Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gently caress SNEEP posted:

is this the yotj thread now? i haven't been on yopspos for 3 years because I've been busy with college. but now i'm done. hello yospos

what was the yotj thread? this predates me slightly I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
he's probably thinking of the cjs thread? i don't think i've seen yotj used outside of sh/sc

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

you know before i installed watcom i never realized how much i lean on intellisense to tell me how to C++

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

great my ADD kicked in, I saw someone in the grey forums who's writing a DOS MIDI player and visualizer in Watcom C and now I want to autism my way into making a DOS game like I have since 1994

I fight these urges with weed

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ctps: verilog is a miserable language to parse

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

AWWNAW posted:

I fight these urges with weed

not legal here yet!!!

anyway i figured out how to write to video memory with DOS4/GW and can write 8x8 tiles to a VGA mode 13 screen, i wish i would have been able to figure this out 20 years ago so i could be a shareware zillionaire

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

anyway i figured out how to write to video memory with DOS4/GW and can write 8x8 tiles to a VGA mode 13 screen, i wish i would have been able to figure this out 20 years ago so i could be a shareware zillionaire

20 years ago you didn't have to figure it out yourself, you just had to read Michael Abrash's columns in Dr. Dobb's Journal

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

anthonypants posted:

he's probably thinking of the cjs thread? i don't think i've seen yotj used outside of sh/sc

oh that might've been it. i never posted in sh/sc so i don't remember any of it...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

eschaton posted:

20 years ago you didn't have to figure it out yourself, you just had to read Michael Abrash's columns in Dr. Dobb's Journal

and here I am writing my own text rendering routines like a sucker

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

fleshweasel posted:

basically if you are still making GBS threads your pants about how bad jsx looks or something, you don't understand react yet, so just keep working with it, and you'll get how simple and good it is.

This is 100% correct. I spent all weekend fiddling with React (and flux a little bit) and yeah, for jarvascript, it's pretty good. I wish the React docs were worth a poo poo, though.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

what was the yotj thread? this predates me slightly I think

I thought it was this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571852

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
believe it or don't but there's two more of those "complain about being a computer janitor" threads

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i have a theory that the main draw to a cj job is getting the ability to bitch about how dumb everyone is

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

whats up you idiots. how do i write good unit tests and make it easy for people to write their own loving unit tests instead of making me do it. what's a good book, or maybe blog. help me out here. come on.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i met the mythical 100x programmer today. he was some contractor a customer employs to write custom poo poo for them, and he has some interesting ideas

my favorite is that he doesnt believe in using if-then-else for control flow at all. he thinks "if then" is 1960s technology, as irrelevant to modern programming as gotos (his words). he showed me some of his code, and he will seriously bend over backwards never to write an if, even for a simple conditional check. here's an example of one of his made up idioms:

code:
public int isOdd(int num){
     while(num%2!=0) return 0;
     return 1;}
style imitates what i saw in his code, though the function is just pulled out of my rear end because he frequently embedded screenfulls of logic into these while blocks that were obviously meant to run only once. i just do not understand where he go these crazy ideas, but he stays employed because he apparently does 90+ hours a week with no overtime on the regular. just loves to write this bad code all day.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i met the mythical 100x programmer today. he was some contractor a customer employs to write custom poo poo for them, and he has some interesting ideas

my favorite is that he doesnt believe in using if-then-else for control flow at all. he thinks "if then" is 1960s technology, as irrelevant to modern programming as gotos (his words). he showed me some of his code, and he will seriously bend over backwards never to write an if, even for a simple conditional check. here's an example of one of his made up idioms:

code:
     return 1;}
style imitates what i saw in his code, though the function is just pulled out of my rear end because he frequently embedded screenfulls of logic into these while blocks that were obviously meant to run only once. i just do not understand where he go these crazy ideas, but he stays employed because he apparently does 90+ hours a week with no overtime on the regular. just loves to write this bad code all day.

:wtc:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

GameCube posted:

whats up you idiots. how do i write good unit tests and make it easy for people to write their own loving unit tests instead of making me do it. what's a good book, or maybe blog. help me out here. come on.

the art of unit testing is really good

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
hahahaha, i hosed myself up trying to imitate his terrible code and that function is actually isEven

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

code:
     return 1;}

I bet he is the guy that made that OOP hate video.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

raminasi posted:

the art of unit testing is really good

it's fifty freakin bucks and we don't have safari books. agh

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

GameCube posted:

rip

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my test passes more frequently, but still not all of the time. love it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hmm. the ebook alone is 35 smackeroos. i'm poor right now, though - and, soon, i'll be even more poor... house-poor.. i wonder if i can convince someone to buy this book for me.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

since joining the team two weeks ago i've added 200 unit tests. lomarf.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

ok, fine, i'll ask and out myself as not one of the cool kids. what's the deal with "lomarf"?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

HoboMan posted:

ok, fine, i'll ask and out myself as not one of the cool kids. what's the deal with "lomarf"?

a lomarf is the smallest possible unit of funny computer

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

HoboMan posted:

lomarf

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

code:
     return 1;}

i sort of get where he is coming from. it's the feeling that if you need if statements, youve modeled the problem incorrectly.

im just saying i catch myself doing things in a bad way vecai wanted to avoid conditionals for an irrational reason

i think if you deal with oo languages a lot, especially ones with many layers of abstraction like enterprise java code, it's easy to forget that at the bottom of your DI and encapsulation and SOLID turtles, there's a switch statement and that's just fine.

these days i am sort of just embracing the switch statement. it's like a big line of demarcation in my code that says 'hey, you know all of that logic we've been hand waving away with fancy oo code? yeah this here is where we deal with it'

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

HoboMan posted:

:chome:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

these days i am sort of just embracing the switch statement. it's like a big line of demarcation in my code that says 'hey, you know all of that logic we've been hand waving away with fancy oo code? yeah this here is where we deal with it'

I wish somebody would make a popular language with a switch statement that was a SLOC savings over if-else

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Some uni in Bolivia has the PDFs on their website lol

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

use library genesis

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HoboMan posted:

lomarf

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

a lomarf is the smallest possible unit of funny computer

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

LordSaturn posted:

:chome:

I wish somebody would make a popular language with a switch statement that was a SLOC savings over if-else

mls (ocaml, haskell, f#, elm), erlangs (erlang, elixir, lfe), rust, scala, clojure or prolog?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

LordSaturn posted:

if-else chains are a sequence of conditional checks and jumps. they're executed in order and a lengthy has worse runtime than a switch. LOC is irrelevant

verilog has amazing case statements that don't really make sense outside of hardware. the control expression and case values can be interchanged, i.e. control expressions can be constant and case values variables. there's casex and casez which support dont-care and high-impedance values. there are keywords 'unique' and 'priority', although they just map to simulation assertions and help the synthesizer with optimizations.

like this is perfectly legal:
code:
priority case(3'b101)
    {ISR1_reg, 2'b01}: ...
    {ISR2_reg, 2'b01}: ...
    {2'b10, ISR3_reg}: ...
endcase

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i sort of get where he is coming from. it's the feeling that if you need if statements, youve modeled the problem incorrectly.

im just saying i catch myself doing things in a bad way vecai wanted to avoid conditionals for an irrational reason

i think if you deal with oo languages a lot, especially ones with many layers of abstraction like enterprise java code, it's easy to forget that at the bottom of your DI and encapsulation and SOLID turtles, there's a switch statement and that's just fine.

Now that you say this, in the python project imbworking on just now, Indont think I've seen many uses of if-then-else, it's all just really crazy inheritance and extreme OOIsm (that makes it hard to understand the flow of what's happening to virgin eyes)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

LordSaturn posted:

swift

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

JawnV6 posted:

if-else chains are a sequence of conditional checks and jumps. they're executed in order and a lengthy has worse runtime than a switch. LOC is irrelevant

at my C shop, every single letter of code I write has to pass review by people who don't understand pointer arithmetic. LOC is absolutely relevant. obviousness is king.

a new language obviously wouldn't help me, I was just curious to see what language would do it better than C

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

GameCube posted:

hmm. the ebook alone is 35 smackeroos. i'm poor right now, though - and, soon, i'll be even more poor... house-poor.. i wonder if i can convince someone to buy this book for me.

a used paperback version is like $25. i don't know your financial situation but i think it's worth $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

raminasi posted:

a used paperback version is like $25. i don't know your financial situation but i think it's worth $50.

i'm so freaking poor that i got myself a library card last week.

• Locked thread