Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Looking at the Piper Alpha story and thinking about fire at sea brought up this memory from USN boot camp: the classic Trial By Fire, about the USS Forrestal and the horrendous fire onboard during Vietnam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGwoHyUvOqI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

A colleague of mine used to work with the guy who was duty control manager on Tartan during the incident, and he confirms that after Claymore requested permission to shut down he was directly instructed to keep pumping gas across to Piper Alpha as it burned.

was this a case of management not understanding what was happening or of 'lets get as much oil through before we reaaaally have to stop

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

I watched the Hillsborough 30 for 30 last night thanks to this thread, which lead to me asking Facebook for upsetting documentaries, which led to me watching Dear Zachary today. I have been :smith: ing around for a couple of hours now. What other horrible poo poo from this thread has been made into a documentary? When find time I'll watch the Paradise Lost series.

On a football theme, I had never heard of the Heysel Stadium disaster until Youtube autoplayed this documentary after the Piper Alpha one.

The UEFA cup final in 1985 went ahead, despite 39 people being crushed and killed in fights between Liverpool and Juventus fans not 3 hours before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44xynnPXmAE

I've had a happy morning's watching!

Rondette has a new favorite as of 14:49 on May 22, 2016

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Milgram experiments are among the reasons the U.S. now requires Institutional Review Boards, because experimental subjects need to know what they're signing up for, and the experiments should not pose risks (psychological or physical) to participants unless they have clearly been warned of those risks.

tl;dr: Psychology researchers have no business scarring their subjects for life.

I have a strong memory of an article from a few years back where a bunch of psychologists were interviewed and asked: if you could run any psychological experiment, without worrying about ethics or subjects' well-being, what would it be? The answers were really interesting in the sense of "wow yeah that's horrible, but it would teach us a lot about the human psyche!" but I've never been able to find that article since...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

was this a case of management not understanding what was happening or of 'lets get as much oil through before we reaaaally have to stop

Neither. Shutting down the pipeline was expensive, and it wouldn't have saved Piper Alpha at that point. It maybe wouldn't even have saved any lives. But it certainly made the fire worse.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Patattack posted:

I have a strong memory of an article from a few years back where a bunch of psychologists were interviewed and asked: if you could run any psychological experiment, without worrying about ethics or subjects' well-being, what would it be? The answers were really interesting in the sense of "wow yeah that's horrible, but it would teach us a lot about the human psyche!" but I've never been able to find that article since...

It wasn't this one, was it?

http://www.wired.com/2011/07/ff_swr/

That reminded me of this, anyway.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Rondette posted:

On a football theme, I had never heard of the Heysel Stadium disaster until Youtube autoplayed this documentary after the Piper Alpha one.

The UEFA cup final in 1985 went ahead, despite 39 people being crushed and killed in fights between Liverpool and Juventus fans not 3 hours before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44xynnPXmAE

I've had a happy morning's watching!

Speaking as a life long Juventus fan with a lot of family in Italy, this is still brought up today and is pretty fresh in the mind of a lot of fans. They're still building memorials to this very day, I'm pretty sure the last one was less than two or three years ago.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Patattack posted:

That's a really neat question, actually.

"Can one induce a coma in another human being using LSD and random civilians, asking certain civilian to approach the affected patient randomly throughout the day telling him to 'wake up'. Of course, these people would have to be complete strangers to the patient."

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It wasn't this one, was it?

http://www.wired.com/2011/07/ff_swr/

That reminded me of this, anyway.

I believe that's the one! Thank you for ending my search!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
So many possibilities in the nature vs. nurture field. Separate a whole bunch of identical twins at birth. Take the babies of gay parents and raise some of them in fundamentalist households and some in Christian households. Swap the babies of poor people and rich people, or black people and white people. Etc.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Speaking as a life long Juventus fan with a lot of family in Italy, this is still brought up today and is pretty fresh in the mind of a lot of fans. They're still building memorials to this very day, I'm pretty sure the last one was less than two or three years ago.

Similarly everyone in Belgium, even those that weren't born when this happened and don't care about football, knows about this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pookel posted:

So many possibilities in the nature vs. nurture field. Separate a whole bunch of identical twins at birth. Take the babies of gay parents and raise some of them in fundamentalist households and some in Christian households. Swap the babies of poor people and rich people, or black people and white people. Etc.

I heard about an experiment some ancient culture did to try and find the "language of the gods" or something where they isolated a few newborn babies and kept them from having any human contact once they were old enough to feed themselves. No one ever spoke to or around them. Don't know if it was true or not, but that sounds like a fun one to do!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It sort of adds a context to why people at the time might have initially been less than sympathetic towards the victims of Hillsborough. Football safety in the Eighties was really hosed up. See also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEl8PEsH4xQ

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I heard about an experiment some ancient culture did to try and find the "language of the gods" or something where they isolated a few newborn babies and kept them from having any human contact once they were old enough to feed themselves. No one ever spoke to or around them. Don't know if it was true or not, but that sounds like a fun one to do!

That was Frederick II Hohenstaufen, Holy Roman Emperor, Stupor Mundi (Wonder of the World). He also was excommunicated for going on a crusade, and had a crusade called against him.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

pookel posted:

Swap the babies of poor people and rich people, or black people and white people. Etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjDbJQKDXCY

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Solice Kirsk posted:

Supposedly, it's happened a few times: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_deprivation_experiments

And that page sent me to this much more depressing one, about similar experiments with monkeys. It's probably been linked here before: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_of_despair

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Patattack posted:

I believe that's the one! Thank you for ending my search!

No problem, I knew that sounded familiar...

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

A long time ago, somebody posted a PDF that contained a transcription of a murderer's statement to the police. I remember it was very shocking and depressing. The guy, who had an impalement fetish or some terrible poo poo, lured a young girl (I think it was some neighbor's daughter) inside his apartment, killed her, tried to dispose of her body (at some point he put it into the bath tub to drain blood I think) and got caught. Any idea what I'm talking about?

Mystic Stylez has a new favorite as of 19:28 on May 23, 2016

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

This also happens in modern day although mainly through neglect :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_(feral_child)

quote:

Genie (born April 18, 1957) is the pseudonym for a feral child who was a victim of severe abuse, neglect, and social isolation. Her circumstances are prominently recorded in the annals of linguistics and abnormal child psychology. When Genie was a baby her father concluded that she was severely mentally challenged, a view which intensified as she got older, causing him to dislike her and withhold care and attention. At approximately the time she reached the age of 20 months her father decided to keep her as socially isolated as possible, so from that time until she reached the age of 13 years and 7 months he kept her locked alone in a room. During this time he almost always kept her strapped to a child's toilet or bound her in a crib with her arms and legs completely immobilized, forbade anyone from interacting with her, provided her with almost no stimulation of any kind, and left her severely malnourished. The extent of Genie's isolation prevented her from being exposed to any significant amount of speech, and as a result she did not acquire language during childhood. Her abuse came to the attention of Los Angeles child welfare authorities on November 4, 1970.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rondette posted:

This also happens in modern day although mainly through neglect :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_(feral_child)

In this case though, it sounds like the children would be together, just isolated from adults, so hopefully that wouldn't just turn out a pack of feral children.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mystic Stylez posted:

A long time ago, somebody posted a PDF that contained a transcription of a murderer's statement to the police. I remember it was very shocking and depressing. The guy, who had an impalement fetish or some terrible poo poo, lured a young girl (I think it was some neighbor's daughter) inside his apartment, killed her, tried to dispose of her body (at some point he put it into the bath tub to drain blood I think) and got caught. Any idea what I'm talking about?

http://downloads.newsok.com/documents/Underwoodvideotapetranscript.pdf

Famous here because some people played EVE with him or some poo poo?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

I wish all guys with hosed-up serial killer tendencies could read this, because it's pretty clear how reality failed to live up to his fantasies.

ETA: This bit in particular.

pookel has a new favorite as of 21:45 on May 23, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nah it's just made the rounds a bunch. Him being a goon is a myth

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Welp. That's never going to leave my head.

Super professional agents though.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I got a little sick to my stomach trying to read that.

Duke of Flies
Jul 2, 2007

I croaked "Get Out"
Then I stood, and croaked "GET OUT"

Or... get in..
Soiled Meat
Hey, how about another local serial killer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Keyes
http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/article/fbi-suspected-serial-killer-keyes-strangled-dismembered-alaska-barista/2012/12/05/

Israel Keyes killed all across the US, but he wasn't caught until he kidnapped and murdered an 18 year-old barista here in Anchorage, AK. She was working the evening shift in a midtown coffee shack when he took her. He killed her the next day, took and used her debit card, and then left for two weeks on a cruise while her body was left in a shed. He didn't dispose of her remains until he took a photo of her corpse with a recent Anchorage Daily News paper to try and get a ransom out of her family.

He GOT the ransom too, but the police were able to track him through the withdrawals made as he fled across the southwest and made the arrest.

He was linked to as many as 11 other murder cases across the US (with more suspected, including some outside the country) as well as dozens of robberies to fund his killing. He was willing to confess to several initially, as covered in this article:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/08/nation/la-na-alaska-serial-killer-20121208/2

But the fucker eventually killed himself in the Anchorage prison in 2012.

He started a construction company up here in Anchorage called Keyes Construction that actually was fairly successful and visible. Pretty sure it's not around anymore, of course. Also, I regularly drive past the Common Grounds coffee shack poor Samantha Koenig was abducted from since it's on a major road here in midtown. I always wonder how the other girls feel working there these days and hope the owner sprung for some major security measures. :smith:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Yeah, that's the one, thanks. I remember it because I started reading like "Everybody has seen horrible poo poo in the internet, I bet this isn't that hosed up :smug:" and minutes later I wanted to loving throw up.

Mystic Stylez has a new favorite as of 22:43 on May 23, 2016

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

I'm mid-way through reading it and it went from general perversion to holy poo poo this is totally hosed up

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Westie posted:

I'm mid-way through reading it and it went from general perversion to holy poo poo this is totally hosed up

I knew this guy from another site and we ran in a lot of the same social circles. He always seemed perfectly nice, which makes me wonder how many other people can be hiding a secret like that. That poor little girl.

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!

I wonder what kind of medication was he taking that triggered all those hosed up fantasies.

Probablly bs to cover his rear end, but is such a thing even possible?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Jesus. Transcripts like that are what make me question whether I really want to go into court reporting, when all broadcast captioning has to deal with (I assume) is the occasional crazy-ranting politician. :smith:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Mystic Stylez posted:

Yeah, that's the one, thanks. I remember it because I started reading like "Everybody has seen horrible poo poo in the internet, I bet this isn't that hosed up :smug:" and minutes later I wanted to loving throw up.

Wow, had the same thought, "Eh, how bad can it be, the poo poo I've read and seen thanks to this thread, blah, blah blah..." and having read it, I feel seriously queasy. Man, kudos to those agents though. Goddamn.

subpar anachronism posted:

I knew this guy from another site and we ran in a lot of the same social circles. He always seemed perfectly nice, which makes me wonder how many other people can be hiding a secret like that. That poor little girl.

I had a thought like that too. There's a point in the interview where he mentions playing KoL in the wee hours and I did that for a while too, years ago, and it gave me another wave of queasiness wondering if any of the people I joked around with while on there were like him in real life. I talk to so many strangers through my job and probably just as many online and you just never know... :ohdear:
gently caress humanity & nuke the planet from orbit, I guess. :smith:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

subpar anachronism posted:

Karma Monkey posted:

I had a thought like that too. There's a point in the interview where he mentions playing KoL in the wee hours and I did that for a while too, years ago, and it gave me another wave of queasiness wondering if any of the people I joked around with while on there were like him in real life. I talk to so many strangers through my job and probably just as many online and you just never know... :ohdear:
gently caress humanity & nuke the planet from orbit, I guess. :smith:

It isn't about hiding secrets, it's about finding some kind of drive to live.
From what I gathered (I stopped reading around page 70 because I started tearing up) he was a really lonely, socially stunted guy who never had real gratification. Pornography gives that kind of gratification, and I think he said this in the transcript but if you watch enough porn you end up needing more to get off. It slowly eats at the way you think if you can't genuinely separate reality and fiction. It can happen to anyone given the right circumstances, and the internet is basically free exposure to all kind of hosed up fetishes. He seemed like a genuinely kind person who just got lost due to rejection and a lack of a real emotional outlet. Just my two cents, though.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

can i use this dudes social its just in here

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Related to the talk of NYC's potter's field a week or so ago, 192 Days As John Doe is about the work put into identifying those who die without a name. The site is formatted weirdly, but it's a nice shorter read.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

HORMELCHILI posted:

can i use this dudes social its just in here

do you really want to steal the identity of a dude in prison for halfway-chopping a ten year old's head off, though

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Re: hosed up oceanic incidents in the North Sea, it's a (multiple) repost for this thread but the Byford Dolphin incident always sticks with me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

Just a normal day at work until five people were vaporized.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

lmao is that transcript a joke? FBI agents asking if the murderer knows "jeremy daumer", theyre making him describe losing his vriginity, and just generally getting a kick out of talking to this guy rather than doing any sort of investigative questioning lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I imagine that loving with him gets you better answers later? Remember that they're in the room with a really disgusting guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HORMELCHILI posted:

lmao is that transcript a joke? FBI agents asking if the murderer knows "jeremy daumer", theyre making him describe losing his vriginity, and just generally getting a kick out of talking to this guy rather than doing any sort of investigative questioning lol

hang on lemme just investigatively question the man who is confessing to the crime because i need to investigate further to see who did it really