Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Put him on a 32 I think. It looks way better, especially for characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
speaking of basing, i was trying to figure out how to base my crappy archmagos. i just realized the abeyant came with a base if you wanted to use the model off the abeyant. i glued mine in.....any suggestions?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Practice your knife skills.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The Ghost Tint came in yesterday. Here's a comparison between Minitaire "Fresh Blood" ($7) and Createx "Deep Red" ($5).

Both claim to be transparent.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I've been liking the minitare colors. I think their ghost tints are really neat, I just need to find something to use them on.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Does anyone have any good schemes for Raven Guard? Probably going to be my next project in a drop site massacre theme following from my Salamanders. Not sure how to make black look interesting enough. I can airbrush if that helps

Germ
May 7, 2013

Lord Twisted posted:

Does anyone have any good schemes for Raven Guard? Probably going to be my next project in a drop site massacre theme following from my Salamanders. Not sure how to make black look interesting enough. I can airbrush if that helps

Not "good" per se, but pretty stock-standard. I use a bluish black for my black, and find that it's more interesting than black and grey.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Lord Twisted posted:

Black then blue wash along the edges. Highlight with Eshin grey. Use white for contrast and that's about it.
They're about as difficult as Iron Hands.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Had a really close game today with Hixson against Bulbasaur and some other shitbird that posts in the EVE threads. Hixson brought some dumpy tac marine squad with a land speeder and basically got wiped off the map. Meanwhile, King poo poo of Punch Mountain and the Justaerin Punch Bros dragged rear end across the map, wiping out squad after squad of dreadful Iron Warriors and Castellax robots. A despicable tactical support squad tried to enter the Own Zone against me but barely killed two before getting demolished by Hixson. Since each model counted as a separate kill point we ended up tying 14-14, but if we had played another turn we would've had a decisive victory. In conclusion, I've never lost a game of Games Workshop presents Forge World Studio's Horus Heresy Premium Tabletop Miniatures Game (GWPFWSHHPTMG).

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I played 30k admech against my friends tau and it felt good to have that smug little rear end in a top hat be on the other side of the dumb broken bullshit

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

panascope posted:

Had a really close game today with Hixson against Bulbasaur and some other shitbird that posts in the EVE threads. Hixson brought some dumpy tac marine squad with a land speeder and basically got wiped off the map. Meanwhile, King poo poo of Punch Mountain and the Justaerin Punch Bros dragged rear end across the map, wiping out squad after squad of dreadful Iron Warriors and Castellax robots. A despicable tactical support squad tried to enter the Own Zone against me but barely killed two before getting demolished by Hixson. Since each model counted as a separate kill point we ended up tying 14-14, but if we had played another turn we would've had a decisive victory. In conclusion, I've never lost a game of Games Workshop presents Forge World Studio's Horus Heresy Premium Tabletop Miniatures Game (GWPFWSHHPTMG).

lol

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

dumb broken bullshit

dont tell bulba

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
So, the legion red book will be first shown July 17 at the FW open day, and then go on sale some time after. July-August basically, blah.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

DeadGame posted:

I've been liking the minitare colors. I think their ghost tints are really neat, I just need to find something to use them on.

At the airbrushing course I helped on recently, I taught a guy how to do his Salamanders Sicaran with metallic color modulation, basically zenithal painting dark metallics and fading up to a lighter metallic, then going over that with the Ghost Tint green. Came out so nice he re-primed his Deredeo to do the same effect on that. It's the same thing I'll be doing with my Alpha Legion guys, but with the Ghost Tint Plasma Fluid (which is teal).

Mango Polo posted:

So, the legion red book will be first shown July 17 at the FW open day, and then go on sale some time after. July-August basically, blah.

Hopefully it's for sale at the open day. I'm going with a couple of friends, one of whom has never been to a FW or GW open day/fest, and hasn't seen the museum. That alone should be fun. Hopefully the Mastodon is ready!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Hopefully it's for sale at the open day. I'm going with a couple of friends, one of whom has never been to a FW or GW open day/fest, and hasn't seen the museum. That alone should be fun. Hopefully the Mastodon is ready!

I might actually have to hit you up for the event only miniature this time.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Mango Polo posted:

I might actually have to hit you up for the event only miniature this time.

Certainly! I have 3 to post off and picked up a couple more for myself, will definitely be getting more at the open day.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Whats the mini?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Certainly! I have 3 to post off and picked up a couple more for myself, will definitely be getting more at the open day.

Brilliant, now i just hope I don't forget :)

DJ Dizzy posted:

Whats the mini?

A generic praetor in cataphractii armor.

Would make some sweet conversions, e.g. Praevian or Siege breaker.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

krushgroove posted:

At the airbrushing course I helped on recently, I taught a guy how to do his Salamanders Sicaran with metallic color modulation, basically zenithal painting dark metallics and fading up to a lighter metallic, then going over that with the Ghost Tint green. Came out so nice he re-primed his Deredeo to do the same effect on that. It's the same thing I'll be doing with my Alpha Legion guys, but with the Ghost Tint Plasma Fluid (which is teal).

I'm going to try that! I've been manually washing a few alpha legion, but this might be a much better way of doing it.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Indeed.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Are those are yours, Mango? They are sick as hell

We played tactical strike this weekend. Despite having 4 players, 1 who never played before, we wrapped up in a few hours. It was slower than I thought, but still went pretty quickly for a warhammer game. I really like the action point mechanic, but it requires book keeping. I also really like the morale check and pinning mechanics, so much so, that I would like them in regular games at some point. It makes leadership actually matter. We quickly forgot about doing ammo checks though.

Panascope brought a single unit- a justaerin deathstar that slew it's way across the board. We rolled the kill point mission so the fact that they were not scoring made no difference. The other outlier was being able to burn an action point to make a squad fearless for a turn. That invalidated the entire pinning and morale check system of tactical strike. I wonder if stubborn would be a better alternative to fearless or if fearless units could be pinned. As for avoiding death stars, I think we'll limit invulnerable saves to 4+ unless its a lead element and limit lead elements to being no more than ~160 points. That way you can still bring a gnarly justaerin/pyroclast/red butcher murder party, but it won't be your entire force.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I wish. Look at the painting thread for examples of how I massacre airbrush basics.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Mango Polo posted:

Brilliant, now i just hope I don't forget :)

A generic praetor in cataphractii armor.

Would make some sweet conversions, e.g. Praevian or Siege breaker.

I'm still confused about the combi volkite. I can't really see any situation where a single volkite shooting attack would be worth the cost of a combi weapon and a combi plasma or melta wouldn't do the job better. Unless it's something ridiculous like a culverin's profile, maybe.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Shazaminator posted:

I'm still confused about the combi volkite. I can't really see any situation where a single volkite shooting attack would be worth the cost of a combi weapon and a combi plasma or melta wouldn't do the job better. Unless it's something ridiculous like a culverin's profile, maybe.

Sculptor: It's going to look fukken cool.

And it looks like the Iron Warriors are diluting themselves a bit haha.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
It's been a while since I've posted poo poo I've painted, but..

I had a lot of fun with this kit (even if I about quadrupled the price of the basic Land Raider). Forge World MKIIB 'Raider with the Reinforced Armour upgrade, aftermarket treads from Blood and SKulls Industries, and the FW Legion Pintle Mount weapon set plus a couple of MKIII bits for the gunner. And Death Guard Legion rhino side doors, and a pair of assault launchers..

The Vae Tyrannis - The Woe of Tyrants.

Quandoquem solum solutio problematies ad speciem campoletam subtilitatens penitus indigemus nisi hospitio

Sometimes, the only solution to a problem is a complete and utter lack of anything resembling subtlety

Endurance

Vengeance

Inevitable
Woe of Tyrants

Detail shot of the gunner.

I'm aware the highlighting could be cleaner but I've long since stabilized on a one-meter standard (ie, it looks good from about a meter out) rather than going for the Golden Daemon. Had a lot of fun fitting everything together and I quite like the end result.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Looks good man. Free handing text aint easy, you pulled it off well.

EVERYONE POST YOUR MANS
Here's my spec mehrines in various stages of completion:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Hixson posted:

EVERYONE POST YOUR MANS

Oh, wow. Now I kinda wish I'd done Thousand Sons.

Also, thank you! It helps to not use an actual brush - I have a bunch of fine (0.1-0.7mm) black markers I can use for text. Much easier to control than a brush for text, I find. Just have to lacquer the mini or it'll rub off/smear if you accidentally grab it.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Man that is an awesome Land Raider and those are some sweet 1k Sons.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I love those thousand sons.

The loin cloths on deredeo are great and over the top.

What kind of shade/wash did you use on those guys?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Where is the Deredeo loincloth from? Greenstuff?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Owns and owns.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lord Twisted posted:

From Stanyer's smashed blood angles

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

DeadGame posted:

I love those thousand sons.

The loin cloths on deredeo are great and over the top.

What kind of shade/wash did you use on those guys?

The Deredeo is already ridiculous, I just made it worse.

The red is zenith primed black/grey, mephiston red base, layered up to evil Suns scarlet, with a black pin wash

Lord Twisted posted:

Yeah it's greenstuff

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what about the tactical squad loincloths? gs also?

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 24, 2016

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I lovingly sculpted all 42 of them

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

I lovingly sculpted all 42 of them
Sounds like you've got an affinity for tiny man-crotch.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

Sounds like you've got an affinity for tiny man-crotch.

doxxing is against the rules on this forum.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

koreban posted:

doxxing is against the rules on this forum.
Oh, don't act like that descriptor narrows it down at all in this thread. :v:

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Hixson posted:

EVERYONE POST YOUR MANS

*garbage post*

Looks like poo poo. Find a new hobby, nerd.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Is that the result of a kamehameha?