Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Schwartzcough posted:

Finally, a canon source of information on Sephiroth's showering habits!

Then you'd love the missions in Dirge of Cerberus where you play as the cat part of Cait Sith sneaking around facilities! No you wouldn't. No one would.

Dare achieved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like Zack and Cloud commiserating over being from so far out in the sticks mako is the only thing going. Makes me wonder what the world was like before Shinra started building reactors.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Glazius posted:

I like Zack and Cloud commiserating over being from so far out in the sticks mako is the only thing going. Makes me wonder what the world was like before Shinra started building reactors.

That's an interesting question. Shinra was nothing but an electric company originally. Wonder who first discovered Mako, and decided to look for good areas for Reactors?

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Silegna posted:

That's an interesting question. Shinra was nothing but an electric company originally. Wonder who first discovered Mako, and decided to look for good areas for Reactors?

Actually Shinra was originally a weapons company called Shinra Manufacturing Works before it discovered Mako and quickly switch the to fare more profitable venture.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Wow, Cloud's VA is better than I remember. He doesn't sound nearly as wooden and awkward as I remember him sounding in AC.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Zack and Cloud immediately hitting it off by poo poo-talking each other's hometowns is one of the best parts of this game and almost makes up for the lethal Gackt overdose.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Oxxidation posted:

Zack and Cloud immediately hitting it off by poo poo-talking each other's hometowns is one of the best parts of this game and almost makes up for the lethal Gackt overdose.

Zack interacting with most characters is the best part of this game, but absolutely him and Cloud actually work as the friends they were implied to be in FF7 and that's just great.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS

Pyrotoad posted:

Wow, Cloud's VA is better than I remember. He doesn't sound nearly as wooden and awkward as I remember him sounding in AC.

To be fair to Advent Children, Cloud was kinda dying of an incurable disease for most of the movie. Can't blame the guy for deciding he wouldn't really sound energetic or emotional too often.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Crisis Core kind of sort of falls into the "good dialogue, bad plot writing category" except sometimes its still bad dialogue. There are plenty of great moments like this one though. Having a real friendship built up makes the mind fucker of FF7 a bit more plausible.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lucky that he didn't mention he's dating banging a cart together for this flower girl from slums.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
I really wonder how much they are going to change the initial meeting with Aerith in the remake because that scene should be a TOTAL "What the gently caress is going on here" moment unless they just go "ancient powers!" *waves hands furiously* or ignore what they added to the Zack / Aerith relationship.

Edit: Also update incoming tomorrow. I think it will go far enough to have a strike for justice be made.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nashun posted:

I really wonder how much they are going to change the initial meeting with Aerith in the remake because that scene should be a TOTAL "What the gently caress is going on here" moment unless they just go "ancient powers!" *waves hands furiously* or ignore what they added to the Zack / Aerith relationship.

God willing it'll be this. Everything related to the FF7 EU needs to die.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Chapter 17: Ballad of the Fallen Angels

Having successfully eluded detection(mostly) Zack is now free to enter the Modeoheim Mako test reactor! And murder everyone because now sneaking isn’t needed because.

Music: The Skyscraper of Iron and Steel (from ''LAST ORDER FFVII'')

Of note is the red shirt G Attacker infantry color swap. They use fire and a gun, yawn. The boss fight from where we rescued Cissnei is now a completely regular schlub though! He’s now a G Smasher and lacks his unblockable special attack. Small note that we can steal Drain from them. Down to our left is an X-Potion but not much else. We’ll have to go down the right to move on.

Spear guy from the end of the road to Shinra Tower is also a normal enemy now going by G-Battler! Mute Shock is an accessory that adds silence. I will probably never use it!

Also these fuckers can use stop still. I hope you enjoy just standing around while you get punched.

Meteor Shots limit+Memory

Hey, we are actually getting Cloud’s limit right away!

Maybe the gun will be useful thanks to cutscene power!

Glad to be of help.

The power of SOLDIER…

Here comes the big one!

Meteor Shots is basically the Meteor Rain level 3 limit from FF7. It’s alright. It hits everything reasonably hard, but the multi-hit limits are generally better.

Angeal helps us mastery thievery. Something seems a bit off about this…

After a few more fights we get a save point(hint hint) and an elevator down to the next level. Check your gear and healing cause poo poo is about to get real.

Click to Watch. Recommended viewing!

Music: Melody of Resolution

You need me, Genesis, remember that. If you get rid of me, who’s going to stop the degradation?

drat, Genesis. You are looking rough. That degradation is so bad that it is even crawling into your outfit and sucking the color right out of it. For a nice touch I’ve never noticed before there is actually a slash in the back shoulder for the wing to come out of.

The Jenova Cells.

Today is upside down day. Now Zack is defending that poo poo heel Hollander.

Hollander tries to dash off off while the two guys that hate him are distracted. Cloud shows up out of nowhere and is actually useful. If only more Shinra goons took off their helmets.

Cloud! Good work.

Well, at least until chief goon of Shinra leverages his excess fat to launch Cloud off him

On the other hand maybe he should have kept the helmet on.

Not even Hojo knows. You’ll never find it!

Apparently at some point someone in Shinra actually sat down, looked over the work that Gast, Hojo, and Hollander did and went WHAT THE gently caress and stuffed Jenova in a place no one in the science department was aware of to keep the lunacy limited.

Genesis, that isn’t willingly accepting your fate. That’s throwing a tantrum on your way out the door because gently caress everyone else.

Cloud, go!

Music: A Beating Black Wing

With distractions out of the way the battle really starts kicking in. Zack seems to be a touch on the back foot though.

That’s never stopped Zack from being a badass though.

t
He does a sweet one hand backflip to get some room going for himself.

But in the end they just need to hug it out.

Finally, Zack puts that thick skull of his to use. Even a genetically modified monstrosity can’t take a hit like that lightly.

It’s go time!

-End Video-

Click for Boss Fight

I’m going to be honest, this one KIND of turned into a let down. Some luck can be blamed, but Genesis is just not that tough of a fight. The degradation must really must be doing a real number on him. He’s nothing like crazy cutscene form.

His special attack is surprisingly unflashy. He menacingly strides forward! His hand glows green!

Howl in terror, Shinra lapdogs!

Oh god feeeeathers.

Then he drains some MP and hits us with Curse so we can’t spin the DMW wheel until it is cleared out. It didn’t even damage me!

I get one last spin because it already started and, oh hello, Cissnei. Nice of you to break this fight over my knee.

Until this wears off Genesis is immune to magic damage.

Interestingly while he’s immune to magic damage, he’s not immune to picking up Poison from Venom Shock. It actually ticks pretty hard too. He’s got around 15,000 HP and is already down to 6400 from criticals. Each hit was doing almost 2,000.

Dark Energy is his other big attack.

Basically it fires three dumb fireballs in your general direction after all the flashy runes and stuff. I ended up just standing between two of them as they sailed by.

I tried to Fira him forgetting his magic immunity.

That wears off momentarily though and Genesis is down for the count.

Click to Watch

Well that was rather anti-climactic.

Now there we go. I knew we could trust your terrible skill in drama to make sure you didn’t go down THAT easily.

Where’s your honor?

If this world seeks my destruction…

And with that he just falls backwards off the railing. That’s not a great way to take the world with you.

RIP

Genesis…

Apparently even dying assholes can from a bond with Zack.

It was around this moment I realized to a certain extent we are playing Final Fantasy: Persona 7. Gotta grind those Social LInks.

Cool guys never look back at explosions murdered poetry nerds.

Music: March on the Frontier (from ''LAST ORDER FFVII'')

Hmm?

I guess this is the way to Modeoheim…

Zack is not a firm believer in the idea of staying in one place if you don’t know where your friends vanished off to.

Kunsel should probably be fired for espionage, or at least for sending classified information over poor mediums.

Welcome to Modeoheim proper! It’s actually pretty quaint. We make a sweep through the houses for an MP Plus, 3000 gil, and Blizzara.

Lazard continues to torture the english language when talking about distortions and shadows.

And here is our real target. Zack takes a selfie in front of the famous Modeo Bathhouse.

...Which is pretty loving run down and infested with giant beetles. I’m leaving such a bad review on Yelp.

Hmm...I’ll just listen to a few.

And by a few I mean 23.

A large majority of them are “Hey, are you open?” or people trying to make reservations when they are clearly not operating for business any more. A few other ones are interspersed though.

???: You still got “the package.” right? The deal’s still on even if your place ain’t open.

???: Sorry, but we have to move D-day. I’ll call you later.

I’m glad that the citizens of Terra are aware of the landing of Normandy and use it in their lingo. (Yes, I know that D-Day was a term before then :spergin: )

???: Looks like we won’t be able to pick up “the package.” Go ahead and get rid of it for me, will ya?

???: I’m sure you already know, but “the package” is on the trunk next to the stage.

Thanks unnecessary exposition man.

Up on the stage is a glowy red spot we can actually interact with even if we didn’t listen to all the messages.

Oh gently caress you I literally have 3 of these. Zack was wearing one on each arm and one on his, well, you can figure it out. Why was this such a big deal?

We find a bright green INTERACT WITH ME boiler handle that we’ll need in a bit.

Click to Watch

Zack wanders into the bathhouse proper.

Unfortunately there is a buddy waiting to greet him inside.

The excitingly named A-Griffon has a lot less HP than Genesis but he can pack a punch. He opens up on me with a Fira.

I fired back with a Meteor Shots thanks to luck!

Feather shots is aptly named. It can hit us multiple times for just under 300 damage each.

Maser is strangely a physical attack despite shooting a laser beam at us for 400ish damage.

Pressure is a down slam from the air that hocks us back, stuns us, and a fair chunk of damage to boot.

More masers!

Also can cast wall. It’s still not a HARD fight but it is actually about twice as long as Genesis. A-Griffon is pretty tanky.

It can even heal off drain! Though thanks to the DMW I have magic immunity at the moment.

Nice reward out of this! I don’t think I had a Cura yet.

-End Video-

An Angeal monster… Is the real Angeal here, too?

Apparently someone kept the electric on. The water is still hot and we can’t actually reach that chest out there at the moment.

A-Hounds have also been added to the encounter list from here on out. Basically Angeal reskinned Guard Hounds. These ones come packing poison which is kind of obnoxious.

When we go upstairs we find someone has been busting some skulls, and it isn’t our crew.

Ngh…

Cloud, talk to me!

We’re all right…

drat they even took out the actual competent one.

Tseng!

loving Hollander again. He has to have been juicing himself on Jenova or SOMETHING. This is getting ridiculous. Outruns Zack, throws off Cloud, then apparently takes out Cloud and a Turk.

Angeal is waiting for you…

Oh. Well, that could also explain it. Mine is funnier though.

Heightened emotions put both Cloud and Tseng at more likely to trigger on DMW.

Into the creepy basement! We find a Force Bracelet(+ 5 mag/spr)

Also we use our Resident Evil skills to insert the crank from earlier.

Which shuts off a ruptured steam generator with a Lightning Armlet inside HINT HINT

With the steam off we can backtrack to the bathhouse and grab this Dispel. Meh.

Here is our load out for...whatever is coming up! I could have actually doubled up on Lightning Armlet but I wanted to have some challenge!

And we are almost done with our trip to the great white north. Stay tuned for good news, everyone!

Nashun fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 22, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Genesis, I think you might be using too much bleach, buddy.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Once again, Genesis is basically proving himself the K-Mart brand attempt at being Sephiroth. He didn't even turn into a horrifying monstrosity or clearly religious symbolism form.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nashun posted:

http://i.imgur.com/XIxjkOy.webm
That’s never stopped Zack from being a badass though.

This one shows up broken in your post.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

Kheldarn posted:

This one shows up broken in your post.

Fixed. Must have changed that in my preview page and not my gdocs copy.

VVV also fixed. Off my game today.

Nashun fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 22, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I think you duplicated a pic here:

Nashun posted:

drat they even took out the actual competent one.

Tseng!

loving Hollander again. He has to have been juicing himself on Jenova or SOMETHING. This is getting ridiculous. Outruns Zack, throws off Cloud, then apparently takes out Cloud and a Turk.

And that was a pretty underwhelming fight with a guy who was shown going all DBZ in his fight with Sephiroth. The game has been going out of its way to emphasize that Genesis/Angeal/Sephiroth are on a whole other level from Zack.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Yeah. There really should have been an earlier fight or at least cut scene where we get our asses kicked or barely survive X amount of time while something else is happening. THEN have the final fight where it's kind of a let down but that's alright because it works with the story of Genesis being hosed up.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Honestly I think the best way to end Genesis would have been to have him on deaths door stumbling around muttering about how dramatic it all is.

And then he gets flattened by a bus and no one cares.

That would require the writers realizing what an obnoxious character he was though. And I guess remove the whole thing where we haven't seen the body yet.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

God willing it'll be this. Everything related to the FF7 EU needs to die.

I have to disagree here. Genesis aside, Crisis Core is by far the best the EU has to offer, and I feel much of what it offers (again, Genesis aside) should be taken into consideration for the remake.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if Cloud's Fusion Swords will be a weapon in the remake.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Schwartzcough posted:

And that was a pretty underwhelming fight with a guy who was shown going all DBZ in his fight with Sephiroth. The game has been going out of its way to emphasize that Genesis/Angeal/Sephiroth are on a whole other level from Zack.

Well, the first two there are also kind of falling apart. Zack isn't, and he's been practicing.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Agreeing with the sentiment that there should've been some sort of Genesis-centric curbstomp earlier in the game. The most we've really had before this was Zack getting punted around in various cutscenes, several of which he wasn't fighting back in, which don't do a whole real lot for really giving the player a sense of how strong they really are. If the top three are supposed to be so much better than our hero is, having us actually go up against one of them and get loving wrecked would've done a great job.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, there was the cutscene of Angeal sending Zack flying, I suppose. Then again, he kinda sucker punched him then.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, there was the cutscene of Angeal sending Zack flying, I suppose. Then again, he kinda sucker punched him then.

Yeah, but Zack also wasn't trying to fight him seriously. He was just trying to talk him down and got dropped for it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You get a sense of how strong Zack is later on in the game.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Chapter 18: Dreams and Honor

Last update took us right up to the edge. Genesis has been taking care of, but there is one more remnant of Project G stalking the world and he’s right ahead.

CLICK ME YOU DINGUS

Yeah...then why did you send me?

To prepare you. For your next fight.

Music: Theme of CRISIS CORE ''Truth Behind the Project''

This time Angeal isn’t going to take no for an answer. He’s not going to blow a hole in the floor and not be sure about what happened. Zack has to face him.

Stop it!

Someone’s waiting for you, no?

REMINDER: There was a white feather on the doorstep of Aerith’s church right before we headed out to Modeoheim.

Apparently THAT threat is a bridge too far, even for Zack. He’ll take drat near any threat leveled at him, but not at Aerith.

It is time to exact vengeance for our family’s suffering!

No! My father is dead!

Fine, then do it for your mother.

*gasp*

Well, he may still be a prime mover in a rebellion vs. Shinra that has cost countless lives, but at the very least he didn’t kill off his mom. Good on all you that figured that!

Shame? How terribly misguided! She should have been proud…

Nothing would give ME pride like knowing I lead directly to the creation of a sociopath like Genesis in the name of science.

Proud that she was the namesake of our experiment.

Gillian, the woman implanted with Jenova cells. Genesis, who had her genes mapped onto him during the fetal stage.

I’ll say.

But you, Angeal… You were actually bred inside Gillian’s body.

Between the sneaking and the very morally questionable science and talking about genes and failed projects, this game really took a turn for the Metal Gear Solid this chapter.

Zack, I am perfect.

If anyone didn’t see that line following the previous one, well, condolences.

My cells can absorb genetic traits, and pass them along to others.

A two-way conduit…

:techno:

Zack, do you remember what I said?

Yeah...but you’re not one of them.

But I created my own suffering.

:emo:

We could have a sweet three way standoff..if it wasn’t loving Hollander here.

Angeal raises his hand and basically one of each Angeal copy drops down from the ceiling(because they are always hiding in the ceiling. Everyone in game needs to play Portal and learn to look up)

If that doesn’t earn Angeal redemption, I don’t know what will.

The entire crowd charges forward and...goes right past Zack?

Angeal!

Really, you guys should watch this if you haven’t already!

*horrifying gurgling noises*

All the monsters just dog pile onto Angeal. RIP one more G-Project member I guess. Hell of a way to commit suicide.

Or...not?

Music: The Face of Lost Pride :black101:

What the poo poo.

I mean, seriously, what the poo poo.

So, uh, yeah. Angeal and all his minions have fused into some horrifying amalgam with way too many limbs and gigantic mouth on his torso. Also he traded in his sword for a spear from the annoying jumping frog guys I guess.

I think we lost that somewhere around the four side jumps and the bloody rebellion against the government.

-End Video-

Click for Boss Fight

Genesis might not have been a real showdown but Angeal is going out with a pretty big bang. You guys wanted some horrifying god monster, well Angeal Penance is more than happy to deliver.

Nothing says honorably dispatching your friend that basically wanted to kill himself like stealing armor worse than what you own off him.

Angeal Penance’s bread and butter is a double trident slash that hits for drat near 500 a pop.

Friend Cloud apparently had prior work history on helping dispatch Shinra’s genetic abominations.

Angeal is stacked on special attacks this fight. Wings of Pride fires off 4 feathers that hit for 150 or so each and track quite well. They are hard to avoid and blocking is a way better answer.

Also he can spam them real loving quick if he so desires. There goes half my HP in about 2 seconds.

Regen is pretty handy here. You WILL get hit a bunch in a straight up fight unless you are way better than I(or use the cheese I show later) and this lets you go a little longer between Cura breaks.

Angeal Penance tells us it’s alright to be a little horny sometimes and in doing somehow this drops Barrier and Magic Barrier on him.

He’s also got Charge of Greed(Figured out the pattern yet?) It’s a physical attack that ignores Vitality and hits for a hefty 850 or so.

So, you CAN get behind him and slam in some criticals to his butt, but you REALLY need to be on your toes.

Thunder of Envy is no loving joke. That’s WITH a Lightning resist accessory on. 2100 of 2400 HP gone in an instant. If you have any damage on you, you are loving dead.

On the other hand, once you know how far you can go it’s pretty easy to dodge. 4 hits to his back and roll to the side. Congratulations. You just figured out how to win the fight without taking any more damage. His AI pretty much gets stuck in a butt lightning loop and he’ll gladly keep using it until out of HP unless you change tactics. But what’s the fun in that?

Rage of Sloth is pretty well named! If you stand in one place you will get nuked for about 1000 damage.

Or you just keep walking and it explodes behind you. Don’t even need to dodge roll.

And now for the other big nasty attack. Unleashed Wrath is his unblockable special.

Surprisingly his giant consuming mouth is used for Wrath.

Apparently it’s a giant laser vomitting mouth instead.

Hello third time in the game the nice potion lady in Shinra Tower saved me.

I’d say thank god for Raise but I wouldn’t have been in this mess if I wasn’t loving around to get more attacks out of him.

And at this point he’s pretty much out of it so I just slam a few more back attacks in. He DOES have End of Gluttony to round out his Seven Deadly Sins theme, but he didn’t feel like using it this go round. It also only heals about 2400, so whatever. Two hits or so to the back.

-End Video-

YOU SHOULD ALSO WATCH THIS YOU DINGUS

I’m not sure if you looked worse as a demonic hell beast or as a pasty near corpse. Also congrats on untransforming on the power of rear end kicking?

He’s apparently still able to casually hold the Buster Sword one handed though.

*sobs, leaves a dying man holding a 100 pound sword for 30 seconds*

Protect your honor, always...

I already saw Genesis pull this trick. He still had a good minute of monologuing left in him.

Oh. :smith: He’s actually dead. I hope you are looking forward to your incoming PTSD, Zack. As if you didn’t need counseling already.

Angeal’s constant reminder echoes through Zack’s head. Though at this point it’s hard to say what Zack has really got out of it other than some sweet quads and crippling lifelong psychological issues.

If you want to be a hero you need to have dreams...and honor

Music: Why (Crisis Core FF7 Mix)

Right on queue the depressing rain starts in an area where it is so cold Zack will freeze to death in minutes if he doesn’t do squats. But snow is apparently not as good for setting a mood.

Back home Zack is still, understandably, a blubbering mess. Aerith’s cheer up attempts aren’t working out too well.

It’s not everyday you have to kill your mentor and best friend. And remember that every day you are working for the company that caused the whole clusterfuck that’s been your life for the last six months.

At the very least Zack came out of this with a sweet anime dueling scar.

And a new haircut. Or he’s just been too depressed to bother with getting it taken care of in the last...however many months it’s been. There is a pretty big unspecified time jump between Modeoheim and now/the start of the next chapter.

Ultimania Guide puts Modeoheim at early April and the start of the next chapter in late September, so it’s probably been about 5 months at this point.

We don’t see a ton of it, but it’s not a quick grieving process, which is a nice change of pace. The usual JRPG is about two weeks between meeting, losing someone who is now the most important person in the world to you to being a functional human again. Well, at least as functional as a JRPG hero can be.

This is another of those videos that has strangely crappy video quality on it.

Recruits: Sir! Yes, sir!

You’re all rookies, right?

Recruits: Sir! Yes, sir!

At this point Zack has taken up the mantle of Angeal. He’s the mentor for a whole new generation of SOLDIER. Which...is...kind of awkward for me? If Shinra was actually a decent company/government/thing that would a pretty reasonable character arc to follow. Brash rookie->Experienced midlevel guy->guy at his peak passing on his knowledge to the next wave of brash young rookies.

But Zack knows too much about Shinra at this point. Being generous with what he knows they are wildly unethical at best and outright evil fascists at worst. And after killing his best friend who suffered so much because of them...he goes on to train the next group of people to enforce their will.

It’s kind of a perversion of what Angeal really wanted to stand for but had trouble being.

Embrace your dreams.

Got it?

Recruits: Sir!

But maybe here is where Zack has to be.

There will be another class of SOLDIER to be taught whether Zack is here or not.

Maybe the best he can do is instill in them to will to do some good in the world, and not just be a mindless drone.

Maybe being SOLDIER will be something different than it used to be.

Nashun fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 25, 2016

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I do like the progression between Zack at the start up until now. He really has been through a lot of crap and he's come out of it stronger, but not instantly so like in most JRPGs would have them do. Two weeks turnaround is sort of a highball estimate for how long it takes some protags to angst out and then come back.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Can't say I expected that fight this early. Or for Angeal to turn into Ultima Weapon from FF8.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 25, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Apparently one of the lesser powers of the G-Cells is the ability to bleach your clothes out when you die?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So Angeal literally shits lightning? Intense.

And god, Hollander is just the gooniest-looking fucker, with his pot-belly and doofy-looking t-shirt under his lab coat.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Nashun posted:

Gillian, the woman implanted with Jenova cells. Genesis, who had her genes mapped onto him during the fetal stage.

Man, for a person of Genesis' ego, if he ever found out that the G in Project G didn't stand for Genesis, he would probably throw a major hissy fit.

Oh... wait...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The green tinted image was originally a shot in Advent Children or Advent Children Complete where Cloud was flashing back to Zack being a badass. So its a recreation of that flashback in the game, from the perspective of Cloud.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

Gologle posted:

The green tinted image was originally a shot in Advent Children or Advent Children Complete where Cloud was flashing back to Zack being a badass. So its a recreation of that flashback in the game, from the perspective of Cloud.

That helps that make a little more sense. IN the part where it is all guys in Infantry gear Zack puts his hand on one's shoulder which you would assume would be Cloud, but then there is that line and the quick cut to everyone in SOLDIER gear. But we know as of next chapter Cloud is still a completely normal mook. Unless he got into SOLDIER then washed out in that five month gap and it's just never mentioned? Clunky editing either way.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is interesting. I figured one of those two would survive to be kind of an end boss or something, but I guess not! Things seem kind of directionless right now, but then again I guess Zack is too.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well there's still Hollander on the loose to wrap up the storyline we've been given, and potentially something with sepiroth, although I'm not sure how either of those could be end game bosses.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Oh Hollander. You can't out-Hojo Hojo. :allears:

Zack is such a badass. "Slice my cheek? And?"

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Why is the best song on the track. This game still makes me cry today. It's the only good game in the 7 EU, and well deserved to be a great game in its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Yeah, CC's more emotional moments tend to actually land in large part due to the soundtrack to me. It is a good thing. Also I've always wondered if the Buster Sword actually affected Zack's attack power. I'm pretty sure you get a bit more range but I never bothered to test if you hit any harder.

• Locked thread