Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell is going on down there?

Justin Bieber fans march in Argentina in support of pop idol

Hundreds of "Beliebers" are marching in Argentina's capital to ask that authorities let the Canadian pop idol perform in the South American country.

Justin Bieber said Monday on his Twitter account that he would like to play in Argentine on his Purpose Tour but "until the legal conditions change there I can't."

The singer, whose fans are called "Beliebers," is embroiled in a judicial case here, accused of allegedly sending bodyguards to attack a photographer outside a Buenos Aires nightclub during a 2013 visit.

On Saturday, hundreds of his fans marched to the Court of Justice in Buenos Aires carrying signs saying "Argentina Needs Justin" and "Right To Music."

One of the demonstrators said if the judge in the case "has a heart" he will let Bieber perform in Argentina.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/79216acdd4334d8ebc77084190535873/justin-bieber-fans-march-argentina-support-pop-idol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Great. Brazil's turning into a theocracy, Venezuelans having to scavenge food from trash on the streets and Argentina's banning Justin Bieber from performing there. This is the end of South America as we know it and I don't feel fine.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Negrostrike posted:

Great. Brazil's turning into a theocracy, Venezuelans having to scavenge food from trash on the streets and Argentina's banning Justin Bieber from performing there. This is the end of South America as we know it and I don't feel fine.

Argentina is banning Justin Bieber because frankly his criminal antics are not wanted.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Negrostrike posted:

You need a South American Donald Trump.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

You need a South American Donald Trump.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
As if the interim government's moral standing wasn't low enough already, new phone recording leaks have appeared showing Romero Jucá, Minister of Planning and one of the movers and shakers behind the impeachment, articulating with others to stop the investigation of corruption under operation Lava Jato.

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/poder/2016/05/1774018-em-dialogos-gravados-juca-fala-em-pacto-para-deter-avanco-da-lava-jato.shtml

The conversation itself is almost funny in its lame overtness. Veiled threats about how their necks are on the line unless 'something *wink wink cough* is done, concerns about how this imperils "all of he country's political class" and even signals some wllingness to let Lula slide (!!!) if all comes to a close.

And of course, national Golden Boy Aecio Neves is mentioned yet AGAIN, with both crooks reminiscing about "what we've done together, back then, electing congressmen so he could finally be Speaker" .

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Things are about to get really interesting.
Romero Juca, new minister of planning and one of the people who organized the impeachment in the senate, was just caught on tape proposing a pact among the parties that supported the impeachment to stop lava jato, the anti-corruption investigations.

e:fb

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
After throwing out the foreign backed dictators and military juntas, south americans are taking their first trepidate steps into loving things up on their own.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sephyr posted:

As if the interim government's moral standing wasn't low enough already, new phone recording leaks have appeared showing Romero Jucá, Minister of Planning and one of the movers and shakers behind the impeachment, articulating with others to stop the investigation of corruption under operation Lava Jato.

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/poder/2016/05/1774018-em-dialogos-gravados-juca-fala-em-pacto-para-deter-avanco-da-lava-jato.shtml

The conversation itself is almost funny in its lame overtness. Veiled threats about how their necks are on the line unless 'something *wink wink cough* is done, concerns about how this imperils "all of he country's political class" and even signals some wllingness to let Lula slide (!!!) if all comes to a close.

And of course, national Golden Boy Aecio Neves is mentioned yet AGAIN, with both crooks reminiscing about "what we've done together, back then, electing congressmen so he could finally be Speaker" .

So basically, the only thing overthrowing Dilma is going to accomplished is saving a bunch of old kleptocrats from corruption charges? I really do wonder what those thousands of protestors think of this all. I wonder if they're satisfied with how things've turned out.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Friendly Humour posted:

So basically, the only thing overthrowing Dilma is going to accomplished is saving a bunch of old kleptocrats from corruption charges? I really do wonder what those thousands of protestors think of this all. I wonder if they're satisfied with how things've turned out.

Well, for a lot of the protesters, corruption was a pretext. The real reason are some of the things Temer is doing or planning on doing. Before this new scandal, the headlines was about he wanted to make labor laws regarding salaries and hours worked "more flexible."

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Friendly Humour posted:

Plenty of them are completely fine with it. They wanted to kick PT off the government and purge even milquetoast left people from all positions of power, and they got their wish.

A guy who used to be one of my best friends before libertarianism/racism ate his brain in the past 3 years basically went from "This country needs to be scoured clean of leftism and corruption!!" to "We need stability now! Anyone flinging mud at the new government should be arrested and beaten!" over the course of this weekend.

There's no hyperbole in the 'arrested and beaten' part, either. It's a common feeling in dealing with protests and anyone who doesn't...know their place.

There are people who were earnest in fighting corruption, of course. But they were never the real engine of the movement, and most of them now just feel baffled and discouraged. My father hates PT and Dilma beyond all reason, but even he felt ashamed during the Congress Vote to impeach her.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good luck with the civil war!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Sephyr posted:

Plenty of them are completely fine with it. They wanted to kick PT off the government and purge even milquetoast left people from all positions of power, and they got their wish.

A guy who used to be one of my best friends before libertarianism/racism ate his brain in the past 3 years basically went from "This country needs to be scoured clean of leftism and corruption!!" to "We need stability now! Anyone flinging mud at the new government should be arrested and beaten!" over the course of this weekend.

There's no hyperbole in the 'arrested and beaten' part, either. It's a common feeling in dealing with protests and anyone who doesn't...know their place.

There are people who were earnest in fighting corruption, of course. But they were never the real engine of the movement, and most of them now just feel baffled and discouraged. My father hates PT and Dilma beyond all reason, but even he felt ashamed during the Congress Vote to impeach her.
Well looks like your friend needs a labor camp to straighten him out.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Well, for a lot of the protesters, corruption was a pretext. The real reason are some of the things Temer is doing or planning on doing. Before this new scandal, the headlines was about he wanted to make labor laws regarding salaries and hours worked "more flexible."

Lol love the stupidity of this. Trying to stamp out PT while waging the very campaign to help make them relevant again. Start moving people to short term contracts and taking away lunch tickets and 13th salaries and let's see how long the shaky support holds up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sephyr posted:

So how long will this Brazilian government last before poverty and starvation causes them to fall apart too?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Sorry to distract from Brazilplosion 2016, but (assuming I'm not in the wrong thread) does anyone here know anything about Belize or Guatamala's politics? I saw this, and was wondering just how big a deal it is. Considering it's been a point of contention for decades, is this signing actually a major step of progress, or just one more instance of lip service towards friendly terms that won't actually amount to anything in the end?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
What boggles my mind is how these parties were able to form a governing coalition, when their platforms are evidently opposed to each other.

Temer "completing" Dilma's term in office while ramming though policies that are contrary to what was intended by her in the first part of the term is pretty :psyduck:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Freezer posted:

What boggles my mind is how these parties were able to form a governing coalition, when their platforms are evidently opposed to each other.

Temer "completing" Dilma's term in office while ramming though policies that are contrary to what was intended by her in the first part of the term is pretty :psyduck:

This probably will be the last time someone chooses a VP thinking about governability, maybe even the last time someone picks a VP outside the party at all.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The more I read this thread the more accurate this article seems.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I basically only read the byline but implementing deep austerity politics in Brazil would be like putting a gun in its mouth and pulling the trigger.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

hoiyes posted:

I basically only read the byline but implementing deep austerity politics in Brazil would be like putting a gun in its mouth and pulling the trigger.

All the cool kids around the world are doing it, might as well roll with them (toward the cliff).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
http://blogs.oglobo.globo.com/lauro...ranspetroi.html

There are more recordings around (José Sarney aka real-life Kingpin and Renan Calheiros, currently leader of the Senate). According to people that listened to those phone calls, they make Jucá's "look like nothing".

lemme cue o fortuna real quick here for when the shitstorm hits

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My kokoro wish is that all this poo poo happens and then Dilma gets acquitted and goes back to being president.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Badger of Basra posted:

Dilma gets acquitted and goes back to being president.

Only if she does this after being sworn back in

:boom:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Please allow me once again

http://i.imgur.com/pSVYBLf.mp4

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

If a Jacobin article starts seeming accurate to you it's time to log off immediately and start taking your meds again.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
my pet conspiracy theory is that janot leaked the Jucá audio now to both gently caress with Aécio Neves and open the Planning cabinet position to José Serra, our future lord and savior.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36365781

quote:

Dilma Rousseff said the tapes prove that the impeachment process is a "political coup" designed to protect senior figures implicated in the Petrobras scandal.

She is accused of massaging budget figures ahead of her re-election in 2014, and is due to be tried in the senate in the coming months.

In the audio transcript, leaked by the Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper on Monday, Mr Juca appears to be saying the impeachment was necessary to "staunch the bleeding" and create a "political pact" needed to "stop everything and limit things."

Folha says the recording was made by the man Mr Juca was talking to, Sergio Machado.

Mr Machado is a former senator who until recently headed Transpetro, Brazil's largest oil and gas transport company.

He is under investigation over his alleged involvement in the Petrobras scandal.

Well well well, color me unsurprised. Things are going to get real interesting if Dilma can actually win the meme wars about convincing the public as to what is the real aim of her impeachment. Which is pretty goddamn obvious at this point, but the opinion of the public isn't. If Dilma can spin this into looking like a political coup against her anti-corruption campaign, she might come back from this stronger than ever. Or maybe not.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Constant Hamprince posted:

If a Jacobin article starts seeming accurate to you it's time to log off immediately and start taking your meds again.

The Jacobin is a good magazine because it annoys neolibs with it's very existence.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Friendly Humour posted:

The Jacobin is a good magazine because it annoys neolibs with it's very existence.

Jacobin is hardly perfect or the most accurate news source, but I'll easily take it over the Huffington Post or even The New Republic.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jacobin is hardly perfect or the most accurate news source, but I'll easily take it over the Huffington Post or even The New Republic.
Or Salon.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Huffington Posts sells its users colloidal silver.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Nonsense posted:

Huffington Posts sells its users colloidal silver.

Plus they occasionally turn its pages over to representatives of a cult. (And no, it's not the one you're thinking of.)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Besides the whole "stopping lava jato," bit, today we had a good reminder of the real reason Temer is now president. Today the new government announced a proposal for a constitutional amendment that would permanently set a public spending maximum. Going forward, public spending would only be allowed to increase by the inflation rate. The proportion to be spent in healthcare and education would also be specifically linked to these increases. The only type of public spending that would not be tied to inflation going forward is interest rate repayments. Note that we are not talking about spending for next year or during the crisis, but of a constitutional amendment.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

joepinetree posted:

Besides the whole "stopping lava jato," bit, today we had a good reminder of the real reason Temer is now president. Today the new government announced a proposal for a constitutional amendment that would permanently set a public spending maximum. Going forward, public spending would only be allowed to increase by the inflation rate. The proportion to be spent in healthcare and education would also be specifically linked to these increases. The only type of public spending that would not be tied to inflation going forward is interest rate repayments. Note that we are not talking about spending for next year or during the crisis, but of a constitutional amendment.

That literally would gently caress Brazil come any major downturn.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Crowsbeak posted:

That literally would gently caress Brazil come any major downturn.

Wait, you're telling me that temer doesn't have the country's best interests in mind and this whole thing is about screwing with the little guy so that the oligarchy can prosper and not pay taxes?

In the words of economist Rivers Cuomo, "say it ain't so".

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It is a lot harder to graft money from investiments in education and health than in infrastructure.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
So Bolsonaro wants to criminalize... being a communist? While praising the 70s military dictatorship, of course.

Should I get worried about this getting any traction or is this just Bolsonaro doing his thing with no relevant implications?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/05/the_legend_of_zelda_is_classist_sexist_and_racist/