Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

LogicalFallacy posted:

Alright. I'm definitely taking a break from this map to play around with something simpler. Though before I completely put it in the "figure this poo poo out later" bin, could someone help me figure out why my remote trigger isn't working right?

When I test the map, using that line only lowers the sector it's attached to, instead of all sectors with Tag 1. Am I missing something obvious?

Well, under action you didn't list a sector tag? I have no idea if that's the issue, but it seems logical to me.

So, about sky boxes... Setting the ceiling to the sky texture... did not do what I wanted. Need to research, apparently.

Also, I made a little "outside" area that is about twice the size of my two interior rooms... and holy crap it feels tiny. This is gonna take awhile to figure out. On the other hand I feel like I've got a pretty good grasp of how to vary the terrain (height-wise, anyway), so that should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
All you guys making Doom levels is adorable :allears:

It's like me 17 years ago. Hopefully some of you will release something instead of falling into a "make a few random rooms, detail, make a few more, detail, repeat 2-3x, abandon level due to unsustainable design" loop like I did. :sigh:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

LogicalFallacy posted:

Alright. I'm definitely taking a break from this map to play around with something simpler. Though before I completely put it in the "figure this poo poo out later" bin, could someone help me figure out why my remote trigger isn't working right?

When I test the map, using that line only lowers the sector it's attached to, instead of all sectors with Tag 1. Am I missing something obvious?
UDMF and Hexen-format linedef specials work differently. That "tag" you assigned "1" to isn't the tag the special acts on - it's a tag for another special to act on (a "line ID", something only Hexen-format and UDMF have). Instead, all the linedef specials now take up to five parameters to adjust how they behave; it's the five "Argument" options in the "Action" part of that second screen. You wanted to put "1" into the one labelled "Sector Tag" - the reason it's only lowering the one sector is because it's set to "0", and ZDoom frequently defaults "0" to mean "the sector behind this linedef".

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

RickVoid posted:

Well, under action you didn't list a sector tag? I have no idea if that's the issue, but it seems logical to me.

So, about sky boxes... Setting the ceiling to the sky texture... did not do what I wanted. Need to research, apparently.

Also, I made a little "outside" area that is about twice the size of my two interior rooms... and holy crap it feels tiny. This is gonna take awhile to figure out. On the other hand I feel like I've got a pretty good grasp of how to vary the terrain (height-wise, anyway), so that should be good.
:doh:That make a terrible amount of sense. I thought all was well since I it had tagged as 1 down in identification.
For your sky texture, did you use F_SKY1 or SKY1(or 2 or 3)? F_SKY1 is what you should be using to make a "skybox."

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

The Kins posted:

UDMF is the "state of the art" for making ZDoom maps, and renders Doom In Hexen largely obsolete.

Boom is a baseline that pretty much every engine supports, making it useful for vanilla maps.

Oh. Well... poo poo. I gotta make a new map in UDMF now. But if I do, that would have it be compatible with Boom stuff right?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

widespread posted:

Oh. Well... poo poo. I gotta make a new map in UDMF now. But if I do, that would have it be compatible with Boom stuff right?
There are no Boom engines with UDMF support so it would realistically be a ZDoom (and derivatives) level. But ZDoom can do everything Boom can if that's what you're asking, other than maybe a few obscure MBF things that you won't care about.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guys I've never made a map at all myself and even I know that it's probably best to start with the basics before doing anything advanced. Many of the maps you all play already are probably Doom/Boom format. Hell, Back to Saturn X is 100% vanilla compatible and look at how great that turned out!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Guys I've never made a map at all myself and even I know that it's probably best to start with the basics before doing anything advanced. Many of the maps you all play already are probably Doom/Boom format. Hell, Back to Saturn X is 100% vanilla compatible and look at how great that turned out!

Yeah, I'm happily rolling along in GZDoom (Doom 2 in Doom) Format.

Shadow Hog posted:

UDMF and Hexen-format linedef specials work differently. That "tag" you assigned "1" to isn't the tag the special acts on - it's a tag for another special to act on (a "line ID", something only Hexen-format and UDMF have). Instead, all the linedef specials now take up to five parameters to adjust how they behave; it's the five "Argument" options in the "Action" part of that second screen. You wanted to put "1" into the one labelled "Sector Tag" - the reason it's only lowering the one sector is because it's set to "0", and ZDoom frequently defaults "0" to mean "the sector behind this linedef".

LogicalFallacy posted:

:doh:That make a terrible amount of sense. I thought all was well since I it had tagged as 1 down in identification.
For your sky texture, did you use F_SKY1 or SKY1(or 2 or 3)? F_SKY1 is what you should be using to make a "skybox."

Hey, looks like my guess was right. Sweet. Also, after having read up on Skyboxes, I really loving hope this is correct, because having to make a seperate room and add some special actor in there and blargh. Please let it be this easy.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

david_a posted:

There are no Boom engines with UDMF support so it would realistically be a ZDoom (and derivatives) level. But ZDoom can do everything Boom can if that's what you're asking, other than maybe a few obscure MBF things that you won't care about.

Right, that's what I was asking. But what the gently caress's MBF things? That like some real custom poo poo?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Today I laid out my next level, IMP ZONE 3: SLUDGE PIT. There are lots of imps in this level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT-eeqLO7zk

Still a lot of work to do on item placement etc before I do my prettying. Probably gonna put a secret in the center of that little pillar you activate with the lever. It's more complex than the last one so it took me about the same amount of time, but loving around with floor heights was fun! Now to add square lights to all these loving angled ceilings :suicide:

edit: And in case you're wondering, there's nothing in the pit, but the whole sector has a trigger action on it so that if you jump down looking for secrets, a lift will come down and take you back up. :v:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 23, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Mak0rz posted:

But then I won't have my shiny new toys!
Seriously though, I am going to leave this map aside for a bit whilst I play around with Doom Format. But first I present to you: what I've made so far.
The astute and far more knowledgeable than me will probably notice pretty quick why I need UDMF for this map.

LogicalFallacy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 23, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LogicalFallacy posted:

But then I won't have my shiny new toys!
Seriously though, I am going to leave this map aside for a bit whilst I play around with Doom Format. But first I present to you: what I've made so far.
The astute and far more knowledgeable than me will probably notice pretty quick why I need UDMF for this map.

This is a cool idea, I'm looking forward to seeing it get expanded upon!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

widespread posted:

Right, that's what I was asking. But what the gently caress's MBF things? That like some real custom poo poo?
Marine's Best Friend, an old source port that extended Boom. I think ZDoom and PrBoom snatched up all the useful capabilities it added, although last time I checked (which was like 10+ years ago) there were some parts that ZDoom didn't bother incorporating. I have a feeling that PrBoom+ was more complete but maybe that isn't true.

Basically this is uber Doom-grognard history that is likely 99.9% useless to you.

However, for anybody who is making a Boom-compatible level, you should absolutely test it with more than just ZDoom. Releasing a Boom map with a bunch of accidental ZDoom-isms that break PrBoom+/Eternity is a bad thing that bad people do.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Today I laid out my next level, IMP ZONE 3: SLUDGE PIT. There are lots of imps in this level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT-eeqLO7zk

Still a lot of work to do on item placement etc before I do my prettying. Probably gonna put a secret in the center of that little pillar you activate with the lever. It's more complex than the last one so it took me about the same amount of time, but loving around with floor heights was fun! Now to add square lights to all these loving angled ceilings :suicide:

edit: And in case you're wondering, there's nothing in the pit, but the whole sector has a trigger action on it so that if you jump down looking for secrets, a lift will come down and take you back up. :v:

You shout put a chaingun in the blue room, to combine getting a new toy and having the lost souls as a chance to use it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Made some good progress tonight. Got to play with both stairs and with getting the skybox working (it was simple!). Also played around with adding some pick-ups and a few Former Humans to blast away at when I test my map. Doomguy wanted something to do when I go into the map to make sure things work for umpteenth time, he was getting bored.

Just need to finish the remainder of the interior rooms, learn how to make a level exit, then I get to expand the outside room to surround the entire building. Won't that be fun?

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Not sure if anyone is interested in competitive DOOM 2, but I started uploading some of my old demos! Port used is ZDaemon. Map is Entryway but slightly modified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTWE63ROwuc

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Right, I'm going to play through Daikatana. I've been working my way through the big 90s FPSs and I guess this was coming down the line at some point...

Any tips, (fan patches, source ports)?

(other than "Don't play this game".)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Right, I'm going to play through Daikatana. I've been working my way through the big 90s FPSs and I guess this was coming down the line at some point...

There's a "What Should I Know Before Entering This Mess" guide on Steam, but to sum up the vital points:

• Grab the 1.3 fan-patch
  • Turn on "Unlimited Saves" in the Options menu
  • Start a LAN co-op game to play without any cutscenes or annoying AI buddies (should you not wish to get the full Daikatana experience)

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

E;f,b

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mak0rz posted:

What's up with all the map formats anyway? Is there a quick write-up on them?

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Map_format

fishmech posted:

There's the original format of course.

There's BOOM-compatible which is the general baseline for when you want to do more than plain Doom can handle but also want it to be playable by nearly everyone.

There's UDMF which a new era format, based on text vs binary encoding of information, with the intention of being a much more extensible and versatile map format for high end engines. GZDoom/ZDoom, Zandronum, and Vavoom are the only ones that really support it. UDMF can handle features from any Doom engine game easily.

A seperate thing that was popular for a while was WADs in Hexen format but with Doom contents. This was mostly supported by the same engines that support UDMF now, and had an inbetween level of support for features between BOOM format and UDMF.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Boom
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Hexen_action_specials
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/UDMF

Wikia is bad

david_a posted:

Marine's Best Friend, an old source port that extended Boom. I think ZDoom and PrBoom snatched up all the useful capabilities it added, although last time I checked (which was like 10+ years ago) there were some parts that ZDoom didn't bother incorporating. I have a feeling that PrBoom+ was more complete but maybe that isn't true.

ZDoom actually was more complete in its MBF support than PrBoom+, until people started working on stuff that used the extra dehacked stuff from MBF and remarked that it didn't work in PrBoom+.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

The 1.3 fanpatch fixes a number of issues, none of which I can be arsed to remember right now, but you definitely want it. Other than that, I recommend lots of booze. I suspect that part of the reason I've never made it very far through Daikatana is that I'm a teetotaler.

Edit: Ninja'd because typing and looking stuff up on a phone is slow. (I do still recommend the booze though)

LogicalFallacy fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 23, 2016

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Kins posted:

[*]Start a LAN co-op game to play without any cutscenes or annoying AI buddies (should you not wish to get the full Daikatana experience)
[/list]

Okay, all advice taken except this. I want the unfiltered experience.

Errrrrrk even the menus in this suck....

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Play the Gameboy Color version instead, it's a much better game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Play the Gameboy Color version instead, it's a much better game.

This, but ironically. Play it after you grow empty-nest hippie mom hair like Romero has.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I can't believe I've played two 90s FPSs in a row that start in a swamp and then go to a sewer.

gently caress you Quake II: the Reckoning and Daikatana.

(I am also currently playing Assassin's Creed Liberation, so my swamp level tolerance is at all time low)

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Just reading about Daikatana's swamps makes me hear the mechanical frogs and dragonflies. Who thought that's a good idea for the starting level?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

laserghost posted:

Just reading about Daikatana's swamps makes me hear the mechanical frogs and dragonflies. Who thought that's a good idea for the starting level?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Scythe 2 is kind of hard on Project Brutality Brutal difficulty.

Plutonia Experiment is tricky for me on the same setting so far. Everything seems fine and then those shielded hell knights appear, or 2 of those things that are basically godlike cacodemons that fill a room with red lightning :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I watched IGN's hour and a half long Doom bro-op with Romero while I was mapping yesterday, he seems like a pretty chill guy. Or at least, he is these days.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

A bit of an odd question for the more knowledgeable users in this thread: Where did "A Secret Is Revealed" originate from? I know it wasn't in the original Doom, and Quake had a different message. Did one of the source ports come up with it?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

david_a posted:

All you guys making Doom levels is adorable :allears:

As a teen, I tried my hand at Doom mapping briefly, but just couldn't get into it. Maybe I was just impatient, but I'm willing to chalk it up to the tools being way worse back then. GZDoom Builder is an astounding upgrade. Also, during the first hour I spent learning it, two hotfixes were released - to say it's being actively updated is an understatement.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Samuel Clemens posted:

A bit of an odd question for the more knowledgeable users in this thread: Where did "A Secret Is Revealed" originate from? I know it wasn't in the original Doom, and Quake had a different message. Did one of the source ports come up with it?
ZDoom, I think.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dominic White posted:

As a teen, I tried my hand at Doom mapping briefly, but just couldn't get into it. Maybe I was just impatient, but I'm willing to chalk it up to the tools being way worse back then. GZDoom Builder is an astounding upgrade. Also, during the first hour I spent learning it, two hotfixes were released - to say it's being actively updated is an understatement.
My early levels were terrible but complete. My later levels were better looking but are all abandoned snippets. I get discouraged when I can't quickly get what's in my head into the editor but I can't seem to spend the time getting to know the tool.

I don't know if the tools had much to do with it for me, I used DCK 2.2 in the early days and tried using DB2 for some much later levels.

I think everyone who really cares about this game should try their hand at making some maps, however. If nothing else, it will give you a much better appreciation for some of the amazing mappers out there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Segmentation Fault posted:

You shout put a chaingun in the blue room, to combine getting a new toy and having the lost souls as a chance to use it.

Sounds like a good idea to me!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Samuel Clemens posted:

It comes from ZDoom, and the phrasing is because Randi Heit is a Blood fan.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My prettyfication pass on my map is not going very well, I don't really have any ideas on how to creatively decorate these big open rooms.

The room with the pit is being especially stubborn since there are so few walls without stuff on them. Anyone got any ideas?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 23, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Torches, corpses, skulls?

Could always stick a bunch of barrels in there. I mean, it's a toxic sludge pit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

My prettyfication pass on my map is not going very well, I don't really have any ideas on how to creatively decorate these big open rooms.

The room with the pit is being especially stubborn since there are so few walls without stuff on them. Anyone got any ideas?

I dunno dude those nuke waterfalls are pretty great details already.

But the easy answer is : Put nuke barrels loving everywhere. They're decorations and you can shoot them to go boom which is even more fun.

And if you've got a whole nuke waterfall there's probably some barrels of nukage lying around.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Decoration for a sludge pit:
Pipes! The PIPE1 texture can be used to create a big-rear end vertical pipe. To avoid cluttering the room and hampering movements, you can always put them outside: open a window in one of the walls, make a tall, dark room that you can see from the top of the sludge pit but cannot normally enter, and put your big-rear end pipe in it.
Nukage dispensers! Now this will require importing some textures from Doom 1 because unfortunately they aren't in Doom 2. Use SLADRIP textures to have something the nukage flows out of. Use the fancy bit of TEKWALL3 to create a pump.
PROTIP: see if you can't use NUKE24 as the lower texture to border the nukage flows. Maybe play with its vertical offset a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm wondering the same about obituary messages ("Player was splayed by a hell knight," etc.) I always thought they were a vanilla feature until I noticed Chocolate Doom doesn't have them. Obviously they were inspired by Quake, which had them from the beginning, but I'm almost certain the Doom95 source port displayed them as well. Maybe I'm misremembering that detail.