Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

The final Austrian result including postal votes is Van der Bellen 52%, Hofer 48%: http://wahl16.bmi.gv.at/1605-bw_ov_0.html

This is not the final result. It is either the current interim result of postal votes only (not including normal votes, the label on top is clearly wrong) - which would mean it'd look rather dire for VdB to still win overall - or it is completely made up test data. Keep in mind that this page is not public yet and only reachable if you type in the URL directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I was already wondering if VdB had gotten a landslide victory when it comes to postal votes.

He will probably get the majority of those, but the question is if it will be enough.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

NikkolasKing posted:

Well with the current migrant crisis and the claims I heard in this debate I watched on YT that Europe is barely growing economically at all compared to other places, is this really the right time for such a massive shock? Even the people in favor of leaving the EU in England said there will be a bit of an economic downturn afterward and I can only assume that they believe its better to suffer a bit in the short term if it helps you get stronger in the long term. But if the entire EU collapses, would this short period of "adjustment" turn into a long period of everything being hosed?

The people in favor of leaving are not thinking about it in such rational terms. It's more like, the EU is actively destroying England with immigrants and terrible directives dictated by dirty continentals.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Well with the current migrant crisis and the claims I heard in this debate I watched on YT that Europe is barely growing economically at all compared to other places, is this really the right time for such a massive shock? Even the people in favor of leaving the EU in England said there will be a bit of an economic downturn afterward and I can only assume that they believe its better to suffer a bit in the short term if it helps you get stronger in the long term. But if the entire EU collapses, would this short period of "adjustment" turn into a long period of everything being hosed?

Here's the problem, you keep assuming that there is a rational and well reasoned background to the events unfolding when there clearly is not. The pro-nationalist camp have their delusions about potential benefits but those are not the reason the referendum is happening. Cameron called for the referendum (twice I might add!) despite fiercely being in the pro-EU camp because he's a remorseless populist. It doesn't matter that neither he, or the UK, would have any real gains by leaving. All that matters is that Cameron gets to keep his seat and he would burn the world to see it so.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

LemonDrizzle posted:

The final Austrian result including postal votes is Van der Bellen 52%, Hofer 48%: http://wahl16.bmi.gv.at/1605-bw_ov_0.html

Look at the number of votes, that's just the postal votes. Judging from the total votes provided from the site, Hofer is still in the lead.

What perplexes me is the number of invalid votes - I understand that there were a lot of SPÖ and ÖVP voters who refused to vote either, but I'm having a hard time imagining over 52k people walking into the pollbooth and either accidentally or purposefully submitting an invalid vote.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

horriblePencilist posted:

Look at the number of votes, that's just the postal votes. Judging from the total votes provided from the site, Hofer is still in the lead.

What perplexes me is the number of invalid votes - I understand that there were a lot of SPÖ and ÖVP voters who refused to vote either, but I'm having a hard time imagining over 52k people walking into the pollbooth and either accidentally or purposefully submitting an invalid vote.
It's just test data.

http://orf.at/stories/2340516/

quote:

...the Interior Ministry stated, however, that it was a only a test run of the final data visualization with arbitrary data that went online inadvertently.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Incoming :tinfoil: in 3, 2, 1

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

SirViver posted:

This is not the final result. It is either the current interim result of postal votes only (not including normal votes, the label on top is clearly wrong) - which would mean it'd look rather dire for VdB to still win overall - or it is completely made up test data. Keep in mind that this page is not public yet and only reachable if you type in the URL directly.
Oh, sorry, my bad - that's what I get for trusting european political twitter I guess.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xoidanor posted:

Here's the problem, you keep assuming that there is a rational and well reasoned background to the events unfolding when there clearly is not. The pro-nationalist camp have their delusions about potential benefits but those are not the reason the referendum is happening. Cameron called for the referendum (twice I might add!) despite fiercely being in the pro-EU camp because he's a remorseless populist. It doesn't matter that neither he, or the UK, would have any real gains by leaving. All that matters is that Cameron gets to keep his seat and he would burn the world to see it so.

Well, I have been reading the posts in here claiming the EU is the erosion of democracy and law, that it has horribly disorganized military, that it sucks in so many other ways. I just kind of assumed these were the arguments used by the "Leave" camp and indeed, I heard some of them n the debate I watched.

So the position of this thread, or at least you and a few others, is that it's better to stick with the EU, however flawed it might be?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So the position of this thread, or at least you and a few others, is that it's better to stick with the EU, however flawed it might be?

Yeah, basically. The UK will continue being poo poo if it leaves the EU, except it won't even bound by the token labour protection, environmental and anti-corruption regulations of the EU anymore, so unless UK politics do a U turn the UK will become even more poo poo. Also some big companies and banks will scale down their operations there and move to Frankfurt because they just want easy access to the EU market, though given that they don't pay taxes anyway you probably won't notice.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

On the plus side, if Britain leaves the EU, we'll pettily infight and be racist against ourselves until our garbage country bursts into moronic flames and we sink into the ocean never to be seen again.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

NikkolasKing posted:

Well, I have been reading the posts in here claiming the EU is the erosion of democracy and law, that it has horribly disorganized military, that it sucks in so many other ways. I just kind of assumed these were the arguments used by the "Leave" camp and indeed, I heard some of them n the debate I watched.

Some claim that the EU is a neoliberal institution starting a race to the bottom. And there is some truth to this claim, but it can always be worse. Case in point, the UK Tories often complain about the EU's Worker's Directive and other labor market regulations, because they prevent business from exploiting their workers too much... *cough* I mean because those are unnecessary regulations impeding economic growth! There's no way that lifting the rules regulating weekly work hours, overtime, overtime pay, etc. would in any way be bad!

Edit: Oh, a word filter. For our poster that just recently got interested in politics again, n-word means neo.liberal :)

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 23, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In that case one would hope that the public would at least go "by golly they're loving us, maybe we will vote for the scruffy looking dog on the opposition benches"

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

does austria have an automatic recount provision? this election's so drat close i have to think that if such a provision exists it's getting triggered

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tesseraction posted:

In that case one would hope that the public would at least go "by golly they're loving us, maybe we will vote for the scruffy looking dog on the opposition benches"

Perhaps. After Brexit, UKIP might also fade as a protest party. At least I would hope so, it would suck if the voters instead decide to oust Cameron in favor of Farage.

Abel Wingnut posted:

does austria have an automatic recount provision? this election's so drat close i have to think that if such a provision exists it's getting triggered

If I understand correctly, they don't have an automatic recount provision. But with how close the election is, the losing candidate will definitely have a right to demand a recount.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Perhaps. After Brexit, UKIP might also fade as a protest party. At least I would hope so, it would suck if the voters instead decide to oust Cameron in favor of Farage.

One of the interesting rumours is that the Eurosceptic Tories have threatened to vote of no confidence in Cameron if Remain wins http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/15/around-100-tory-mps-could-back-vote-of-no-confidence-in-david-ca/

kicking him from the leadership mid-term would be interesting, but in reality they'll just make his tenure be plagued by the kind of deadlock the US congress usually faces

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The Austrian Ministry of the Interior will publicise the official result on June 1st. Within 48 hours after that, Hofer or van der Bellen would have to formally lodge an objection with the Constitutional Court, which then could either reject the appeal, demand a recount of certain election districts, theoretically even all of them. When both should turn out to really have gotten exactly the same number of votes, then the election has to be done again.

Fun fact: when there should be no new president by July 8th, then Hofer would (sort of) become president nonetheless - Heinz Fischer's (the current president) term is definitely over by then, and the duties of the Federal President would then be have to be carried out by the three presidents of the national parliament in unison with a certain Norbert Hofer among them :v:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Torrannor posted:

Edit: Oh, a word filter. For our poster that just recently got interested in politics again, n-word means neo.liberal :)

That's a pretty stupid wordfilter.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It was probably made because people in the Hillary/Bernie slapfight containment tank kept throwing the word around like they knew what it meant.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

cuckservative, hth

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Torrannor posted:

Some claim that the EU is a neoliberal institution starting a race to the bottom. And there is some truth to this claim, but it can always be worse. Case in point, the UK Tories

That's why a Brexit is important for Europe. Getting rid of Britain could allow to give a less neolib direction to the EU. It's a long shot (I think we should also kick Germany out to have a real chance) but it's definitely impossible as long as the UK has a word to say.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

That's why a Brexit is important for Europe. Getting rid of Britain could allow to give a less neolib direction to the EU. It's a long shot (I think we should also kick Germany out to have a real chance) but it's definitely impossible as long as the UK has a word to say.

And Austria for being full of far right tards. And Italy for being massively corrupt. Also Hungary, for obvious reasons. And basically any other country that doesn't also border France.

More seriously, what you're saying is it's in the UK's interest to stay in the EU while it's in everyone else's interests to kick the UK out and let it drown in the Atlantic.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm voting Leave because I don't agree with the organisational structure of the EU and overall lack of the unifying vision that it was founded on. When the EU was founded the great European project was fantastic and a great example of how Europe could work while united.

These days it's a bunch of stuffy old people moaning about the peasants who voted them into power, meanwhile all the way in the south east a corpse mountain is piling up while the countries of Europe play a game of "that's not my problem, stop trying to make it my problem" while shoving each other.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
No official confirmation yet, but several sources are reporting that Van der Bellen won.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

blowfish posted:

And Austria for being full of far right tards. And Italy for being massively corrupt.

Clearly you know nothing about Italy because then you'd know they have even more "far right tards", as you put it. Real genuine fascists, even.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

No official confirmation yet, but several sources are reporting that Van der Bellen won.

blowfish posted:

Isn't it great that barely above 50% of the votes went to a not-quite-protest candidate on the basis of "not a literal fundie moron".

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36362505

BBC reporting it too

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I'm voting Leave because I don't agree with the organisational structure of the EU and overall lack of the unifying vision that it was founded on. When the EU was founded the great European project was fantastic and a great example of how Europe could work while united.

These days it's a bunch of stuffy old people moaning about the peasants who voted them into power, meanwhile all the way in the south east a corpse mountain is piling up while the countries of Europe play a game of "that's not my problem, stop trying to make it my problem" while shoving each other.

And Brexit would solve that how exactly?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://mobile.twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/734750000144601090

0.4% of the voting electorate between the candidates.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pluskut Tukker posted:

And Brexit would solve that how exactly?

Tangentially at best. At least outside of it my idiot countrymen can't blame the European bogeyman for their self-imposed misfortunes.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Tangentially at best. At least outside of it my idiot countrymen can't blame the European bogeyman for their self-imposed misfortunes.

Why couldn't they ? It's not like a solid argument is generally required as a basis for blame assignment (besides, the exit negotiations will probably give plenty of opportunities for casting blame on the EU).

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 23, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

When the alternative is "barely below", yeah, it is pretty great. Austrian politics are going to be Fun from this point onward.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Why couldn't they ? It's not like a solid argument is generally required as a basis for blame assignment (besides, the exit negotiations will probably give plenty of opportunities for casting blame on the EU).

Yes but one result means the blame goes on forever, idly shaking their fist at the EU.

The other way said idiots might pull their finger out and try building our prick island's economy up more than just a financial sector and gently caress-all else.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

YF-23 posted:

When the alternative is "barely below", yeah, it is pretty great. Austrian politics are going to be Fun from this point onward.
Yeah, it's entirely possible that staving off the rise of Bundespraesident Hofer today means we can look forward to the inauguration of Bundeskanzler Hofer in 2018.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He actually said he would campaign to have the head of the party become chancellor. He mentioned the guy's name and it starts with schw so I'm going to call him Schwanz because frankly that's more accurate. But yeah, he's not looking to be chancellor.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

Yeah, it's entirely possible that staving off the rise of Bundespraesident Hofer today means we can look forward to the inauguration of Bundeskanzler Hofer in 2018.

And that depends on how the establishment parties handle this. The election is over, now they have to manage their loss. It's going to be interesting to see what comes out of that and if it's going to be enough to turn things around, enough to keep the fascists out in any case.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'd laugh if this led to a resurgence of the communist party.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

It's great Van der Bellen won, but I also had to realize that 66% of my district (rich country-side) voted for Hofer. Yay.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

mike12345 posted:

It's great Van der Bellen won, but I also had to realize that 66% of my district (rich country-side) voted for Hofer. Yay.

Rich people voting for rightwing shithead promising to keep scary people away? :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Charlie Mopps posted:

Rich people voting for rightwing shithead promising to keep scary people away? :eyepop:

European rich people are actually mostly afraid of right-wing populists because they usually have their own party specifically catering for rich people (and lemmings who think they might be rich some day), are pro-immigration because of cheaper workforce and unlike American right-wing populists "kill the loving rich" is a popular topic with the European ones. I imagine most rich people voted for the Green candidate.