Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

You know what I realized I want more of in this season. Jaimie's arm jokes. I miss those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm getting very strong Fullmetal Alchemist vibes so I'm going to stop assuming this is following GRRM's plan at all and just enjoy the ride.

In that sense, this was a very good hour of television.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The best part of the episode was the Red Priestess totally clowning the eunuch. The expression on his face as she was describing in excruciating detail how he lost his dick was just priceless.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
ok I've caught up!

I like time travel I think it's great, time travel all the time, the more silly the better.

I didn't notice for certain but did Bran ever wake up?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

ok I've caught up!

I like time travel I think it's great, time travel all the time, the more silly the better.

I didn't notice for certain but did Bran ever wake up?

nope hes still in the past

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
So Bran drove Hodor crazy for most of his life, just so that he could mind control him into sacrificing himself and being eaten by zombies so Bran could escape? Not cool

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm predicting it will take only 48-72 hours max before t-shirts with "Hold The Door" start showing up on places like Tee Public and Tee Fury.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
I thought we were going to get a twist showing that the White Walkers were actually good, guess not.

Why do they want to kill the Children of the Forest?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Inside the episode says that the Hodor greenseeing part was basically a weirwood emergency infodump from Bloodraven. That scene was probably the most relevant to the issue as it implies a certain level of determinism/Fate/something in the world which is why Bran will probably go "what in the actual gently caress now?"

Also so many goddamn feels, all of them

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
Didn't stable boy seizure Hodor have a visible but healing head wound? I figured he'd been kicked by a horse and was already basically Hodor, then the worging happened.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

funny way to spell posted:

I thought we were going to get a twist showing that the White Walkers were actually good, guess not.

As best I can tell, the White Walkers originally were programmed to "Kill all Humans" and that got turned into "Kill all life"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They want to kill everybody? I kind of remember the story about the white walkers being that the children of the forest and the humans teamed up to drive them north and end the long night/winter and build the wall, but that might have been in a dvd extra or some poo poo. They do not seem like good people or like they have a terribly intricate plan.

This show isn't cornball enough to have Bran be the Bran the Builder who built the wall in the first place, right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

That's the new question. Now we know what they are, but why the hell are they killing the children of the forest?

It kinda explains somethings, their origins. Essos never cared much about white walkers, and this is why; the white walkers were created as guardians of the children of the forest in Westeros. But why did they turn on the children of the forest?

Makes me think people saying the story would end with peace with the white walkers instead of war might be right.... but still not so sure.

Jack Gladney posted:

They want to kill everybody? I kind of remember the story about the white walkers being that the children of the forest and the humans teamed up to drive them north and end the long night/winter and build the wall, but that might have been in a dvd extra or some poo poo. They do not seem like good people or like they have a terribly intricate plan.

This show isn't cornball enough to have Bran be the Bran the Builder who built the wall in the first place, right?

Yeah I guess the white walkers got out of hand, so the children of the forest made peace with the first men (or the Andals? was that later?) and turned on the white walkers?

Oh god that would be pretty cornball and I could see it happening...

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Whitewalker origin being that simple was fine because the Nights King story is a loving fairy tail

I really wish there wasn't an origin story for them other than, "They came out of the far north." any more details about them were lost to history. Anything that's remembered about it (Bran the Builder, etc) sounds like a fairy tail - like Noah out of the Bible - and would be dismissed except for the existence of the wall.

I would have wanted them to be a manifestation of some faceless mindless force of nature from parts of the world where maps aren't drawn.

When we find out that they're former humans created as weapons by the forest elves, it makes them kinda limited and finite.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 23, 2016

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The problem with the "everything in GOT was fated to happen" analysis is that it makes character decisions meaningless. Our illusion that characters have free will is key to dramatic tension.

I think they should have avoided time travel to begin with, but we'll see how things go. I'm guessing it won't actually affect the plot majorly and Bran will just be a flying omniscient thing who will no longer change the past.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If they didn't have an origin story like this, then they're just Sauron's army, and they weren't gonna be that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vegetable posted:

The problem with the "everything in GOT was fated to happen" analysis is that it makes character decisions meaningless. Our illusion that characters have free will is key to dramatic tension.

I mean, not really. In reality character decisions are meaningless because they're made up ahead of time by the scriptwriters/GRRM/etc. That doesn't dispel dramatic tension.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I didn't get misty eyed at the end- I cried like a drat baby. Ugly crying face and all.

My coworker told me about the hold the door theory a few weeks back, but thought it had to do with ToJ, but I told him that is hella stupid. Now I have to deal with him throwing it in my face tomorrow. Salt on my wounds, man.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Zaphod42 posted:

I can't believe they still haven't shown us the tower of joy scene, but I guess they had to make room for Hold the door which was very important. I guess the idea is that now that bloodraven is dead, Bran can do it fully on his own, and will just warp back in time on his own next episode and see the rest of the tower of joy?

Good episode, although there were a couple of really cheesy moments.

Meera and Bran are going to go find her dad where he'll tell Bran what happened. All while Meera is eating eggs.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Corzaa posted:

I'm still under the impression its RB and not RT.

It makes no sense if Jon is Robert's bastard because Robert has loads of bastards everywhere and Jon wouldn't have been the first. Why hide that from Robert? It makes sense if Rhaegar's his father because Robert loving hated Targs and would potentially have murdered him, but if he's just another one of Robert's bastards then he would have just been swept under the rug like the others, or Ned could have raised him without pissing off Catelyn.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Theon's speech with all the Ironborn going constant AYE! AYE! was super cornball, and then Euron showing up to take over everything was delicious.

Also great was Yara calling him out on murdering Balon, and Euron just straight up admitting "yeah I did it", and also just openly declaring he's going to murder them at the end. Euron doesn't gently caress around.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Theon's speech with all the Ironborn going constant AYE! AYE! was super cornball, and then Euron showing up to take over everything was delicious.
Theon just can't seem to succeed at rousing speeches. :smith:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Coffee Jones posted:

I really wish there wasn't an origin story for them other than, "They came out of the far north." any more details about them were lost to history. Anything that's remembered about it (Bran the Builder, etc) sounds like a fairy tail - like Noah out of the Bible - and would be dismissed except for the existence of the wall.

I would have wanted them to be a manifestation of some faceless mindless force of nature from parts of the world where maps aren't drawn.

When we find out that they're former humans created as weapons by the forest elves, it makes them kinda limited and finite.

We already know they transform humans to make more because of that scene where they took the incest guy's baby.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

Lycus posted:

If they didn't have an origin story like this, then they're just Sauron's army, and they weren't gonna be that.

Orcs are elves that were corrupted by Morgoth. So, actually this origin just makes them more like orcs from LoTR.

I'm curious how many Others the Children made. We already saw Night King can turn babies into Others. Is there a difference between the ones he makes and originals? How many are there?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sypher posted:

I don't understand what was so bad about hold the door. I thought it was great.

Ultra-goony :spergin: about time travel paradoxes, "wait until D&D get a load of this 5,000 word takedown of the inconsistencies in the GoT magic system", etc., all of which miss the point which is that the point of the writing for GoT is not perfectly internally consistent 'worldbuilding' but storytelling.

edit: I thought that shot of the standing stones in the flashback with the creation of the White Walkers looked kind of familiar:

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 23, 2016

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Maybe the obsidian that elf chick drove into that dudes heart hosed em up and made him really angry

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

computer parts posted:

I mean, not really. In reality character decisions are meaningless because they're made up ahead of time by the scriptwriters/GRRM/etc. That doesn't dispel dramatic tension.
You're right. But we care *more* about character decisions because we imagine they have a choice. If we don't believe their dilemma is real then it's less fun.

It's a similar issue with "plot armor" characters. It's always more interesting if we genuinely believe a character might die. But we're conscious enough that they'd never kill somebody like Dany. So it's less fun.

TV is about cultivating illusions for the audience. Fatalist plot lines eat away at those illusions.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Zaphod42 posted:

Also great was Yara calling him out on murdering Balon, and Euron just straight up admitting "yeah I did it", and also just openly declaring he's going to murder them at the end. Euron doesn't gently caress around.

Nah, but WHO CARES ABOUT THAT, I mean really. I just want to repeat about how Theon finnnnnnnnnnnnngerblasted Yara hue hue.

Seriously tho, it made sense. Ironborn respect strength above all and Yara had shown some. But Euron, on top of that, straight up came in and said: "Hey you fucks, me killing Balon took the strength Yara never had and things are better for it!" and also had an even moreso ambitious long-term plan than her (what exactly to do with those ships, once they're built).

Granted, I think it's a loving stupid plan (Dany will use them until it serves her, then burn their retarded asses much like she did with the *other* strength-based society last ep), but it's one that strikes a chord at least with these dumbos.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zaphod42 posted:

As far as I could tell Euron won over a handful of morons on a mountain top, where as Yara managed to rally what appeared to be hundreds if not thousands of Ironborn to steal an entire loving fleet, so I'm not sure why she bothered with the whole running away thing and didn't just have her gigantic navy/army turn back around and throttle Euron. Will be interesting to see if she's trying to jump the gun on Euron and head out to help Danny, or of she's sailing north to add to the never ending coalition of factions rallying behind Jon.

Actually, I don't care. I just want to see Blackfish and Sam's dad be badasses and bitch slap their poo poo sons.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

FetusSlapper posted:

Didn't stable boy seizure Hodor have a visible but healing head wound? I figured he'd been kicked by a horse and was already basically Hodor, then the worging happened.

Yes, and that was the running theory of what people assumed happened to him based on references to the wound from getting kicked in the head by a horse or mule in the books. However the first flashback shows him already with the scar and talking normally which hinted that something else caused his mind to go.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Steve112sms posted:

Orcs are elves that were corrupted by Morgoth. So, actually this origin just makes them more like orcs from LoTR.

Oh okay, I'm not up on LotR lore. What I meant to say was that the White Walkers simply being an unknowable killing wave was never going to happen.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I understand the time travel stuff but why does Wylis have the seizure? Does Bran do it on purpose or is it an accident?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

As far as I could tell Euron won over a handful of morons on a mountain top, where as Yara managed to rally what appeared to be hundreds if not thousands of Ironborn to steal an entire loving fleet, so I'm not sure why she bothered with the whole running away thing and didn't just have her gigantic navy/army turn back around and throttle Euron. Will be interesting to see if she's trying to jump the gun on Euron and head out to help Danny, or of she's sailing north to add to the never ending coalition of factions rallying behind Jon.

Actually, I don't care. I just want to see Blackfish and Sam's dad be badasses and bitch slap their poo poo sons.

Yeah that part was strange. I think the CG department mis-interpreted a memo and overdid it or something. The idea I think was that Yara took a fraction of the exiting fleet, but the best ships of them, which will frustrate Euron and allow her to outrun him initially, but he'll chase her down after he builds more ships.

The visual though was that she took literally every ship, and there were a ton, meaning that she also had the crews to steal them... in which case why didn't she win the kingsmoot if she had so many crews and support? Why not just attack and kill him? I dunno. :iiam: D&D aren't concerned about details so much as EPIC SHOTS and TWISTS.

Niwrad posted:

I understand the time travel stuff but why does Wylis have the seizure? Does Bran do it on purpose or is it an accident?

Accident, I think partially because he kinda saw his own future death which hosed him up hardcore, but also just because Bran was freaking out and caught between times and blasting psychic warg poo poo in both times at the same ... time.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
This episode was awesome, HoldTheDoor was awesome, people ITT are loving babies about the exact magic quotient and time travel rules on the show. :dealwithit:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

What blows my hair back is thinking about GRRM sittin down to write the first book and cooking up this crazy rear end backstory for Hodor however many books down the line in his mind :psyduck:

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Niwrad posted:

Bran having just warged into Hodor and also using the powers he can't quite control to visit Hodor in the past, while also getting the 3-eyed raven's powers transferred to him was just too much joojoo all at once and blew Hodor's brain fuse.

Being warged into is also super violating and Bran forces himself into Hodor despite his protests and horror many times.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Orange Red Bull posted:

What blows my hair back is thinking about GRRM sittin down to write the first book and cooking up this crazy rear end backstory for Hodor however many books down the line in his mind :psyduck:
I am absolutely willing to believe that somewhere in GRRM's really early notes, "HODOR = HOLD THE DOOR" is written in the margins like some schizophrenic

I doubt he had any clue what Hold the Door meant himself at the time though

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
hodor was a greenseer, he saw his future and stroked out. brann didn't do poo poo to the past. this is also why brann can warg hodor.

the ending was bad and hodor should've been left as hodor and not an even danker meme. the entire zombie attack scene felt like I was watching like, I dunno, late DS9 action scenes or something. the whole ~ heroic sacrifice ~ also feels really unfitting for GoT but i guess that might be personal taste.

namaste

Minera fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Sydin posted:

She didn't just steal the ships, she stole his plan. She has a better shot against Euron with Dany as an ally than w/o.

• Locked thread