Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Lycus posted:

So was Preston Jacobs right about any of this?

He's said a bunch of stuff about the consciousness time travel from GRRM's other books. I think he, like most, thought the Others would be something more complicated than just a bioweapon, but there's a chance it's more complicated in the books. I think Bloodraven technically doesn't exist in the show, it's only 'the three eyed crow.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ePO5JXVULM

Next week on Game of Thrones: Sam brings a Wildling home for dinner and Randall gives him the stink eye all night.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Came to thread to bitch about HOLDTHEDOOR, staying for the Tormund + Brienne fanfic. Don't let me down badthread.

12 loving years, hold the door, bullshit.... I told my wife if I had a loaded gun I would have shot the TV Hunter S. Thompson style.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
holy poo poo, george lucas must be writing this garbage at this point.

hold the door, its like poetry, it rhymes.

"i order you to find a cure", lol

the origin story for the walkers sucks all the threat out of them. they were made, so they can be unmade. when they were just some unknowable Others with motivations incomprehensible to humans, they were scary because human reasoning might not be able to find an answer to them. now we know they're magic humans so theres probably a magic solution there. they should have just been left unexplained.

euron, holy poo poo. in the book nigga rolls up with a magic eye, a fleet, a dragon controlling head exploding horn, and a bunch of other menacing poo poo. in the show he rolls up with a hillbilly mustache and some dick jokes, immediately has all his boats stolen by the target of said dick jokes, and then everyone's still like "yeah, you're our leader". real convincing bad guy.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

the origin story for the walkers sucks all the threat out of them. they were made, so they can be unmade. when they were just some unknowable Others with motivations incomprehensible to humans, they were scary because human reasoning might not be able to find an answer to them. now we know they're magic humans so theres probably a magic solution there. they should have just been left unexplained.

euron, holy poo poo. in the book nigga rolls up with a magic eye, a fleet, a dragon controlling head exploding horn, and a bunch of other menacing poo poo. in the show he rolls up with a hillbilly mustache and some dick jokes, immediately has all his boats stolen by the target of said dick jokes, and then everyone's still like "yeah, you're our leader". real convincing bad guy.

Honestly, omitting the magical elements from Euron (and conflating him and Victarion) are okay in an adaptation because it adds pretty much dick all to their characters.

Also, I kinda like the Others/White Walkers being constructed entities because it explains why the Children were so keen on suddenly making peace with the First Men. This also means that the seasons being hosed up on Westeros is, by proxy, Man's fault so this is all a climate change parable. :tinfoil:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Tormund x Brienne

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Errant Gin Monks posted:

How big is the pool yet on if GRRM will publish the next book before the series ends in 3 years?

Finish, no. Publish, yes. 100% guarantee his publishers will put out something before the end of the HBO show. Dude could die tomorrow, and they would still publish something.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

So Hodor lost his mind by being intensely focused on holding a door.

So all this time he was an MRA.

quoted for awesomeness

You know, Bran definitely looks horrified by what is happening - based on some other comments people felt like it wasn't no big deal.

jsoh posted:

brans timetravel hodor mindraping created a causality loop because in the book they specifically mention that 1 . the assassin who came after bran and started the war by sending cat south was in the stables and 2. that hodor, stableboy, noticed him and had been acting loving weird since the kings party went south, but couldnt say aynthing but hodor to prevent it.

Maybe Bran past wargs into Hodor and tried to warn people, but hodors mind is all hosed up and its all Being Jon Malkovich.

I liked the Episode. My GF made me watch the discussion afterwards because she "wanted to know if they were going to talk about the cock and balls and why they included that". Sadly they did not.

So... why would the last child of the forest, I mean maybe the last of her race? why would she sacrifice herself to save a bunch of loving humans? Why didn't they just toss bran's rear end outside so they couldn't break in? How could they NOT have learned that obsidian fucks up Others? Why didn't they spend the last loving 1000 years making more grenades or some non-total-poo poo defenses? Why didn't Crow tell Bran about the Night's King and "Hey be sure he doesn't loving touch you".

The Hodor scene was done well. I didn't get teary, but definitely had some feels. I forgive the GRRM for this.

Summer dying was bullshit.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
One step closer to my theory:

1. The planet is about to break it's eccentric orbit and fly into the void of space ushering in unending winter
2. Bran sees the future and learns this.
3. Bran decides that the white walkers are the only thing that can survive, and so for anyone to continue they must be permitted to survive the war
4. In order to prevent TPtwP from fulfilling the prophecy, Bran travels back in time and wargs into Aerys Targaryen, and burns his own Uncle, prompting Robert's Rebellion
5. The final chapter with be titled "The Prince that was Promised" and it will detail Rhaegar Targaryen prepared for the battle at the Trident

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There was a lot of stupid stuff this episode. More teleporting Littlefinger. More ??? motives behind whatever Littlefinger was trying to accomplish with Sansa and Ramsy. Dumb revelation about the Others. Bran dumbly walks among this big ice enemy army, gets dumbly marked by their general. "You guys need to leave right now but oh I guess we have time for more flashback romps." "Hey let's sit around and chat about how we're all going home oh whoops we sat around for too long and now we're hosed."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think I can think of a GRRMier reveal than the White Walkers being an allegory for both environmental damage and the futility of war.

Complaining about Littlefinger's traveling is silly because it's no different than what Cat did in S1 and S2. You just have imagine that an indeterminate amount of time passes between scenes and not be a tedious nitpicker about it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 23, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

CaptainRightful posted:

I know having some dude blow on a giant trumpet until his head explodes would be hard to pull off without looking silly, but they need something more than what they showed us to convince people that Euron Crow's Eyes is a badass.

I agree, so far he's just some generic looking chump. His speech wasn't even that impressive.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Lycus posted:

I don't think I can think of a GRRMier reveal than the White Walkers being an allegory for both environmental damage and the futility of war.

Complaining about Littlefinger's traveling is silly because it's no different than what Cat did in S1 and S2. You just have imagine that an indeterminate amount of time passes between scenes and not be a tedious nitpicker about it.

The white walkers have always been an existential threat that no one really understands and the government doesn't really believe in and refuse to do anything about other than some token gestures, and is only really recognized by a group of misfit rapers.

So what I'm saying is that they've always been climate change.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The only thing about the Others being a created race is that it explains Coldhands' obedience to the children in the book. He's simply one of their creations that didn't turn against them in a desire to murder all living things.

Euron and the Ironborn in general are loving awful and if it wasn't for Dorne they'd be the worst part of this by far. The only reason they're in the show at all right now is because they're how Dany will get her army to Westeros. At least we know Littlefinger can cast 4th circle magic-user spells though. He better memorize a stoneskin for the eventual shanking he's going to get.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah it's pretty depressing, then again these are the people who butchered Stannis

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
So the Children have ranged obsidian weapons but didn't use them on the White Walkers walking slowly towards them because ???

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The elves (Celebrimbor) in Middle Earth are responsible for creating the rings of power with Sauron so "noble elves create horrific means of world destruction" isn't entirely new either.

Actually, Sauron is responsible for the rings of power, as he is the one who gave Kelly-B the knowledge of how to create them and was involved directly with the ones that men and dwarves ended up with. Furthermore they were never intended as means if destruction but domination, very different end goals.
:goonsay:

I'm fine with Little finger because he got told and it was satisfying.

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 23, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I was surprised that Sansa told Littlefinger to gently caress off. I was sure she was gonna string him along to use his army.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Lycus posted:

I was surprised that Sansa told Littlefinger to gently caress off. I was sure she was gonna string him along to use his army.

Yes that would have been clever of her wouldn't it! Guess it goes to show what his tutoring is worth.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

hoededoor hoededoor hoededoor

Their Euron couldn't have been further than what I imagined him to be.

A lot of the dumb answers in the episode were extremely dumb, but they felt "GRRM told us this" dumb instead of fanwank dumb like 99% of the stuff they've made up.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Shown Euron is terribly cast and he was given some of the worst dialogue and reasoning, "hey I'm back, I just committed two of the worst sins in our society, Kinslaying and Kingslaying, please make me king. Also my master plan is to do exactly what Yara wanted, except I'm going to totally marry Kelly C and make us serve her.... Cool you made me king, come let's commit some more kinslaying".

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atreiden posted:

Shown Euron is terribly cast and he was given some of the worst dialogue and reasoning, "hey I'm back, I just committed two of the worst sins in our society, Kinslaying and Kingslaying, please make me king. Also my master plan is to do exactly what Yara wanted, except I'm going to totally marry Kelly C and make us serve her.... Cool you made me king, come let's commit some more kinslaying".

why didn't yara and theon just draw on that sumbitch and kill him. He just admitted to killing her father. I'll bet if they started, other iron born would have jumped in too.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

kcroy posted:

why didn't yara and theon just draw on that sumbitch and kill him. He just admitted to killing her father. I'll bet if they started, other iron born would have jumped in too.

Well she only had the support of some of the best captains the Iron Islands have, so when the murderer of her father confesses in front of them, it's better to ignore it and hold a vote for reasons....

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Atreiden posted:

He paid the ~iron price~ for the right to call himself the king of the iron islands.

The ~iron price~ meaning "do whatever the gently caress you want, we're all stupid evil Greyjoys so we accept it"

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The Greyjoys are awful anyway, so this is fine.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hold the door.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Atreiden posted:

I like his actor in other stuff, but Pilou Asbaek is too young (like early 30s young) and not really swagger-y enough to pull of Euron. Not that it matters because Westeros' Florida needs to be wiped off of the map anyways.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

Counterpoint: Ramsay's stepmom went through an entire pregnancy in season 5-6.

Gilly's baby was born in season 2 and is still about 2 months old.

Time has no meaning in this show.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
It's a closed circle.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I have to say that the addition of time travel fuckery to this already convoluted story packed with loose ends and unexplained mysteries gave a bad LOST feeling

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Counterpoint: Ramsay's stepmom went through an entire pregnancy in season 5-6.

Gilly's baby was born in season 2 and is still about 2 months old.

Time has no meaning in this show.

It's probably a lot less of pain in the rear end to have Hannah Murray carry around a doll than it is to direct a toddler on location.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I had forgotten that Sam exists outside of fat pink mast. Oldtown felt utterly and totally superfluous in AFFC, so I'm sure it takes up a lot of space in the theoretical TWOW chapter list.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I had forgotten that Sam exists outside of fat pink mast. Oldtown felt utterly and totally superfluous in AFFC, so I'm sure it takes up a lot of space in the theoretical TWOW chapter list.

Well yeah there was literally one chapter of Sam in oldtown and he spends half of it dozing in a waiting room while a clerk expects to get bribed.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

I like his actor in other stuff, but Pilou Asbaek is too young (like early 30s young) and not really swagger-y enough to pull of Euron. Not that it matters because Westeros' Florida needs to be wiped off of the map anyways.

yeah Pilou Asbæk is a fine actor, he just doesn't fit as Euron and he was handed a terrible plot. I like him in most of the Danish television I have seen him in. They should have cast Mads Mikkelsen, since they wanted more danes on the set ;)

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well yeah there was literally one chapter of Sam in oldtown and he spends half of it dozing in a waiting room while a clerk expects to get bribed.

God, the Sam storyline was one of the loving worst in AFFC.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So really is GRRM's endgame basically a rather uninspired homage to the dark tower? Will Bran\Sam\Jon have to go the heart of winter to blow the horn of Joramun?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
"the salt throne" is way lamer than "the seastone chair", imo

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's called Game of Thrones we gotta have thrones in there.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

sounds like youre just butt-salt

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Mads Mikkelsen would have been perfect because none of the dialog or characters' actions would even matter. Viewers see him and automatically think, "Oh poo poo, THAT guy! Of course all the other Ironborn are scared shitless and let him be king."

I'm enjoying the season more now that I've accepted it as just high fantasy "a wizard did it". Character teleportation, time travel, the ludicrous behavior of everyone in Essos, whatever. At least this season is more entertaining than the last one.

CaptainRightful fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

"thick as a castle wall"