Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
After seeing the Pine64 debacle unfold I'm not even mad that they aren't using the new chip to its fullest potential. Whether it's a legit excuse for them to play the 'education' card is a different issue, but they made the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The only reason why we have the RPi is because of the "only meant for education" excuse. Without that entire mission statement then the people who donated their very expensive time and effort wouldn't of done it and the RPi foundation wouldn't of got the sweetheart deal with Broadcom for their IP.

The RPi foundation is not a private company that can react to how the market is going and switch customers, it's a charitable foundation that requires it to be focused purely on education. Any money it makes from selling Pi's has to be spent on education.

If you don't like that and the Pi doesn't suite you then buy another one, the RPi foundation can't focus on the hacking community without massive legal problems.

But education isn't hurt by finally using a new GPU after 4 years or finally moving everything from the SD card to network connectivity off a single USB 2.0 bus? What makes you think there would be "massive legal problems" from making some components suck less? They've already made the CPU suck a lot less twice now!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's not a huge incentive to upgrade the GPU, the Pi will push a 1080p screen all day long, which is the main use case for it. 4K screen adoption rate is low, and probably even lower in public schools. If massively parallel computing computer science becomes a thing in the K-8 world they might have some incentive to upgrade it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The idea that the Raspberry Pi Foundation is legally obligated to produce a poorly performing, faulty, or otherwise substandard product because they're a nonprofit or serve the education market is facially absurd.

Besides, having hardware that performs well in real-world use-cases is absolutely vital for educational hardware. Maybe the education in question here is learning OpenGL in a graphics programming course, or learning to sysadmin a NAS server, or build a web application with a database backend. People want hardware that does those things well because those are common problems that need to be solved in the real world.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hadlock posted:

There's not a huge incentive to upgrade the GPU, the Pi will push a 1080p screen all day long, which is the main use case for it. 4K screen adoption rate is low, and probably even lower in public schools. If massively parallel computing computer science becomes a thing in the K-8 world they might have some incentive to upgrade it.

An improved GPU means it's far more useful because far more things can run on it all, or run on it better. Or hell, it can even be used primarily for teaching basic small-scale general purpose GPU coding stuff.

And no, it can't really push a 1080p screen all day long acceptably in a lot of use cases, the GPU just isn't powerful enough because it's a design originally intended for 640x480 smartphone screens of 10 years ago, slightly upclocked in the 3 model.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fishmech posted:

An improved GPU means it's far more useful because far more things can run on it all, or run on it better. Or hell, it can even be used primarily for teaching basic small-scale general purpose GPU coding stuff.

Switch to a product that isn't poo poo :shrug:

The NVIDIA Jetson TK1 has 192 Kepler cores. That's not super fast in gaming PC terms but it's pretty beefy for a single-board computer. Enough for teaching OpenGL or whatever, and it has CUDA Compute Capability 3.2 so you could even teach GPU compute stuff. There's also the even-more-powerful TX1 if you have too much money but the cost is pretty steep for what it is.

edit: apparently you can run Ubuntu on an NVIDIA Shield TV, which gets you a TX1 devkit-style machine for $200 instead of $600. Doesn't seem to be officially supported but there's builds up on XDA-developers.

Or, something like the Liva X gets you Celeron-grade 7th-gen Intel HD Graphics. I can actually verify that it will push a 4K@30hz desktop under Linux. However, a similar machine I tried with a 2957U wouldn't step up to 4K under Windows, the official Intel drivers for Windows didn't like it, but it did work fine under OpenELEC.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 22, 2016

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Paul MaudDib posted:

The idea that the Raspberry Pi Foundation is legally obligated to produce a poorly performing, faulty, or otherwise substandard product because they're a nonprofit or serve the education market is facially absurd.

Besides, having hardware that performs well in real-world use-cases is absolutely vital for educational hardware. Maybe the education in question here is learning OpenGL in a graphics programming course, or learning to sysadmin a NAS server, or build a web application with a database backend. People want hardware that does those things well because those are common problems that need to be solved in the real world.

The thing is the Pi isn't poorly performing for the use case it was built for. It is a basic computer for basic computing tasks on the cheap for the education market and it does that in spades. The cases for a better graphics chip or better USB/Lan throughput are not for the education market.

You can already build a website with a database backend and have it work well on a Pi. A NAS also works well as a learning tool on a Pi and for anything other than gigabyte files is ok. Open GL can be done on the Pi as well but if you need more power then you should have graduated from a Pi to a proper computer. A Pi is to learn the principles of computing on the cheap and as a stepping stone to an actual PC. For that it is fantastic.

Just because it's not perfect for you is your tough luck as you are not the market. The Pi has done far more for the maker community than the community has ever done for it but that is just a happy accident.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The thing is the Pi isn't poorly performing for the use case it was built for. It is a basic computer for basic computing tasks on the cheap for the education market and it does that in spades. The cases for a better graphics chip or better USB/Lan throughput are not for the education market.

Have you not used a school computer since 1997 or something? There's nothing about "educational" that requires that the GPU be horrible. Nobody's asking for the latest GTX whatever they're up to now to be in there, but just to move the GPU tech forward about the same number of years that the Pi 3 CPU is compared to the Pi 1.

The constraints were more than acceptable 4 years ago because they were absolutely necessary to bring in the low cost factor. they're really not acceptable now, especially since let's face it a ton of the sales are not for "education" they're for other niches which subsidize the education part of their goal.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Foxtrot_13 posted:

You can already build a website with a database backend and have it work well on a Pi. A NAS also works well as a learning tool on a Pi and for anything other than gigabyte files is ok. Open GL can be done on the Pi as well but if you need more power then you should have graduated from a Pi to a proper computer. A Pi is to learn the principles of computing on the cheap and as a stepping stone to an actual PC. For that it is fantastic.

Database writes will destroy the SD card in no time flat. Both database and fileserving are horrifically bottlenecked by the insistence on using USB 2.0 as a system bus - sequential operations are kinda bad and random operations are brutal. The fact that the Pi will launch Samba or Postgres does not make it a good platform for doing those things, even for "learning the basics of computing". If that's what you want, there are better jack-of-all-trades single-board computers around for the same price. The only niche in which the Pi actually excels is ultra-low-cost hobbyist projects.

The Pi needs a better GPU, it needs SATA, and it needs a better LAN (with at least a dedicated USB channel, if not direct-attached or gigabit). It probably also needs USB 3.0, especially if they insist on using USB as a system bus. You can put a lot more bandwidth and a lot more IOPS over USB 3.0. These aren't unreasonable requests, there are other devices priced similarly to the Raspberry Pi that do provide these things. Like it or not, that's the ante at the table in 2016.

quote:

Just because it's not perfect for you is your tough luck as you are not the market. The Pi has done far more for the maker community than the community has ever done for it but that is just a happy accident.

Nah, the maker community has done far, far more for the Pi than the other way around. The amount of time that the maker community has put into building a hardware/software ecosystem around the Pi exceeds the time contributions of the Raspberry Pi foundation by at least a factor of 100, and you could probably add another few zeroes too. The community has willingly and eagerly engineered around all of the Pi's limitations and shortcomings. Bad sound? Here's a DAC board. It destroys SD cards? Here's a crossboot to a USB stick. In some cases they've even provided hardware mods to fix bugs in the board design (eg bypassing the polyfuse to fix voltage drops to the USB port).

The only things they can't fix are the basic hardware design and the closed-source blobs from Broadcom, at least not while using the Raspberry Pi name. That's where the Banana Pi and other improved designs come in. If the Raspberry Pi Foundation won't fix their design flaws, someone else will do it for them.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 22, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jeeze if you need a functional linux computer Amazon, Newegg etc are having a firesale on the Intel Compute Stick with the Atom processors, $65 shipped, comes with 8GB eMMC, wifi, 1GB ram. For $85 you can get a Chromebit CS10 (chrome stick) with 16GB eMMC, 2GB ram, also comes with power supply.

Doesn't have direct access to GPIO on a Linux board, which is the big selling point of the device for me. If you need a computer science machine you can always pickup a refurb Thinkpad for $150.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In slightly more amusing events:

http://pockulus.getchip.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTqBYDyY_wY

You need to 3D print the "cardboard" part, but yeah.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hadlock posted:

Jeeze if you need a functional linux computer Amazon, Newegg etc are having a firesale on the Intel Compute Stick with the Atom processors, $65 shipped, comes with 8GB eMMC, wifi, 1GB ram. For $85 you can get a Chromebit CS10 (chrome stick) with 16GB eMMC, 2GB ram, also comes with power supply.

Doesn't have direct access to GPIO on a Linux board, which is the big selling point of the device for me. If you need a computer science machine you can always pickup a refurb Thinkpad for $150.

The Liva X also drops down to $75-80 after rebate pretty frequently, and I'm a big fan of that series. Or if you have a Microcenter nearby you can build out a full AM1 system pretty cheaply - $40 for the mobo/CPU at Microcenter, $50-65 for case+PSU (RS-MI-01 or Minibox M350+80W PicoPSU), $20 for a stick of RAM, and $38 for a cheapo 120GB SSD. So about $150 out the door for something that'll beat the pants off an Atom (not really a fan of Atoms personally). And yeah old Thinkpads are dirt cheap, but you have to swap out a few components to bring them up to par - at least adding an SSD, maybe also adding memory and replacing cooling modules or keyboards. They're great once you do though.

If you have reasonable GPIO requirements the Bus Pirate is pretty nice. You can also dev on a real machine and swap in a Pi later when the project is finishing up. If you have really demanding GPIO requirements it may not be enough though.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Has anyone used something like Pushbullet to send notifications from your phone to an RPi GUI? I think it'd be neat to throw texts and incoming calls up on the wall with a pocket projector.

Kodi has a Pushbullet addon but I've never used either one to know if it'll do what I want.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Anybody got a cheap, but functional UPS setup for a Pi that could be used in a car to do a clean shutdown when the car's shut off? I could probably build something with some work, but if it already exists I'd rather not reinvent the wheel. The goal here is to set up RetroPie on my in-car entertainment system for my kid to use on long rides, but I don't want the SD card to get corrupted by it powering off unexpectedly when we go to get out of the car.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

G-Prime posted:

Anybody got a cheap, but functional UPS setup for a Pi that could be used in a car to do a clean shutdown when the car's shut off? I could probably build something with some work, but if it already exists I'd rather not reinvent the wheel. The goal here is to set up RetroPie on my in-car entertainment system for my kid to use on long rides, but I don't want the SD card to get corrupted by it powering off unexpectedly when we go to get out of the car.

You've got a nice big UPS up under the hood of your car. How about this?

http://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.com/collections/car-power-supply-switches/products/3a-car-supply-switch

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
You make a very good point. Ideally, though, I'd like to not have to wire stuff in directly. My thought was to utilize the number of lighter sockets in the vehicle to convert to USB, have the UPS setup connected to that, and the Pi to there. The sockets shut off entirely when the ignition is shut off, so that'd disengage power to the UPS, which could then initiate a shutdown.

If I can't get that figured out though, your idea's a solid one, and I'll have to try it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

G-Prime posted:

You make a very good point. Ideally, though, I'd like to not have to wire stuff in directly. My thought was to utilize the number of lighter sockets in the vehicle to convert to USB, have the UPS setup connected to that, and the Pi to there. The sockets shut off entirely when the ignition is shut off, so that'd disengage power to the UPS, which could then initiate a shutdown.

If I can't get that figured out though, your idea's a solid one, and I'll have to try it.

I remember reading about a few of these UPS hats for Pis, but haven't used one myself:
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/breakout-boards/pi-modules/ups-pico
https://www.pi-supply.com/product/pi-ups-uninterrupted-power-supply-raspberry-pi/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

fishmech posted:

Have you not used a school computer since 1997 or something? There's nothing about "educational" that requires that the GPU be horrible. Nobody's asking for the latest GTX whatever they're up to now to be in there, but just to move the GPU tech forward about the same number of years that the Pi 3 CPU is compared to the Pi 1.

The constraints were more than acceptable 4 years ago because they were absolutely necessary to bring in the low cost factor. they're really not acceptable now, especially since let's face it a ton of the sales are not for "education" they're for other niches which subsidize the education part of their goal.
Going by what little I know about the education system, the cheaper the product, the more willing the school. I honestly don't know: is the Raspberry Pi Foundation deliberately and stupidly picking lovely parts, when they could build a significantly better system at the exact same price point and not a buck more?

The Pi's success as an educational product partly depends on it being as cheap to produce as possible. And are these made in the UK? Better tighten that budget further because it can't be made in an area with more relaxed labor laws.

Do schools demand better stuff? Well, I guess they can flock to the Pi's superior competition.

The Pi 3 is a dang puzzlement, though, because it seemed like an opportunity to respond with a better quality board more suited to the hobbyist, simultaneously roping in the huge community, without getting away from the meat and potatoes of the educational market. Maybe one of the board members has a lot of stock in the crap component industry.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Just stopping in to say doing simple things with the pine 64 is all around an unfun experience. It hangs up and crashes a lot, and even though the pine64 folks sold a HDMI to DVI adapter from their site, it's not compatible with this - rude awakening to me because I thought those adapters were hardware agnostic.

The money would have been better spent on a 2nd Raspberry Pi 3 or something else. That said, I'm not a developer and I'm just looking to have some media sharing and casual gaming on a little box.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

doctorfrog posted:

Going by what little I know about the education system, the cheaper the product, the more willing the school. I honestly don't know: is the Raspberry Pi Foundation deliberately and stupidly picking lovely parts, when they could build a significantly better system at the exact same price point and not a buck more?

The Pi's success as an educational product partly depends on it being as cheap to produce as possible. And are these made in the UK? Better tighten that budget further because it can't be made in an area with more relaxed labor laws.

They like to trumpet they're "100% made in the UK" and then they go run off another batch from China.

I obviously don't have the BOM but I suspect the problem is they're overspending on the SoC and underspending on the other components they should be putting on the board. At the end of the day an ARM CPU is basically a commodity product and they have a lot of alternatives they could have chosen, anything from Samsung down to Chinese parts. It's obviously feasible to make a higher-quality product at a lower price, otherwise the ODROID, Banana Pi, etc would not be able to do so - especially given their much, much lower sales volume.

And just a few posts ago people were trumpeting how their primary concern was supposed to be producing an educational product. Wouldn't it better serve those ends to offer a better product and not try to be a jobs programme in disguise?

The SoC has other unfortunate side effects - Broadcom is one of the worst companies on the planet in terms of getting access to drivers and documentation. It's virtually impossible to do, and there are significant parts of the drivers that are closed-source and inaccessible to anyone outside of the Raspberry Pi Foundation. And the Raspberry Pi Foundation doesn't have the manpower or the talent to fix the problems by themselves. It took almost two years after the Pi's launch for them to get the USB stack to stop dropping frames when running at USB 2.0 speeds - which is a major problem for a device that uses USB as a system bus. The community is more than willing to help but they can't fix closed-source binary blobs.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 23, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I got a RPi 3 the other week and put RetroPi on it, and was able to get my PS3 controller to connect fine, but I wanted a better gamepad.

I got an 8BitDo SFC30 controller, but no matter what I do I can't get it to connect.

Short summary:
Installed RetroPi and got my PS3 controller to connect fine. Was able to play games.
A week later, I got the 8BitDo, and it wouldn't connect in the Bluetooth settings menu. In fact, just selecting the Connect Bluetooth device in the settings menu caused a crash with a blinking cursor at the bottom of the screen, exactly like this post: http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/register-and-connect-to-bluetooth-device-not-working/

I tried all those suggestions, but nothing worked. I eventually reformatted the card and re-imaged RetroPi. This time, I didn't bother connecting my PS3 controller. I actually WAS able to get my 8BitDo to connect in the Bluetooth menu in the settings once, but then EmulationStation wouldn't ever see it so I'd be stuck at the "attach a controller" screen when it boooted. I read a few more things, like this and this but I know almost nothing about Linux, so a lot is going over my head. And after doing those install bluetooth commands, it no longer can connect in the settings menu. It says no bluetooth devices found.

Since I did get it to connect once after a fresh install, I think I'll try that one more time. I think I wasn't powering on the controller right the first time, that reddit post mentions I need to power it on AFTER I see the "connect a controller" screen, and I might not have done that the first time.

But if that doesn't work, any other suggestions?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

doctorfrog posted:

Do schools demand better stuff? Well, I guess they can flock to the Pi's superior competition.

The Pi 3 is a dang puzzlement, though, because it seemed like an opportunity to respond with a better quality board more suited to the hobbyist, simultaneously roping in the huge community, without getting away from the meat and potatoes of the educational market. Maybe one of the board members has a lot of stock in the crap component industry.

They've somehow managed to upgrade the CPU twice and mildly overclock the GPU once in the past 4 years. What makes you think that getting a new GPU would magically skyrocket the cost? What makes you think moving off a USB 2.0 bus for both storage and network would skyrocket the cost?

I'm going to be blunt: schools barely use the drat thing. Schools primarily use full on x86 and these days x86-64 computers that cost easily 10x as much as a Pi. I get that the gimmick of the project is that it's supposed to be for the schools but it's never been something particularly useful for a school unless they're specifically after GPIO applications - which most schools never touch. Hell the "low" price often gets outweighed by the costs of input devices, displays etc - and don't forget a case so little Timmy doesn't spill his lunch on it. But it's not like it's less useful to schools if bottlenecks are removed in the Pi 4!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

The SoC has other unfortunate side effects - Broadcom is one of the worst companies on the planet in terms of getting access to drivers and documentation. It's virtually impossible to do, and there are significant parts of the drivers that are closed-source and inaccessible to anyone outside of the Raspberry Pi Foundation. And the Raspberry Pi Foundation doesn't have the manpower or the talent to fix the problems by themselves. It took almost two years after the Pi's launch for them to get the USB stack to stop dropping frames when running at USB 2.0 speeds - which is a major problem for a device that uses USB as a system bus. The community is more than willing to help but they can't fix closed-source binary blobs.

But, as it happens, the Pi GPU is about the only mobile GPU that is actually fully documented. The only competition there is Adreno which was reverse engineered. Give props to Broadcom, that puts them way ahead of ARM, Imagination Tech etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

feedmegin posted:

But, as it happens, the Pi GPU is about the only mobile GPU that is actually fully documented.

Only as of like 2014, and then only after it'd been on sale since at least 2009.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

It ran THPS2 fine for me, although something felt off. It can't run dual disc games at all oddly.

I like my Pi but yeah, youcan do better just buying a cheap Wii 1 and softmodding that for emulation.

Right now I use my pi to gently caress around in my works museum and do itneractive exhibits

Good thing I still have my Wii with the Homebrew channel I added on long ago with the Twilight Hack. :getin:

For now, though, I have a huge Steam backlog to work on. I started Fez and Jet Set Radio and they look and play perfectly on my TV.

Some twitchy games, like platformers, seem to have a bit of input lag. But I don't know if that's just me being sensitive to it after years of playing rhythm games with tight timing windows.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fishmech posted:

Only as of like 2014, and then only after it'd been on sale since at least 2009.

Sure, but we're talking about 'why don't they switch to a different SoC for the Pi 4'. This is a reason why.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

feedmegin posted:

Sure, but we're talking about 'why don't they switch to a different SoC for the Pi 4'. This is a reason why.

It isn't though. There was no full documentation to the public for multiple years that the Pi was using the SoC. It has no bearing on it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fishmech posted:

It isn't though. There was no full documentation to the public for multiple years that the Pi was using the SoC. It has no bearing on it.

We are now in the year 2016 where that documentation exists. If they keep the same family of SoC for the Pi 4 that documentation will continue to exist, be useful and relevant. If instead they switch to a SoC with eg a Mali GPU then we go from having a documented GPU with the potential for fully open-source drivers for everything to one that is not documented and can only be accessed via a binary blob. I'm not sure why this is unclear.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

feedmegin posted:

But, as it happens, the Pi GPU is about the only mobile GPU that is actually fully documented. The only competition there is Adreno which was reverse engineered. Give props to Broadcom, that puts them way ahead of ARM, Imagination Tech etc.

Nah, Intel has a well-documented and fully open-source GPU ecosystem for quite a while now. But I guess Baytrail-T isn't a mobile processor because ~*reasons*~

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 25, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fishmech posted:

The other thing is that as long as someone is actually responsive and fixing bugs, open-source isn't a huge deal. For example, NVIDIA is a closed-source driver but their desktop drivers work fine (and I assume Tegra does too) because they respond to bug reports. I'm not RMS over here - it's great if open-source drivers exist but mostly I just want someone to fix the damned bugs.

When push comes to shove there's no responsible party who will buckle down and fix the RPi - Broadcom doesn't give a poo poo, the RPi Foundation doesn't have the manpower, and the community can't fix it because there's no documentation or drivers. It took the RPi foundation two full years to fix a (known, documented, reproducible) show-stopping bug in their USB stack (#19 on their GitHub issue tracker).

And it's worth noting that the Pi's GPU still needs binary blobs to run - what Broadcom released in 2014 was the OpenGL/shader stack but that's still just another shim to another layer that's still only available in blob form. And again, the GPU on the Pi actually starts up the CPU, not the other way around, so that's kind of a big deal.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 25, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

And it's worth noting that the Pi's GPU still needs binary blobs to run - what Broadcom released in 2014 was the OpenGL/shader stack but that's still just another shim to another layer that's still only available in blob form. And again, the GPU on the Pi actually starts up the CPU, not the other way around, so that's kind of a big deal.

Err, no, there's machine-code-level documentation for that stuff, look, here's someone using it here -

https://petewarden.com/2014/08/07/how-to-optimize-raspberry-pi-code-using-its-gpu/

The bootloader is currently closed-source, but there is enough info out there for it to be replaced, and here's someone else working on that here -

https://github.com/christinaa/rpi-open-firmware

Edit: as for an open 3d driver, that's this -

https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/VC4/

I admit Intel is as good from that point of view, I hadn't considered their mobile stuff, but if you want open, well-documented graphics on ARM VideoCore is genuinely currently your best bet.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 25, 2016

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The last time I looked into it, the furthest you could get into the Pi GPU with nothing but open source after the bootloader is a dumb framebuffer for eg. kernel direct rendering. That was last year.

I'm not a FOSS crusader by any stretch but if you're going for open source all the way, the Raspberry Pi is not a good platform for it. An Intel compute stick is more expensive but also likely a lot more open, so...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

feedmegin posted:

Err, no, there's machine-code-level documentation for that stuff, look, here's someone using it here -

https://petewarden.com/2014/08/07/how-to-optimize-raspberry-pi-code-using-its-gpu/

I didn't say that the ISA wasn't documented, I said what was open-sourced was just a shim into another closed-source driver (actually a full RTOS, ThreadX I believe). Which it is.

It's nice that someone is working on fixing that though. Not gonna hold my breath, but sure, if they succeed it'll be a big step forward.

feedmegin posted:

I admit Intel is as good from that point of view, I hadn't considered their mobile stuff, but if you want open, well-documented graphics on ARM VideoCore is genuinely currently your best bet.

I don't really care about architecture as long as stuff runs on it. x86 is fine. Great, even.

If I was going to going to do heavy graphics stuff on ARM it would probably be an NVIDIA Tegra. You'll note that's the solution most serious embedded applications (automotive, etc) are going with, it's for a reason. NVIDIA may be closed-source but their hardware is in an entirely different league and they have some top-notch neckbeards in charge of their drivers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

feedmegin posted:

We are now in the year 2016 where that documentation exists. If they keep the same family of SoC for the Pi 4 that documentation will continue to exist, be useful and relevant. If instead they switch to a SoC with eg a Mali GPU then we go from having a documented GPU with the potential for fully open-source drivers for everything to one that is not documented and can only be accessed via a binary blob. I'm not sure why this is unclear.

But that is again irrelevant, because by using the SoC for years before any large scale public documentation was out, the Pi foundation indicated they don't require public documentation to use an SoC. And you still need a bunch of binary blobs even with all this documentation for this chipset, so it's not even providing the benefit you seem to think they're relying on.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fishmech posted:

But that is again irrelevant, because by using the SoC for years before any large scale public documentation was out, the Pi foundation indicated they don't require public documentation to use an SoC. And you still need a bunch of binary blobs even with all this documentation for this chipset, so it's not even providing the benefit you seem to think they're relying on.

I'm not saying they are relying on it. I'm saying it would be good for us, the consumer. I would assume the reason they're doing it is maximum backwards compatibility.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

fishmech posted:

And no, it can't really push a 1080p screen all day long acceptably in a lot of use cases, the GPU just isn't powerful enough because it's a design originally intended for 640x480 smartphone screens of 10 years ago, slightly upclocked in the 3 model.

Tell this to my Pi 1 Model B+ unit that pushes 1080p with AC3/DTS audio hours per day with literally zero hiccups. Although maybe it's because it's streamed from somewhere else, so this may be a moot point and I'm an idiot. I honestly have no idea. You're probably right, playing it locally would likely crumble it. Or not, I honestly do not know. :psyduck:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 25, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

eightysixed posted:

Tell this to my Pi 1 Model B+ unit that pushes 1080p with AC3/DTS audio hours per day with literally zero hiccups. Although maybe it's because it's streamed from somewhere else, so this may be a moot point and I'm an idiot. I honestly have no idea. You're probably right, playing it locally would likely crumble it. Or not, I honestly do not know. :psyduck:

I'm able to do the same locally from a USB 3 stick (I know the Pi is only 2.0), although it is significantly overclocked.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

I'm able to do the same locally from a USB 3 stick (I know the Pi is only 2.0), although it is significantly overclocked.

Well there you go. If a Pi 1 can do it, for sure a Pi 3 can...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eightysixed posted:

Uh yeah dude, that's because the Pi has a hardware decode unit for most common forms of audio and video codecs bolted on. Which can't be used, say, for CAD modeling or a 3D video game.

Playing back something that's already been created is a whole different thing from being able to do things real time.

feedmegin posted:

I'm not saying they are relying on it. I'm saying it would be good for us, the consumer. I would assume the reason they're doing it is maximum backwards compatibility.

If we're going to go with "it's good for consumers" then we're right back to why they should finally move on from things that were picked to target a certain price point 4 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Whoever would try any type of CAD on a Pi, currently, is a larger idiot than all of us.