Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Technically speaking Peter Griffin has now done a retsuprae of Double Dribble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Truly this is the darkest of all universes.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Yeah, the original video was probably flagged because Family Guy used the entire thing. Seems like they went with that as a way to eat some airtime, as the joke drags on way too drat long.

As for this meaning Peter Griffin has done an LP: :suicide:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DraconicImpulse posted:

Seems like they went with that as a way to eat some airtime, as the joke drags on way too drat long.

This is literally one of their main MOs. one time, they played the entire video for Dancing In The Street with literally no other comment other than "this is gay."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DraconicImpulse posted:

As for this meaning Peter Griffin has done an LP: :suicide:

But Peter Griffin already did an LP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI6J024yG0o

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Leal posted:

And it's still funnier than an actual episode.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

I can't watch this without chip and ironicus holding my hand :negative:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I haven't watched a Runaway Guys video for a loooong time. I by chance clicked on their latest one ( https://youtu.be/bIlSfbzw2SM ) and was immediately put off by the fact that, all this time later, the footage is still stretched from 4:3 to 16:9 and it just looks horrendous. That's like 2007 quality! And this is an extremely popular channel run by three guys who have all done this for years now. Does nobody really care for the poor aspect ratio in their zeal to fill the entire screen? And do viewers really not care either? I guess most apparently not.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Chuggaaconroy insists on having a filled screen because he dislikes any kind of letterboxing. :shrug: He's also really stubborn about his practices; I tried telling him to dial down his video encoding settings on Twitter because he was talking about uploading a 3-4 GB video that was like 30-ish minutes but he wouldn't budge.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I guess it's true then that some people will never understand aspect ratios. It's like how my parents don't understand why I always have to go digging through their TV's settings when I'm over because it looks just fine, doesn't it?

Still, that seems kind of embarrassing for someone who's, for all intents and purposes, a video producer. Maybe if enough viewers cared about it he might too, but, well.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I can't watch this without chip and ironicus holding my hand :negative:
Me either. It's only marginally less painful, but I'll take that minor reprieve.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Amppelix posted:

I guess it's true then that some people will never understand aspect ratios. It's like how my parents don't understand why I always have to go digging through their TV's settings when I'm over because it looks just fine, doesn't it?

Still, that seems kind of embarrassing for someone who's, for all intents and purposes, a video producer. Maybe if enough viewers cared about it he might too, but, well.

He usually maintains aspect ratios on his own channel by having sidebars and stuff. I assume Runaway Guys things have less post-processing by him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Amppelix posted:

I haven't watched a Runaway Guys video for a loooong time. I by chance clicked on their latest one ( https://youtu.be/bIlSfbzw2SM ) and was immediately put off by the fact that, all this time later, the footage is still stretched from 4:3 to 16:9 and it just looks horrendous.

Confession time, I was halfway through saying they were the same thing before my brain handed me the proper math and slapped me upside the head for being foolish.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jsor posted:

He usually maintains aspect ratios on his own channel by having sidebars and stuff. I assume Runaway Guys things have less post-processing by him.

It really depends on the game he's playing; if he's doing a DS game, then he'll stick to aspect ratio since he fills the screen with sidebars and stuff. Otherwise, he stretches. As far as I can tell, there have been only two exceptions to his stretching: Link's Awakening, which he filled space with a GBC frame and the TRG playthrough of Super Mario Bros 3 which started out stretched and inexplicably went to the normal AR partway through.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Thank you, Cracked.com, for referring me to the best LP of Metal Gear Solid 3 I will ever see.

https://youtu.be/L-HVwXXAXeo?list=PLl70z_JTCa1mnM4PA0nUVTg1UAhH_2sZg

Headache Heroes posted:

Challenge #104 - In the name of exploiting a Kojima-flavored easter egg that can surprisingly effect gameplay, Matt and Rocky are tasked with getting Snake dizzy in Metal Gear Solid 3's Survival Viewer and alerting each guard they come across with the sweet sounds of upchucking an alligator dinner. Immediate and weaponless takedowns are required.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Dunno where else to post this, but YouTube, Let's Plays, and legal bullshit all go hand-in-hand so this is a good place to share it I think.

Quick summary:

Ethan and Hila Klein, aka h3h3Productions - Make funny criticism/parody videos about things, do silly things, videos should be protected under Fair Use.
Matt Hoss, akak Bold Guy - Makes skits where he has "witty" banter with women and irritates them into wanting to gently caress him.

Ethan and Hila poked fun at Hoss' videos. Hoss decided the best course of action was to not only abuse YouTube's copyright system, but to sue them based on false accusations that will hopefully not hold up in court.

https://youtu.be/fEGVOysbC8w

Follow-up to that video; A GoFundMe was created and backed by fellow YouTubers, including Markiplier, PewDiePie, and even The Fine Bros of all people. Rather than directly take the money for themselves to fund their legal fees, Ethan and Hila are putting it into an Escrow account in the care of two attorneys who are known for giving free legal advice to many YouTubers who deal with these kinds of issues.

https://youtu.be/ix4mTekl3MM

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jamesman posted:

Matt Hoss, akak Bold Guy - Makes skits where he has "witty" banter with women and irritates them into wanting to gently caress him.

What, how fake or "HEH see they said X which really means Y" is this incredibly stupid sounding poo poo, because this sounds more like it should end with "and irritates them into beating him in the face" than anything.

Also it'll never stop being funny how incredibly fragile these kinds of scummy fucks end up being when anyone actually gets at them for being disgusting.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 27, 2016

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

What, how fake or "HEH see they said X which really means Y" is this incredibly stupid sounding poo poo, because this sounds more like it should end with "and irritates them into beating him in the face" than anything.

Also it'll never stop being funny how incredibly fragile these kinds of scummy fucks end up being when anyone actually gets at them for being disgusting.

You can check him out for yourself. This is the specific video h3h3 covered in their own video (which is why it's got so many views and so many dislikes), but the premise of all his videos is the same; abrasive, pompous rear end in a top hat annoys a woman, but his cockiness and confidence eventually makes them hot for his dong. Also he's been mentioned on these forums before.

https://youtu.be/Dj4XAYhF0ok

What's really sad is even though h3h3 did poke fun at him, they ultimately had a favorable opinion of him and told people to check him out because they liked him, but this guy still felt like they were being absolutely hateful to him. h3h3 try not to be assholes to people and like to foster good relationships with the people they talk about on their channel, and the people they mention usually roll with the punches and embrace it, like a roast. They even met up with and went to lunch with one guy whose videos they talked about.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Jamesman posted:

They ultimately had a favorable opinion of him and told people to check him out because they liked him.

Well that's pretty sad and gross. Obviously doesn't change the situation of the other guy being a massive shitbag that deserves to have this blow back in his face but eugh.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't understand who you are calling sad and gross here

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I don't understand who you are calling sad and gross here

The PUA shithead almost entirely, just also that it's kind of sad that he got any kind of positive talk-up from them at all. People like that deserve basically zero kind words and even less a recommendation towards.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

Well that's pretty sad and gross.

They point it out in their video about being sued, where the claims say they defamed him and he demands promotion and poo poo. They don't tear anyone down as a person unless it's someone who undeniably is a bad person, and they felt he was a person who's doing their own thing and making original material, and they gave him props for that and told people go check him out. So it wasn't like "Oh yeah these are totally our favorite videos on YouTube we love misogyny!" or anything like that, but just "Hey these videos are weird, we're obviously teasing this guy a bit, but don't take it too seriously."

He took it too seriously.

Also I'm seeing some other YouTube videos where people h3h3 previously poked fun at showing support for them in this lawsuit. Some have even donated to the GoFundMe.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Jamesman posted:

So it wasn't like "Oh yeah these are totally our favorite videos on YouTube we love misogyny!" or anything like that, but just "Hey these videos are weird, we're obviously teasing this guy a bit, but don't take it too seriously."

He took it too seriously.

Also I'm seeing some other YouTube videos where people h3h3 previously poked fun at showing support for them in this lawsuit. Some have even donated to the GoFundMe.

Nah I getcha, that dude's a huge tool and obviously I hope the h3h3 people steamroll his ridiculous sounding case. I mean them just running down that list was like what does this guy even have on his side? :psyduck:

It literally sounds like the only chance he has is the "Terrible jury" lottery.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Here's a reupload of their Riff on his video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i0IQfBpwMA

E: It's a really drat tame Riff video. I really don't get why they're getting sued.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 27, 2016

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Jamesman posted:

You can check him out for yourself. This is the specific video h3h3 covered in their own video (which is why it's got so many views and so many dislikes), but the premise of all his videos is the same; abrasive, pompous rear end in a top hat annoys a woman, but his cockiness and confidence eventually makes them hot for his dong. Also he's been mentioned on these forums before.

This is one of the saddest and creepiest things I've ever seen being passed off as wholesome entertainment. There's something really off-putting about this subject matter being presented with stiff acting and sleek production values. :stonkhat:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Golden Goat posted:

E: It's a really drat tame Riff video. I really don't get why they're getting sued.

Cause the guy suing them is a little bitch. That should be obvious.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well the thing to take away from all of this, and the main reason I posted about it here, was the Escrow account being created to help fight cases like this. The guys the account is being set up for are Ryan Morrison and Michael Lee, who have given free legal advice to many people on YouTube regarding copyright and fair use issues in the past, and now this will provide them resources to provide actual legal representation to fight cases.

So it's actually a pretty big step for helping people out when dealing with people abusing YouTube's copyright system, or protecting Fair Use rights.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
According to copyright law, perjury is an appropriate charge for a fraudulent counterclaim. I don't believe it applies when they're claiming on the basis of fair use, unless it were clearly not fair use, and there's definitely at least the possibility that it's fair use here. The only thing that might work against that defense is that they used the majority of the original video in their commentary, but even then, nobody's going to use their commentary video as a substitute for the original. If they want to see some guy pretending to be buff and creepily hitting on a woman who's clearly being paid to pretend to be indignant and even more clearly being paid to pretend she wants to have sex with him, they'll have to go to the original.

I'm pretty sure this will apply to videos of games someday, if a copyright case about LP videos makes it all the way to court. A video generally isn't going to work as a substitute for a game because it removes the interactive portion. A game publisher would have to argue, with a straight face, that watching a video of their game is an adequate substitute for playing the game, and I think they'll only be hurting themselves by making that argument.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nidoking posted:

According to copyright law, perjury is an appropriate charge for a fraudulent counterclaim. I don't believe it applies when they're claiming on the basis of fair use, unless it were clearly not fair use, and there's definitely at least the possibility that it's fair use here.

I don't think there's any such thing from a legal perspective as "clearly not fair use", as "fair use" isn't legislatively defined, it's defined by case law and precedent. The law lays out factors for courts to consider in judging something fair use, but that's all. It doesn't even say anything about how courts are meant to use those factors. But you can't actually say definitively from a legal perspective whether or not something's fair use before it's gone through court, you can only say how likely it is to succeed a fair use defense based on past legal decisions.

I could be wrong here, but that's my understanding on what "fair use" actually means in US law. It's nothing more than a category of legal defense, like "self defense".

Idran fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 28, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

According to copyright law, perjury is an appropriate charge for a fraudulent counterclaim.

Lmao, no. Counterclaims are YouTube's own system and the ToS is all that matters, and YouTube's ToS says jack poo poo about fraudulent counterclaims.

There's also the DMCA takedown laws, which state that YouTube must respond to takedown notices or they lose their safe harbor status. DMCA has no penalties for false claims, except "Duke it out in court".

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Lmao, no. Counterclaims are YouTube's own system and the ToS is all that matters, and YouTube's ToS says jack poo poo about fraudulent counterclaims.

There's also the DMCA takedown laws, which state that YouTube must respond to takedown notices or they lose their safe harbor status. DMCA has no penalties for false claims, except "Duke it out in court".

Content claims and copyright strikes are two different aspects of Youtube's system, and a copyright strike is made under penalty of perjury according to copyright law. The counterclaim is similarly under penalty of perjury. So if one side can prove that the other side is substantially misrepresenting any information, it's a perjury charge. This includes a requirement to have considered fair use before issuing the strike, although that's not required to be part of the notification.

Idran posted:

I don't think there's any such thing from a legal perspective as "clearly not fair use", as "fair use" isn't legislatively defined, it's defined by case law and precedent.

Uploading a video in its entirety, without making any change, and without the copyright holder's permission, is absolutely clearly not fair use. You are correct that there is no such thing as "clearly fair use", but there are definitely cases where fair use cannot possibly apply. This is why we have things like "summary judgment", where a judge decides that based on the facts, there is no possible way that a jury could find in favor of a particular side, and therefore the case is decided without going to a jury.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nidoking posted:

Uploading a video in its entirety, without making any change, and without the copyright holder's permission, is absolutely clearly not fair use. You are correct that there is no such thing as "clearly fair use", but there are definitely cases where fair use cannot possibly apply. This is why we have things like "summary judgment", where a judge decides that based on the facts, there is no possible way that a jury could find in favor of a particular side, and therefore the case is decided without going to a jury.

Fair point, yeah.

quote:

Content claims and copyright strikes are two different aspects of Youtube's system, and a copyright strike is made under penalty of perjury according to copyright law.

I'm guessing Suspicious Dish might want you to be more specific than "copyright law" here; what part of copyright law specifically are you talking about? Do you have a particular cite?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Probably this, which is part of DMCA and is about DMCA takedown notices. Not copyright strikes. Copyright strikes can be caused by DMCA notices, but it's not the only cause, and a very rare one these days given the more powerful tools that YouTube gives content partners.

If we really want to go into rules lawyering on a comedy forum, the original quote:

"A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed."

Is "the information in the notification is accurate" "under penalty of perjury"? It's ambiguous. Warner argued the latter against Hotfile. This case in particular was thrown out, so it was never tested, but read Warner's full brief where they argue it's not after they contracted with a firm that sent bogus takedown notices: https://www.scribd.com/doc/184407656/warnperj542724ff-69be-4202-a6f7-de772fa4e074

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Since this is half-way to a DSP thread already, i'll ask here: I remember seeing a gif/webm a while ago of Phil playing DS3 going "I loving got away with it. I ran past everything and nothing even hit me." with the smuggest shoulder shrug you could imagine. The gif cuts off right before he gets backstabbed by an enemy from just off-screen.
Was it in this thread? I can't remember reading any other threads that mention DSP but i can't find it again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Since this is half-way to a DSP thread already, i'll ask here: I remember seeing a gif/webm a while ago of Phil playing DS3 going "I loving got away with it. I ran past everything and nothing even hit me." with the smuggest shoulder shrug you could imagine. The gif cuts off right before he gets backstabbed by an enemy from just off-screen.
Was it in this thread? I can't remember reading any other threads that mention DSP but i can't find it again.

I'm mostly sure this is it but I can't see it because they made their profile protected somewhere along the line.

https://twitter.com/Mischief_Arises/status/731605653106626560

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HenryEx posted:

Can't find the gif, but here's a Youtube source for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ungOlSeqMHo

Timeskip to 15:45.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 9, 2016

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

What the hell is that. Who knew that running around and jumping on poo poo acting like it's some EXTREME SPORT, will make women want to gently caress you. That IS what I'm supposed to take away from this right? I keep getting the vibe that the freaky tranny from Silence of the Lambs gives off when I listen to this guy....

"Would you jump on poo poo with me?.....
I'D jump on poo poo with me......"

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

BMS posted:

What the hell is that. Who knew that running around and jumping on poo poo acting like it's some EXTREME SPORT, will make women want to gently caress you. That IS what I'm supposed to take away from this right? I keep getting the vibe that the freaky tranny from Silence of the Lambs gives off when I listen to this guy....

"Would you jump on poo poo with me?.....
I'D jump on poo poo with me......"

I made it 20 seconds in and then time skipped around. What the gently caress even is this poo poo?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Garrand posted:

I made it 20 seconds in and then time skipped around. What the gently caress even is this poo poo?
It was that video that was mentioned further up the page where some annoying people made an unfunny video riffing on that other unfunny, creepy video and the unfunny rapey guy took down their video over a copyright claim. So they started crowdfunding for a lawyer and got a lot of money to help fight unjust copyright claims.

BMS posted:

I don't think that's a very friendly term...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Niggurath posted:

I don't think that's a very friendly term...

Yeah don't use that word.

• Locked thread