Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Skellybones posted:

Neat, so Labor will vote against anything the Greens say they support. I wonder how this can be leveraged.

DON'T stop gulaging refugees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Greens! :argh:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anidav we already have Carls Jnr. its on the Central Coast in Wyong.

They havea queue out the door every day and traffic management for the drive thru.

it wasnt even that good.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
do you remember the time anidav considered coming to a real state to try lord of the fries

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I am a good person and poster.

ABC Fact Check is gone so you can't check that statement.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Seagull posted:

do you remember the time anidav considered coming to a real state to try lord of the fries

that wasn't a real state

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

I am a good person and poster.

ABC Fact Check is gone so you can't check that statement.

We have your post history as evidence against that statement

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Billboards promoting Pat O'Neill, Labor's candidate for the federal electorate of Brisbane, have caused a stir after they featured him dressed in military uniform.

The billboards, funded and endorsed by the ALP but not Mr O'Neill, were seen throughout the electorate over the weekend.

The former Army major has been asked by the Defence Department to remove them, but Labor state secretary Evan Moorhead said the party had yet to be contacted.

"We did not [seek permission], it's an ALP billboard and we think we've used the imagery respectfully and are not implying anything improper in the way of the ADF," Mr Moorhead said.

"They are yet to contact me but we want to work closely with them and have the greatest respect for them and their integrity.

"Pat O'Neil has let Defence know that it's my billboard that I've paid for and that they should contact me as the campaign director of the ALP."

'We don't see this as overly controversial'

Mr Moorhead said using a candidate dressed in a military uniform "is nothing new".

"Last year at the Canning by-election Malcolm Turnbull appeared on the how-to-vote card with Andrew Hastie in his SAS uniform," he told 612 ABC Brisbane's Steve Austin.

"It wasn't a controversy at that time and we don't see this as overly controversial.

"He [Andrew Hastie] wasn't made to remove it and his image was given out to hundreds of thousands of West Australians last year."

Mr Moorhead said Mr O'Neill resigned from the Army two weeks ago after 18 years of service.

"As part of every campaign we try and tell people who their candidates are," he said.

"We believe we have used it [the image] tastefully and respectfully, but we're happy to work with Defence to resolve the matter.

"We think we've used it in a way that hasn't politicised the ADF; this is simply about telling Pat's story."

The ABC has received a statement from the Defence Department asking Mr O'Neill to remove the imagery:

"Mr O'Neill did not seek Defence endorsement for his billboards or advertising material.

"Defence has contacted Mr O'Neill in relation to this matter. Defence has requested that Mr O'Neill's imagery featuring the Australian Army uniform is removed.

"The Defence policy in relation to political activity has not changed.

"As a condition of their service, regular and reserve members of the ADF are obliged to comply with various Defence instructions and policies.

"Defence policy is designed to ensure that the ADF remains apolitical. ADF members are therefore not permitted to participate in any political activity in uniform, unless they are pre-approved to do so by an appropriate authority."

Keeping the ADF apolitical

Bernard Gaynor, Senate candidate for the Australian Liberty Alliance, has written to Defence Minister Marise Payne requesting the Army take action to protect its political neutrality.

"It gives the impression that the Australian Army endorses his campaign and his views specifically," Mr Gaynor said.

"Billboards featuring candidates in military uniform should not be allowed.

"They don't need a letter from the ADF to know this is wrong."

Mr Gaynor said the billboards were misleading and must be removed.

"To have a candidate in uniform promoting views like same-sex marriage and safe schools gives the impression that they are views supported by the ADF," he said.

"They are not."

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Anidav posted:

"To have a candidate in uniform promoting views like same-sex marriage and safe schools gives the impression that they are views supported by the ADF," he said.

"They are not."[/b]

How much the ADF's opinions on these issues matter:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Skellybones posted:

Neat, so Labor will vote against anything the Greens say they support. I wonder how this can be leveraged.

The greens should move a motion to oppose permanent revolution

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

The greens should move a motion to oppose permanent revolution

You know that whatever revolution Labor supported in response it wouldn't be a good one.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
You know what's a bit sad? This is probably exactly the reasoning that Labor used to start the right-wing slide, but unironically.

If we adopt Liberal policy they'll either look like idiots for supporting our policies, or shut down things they wanted in the first place!
Look at those idiots letting us pass all the things they wanted, but with us getting credit for it. Amateurs. :smug:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

If you really want to feel a fit of daily rage I highly recommend "liking" The Advocate's facebook page and reading the comments sections on any of their articles about mining, forestry, development, announcements of all the new Bunnings/McDonalds/Hungry Jacks that are exploding on the NW Coast of Tasmania. Get a good guage of the intelligect of the overall demographic of NW Tassie. It's entirely depressing but pretty hilarious.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You know what's a bit sad? This is probably exactly the reasoning that Labor used to start the right-wing slide, but unironically.

If we adopt Liberal policy they'll either look like idiots for supporting our policies, or shut down things they wanted in the first place!
Look at those idiots letting us pass all the things they wanted, but with us getting credit for it. Amateurs. :smug:

This is giving the labor party way too much credit for not just being third way fuckos

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

hooman posted:

You know that whatever revolution Labor supported in response it wouldn't be a good one.

They'd just steal a Greens policy and call it their own.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Reminder once again that Victoria is the best state in this shitheap of a country:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/may/23/victoria-to-become-first-government-to-apologise-for-gay-convictions

Daniel Andrews to apologise for all Victorians convicted under laws against homosexuality pre-1981 (the laws were abolished in that year)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The size of cycle fines is not the only thing to have surged in NSW in the past two months.

So too have the number of infringement notices issued as police crack down especially hard on cyclists who do not wear approved helmets.

The latest statistics show a 56 per cent rise to 1545 in the total number of fines issued in the two months after the Baird government ushered in stiffer penalties for cyclists on March 1, compared with the same period a year earlier.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/number-of-cycle-fines-surge-in-months-after-stiffer-penalties-introduced-in-nsw-20160517-goxld9.html#ixzz49SFZQV7w
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

You Am I posted:

Reminder once again that Victoria is the best state in this shitheap of a country:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/may/23/victoria-to-become-first-government-to-apologise-for-gay-convictions

Daniel Andrews to apologise for all Victorians convicted under laws against homosexuality pre-1981 (the laws were abolished in that year)

We're the first government in the world to give a blanket expungement and apology for anti-sodomy laws? :psyduck:

That's pretty surprising. It's also pretty disgusting when you think of the apology Turing got from the UK, that they didn't clear the records of everyone else with the conviction.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

We're the first government in the world to give a blanket expungement and apology for anti-sodomy laws? :psyduck:

That's pretty surprising. It's also pretty disgusting when you think of the apology Turing got from the UK, that they didn't clear the records of everyone else with the conviction.

I kind of assumed this happened already. I'm gobsmacked that it hasnt.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Kittens!

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

You Am I posted:

We have your post history as evidence against that statement

Yeah, but who's gonna go through and read that? It seems we have to take his word for it.

Anidav is, in fact, a good poster.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ket posted:

Anidav is, in fact, a good poster.

My my, how times have changed

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
a e s t h e t i c

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Why on earth are One Nation fielding a candidate in South Australia? We already have Family First as our resident right-wing nutjobs :confused:

AgentF fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 23, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Best ad of the election so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH9PXgZbfPY

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

AgentF posted:

Why on earth are One Nation fielding a candidate in South Australia? We already have Family First as our resident right-wing nutjobs :confused:

i'll keep using facebook though

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

I kind of assumed this happened already. I'm gobsmacked that it hasnt.

You gotta save the trivial human rights to dole out when you're being pressed on the poo poo that matters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AgentF posted:

Everything about that screenshot is beautiful.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Needs more shots of the dogs, fewer of leyonhjelm

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
To all you young people on Triple J hack explaining why you didn't enrol to vote, I'd just like to say that I met an MP once and he said (off the record) that the reason the young get hosed over in Youth Allowance and Newstart is because they don't vote. JUST SAYIN' :smugdon:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Welp they have to learn the hard way I guess, them being so clever and non-votey.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

If you don't vote when you have the chance, you waive the right to complain.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

TheMightyHandful posted:

If you don't vote when you have the chance, you waive the right to complain.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Young Labor colleagues Chris Brown, Annastacia Palaszczuk and Bill Shorten pictured in the late 1980s. Photo: Supplied

Haha Chris Bowen looks like he smoked a lot of weed.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Haha Chris Bowen looks like he smoked a lot of weed.

not Bowen, good posting status revoked

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

Young Labor colleagues Chris Brown and Annastacia Palaszczuk in the late 1980s. Not pictured: Bill Shorten. Photo: Supplied

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

not Bowen, good posting status revoked

drat I'm sleepy. still funny.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I was trying to figure out who Young Bill Shorten reminded me of. Someone young, smug and self-assured, definitely. Maybe someone from a teen comedy, like maybe an uptight upperclassmen that gets dunked on or pranked?

Then it hit me.

Friendlyjordies.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

A bit dweebier than Friendlyjordies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Starshark posted:

To all you young people on Triple J hack explaining why you didn't enrol to vote, I'd just like to say that I met an MP once and he said (off the record) that the reason the young get hosed over in Youth Allowance and Newstart is because they don't vote. JUST SAYIN' :smugdon:

the only thing worse about Hack than the people who call in are the loving hosts

• Locked thread