Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Sludge Tank posted:

11x14 tintype

Mammoth plate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Grindelwald by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

What rear end in a top hat at the council gave a building permit for those mountains, they must block all the afternoon sun

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

I want to do this. Explain it like i'm 5. Awesome poo poo dude.

Edit: your website is titties. Seriously awesome stuff, you little Tasmanian devil you.

Edit 2: I just learned about wet plate ambrotype. Jesus gently caress dude, that's some seriously involved poo poo.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 21, 2016

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Went to Seattle last weekend with some college friends.

IMG_9489 by jvick125, on Flickr

IMG_9467 by jvick125, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Chinese Gardens of Friendship by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Kisangani, DRC

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 22, 2016

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

:swoon: Everything about this is too good.

Choicecut posted:

I want to do this. Explain it like i'm 5. Awesome poo poo dude.

Edit: your website is titties. Seriously awesome stuff, you little Tasmanian devil you.

Edit 2: I just learned about wet plate ambrotype. Jesus gently caress dude, that's some seriously involved poo poo.

I was pretty comfortable doing 8x10's and have recently stepped up to 11x14 which is really challenging. Hope to be getting really clean consistent results soon. It's not super complicated but it's hard to do well.

And thanks :)

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 22, 2016

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

surrender posted:

Kisangani, DRC

Wow, Central Africa. Got any more?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Milan by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Wow, Central Africa. Got any more?

Yep, I just need to clean them up in Lightroom! I've lived here for over 2 years and I finally have a decent camera, so I'll definitely take more in the future. That was taken with an E-M10 and the Panasonic 14mm 2.5 lens.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I've been getting into night photography a lot lately. This is one of my favorites, though I wish I had more room to shoot the boat more towards the left of the frame to center the cluster of Milky Way, but there were a lot of trees on the right.

Here's another from that night

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 23, 2016

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Bottom Liner posted:

I've been getting into night photography a lot lately. This is one of my favorites, though I wish I had more room to shoot the boat more towards the left of the frame to center the cluster of Milky Way, but there were a lot of trees on the right.

I'm with you on the astrophotography. I'm curious are you staking images to get such a good shot of the milky way? If not, what are your settings for these shots? That second shot is absolutely amazing - well done.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

1 frame, 20mm 1.8, 8 seconds at 3200 for those. The key is to find really dark skies and clear nights near or on a new moon. Patience, basically. I use Darksitefinder.com. I actually wrote a guide on my Milky Way shooting and post processing here http://www.lightroomzen.com/blog/2016/2/10/milky-way-astrophotography-tutorial

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

1 frame, 20mm 1.8, 8 seconds at 3200 for those. The key is to find really dark skies and clear nights near or on a new moon. Patience, basically. I use Darksitefinder.com. I actually wrote a guide on my Milky Way shooting and post processing here http://www.lightroomzen.com/blog/2016/2/10/milky-way-astrophotography-tutorial

Is 8 seconds really as long as you can go without getting startrails? Seems a shame to have to go to 3200 ISO.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
No, you can go longer, the odds of you getting camera shake go up dramtically the longer you go though. All it takes is you moving a bit on soft ground to ruin your shot.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
You're taking long exposure shots without a tripod? :psyduck:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Is 8 seconds really as long as you can go without getting startrails? Seems a shame to have to go to 3200 ISO.

That night was pretty windy and I was actually on a floating dock. With the 20mm I can go up 25 seconds with no trails, but only with good solid ground. Also, the d750 looks fine at 3200 honestly. I've done a 48x48 print of the Milky Way at ISO 8000 and it looks great.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Spedman posted:

You're taking long exposure shots without a tripod? :psyduck:

No of course not. On soft dirt shifting your weight can move the ground. It can happen on timber platforms too as they flex from people moving on them.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Lauterbrunnen by Tom Olson, on Flickr

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Redland Bay by A Saucy Bratwurst, on Flickr

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 23, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I like this a lot!

Bottom Liner posted:

These too!

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Mortimer Forest, Shropshire

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Landscape!

DSC03043 by Enver Hoxha, on Flickr

DSC03001 by Enver Hoxha, on Flickr

DSC03030 by Enver Hoxha, on Flickr

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 23, 2016

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

A Handed Missus posted:

Landscape!

DSC03043 by Enver Hoxha, on Flickr

DSC03001 by Enver Hoxha, on Flickr

DSC03030 by Enver Hoxha, on Flickr

These look awesome with really fine detail. Didn't see info on the one I checked... What did you shoot with?

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Opioid posted:

These look awesome with really fine detail. Didn't see info on the one I checked... What did you shoot with?

Danke.

They were shot with a Sony A5000. Which is currently my first and only camera.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Verkhovna Rada by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Soviet Modernism by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Hidden Temple by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Dark Skies by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Helen posted:

Dark Skies by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Dope.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

The Wound by Jason Martin, on Flickr

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

For all your shitposting this is pretty good

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

HookShot posted:

I like this a lot!

Suicide Watch posted:

For all your shitposting this is pretty good

Thanks!

I consider my posting an art.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Caringbah by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

you been to the old glass factory/warehouse at williamstown?