live with the fact that some people think a good series may have a mediocre episode in the middle of its first run.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

one of the funny things about yaoyaoyao's 'fanservice' is that she always seems like she's totally either unaware of it or maybe more accurately like she doesn't give a poo poo you're seeing it, which I find amusing. Her expression is always really ho-hum when it comes to that.

It's funny though cos she gets super embarrassed easily about other stuff.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
So I hadn't actually watched the episode yet, watching now.

Agreed, Tooru's voice is 10/10.

The rest of the class' VAs are pretty on-point too.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I hope that as Deku learns to control OfA better as the series goes on, he gets his own "Transformation" that has him drawn in the All-Might style.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

Maybe there's no great solution and we'll all just have to live with the fact that some people think a good series may have a mediocre episode in the middle of its first run.

Is it fair or reasonable to ask for something unfixable to be fixed?

I think the problem here has everything to do with adapting manga to anime and the only solution is to not make an anime in the first place.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I hope Deku works up the courage to ask Levitation Girl out.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Jintor posted:

one of the funny things about yaoyaoyao's 'fanservice' is that she always seems like she's totally either unaware of it or maybe more accurately like she doesn't give a poo poo you're seeing it, which I find amusing. Her expression is always really ho-hum when it comes to that.

I think it's more the latter. While I kinda agree with Roland in that the author's omake notes about her make it clear that he made her character and outfit almost explicitly to have a character with little clothing - which makes it kinda creepy, I also do think that her character is pretty great and that her costume is fitting for her quirk, which is a pretty inventive and interesting quirk. And a little bit of not-so-servicey fanservice isn't such a terrible thing in the end.

Also her poofy ponytail is awesome.

E: half-finished thoughts because I'm tired.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 23, 2016

Jintor
May 19, 2014

there's gonna be a scene this season with her in it i'm curious how they do: the scene where her text bubble acts as her censor, so I'm kinda morbidly curious how they adapt that

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jintor posted:

She picked it herself after all, it'd be odd, but not unusual to make a super hero costume you feel super embarrassed to be in.

a kitten posted:

I've decided that she's pretty cool.

"You did really well dodging" also applies to the thread. Nice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bakugou should've been like Pariston Hill when he's nice because ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh my god he's soooooooo mean right now, he's always angry. Like, how can you be angry all the time without just having a seizure 24/7 because he's soooo rude all the time wow. He's just a ticking time bomb at this point, pretty soon he's totally gonna just go out and start murdering himself some civilians, no lie about it. Mean heroes don't, exist after all, *cough*Wolverine, Guy Gardner*cough*

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Are you on your medication there, RareAcumen?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Are you on your medication there, RareAcumen?

I'm just so fed up by Bakugou's actions as a violent Rude Boy. And he's not even violent in a positive way directed at villians 100% of the time!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JosephWongKS posted:

Hakagure could be the star of the side series if the production team wants to save on budget.

I'm not sure even Japan can air a show fronted by a completely naked except for her gloves and shoes High School girl.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

I'm just so fed up by Bakugou's actions as a violent Rude Boy. And he's not even violent in a positive way directed at villians 100% of the time!

He hates villains alright, he just hates nerds more than anything.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Imagine what happens when Bakuogu fights against the evil NERD MAN.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

RareAcumen posted:

Imo bakugou is a good antihero. He has his own ideas on what is worthwhile as a hero, and he's surprisingly anti-villain for his character type

Condiv fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 23, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Bakugowns

His reaction to Deku revealing his secret to him helps give him a lot of depth, and it only gets better from here

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Bakugou should've been like Pariston Hill when he's nice because ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh my god he's soooooooo mean right now, he's always angry. Like, how can you be angry all the time without just having a seizure 24/7 because he's soooo rude all the time wow. He's just a ticking time bomb at this point, pretty soon he's totally gonna just go out and start murdering himself some civilians, no lie about it. Mean heroes don't, exist after all, *cough*Wolverine, Guy Gardner*cough*

He has an explosive personality.

edit: he is also, incidentally, the bomb.

edit2: his popularity is blowing up right now.

edit3: dynamite.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

definitely booming

maaaaan i hope the anime gives us even more extra character moments because that was adooooooorable. Kaminari trying to chat up ochako and getting bummed when she dashes off to Deku immediately was hilarious

I like Iida's voice a little less than I thought when he's yelly

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

He has an explosive personality.

edit: he is also, incidentally, the bomb.

edit2: his popularity is blowing up right now.

edit3: dynamite.

Detonation joke.

Gyges posted:

I'm not sure even Japan can air a show fronted by a completely naked except for her gloves and shoes High School girl.

I'm sure you can work a green screen into it somehow.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Still bummed they planned this so early that we ended up with just 13 episodes.

I imagine we'll get another season at some point but it won't be this year because the time slots are all accounted for if I recall.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like this episode

I don't like Bakugo

But he's a more well written character than most characters like him

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, those flashbacks to his childhood makes it a lot easier to empathise with him and he's already adjusting to reality a bit so hopefully he'll become a more likable character as the series progresses.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyges posted:

Go Nagai begs to differ.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, those flashbacks to his childhood makes it a lot easier to empathise with him and he's already adjusting to reality a bit so hopefully he'll become a more likable character as the series progresses.
He doesn't become all that likable ever really. Everything that's revealed about him however adds context to everything he does.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

You say that like the manga has progressed much further than it actually has.

E: Also, this is a discussion that's probably better suited for the manga thread.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 23, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I thoroughly enjoy well written characters who are assholes. They're so much fun and they usually keep up the pace and get things done, arrogantly sneering all the way and beating down the underprivileged for a (maybe) good reason.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

You say that like the manga has progressed much further than it actually has.

i mean it's at the 90 chapter mark and the Bakugou/Deku relationship has gotten plenty of focus in which it could've significantly turned him around. i don't think it's terrible that it hasn't, but Bakugou is still a character i don't like because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Baal posted:

I like this episode

I don't like Bakugo

But he's a more well written character than most characters like him

Oh, you think people like-like him? I don't think anyone like-likes Bakugo. He's written to be unlikeable and people like how well that is done.

• Locked thread