Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Kraftwerk posted:

Nah I'm not trolling, the recent consumer reports article says Audis are getting higher up in reliability with the more recent models.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/how-car-brands-compare-for-reliability/

Just loving lease the cars for no more than 2 years like literally everyone who drives German cars do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

Nah I'm not trolling, the recent consumer reports article says Audis are getting higher up in reliability with the more recent models.

Based on internet research (ymmv) it seems the B8 S4 is pretty solid. The only major issue being the DSG. They're also a bit sludge prone and the rear diff can have issues, but no common $2000+ issues like they used to have.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

The Fiesta is much cheaper than the Fit in real transaction prices. The Fit used to be made in Japan and they don't make that much money on $15k cars no matter how good it is so Honda imports just as many as they can sell at full list price and no more. In other countries where the Fit is a higher margin vehicle (higher car prices in general, production in cheaper places like Thailand) the Fit is usually the best selling car in the segment.

I had a MT Fiesta and honestly it's a better driving car than the Fit, the Fiesta is the last Ford that's still a badge engineered Mazda so this isn't really that surprising, but the Fit is much better at carrying cargo and the newest versions have more advanced and fuel efficient drivetrains.

The Fit is another car that's suffered from getting "better" for the American market with every generation while the driving experience gets worse.

I had a first (American) gen Fit and it was the last new Honda that had the classic Honda driving feel.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Based on internet research (ymmv) it seems the B8 S4 is pretty solid. The only major issue being the DSG. They're also a bit sludge prone and the rear diff can have issues, but no common $2000+ issues like they used to have.
I have a B8 S4 that I've had for almost 4 years and I've never had a problem with it.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Guys is the 2017 Fusion Sport gonna be the new Legacy GT?
325hp AWD, adaptive suspension.

No MT gearbox but you can't have it all these days...

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
I have been driving Ford trucks for the last 20 years for work. Super Duties. 30 to 40 thousand miles a year in traffic and off road miles. The trucks are solid but when you do have an issue or just periodic maintenance through the dealer... Ford is terrible. I have dealt with 3 dealers, all of them are poo poo shows. God help you if the truck has to stay for more than a day, it will be a week and it will be done a day before they tell you/you call to ask if it is ready.

If it weren't for my experiences with their service, I would have bought a Mustang last year. I bought a WRX. Used their service twice so far, Oil Change/tire rotation and then the Turbo inlet pipe recall. Far better experience with Subaru.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

smooth jazz posted:

Just read an article I'll try and find where they bumped the torque rating to 380 ft/lbs. I'll see if there's any truth to that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr-Spain posted:

Just read an article I'll try and find where they bumped the torque rating to 380 ft/lbs. I'll see if there's any truth to that.

It's 335hp/380ft/lbs in the lincoln MKC, with a "requirement" of premium fuel, so the 325/350ft/lb rating might be on regular.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kraftwerk posted:

Oh you mean the people who said the Model S IS THE GREATEST CAR... IN THE WORLD! and then had to say yea it is loving terrible?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In fairness to their ratings systems, there's the road test rating for the car itself, and then there's a rating for reliability. For new cars, there is no data to rate the reliability, so they don't provide a rating. The Tesla crushed the road test score, but as more data has come out about reliability, they stopped recommending it. They have done similar things with other cars.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/tesla-reliability-doesnt-match-its-high-performance/

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

smooth jazz posted:

People will be tuning it to 400 hp I'm sure.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I guess its more like Up to 380 from a remap. Anything north of about 400 would probably need some upgrades.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Yea all the recent articles and forum chatter indicate 380 ft lbs. Seems like overkill?

Anyways, looking forward to it... it's in the top 3 to replace my Focus ST.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
If we're talking about anecdotes re: Fords, we had a 2013 Fiesta Titanium for three years, 36k miles and not a single issue. Surprisingly nice car, really.

We've had our '15 Focus Titanium for a year and 10k miles and no issues, not a rattle anywhere.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

For those who care about Uncle Serge's strange machinations, or about the future success of Alfa and Maserati, Reid Bigland is now in charge of Alfa and Maserati globally per autonews.

The move significantly improves the odds of the Giulia being successful in the North American market (and probably elsewhere), so it's all good. Just let me have a 4cyl reasonably high power turbo with a decent handling package and a manual transmission for about $40k.

edit: while we're at it, I'd like a pony too

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 24, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I saw a fair number of Alfas of various sorts while I was in Europe, and pretty much every one was gorgeous. If you feel like buying a car based on looks alone, it is the brand for you, so I think it would actually do very well in North America, where most people buy cars based on image.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For those who care about Uncle Serge's strange machinations, or about the future success of Alfa and Maserati, Reid Bigland is now in charge of Alfa and Maserati globally per autonews.

The move significantly improves the odds of the Giulia being successful in the North American market (and probably elsewhere), so it's all good. Just let me have a 4cyl reasonably high power turbo with a decent handling package and a manual transmission for about $40k.

edit: while we're at it, I'd like a pony too

2.0t 200hp Giulia is ~$30k in Europe without taxes, so the the 280hp version of the same engine you get in US should be less than $40k. Apparently they also confirmed that a Giulia wagon is also in the pipeline, in addition to the CUV.

Dutch prices and specs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwNojrauUi6WWVBhalUtbjdwcjQ/view
FCA press release on the Reid Bigland: http://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/media_center/fca_press_release/FiatDocuments/2016/may/FCA_Announces_Leadership_Changes.pdf

According to rumors the production Giulia QV has improved upon the pre-production Nürburgring times:
Pre-production: 7:39
Production 6MT: 7:36
Production 8AT: "7:26-7:29"
https://www.autoedizione.nl/giulia-quadrifoglio-gaat-eigen-record-lijf-op-nurburgring/

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 24, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

I saw a fair number of Alfas of various sorts while I was in Europe, and pretty much every one was gorgeous. If you feel like buying a car based on looks alone, it is the brand for you, so I think it would actually do very well in North America, where most people buy cars based on image.

People buy cars on image but that ain't the same thing as looks.

The 159 was beautiful.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

People buy cars on image but that ain't the same thing as looks.

The 159 was beautiful.

Yeah, but "I drive a sexy-looking powerful European car" is a good image, in addition to Alfa making great-looking cars.

You also have the subtext of "I can afford all the maintenance bills and a second car for when this one's in the shop," when you own an Alfa.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DoLittle posted:

2.0t 200hp Giulia is ~$30k in Europe without taxes, so the the 280hp version of the same engine you get in US should be less than $40k. Apparently they also confirmed that a Giulia wagon is also in the pipeline, in addition to the CUV.

Dutch prices and specs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwNojrauUi6WWVBhalUtbjdwcjQ/view
FCA press release on the Reid Bigland: http://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/media_center/fca_press_release/FiatDocuments/2016/may/FCA_Announces_Leadership_Changes.pdf

According to rumors the production Giulia QV has improved upon the pre-production Nürburgring times:
Pre-production: 7:39
Production 6MT: 7:36
Production 8AT: "7:26-7:29"
https://www.autoedizione.nl/giulia-quadrifoglio-gaat-eigen-record-lijf-op-nurburgring/

Looks like you guys only get the 6mt with QV and diesels though. Not a good sign for the us.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

Yeah, but "I drive a sexy-looking powerful European car" is a good image, in addition to Alfa making great-looking cars.

You also have the subtext of "I can afford all the maintenance bills and a second car for when this one's in the shop," when you own an Alfa.

Neither of those things has been sufficient to keep Alfa afloat thus far. The Giulia is more competitive in dynamics than the 159 but it's really likely to be more of the same.

I will buy an Alfa but I don't want to pay the price premium for a QV.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Looks like you guys only get the 6mt with QV and diesels though. Not a good sign for the us.

The 2.0t petrol in 200hp form should be shipping in autumn 2016. QV next month. 280hp 2.0t later.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

DoLittle posted:

The 2.0t petrol in 200hp form should be shipping in autumn 2016. QV next month. 280hp 2.0t later.

Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume slightly higher power numbers for the NA market? I know our cars do attract bloat and usually a meager increase to somewhat make up for it.

Also, Hurrrr no replacement for displacement, fix it again tony, amirite?!?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
If I'm still interested in 5 years or so I could easily see myself picking up a second hand Giulia. That infotainment screen solution is one of the best ones I've seen.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

If I'm still interested in 5 years or so I could easily see myself picking up a second hand Giulia. That infotainment screen solution is one of the best ones I've seen.

Someone needs to buy it new, first.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Not it

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

El Scotch posted:

Someone needs to buy it new, first.

And this is why "enthusiast" cars, or enthusiast-oriented options like MTs, fail. Enthusiasts are cheap shits who won't buy things new.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I promised that if Alfa brought a real Alfa to the US I would buy it.

When I do, I'll make an ownership thread to document what it's like to own an unreliable Italian car that was rushed to market that is being serviced by Chrysler dealerships. :suicide:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Guinness posted:

And this is why "enthusiast" cars, or enthusiast-oriented options like MTs, fail. Enthusiasts are cheap shits who won't buy things new.

Because we're all broke from fixing our used enthusiast cars.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Uh, people buy Alfas because of the looks AND the sound. Ciao baby!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What stipulations are on "real Alfa"?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

When I do, I'll make an ownership thread to document what it's like to own an unreliable Italian car that was rushed to market that is being serviced by Chrysler dealerships. :suicide:

This is some monkeys paw poo poo isn't it

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Guinness posted:

Yet Ford's enthusiast offerings are selling above MSRP in some cases, all while enjoying a less than stellar reputation for reliability. I don't think the issue is as simple as it's made out to be.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

How are the recent Maseratis? Maybe that might offer some preview of what the Giulia will be like to own.

If I could afford to buy it (read: own it) I would get a Giulia in a heartbeat. Most of that segment is dominated by the same bland variation of German car with everyone trying super hard to act like a 3 Series. By comparison the Giulia looks highly unconventional and will most likely be rarer than all the others. Back home in Europe one of the first cars I was ever exposed to as a child was an Alfa and its been an obsession for me ever since. If I ever do get one it could very well by my Moby Dick.

On another note, someone mentioned Ford is not very good when it comes to customer care and taking you care in for service, is GM or FCA the same way?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

What stipulations are on "real Alfa"?

RWD/awd, manual, practical enough to use as my only car. Thus, not counting the 4c and 8c. The Giulia counts.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kraftwerk posted:

How are the recent Maseratis? Maybe that might offer some preview of what the Giulia will be like to own.

If I could afford to buy it (read: own it) I would get a Giulia in a heartbeat. Most of that segment is dominated by the same bland variation of German car with everyone trying super hard to act like a 3 Series. By comparison the Giulia looks highly unconventional and will most likely be rarer than all the others. Back home in Europe one of the first cars I was ever exposed to as a child was an Alfa and its been an obsession for me ever since. If I ever do get one it could very well by my Moby Dick.

On another note, someone mentioned Ford is not very good when it comes to customer care and taking you care in for service, is GM or FCA the same way?

Id rather buy the Hyundai 3-series competitor for like half the price. And as a bonus itll probably start every morning

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I spotted one of the new grill-less Tesla P70s parked on the street in DC today. California plates, too. The new nose looks better than I thought it would.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

Id rather buy the Hyundai 3-series competitor for like half the price. And as a bonus itll probably start every morning

Why not have both? :sun:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I spotted one of the new grill-less Tesla P70s parked on the street in DC today. California plates, too. The new nose looks better than I thought it would.
I happened to be in S.F. the weekend after the new design premiered, and visited the factory due to be a tesla fanboy. They had the new design in the showroom, and it does look pretty good. Will look very good on the 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I want a Giulia QV* so much. I wish I could afford it :(

* Or a theoretical Giulia GTA :flashfap: