Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

its just not the same without the conviction behind the words :(

this one always makes me laugh

The rural people I'm friends with from my mom's side of the families hometown share tons of "comment AMEN if you agree!" stuff. So much is clearly fake too yet they share it all anyway all the while disputing the accuracy of things like scientific journals or any kind of political fact that disagrees with their world view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
hit like if you love jesus, keep scrolling if you love satan!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

He needs a tail and horns.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

ded posted:

He needs a tail and horns.

No, just a subtle yet tasteful birthmark.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Silly lady, everyone knows the best contraception method isn't taken orally, it's taken rectally.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Wild T posted:

Silly lady, everyone knows the best contraception method isn't taken orally, it's taken rectally.

Your mom reports excellent results with performing both at the same time

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Zeris posted:

That's :vince:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Zeris posted:

That's a top-rope comment, right there.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I feel like I need to see a SARC now. Goddamn :lol:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A kid at my church just took the asvab got a 94 and signed a contract for whatever mos is the marines MP equivalent. He's kinda clueless about the whole thing.

He's totally hosed right?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Double-hosed, I assume. Does he even want to be a cop?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm sure its the same in the Corps, and obviously your kid is pretty bright. Explain to him that the DUMBEST 31 on the Asvab mouth breathing mother loving neanderthrals take that job. It is one of the lowest, if not lowest, intellectual capacity requirement jobs in the military. He will be surrounded by *insert who he hates the most JOCKS etc* stereotype

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I tried I tried and I feel bad about it. I didn't even know he was thinking about it because he's a gawky goofy kid still in high school.
Don't think he can change his mind now that he has a shipdate and contract.
I thought recruiters got bonuses for signing hard to fill contracts.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the one good deed i ever did was talk my friends brother out of swearing in at meps the day he was suppose to ship out. kid was in the fuckin room and everything when he was like nah

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I can't speak for the USMC but to my knowledge any bonuses like that went away.

And yeah, good luck, if you try to talk him out of it he'll probably just do it to spite you. Write down a list of "why this is stupid," let him read it, then seal it and throw it in a file cabinet. If he doesn't go full retard and love the corps and expresses how much he hates it, pull it back out for ultimate "i told you so" dad ownage

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

the one good deed i ever did was talk my friends brother out of swearing in at meps the day he was suppose to ship out. kid was in the fuckin room and everything when he was like nah

haha, I had a girl do that. It's a HUGE deal. I couldn't even be mad at her though. I mean if you're not sure I'd rather you back out then hate the next few years. My bosses really didn't like it though :)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

haha, I had a girl do that. It's a HUGE deal.

i had someone do that when i was swearing in, what happens once they leave the room? we passed them on the way to the bus and they were getting yelled at while they slumped in an office chair and cried

it was lol as hell

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Holy crap try to talk him into something like intel, sigint, or comm. If he can get a data comm job he'll pick up sergeant in less than three years and be able to get an IT job pretty much anywhere he wants. If he can pass a DLAB he can go through hell in the best CONUS base a Marine can go to and learn a language and high-demand sigint skills.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i had someone do that when i was swearing in, what happens once they leave the room? we passed them on the way to the bus and they were getting yelled at while they slumped in an office chair and cried

it was lol as hell

almost everyone involved will lose any dignity they had and beg the person to reconsider. Recruiter or his first line can expect a personal call from at least BN CSM bitching you out for the whims of a teenager

in the scheme of things, for the kid at least, its not a huge deal. It's not even really a big deal after the day it happens as far as USAREC is concerned. It just is a -1 to years total. USAREC is day by day organization its really dumb. If a kid wants to dep loss its just a single form they have to sign, or not if the kid straight up ghosts on you. I filled them out a lot. DEP losses suck no matter what but DAY 0 (on ship day) are just extra special because its pretty unexpected by that point. BN OPs would send out daily reports of what happened at meps each day, so you could see who took losses for what, whether its their first physical or shipping or whatever. It was a highlight of my day to read that and laugh at all the recruiters that would be getting pounded in the rear end that day.

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 23, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HCT you were a recruiter right? He hasn't shipped so he CAN change his mind, correct?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

HCT you were a recruiter right? He hasn't shipped so he CAN change his mind, correct?

correct

USMC loving brainwashes those dudes before they even sign up from what I've seen.

Was N4A the USMC recruiter? He can probably say more USMC specific poo poo, but from what I've seen its pretty uniform across the branches as far as the applicant is concerned.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

haha, I had a girl do that. It's a HUGE deal. I couldn't even be mad at her though. I mean if you're not sure I'd rather you back out then hate the next few years. My bosses really didn't like it though :)
Better than flying down to Basic and then explaining to everyone that you're going to fail your drug test.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Casimir Radon posted:

Better than flying down to Basic and then explaining to everyone that you're going to fail your drug test.

What about the kid that comes back from basic and tells everyone, even the office full of recruiters who have obviously know things about Basic, that he got "peered out"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What about the kid that comes back from basic and tells everyone, even the office full of recruiters who have obviously know things about Basic, that he got "peered out"
I had to look that up because I'd never heard of it before.

We had a guy sent down and he was almost all the way through when they figure out he's got a permanently disqualifying congenital eye condition. We weren't sure if he qualified for benefits or not because they didn't catch it sooner and it wasn't his fault. Kind of shame since he seemed really smart, and the next person they try to slot in there probably won't be.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

correct

USMC loving brainwashes those dudes before they even sign up from what I've seen.

Was N4A the USMC recruiter? He can probably say more USMC specific poo poo, but from what I've seen its pretty uniform across the branches as far as the applicant is concerned.

I'll see if he can go for Intel still. I've known his family for 20 years and even if he's an idiot they have always been good to me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Was N4A the USMC recruiter?

I think that's the poster formerly known as Hekk, so yeah. He doesn't post much since I think he's out on a boat these days, or in Japan or something.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

my favorite part of the story is when his recruiter had to drive him back home and she was loving livid. this was like 6 or 7 years ago its all kinda hazy now, but last i heard he was unemployed after he quit his job at home depot, and hed been working there since he backed out. so job well done on my part

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Casimir Radon posted:

I had to look that up because I'd never heard of it before.

We had a guy sent down and he was almost all the way through when they figure out he's got a permanently disqualifying congenital eye condition. We weren't sure if he qualified for benefits or not because they didn't catch it sooner and it wasn't his fault. Kind of shame since he seemed really smart, and the next person they try to slot in there probably won't be.

ah sorry, its only ever seen in the Special Forces selection process, people that don't fit in, not team players, huge dicks like that. Nothing like that would ever exist in Basic so it was obvious bullshit.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
There's other courses you can get "peered out" in but your peer evaluations have to be really loving bad for it to effect you usually.

OCS, ABOLC, and ARC all had peer evaluations that could get you recycled/dropped but the chances of that were ridiculously low. You pretty much had to have everyone in your squad mark "would not want to serve with this individual in combat" for them to drop the person. I only saw it happen once.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
were talking about enlisted things sir

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mustang posted:

There's other courses you can get "peered out" in but your peer evaluations have to be really loving bad for it to effect you usually.

OCS, ABOLC, and ARC all had peer evaluations that could get you recycled/dropped but the chances of that were ridiculously low. You pretty much had to have everyone in your squad mark "would not want to serve with this individual in combat" for them to drop the person. I only saw it happen once.

I should say "the only course that you ever actually see anyone get peered out of"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

We're peering Mustang out of the thread

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Didn't every nerd on this subforum score a 90-something on the ASVAB?

Convince him to go infantry or not at all.

The MPs I saw on deployments just babysat detainees. Grunt poo poo isn't awesome (nothing is) but at least the highlights are a little better than a daily struggles to communicate "PLEASE DONT SPRAY poo poo ALL OVER THE PORTAPOTTY WHEN YOU SQUAT OVER THE HOLE"

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Victor Vermis posted:

It's ok even infantry get sent to do detainee ops. If you want to keep this kid out of the MP's explain what babysitting a colostitute is like. You know, the guys with the ostomy holes who rent it out for favors from the other detainees. I think I had more fun in 2003 with soft vehicles and sandbags jackstrapped to the sides than anyone I know who did detainee ops. Or the poor bastards at the cob/fob gates who search all the TCN's on the way in and out.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

LingcodKilla posted:

A kid at my church just took the asvab got a 94 and signed a contract for whatever mos is the marines MP equivalent. He's kinda clueless about the whole thing.

He's totally hosed right?

This reminds me, someone I work with (civilian) told me he got a 9 when he tested. I did not skip a digit. I didn't know that was even possible.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

As Nero Danced posted:

This reminds me, someone I work with (civilian) told me he got a 9 when he tested. I did not skip a digit. I didn't know that was even possible.

Yeah my wife has a cousin like that. He's a E4 in the army now. Mortarman assistant or some such. Got waivers up the wazoo when he first went in but he loves the life and reupped.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah my wife has a cousin like that. He's a E4 in the army now. Mortarman assistant or some such. Got waivers up the wazoo when he first went in but he loves the life and reupped.

My recruiter drove me and one other dude to the test. I got a 99 and the other dude didnt get a score high enough to qualify for anything in the USAF

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

My recruiter drove me and one other dude to the test. I got a 99 and the other dude didnt get a score high enough to qualify for anything in the USAF

how did I know this was coming as soon as I read the word asvab

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Victor Vermis posted:

Didn't every nerd on this subforum score a 90-something on the ASVAB?

The MPs I saw on deployments just babysat detainees. Grunt poo poo isn't awesome (nothing is) but at least the highlights are a little better than a daily struggles to communicate "PLEASE DONT SPRAY poo poo ALL OVER THE PORTAPOTTY WHEN YOU SQUAT OVER THE HOLE"

89. Close enough. That was years after high school though.

I also failed my piss test at MEPS.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

You could score a perfect ASVAB test, you're still a retard for joining the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Wild T posted:

You could score a perfect ASVAB test, you're still an idiot for joining the military.