Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

IronicDongz posted:

we came in 9th :toot: and I came 27th in individual players!

now back to getting greatplayer.

Glad the rest of Crawl of Duty picked up my slack. I burnt myself out early in the tournament after the one really good 15 runer.

Maybe for the next tourny I'll learn some patience and we'll crack top 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Same, I couldn't muster much in the way of motivation after the Nemelex win. Tried a handful more times but never really got off the ground enough. Did learn some more things of early game and classes I don't start with often, though.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Finished with 5 wins and a 4-streak (OgSu ^TSO (15), TrSk^Ely, HuBe, HOAK) for 50th place.

In the last game I kind of forgot that Depths existed so I was being way more leisurely than I should have been. Then I panicked from having so little time, especially after several attempts to get the "free" abyssal rune didn't work out. (Gong + abyss + rushing is not a good combo, even with Lugonu). Then I dove Shoals for it instead (had done Snake/Slime) which worked much better, and used mapping through Zot and a few Depths levels. In Zot:5 I was mashing as fast as I could, and the dozen+orbs of fire did not help - eventually I just had to haste and try to walk past them, then corrupt, then find more. I ended up in the orb chamber and *tele booted me to the other lung next to it, so I couldn't get onto the orb without killing a bunch of guardians - I forgot I had a spare distortion axe which had been very useful in similar situations in Snake. managed to stand on the orb, then desperately quaff hw, pick up the orb, and enter the abyss. Thankfully I had put in a ton of experience to get Regeneration castable in my plate, as I used every single recharge scroll on my haste/hw wands. Finished with 5 minutes to spare, speed is never my strong point!

This was my first tournament in forever not getting the Ash III banner (find 17 runes), due to Swamp not existing. Also missed Yred III (72 uniques) despite getting most of the rare ones - missed Fannar, Grum, Joseph, Khufu, Natasha, Purgy, Tiamat, Vashnia, the Lernaean hydra.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I can't believe I got 69 uniques but never saw Jessica, Harold or Gastronok.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
My team with a collection of IRC friends, Sweet Xom and Hella Trog, came in 77th place, and I came in 277th place as our top scorer with two wins :tem:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Darox posted:

I can't believe I got 69 uniques but never saw Jessica, Harold or Gastronok.
I only missed Tiamat, as fuckin usual

checked on IRC and over my whole crawl career of 48 wins, I have only killed tiamat 6 times. and I basically always clear out all of zot.
3x Zot:2 (2x 26 (MiFi, GhGl), 27 (MiFi)), 2x Zot:4 (2x 27 (DsSk, MfSk)), Zot:1 (25 (HOGl))
what a fucker unique

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

I only missed Tiamat, as fuckin usual

checked on IRC and over my whole crawl career of 48 wins, I have only killed tiamat 6 times. and I basically always clear out all of zot.
3x Zot:2 (2x 26 (MiFi, GhGl), 27 (MiFi)), 2x Zot:4 (2x 27 (DsSk, MfSk)), Zot:1 (25 (HOGl))
what a fucker unique

Tiamat, Murray, Ignacio & Dissolution are all impossible to find. I don't think I have more than 3 kills for any of them.
It's a shame because Tiamat also carries a unique cloak that only ever spawns with her.

e: You'd think at least Ignacio would be easier because you go through dozens of pan levels in a game, but he never shows up.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I actually got all the others, but just because I did extended so many times and one of them it took me like 47 pan floors for demonic rune to spawn

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

UberJew posted:

My team with a collection of IRC friends, Sweet Xom and Hella Trog, came in 77th place, and I came in 277th place as our top scorer with two wins :tem:

Our only two wins, you mean. I somehow came in 812 / 3415 with a win/loss of 0/45. How.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Has there ever been discussion of adding completely optional ultimate bosses? Similar to the "Weapon" bosses in Final Fantasy games. There could be a branch/vault with uniques who are Tiamat's strength or more, and the game will make it very clear that they are not to be taken lightly.

Or maybe just a floor that is filled with all the uniques that weren't spawned elsewhere.

e: I guess this is sort of what Pan/Hell lords are. I'll go to bed now.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 23, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
well, that's pretty much what-

jerkstoresup posted:

e: I guess this is sort of what Pan/Hell lords are. I'll go to bed now.
:v:

A unique rush floor somewhere in extended would be cool though. Maybe that could be a special zig floor or something, just throw all the non-lord uniques(maybe the lords too) at the player at once regardless of whether they've spawned or not.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Speaking of banners & uniques, Vow of Courage I is "kill Sigmund before depths". I know that in ages past, Sigmund could show up at points way past his usual early dungeon locations (I've met in him Vaults:7 before) but is it actually still possible for him to do that? Or is it just a cute addition to make it fit with the higher tiers of VoC.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I saw all the uniques at least once but I've never seen the Lernaean hydra.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 23, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Darox posted:

Speaking of banners & uniques, Vow of Courage I is "kill Sigmund before depths". I know that in ages past, Sigmund could show up at points way past his usual early dungeon locations (I've met in him Vaults:7 before) but is it actually still possible for him to do that? Or is it just a cute addition to make it fit with the higher tiers of VoC.

it's not before Depths, but I found a weird vault in Lair during the tournament that had Sigmund, Natasha, and a bunch of other early uniques in it. It was silly fun.

lordfrikk posted:

I saw all the uniques at least once but I've never seen the Learnaenan hydra.

Call yourself lucky then. I hit a bad streak in the middle of the tournament where all I was doing was dying to the Lernaean Hydra on Swamp:4.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Darox posted:

basically the latter, with a vague nod to the idea of not being so insanely overleveled that he's not even a challenge. but, mostly the latter.

RIP, that one vault...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

lordfrikk posted:

I saw all the uniques at least once but I've never seen the Lernaean hydra.
That seems really unlucky(lucky?), I think lerny's part of some swamp 4 endvaults even.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Just change it to "Kill Sigmund before entering Dungeon: 5"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

IronicDongz posted:

That seems really unlucky(lucky?), I think lerny's part of some swamp 4 endvaults even.

It's unlucky because he always gets Shoals instead.

FR: make swamp and spider as scary as shoals and snake

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Doesn't it only spawn in certain swamp runevaults? I've never seen a lernaean hydra spawn outside of the runevaults that contain it.

e:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's unlucky because he always gets Shoals instead.

FR: make swamp and spider as scary as shoals and snake
This doesn't need to happen because spider and swamp are already bullshit and much harder than their counterpart if you are the wrong kind of character. Shoals doesn't have hydras or plant monsters, snake doesn't have orb spiders or ghost moths or jumping spiders or entropy weavers or tarantulas.

Darox fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 23, 2016

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Sorry for the lack of wins this tournament, team. Came close a couple of times but splatted them in zigs.

I did play enough to confirm that, yep, everything I thought about the rMut changes is correct. Can we please just revert rMut removal or make enemies inflict temporary muts or something?

Starkwheat
Feb 27, 2012
Solid tournament for me. Eight victories and just as many late splats with more than one rune. Pictures of Ru managed to squeeze a 24th place, which was a pleasant surprise.

LogicNinja posted:

I did play enough to confirm that, yep, everything I thought about the rMut changes is correct. Can we please just revert rMut removal or make enemies inflict temporary muts or something?

I completely agree with this sentiment. While patch 0.18 had a lot of good calls, such as reworking The Abyss, I had to grind myself through late-game branches more than once. It feels a bit counter-productive to scum around for any cMuts.
Ignoring the mutations, there seems to be an excellent balance between difficulty and fair deaths.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Darox posted:

This doesn't need to happen because spider and swamp are already bullshit and much harder than their counterpart if you are the wrong kind of character. Shoals doesn't have hydras or plant monsters, snake doesn't have orb spiders or ghost moths or jumping spiders or entropy weavers or tarantulas.

It's funny you say that, because (from the depths of my inexperience), I always find Shoals and Snake to be harder.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Which Lair branch is easiest is always determined by my equipment. Don't have rPois then I guess shoals is the only one I will risk. No rElec or rf+ means putting off snake for a good bit. I won't even touch spider without sInv. Shoals is trivialized with a shield, reflection, and MR.

If all resists are accounted for a would say the two water branches are easiest. Spider is probably the one I fear most.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Darox posted:

What kind of character is that, though? I'm not as scared of spider+swamp as shoals+snake with a buff melee dude, or a stabby enchanter dude, or even a blasty caster on the rare times I play those. I'm especially not ever scared of hydras at all by the time I'm doing lair branches, or orb spiders which crumple and die vs. any ranged attack. The only exception is ghost moths, but if you have a few invis potions you're fine.

With or without rPois shoals is scarier than swamp/spider and usually snake. The only equipment that changes how I feel about shoals in a major way is evocable invis since most things in shoals don't see invis, but also most things in spider and swamp don't.

Starkwheat posted:

I completely agree with this sentiment. While patch 0.18 had a lot of good calls, such as reworking The Abyss, I had to grind myself through late-game branches more than once. It feels a bit counter-productive to scum around for any cMuts.
Ignoring the mutations, there seems to be an excellent balance between difficulty and fair deaths.
I feel like after this tourny, where I got six 15 rune wins, I can say pretty confidently that I don't like how mutations work without rMut and don't think playing without rMut presents interesting decisions. They just make me do things like go zin to cure all muts after doing pan or go through the early floors of zigs to get cure mut potions.

Malmutate just loving sucks and making players deal with that hassle more isn't fun.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 23, 2016

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Update on my still-not-dead VSNe. I found artifact double sword of speed in Orc so I switched to Long Blades. Too bad it's an artifact, though, because I have 10 scrolls of enchant weapon :psyduck: Also got amulet of mana regeneration and Maxwell's etheric cage. Still haven't decided if I want to pain brand a quick blade (that I've yet to find) or get Necronomicon. Also, Death Channeling is really good you guys.

E: up to +6 slaying

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

LogicNinja posted:

Sorry for the lack of wins this tournament, team. Came close a couple of times but splatted them in zigs.

Your zig ghost with silence almost got me killed :argh:

Realized during tourney there's a lot of stuff I don't know how to play. What's a good background to try out Dithmenos with, I know like nothing about how to play him

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

What kind of character is that, though? I'm not as scared of spider+swamp as shoals+snake with a buff melee dude, or a stabby enchanter dude, or even a blasty caster on the rare times I play those. I'm especially not ever scared of hydras at all by the time I'm doing lair branches, or orb spiders which crumple and die vs. any ranged attack. The only exception is ghost moths, but if you have a few invis potions you're fine.

With or without rPois shoals is scarier than swamp/spider and usually snake. The only equipment that changes how I feel about shoals in a major way is evocable invis since most things in shoals don't see invis, but also most things in spider and swamp don't.
Shoals versus Swamps isn't a good comparison because Shoals is generally the worst and Swamp the easiest, but Swamp can be a hassle if you encounter the plant monsters, you have no rPois and meet swamp dragons, or you meet any spriggan druid and can't obliterate it quickly. The plant monsters are individually harder than any other lair monster imo and druids turn any situation bad ridiculously fast with their summoning. Shoals enemies also have basically no resistance to anything across the board, which is nice for blasters compared to Swamps monster list.

Spider is filled with debuffs and everything is lightning fast, in Snake half the dangerous enemies are slow and the only debuff is poison. Snake sucks for hexers but otherwise I generally don't have many problems with it. Snake does have Vashnia though, who is Mara-tier for frightening uniques.

It is hard to judge though, since you can't do Spider & Snake or Swamp & Shoals in the same game. I'd generally say from easiest to hardest it's Swamp > Spider > Snake > Shoals but the first two do have some nasty curveballs that their counterparts lack.

e:

lordfrikk posted:

Update on my still-not-dead VSNe. I found artifact double sword of speed in Orc so I switched to Long Blades. Too bad it's an artifact, though, because I have 10 scrolls of enchant weapon :psyduck: Also got amulet of mana regeneration and Maxwell's etheric cage. Still haven't decided if I want to pain brand a quick blade (that I've yet to find) or get Necronomicon. Also, Death Channeling is really good you guys.

Don't get the Necronomicon IMO. It's reasonably common and all the spells are hard to use until lategame, while a good pain branded weapon is incredibly rare and super strong early game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Spider became considerably more dangerous with the addition of spark wasps and entropy weavers.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Darox posted:

It is hard to judge though, since you can't do Spider & Snake or Swamp & Shoals in the same game. I'd generally say from easiest to hardest it's Swamp > Spider > Snake > Shoals but the first two do have some nasty curveballs that their counterparts lack.
I think we basically agree, then! My opinion is largely that Swamp is the easiest and Shoals is the hardest, which is goofy because it's one or the other of those two-so either you get the easiest or the hardest. Swamp having individual things that can be scary doesn't change that, because all the other branches also have things that can be scary. I think it'd be more 'balanced' if you got either swamp/spider and snake/shoals, but that depends on how important you think the theming of always getting 1 'water' branch is(I think not that important).

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 23, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

One on one, the most dangerous non-unique snake & shoals monsters are much easier than the ones from swamp & spider though. That does have some weight, because you can't split apart a group of one.

I agree with the Swamp v Spider & Snake v Shoals split. It even works mechanically for Snake & Shoals, they are both very heavy on ranged attacks.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

we came in 9th :toot: and I came 27th in individual players!

now back to getting greatplayer.

Congrats, as well as congrats to every other Crawl of Duty member! Maybe next tournament I won't have a drowning death and then give up playing seriously while also slacking off to play DOOM instead :v:

I'm inspired to make some vaults for the rare uniques so they (potentially) show up mode often, but I should probably go back to work on that central auth thing first now that I don't have the tournament as an excuse.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Darox posted:

Don't get the Necronomicon IMO. It's reasonably common and all the spells are hard to use until lategame, while a good pain branded weapon is incredibly rare and super strong early game.

I breezed through the Lair branches and cleared Depths, though. If I got quick blade I'd probably chosen that already. I also got rapier of speed and rapier of flaming (goddammit I wish I got this many weapons on actual stabbed character).

Next I got some questions that someone might be able to answer. What's the current state of Ukayaw and Heplaklqana? Are they being considered for inclusion? What happened to Lava Orc and Djinni? Were they considered dumb/uninteresting/broken/other? I stopped playing right after they were introduced and only got to play a few games with them then forgot about them until now.

With regards to the current branch chat, I wouldn't mind seeing some more alternate branches, was there ever any plan to add something?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Lava Orc and Djinni were both kinda broken and didn't make it very far.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

MiFi steps up to a corner in a hallway.
pre:
  3432 | D:4      | Noticed Sigmund
  3432 | D:4      | Noticed Duvessa
  3432 | D:4      | Noticed Dowan
Welp, time to drink a pot of might and quaff-ID some other potions. Let's see, heal wounds, curing, agility, lignification.
pre:
  3445 | D:4      | Killed Duvessa
  3455 | D:4      | Killed Dowan
  3469 | D:4      | Killed Sigmund
There's been 6 uniques on D:4 so far, along with a sewer. Is this normal? (on .17, because I can't be assed to update on my work computer)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

lordfrikk posted:

Get yourself a +9 blowgun, friend.

Unless you want to save those scrolls for the theoretical future quickblade.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

UberJew posted:

I got my first ever rune during the tourney as a MiFi on this team but then I got pasted in Vault 1 because I didn't know boggarts could summon and I panicked and forgot all my tele scrolls and poo poo. :shittydog:

EDIT: TrMo is fun too. Cast ruk.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 23, 2016

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Apologies to the other members of Lean Mean Purple Eating Machine - real life reared its ugly head and I barely had a chance to play at all until the last few days. I also splatted a couple characters that should have easily ascended due to excessive alcohol consumption while playing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Re: branches. Just play gargoyle problem solved. rPois for swamp/snake/spider? Try poison immune my friend. Crappy water tiles getting you down? Flight at XL14 chum. Ironically when I went through my gargoyle kick I think spider (for debuffs) and snake (lack of corners/corridors) were the most scary. Ants can be good at spider/snake though with the digging. If you're not murderholing at the drop of a hat you're playing ant wrong.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Speaking of branches, do either of spider or swamp have no int damage? I found an otherwise great randart amulet that puts my intelligence at 2 (Gourmand, rPois, +Fly, rC++, int -4). Lair end had brain worms so I worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Not normally, but there's one swamp end which has demons in it which might contain demons which drain int. You're unlikely to get it though and I think it's mostly green deaths/orange demons/thrashing horrors

• Locked thread