Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MJP posted:

Other than bagels, smoked meat, poutine, and Au Pied du Cochon, any suggestions on stuff that simply cannot be found outside Montreal or Quebec in general?

Hello, here are some restaurants to eat at:

quote:

Pastaga (Little Italy). Lots of interesting small courses. Get the pork belly (poitrine de porcelet), and definitely try dessert. Expect to order 3-4 plates each, or have a second dinner. I haven’t tried their brunch.

Salmigondis (Little Italy). Probably my favorite restaurant, though in large part due to the outstanding service and drinks. The brunch is great, too-- the confit guinea fowl was great. Try to sit at the bar, if you can. Reservations recommended but not always necessary. Unfortunately, the desserts I’ve tried were weird and not especially tasty.

Le Comptoir (Mile-end). One of the first charcuterie places in town, and does it really well. Also does small plates, but they’re great for sharing. Definitely get the charcuterie plate. The rest of the menu is seasonal. Reservations recommended.

Lawrence (Mile-end). Fantastic brunch, just ok for dinner. They make all their cold cuts and breads/pastry in house. Everything’s great, but the pig’s trotter is excellent.

Au Pied de Cochon (Mile-end). In my opinion, overpriced and uninteresting. If you’d like the experience without reserving a month ahead, try to hunt down their food truck and get their foie gras poutine.

Fairmount Bagel (Mile-End). This is the bagel you want, and you want sesame because they’re always warm. If you must, you can go try St-Viateur (the other, inferior bagel place) which is just a couple of blocks down.

Faberge (Mile-End). Chicken and waffles, or breakfast poutine are both pretty good.

Le Chien Fumant (Mile-End). I’m hesitant to recommend it, because the service seems to be consistently bad. If you don’t mind a wait, the Chinatown squid and charcuterie plate are both great.

Kem Coba (Mile-End). Best ice cream in town. Has really interesting soft serve.

Pikolo (Downtown). Go here for coffee. It is great. Or maybe a London Fog, if coffee isn’t your thing.

Café Parvis (Downtown). The coffee isn’t quite as good as Pikolo, but the pizza is a great snack. Good pastry, too.

Bouillon Bilk (Downtown). Good, not great in my experience. Stick to their appetizers and drinks, which are quite nice-- you can get all of them to share. The lamb tartare was the highlight.

Kazu (Downtown). The salmon and tuna bowl is good, but they smaller courses like the calcium salmon are way more interesting. Don’t bother with the ramen. Expect to line up for 30-45 mins and be rushed out.

Cuisine Szechuan (Downtown). Really good, authentic chinese. The twice cooked pork, cabbage, spicy fish soup, and dan dan noodles are all great.

Lester’s (Outremont). Want smoked meat? Skip Schwartz’s. This is where it’s at.

Le Van Horne (Outremont). A bit off the beaten path. Their menu also changes frequently, but is one of the most interesting in town. Great wine pairings too. Reservations recommended. (Looks like it might be closed?)

Wilfrid sur Laurier (Outremont). The beef tartare and pork belly were both standouts. I’d get the smaller plates and plan on sharing. Not as loud as a lot of restaurants.

Leméac (Outremont). Good hardcore French bistro with a tasty brunch. The entire menu is good. The specials are often better than the standard menu. They also have maple profiteroles that aren’t on the menu. A bit loud, and the service isn’t especially personal. Laloux may be better.

Le Serpent (Old Port). Go for lunch. It’s quieter, cheaper, and excellent. If you must go at night, sit at the bar, or it gets very loud. The risotto is great, as are most of the appetizers (especially the crudi). The pasta has been hit or miss.

Le St-Urbain (Ahuntsic). Very much off the beaten path, and also has a menu that changes every week or so. Nouveau French with great wines.

Chand Palace (Park Ex). Great Indian. The vegetarian dishes, especially shahi paneer, are great.

These places seem like good bets, but I haven’t tried them.
Hostaria, Impasto, Thazard, Le Filet, Les 400 Coups, Manitoba, Nora Gray, Hotel Herman, Tuckshop, Scarpetta, GEMA, Laurea, Laloux

Want cheese? Sure you do. These are worth tracking down.
Cendrée de lune (or pleine lune)
La sauvagine
14 arpents
Riopelle
Grey Owl (goat)
Douanier
Blackburn

(Not from me, but from a friend who is very good at food who lives in Montreal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Hello, here are some restaurants to eat at:

(Not from me, but from a friend who is very good at food who lives in Montreal)

*steals list* Yoink!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Oh I also legitimately didn't like Pied de Cochon, everything was way too rich for me. The Cabane a Sucre was amazing though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

When I visited montreal in december our go-to spot was trois bresseures, they had great microbrew and decent poutine

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

MJP posted:

Other than bagels, smoked meat, poutine, and Au Pied du Cochon, any suggestions on stuff that simply cannot be found outside Montreal or Quebec in general?
Check out Tate + Yoko if you are looking for a pair of jeans. You have to get buzzed in and they come down from the factory. You can get most of the same jeans elsewhere but there are a few like the 32oz elephant that are exclusive. Notre-Dame Basilica, Chalet du Mont Royal.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mewse posted:

When I visited montreal in december our go-to spot was trois bresseures, they had great microbrew and decent poutine

Don't go here IMO, it's terrible.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

lampey posted:

Check out Tate + Yoko if you are looking for a pair of jeans. You have to get buzzed in and they come down from the factory. You can get most of the same jeans elsewhere but there are a few like the 32oz elephant that are exclusive. Notre-Dame Basilica, Chalet du Mont Royal.

I usually just go to JeansJeansJeans in the textile district. I might check this out next time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Is there a polite way of telling people that no modern military personal has fought for your freedom?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

ratbert90 posted:

Is there a polite way of telling people that no modern military personal has fought for your freedom?

:allears:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ratbert90 posted:

I feel like you would be better served by posting in D&D sometimes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

ratbert90 posted:

Tell them the last existential threat we faced got nuked.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ratbert90 posted:

Just say you bought a group of R SOLDIERS lunch at Applebee's when you saw them there the other day, they like hearing that. Preferably via email and say it brought a tear to your eye.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh god I thought I was posting in the "Idiots on Social media thread". I too am now the idiot on social media. :negative:

mewse
May 2, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Oh god I thought I was posting in the "Idiots on Social media thread". I too am now the idiot on social media. :negative:

Thank you for your service

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ratbert90 posted:

And that poster's name: Albert Einstein.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

ratbert90 posted:

mewse posted:

Thank you for your service

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I got a good mystery for everybody here

We recently rolled out 20 machines from the same image. Over the weekends we use Wake on Lan to all computers so they can be scanned. Last weekend everything is fine. This weekend, 3 computers booted to "Boot Device Not Found - install OS on Hard Disk 3F0". When the computers are booted with the power button they work just fine.

BIOS has been checked, UEFI and Legacy boot available. Booting to CD, USB, or Network is disabled. Boot order lists the HD first. Problem only happens with WOL packet.

What the gently caress is going on?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

We recently rolled out 20 machines from the same image. Over the weekends we use Wake on Lan to all computers so they can be scanned. Last weekend everything is fine. This weekend, 3 computers booted to "Boot Device Not Found - install OS on Hard Disk 3F0". When the computers are booted with the power button they work just fine.

BIOS has been checked, UEFI and Legacy boot available. Booting to CD, USB, or Network is disabled. Boot order lists the HD first. Problem only happens with WOL packet.

Asus motherboards? If so have just been scummed by a recent bad windows update.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm guessing your WOL image uses a UEFI boot partition.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Not if they're from a place that is a war zone.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Dell OptiPlex?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Terminal posted:

Dell OptiPlex?

HP ProDesk.

UEFI partition doesn't make sense to me because it worked week 1, and every other machine still works. Three machines failed in the exact same way on week 2.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
So, this week I'll be putting the finishing touches on my department overhaul, including going over best practices with my employee.

Any good reads/blogs/whatever I could point him to for supplemental information?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

larchesdanrew posted:

So, this week I'll be putting the finishing touches on my department overhaul, including going over best practices with my employee.

Any good reads/blogs/whatever I could point him to for supplemental information?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571852

:getin:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Judge Schnoopy posted:

HP ProDesk.

UEFI partition doesn't make sense to me because it worked week 1, and every other machine still works. Three machines failed in the exact same way on week 2.

All the same BIOS revision? Have you tried resetting to defaults to test? Checked SATA cables and ports inside to make sure there's no hardware fault?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
A ticket.. was sent to the IT dist list instead of the ticketing system.

"Unable to log on to car"

I'm sure it was a auto-correct thing, but it made me go 'what' for a second

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Danith posted:

I had a server named CAR once... And didn't know about it til I was contacted regarding it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

larchesdanrew posted:

Your posting history in this thread. Let him know you've seen it all before.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Wont they just take all of that info to the MSP that they pay for some reason and then blame you for anything that goes wrong later?

Seriously though good luck. I guess I'd start with ITIL or something if you really are starting from the basics with this place and need a good framework to build off of.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Danith posted:

I have to log into my car to start the a/c remotely. If I was having issues, I'd email the right list though.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Wont they just take all of that info to the MSP that they pay for some reason and then blame you for anything that goes wrong later?

Seriously though good luck. I guess I'd start with ITIL or something if you really are starting from the basics with this place and need a good framework to build off of.

I deal with the MSP. I'm focusing on things like "how to talk to users like a human being" and "how to personally investigate issues instead of assuming based on user descriptions" and "hygiene" and "don't wait 13 days to respond to a Java update ticket"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

larchesdanrew posted:

I deal with the MSP. I'm focusing on things like "how to talk to users like a human being" and "how to personally investigate issues instead of assuming based on user descriptions" and "hygiene" and "don't wait 13 days to respond to a Java update ticket"

If you find yourself needing to relay "best practices" for basic job requirements, maybe it's time to hire someone else and let this joker go.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

larchesdanrew posted:

Remember when you got hired and that guy was a dick to you because he wanted that job?

Can you imagine how he'd collapse if he actually did get your job?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

If you find yourself needing to relay "best practices" for basic job requirements, maybe it's time to hire someone else and let this joker go.

Trust me, it's come up. Multiple times. I'm being pressured by administration to get rid of him because no one likes him. But he's got a new baby at home and he's also more familiar with some of our systems than I'm comfortable teaching/running solo right this minute.

I'm hoping this rebranding will either help straighten him out or at least give me the empirical proof I need that he's hopeless.

I'm not going to fire the guy without doing my best to give him a fair shot.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

larchesdanrew posted:

Trust me, it's come up. Multiple times. I'm being pressured by administration to get rid of him because no one likes him. But he's got a new baby at home and he's also more familiar with some of our systems than I'm comfortable teaching/running solo right this minute.

I'm hoping this rebranding will either help straighten him out or at least give me the empirical proof I need that he's hopeless.

If basic hygiene is a concern, as you mentioned above, I suspect he's already in over his head, and needs to be busted down a rung or two.

I don't care how deep south you are, a daily shower and deodorant are not negotiable in a professional environment.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

larchesdanrew posted:

Try a "firm but fair" approach.

Do a verbal warning. Then a written one. Then a final notice. Then adios!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Wizard of the Deep posted:

If basic hygiene is a concern, as you mentioned above, I suspect he's already in over his head, and needs to be busted down a rung or two.

I don't care how deep south you are, a daily shower and deodorant are not negotiable in a professional environment.

Hygiene can be trickier than that. Sometimes people just legitimately never learn how it all works. Second, poor hygiene can be a sign of depression.

Take this slowly and carefully, cover all the bases, give the employee all the tools they need to succeed.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

lampey posted:

Are we talking reasonably priced and do they come in 36x34? I am not a jeans snob but appreciate a good fit.

I have only until Saturday, alas, and my wife has gastroparesis. Food must be planned and scouted to make sure there's something she can order, but this is one heck of a list and I am going to have trouble convincing Border Patrol that I have nothing to declare when there's a clattering of glass bottles in my trunk from a run through the cideries district tomorrow. That us the maple whisky.

Do they let you pay the import duties with a credit card?

Meanwhile both our midway hotel and our Montreal Airbnb both left their wireless routers' admin passwords as the default :(

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MJP posted:

Meanwhile both our midway hotel and our Montreal Airbnb both left their wireless routers' admin passwords as the default :(

I usually let them know the new password on the way out, and tell them what I did to improve performance and security. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Myrmidongs posted:

So I have the misfortune of being the lowliest of tech workers: the retail schlub.

Customer brought a computer in today, just wanted an upgrade to Windows 10. Super easy. Grabbed one of the flash drives we have that have the upgrade on it. Make sure its the correct drive. The retail demo drives are all marked Demo. Drive is unmarked. Pop drive in, start upgrade. Finish upgrade, reboot annnnnnnnd gently caress. gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. Someone left an unmarked retail demo copy of Windows 10 in our bin of drives. Now we get to pull the drive, and try to run a data recovery program to see if we can manage to get their files.

God dammit.

So update on this.

We ran a recovery program, found a few pictures, but most were corrupt. Lady came in, I explained what had happened, and prepared to be ripped a new one. She didn't even care, said all her pictures were still on her camera anyway, and didnt care about her documents. She did care about her email, but she uses Yahoo so she didn't lose anything. Nobody at work was mad at me as it was something (mostly) out of my control. Despite our absolute poo poo internet, we're just gonna have all upgrades that come in from now on download it and have banned the upgrade flash drives.

Also a tech position opened up in my wife's school district, so I'm gonna apply to that and pray to at least get out of retail.

• Locked thread