Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

Build stars whom don't throw tantrums

:getin:

there should be an addition to the excursion system where you could send a guy (say, a young okada) to an absolutely atrocious company (say, TNA) and when they return if you give them a push they'll be loyal to you for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So how do you do excursions anyway? Is it just a random event?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I started to think that maybe the 91 mod was too easy (insert Ric Flair, extract 90+ segment).
So I started a May 96 game as WWF.
One card in, I feel Vince's pain.

Getting destroyed in the National battle by 500 points (4150-3650)
My 4 Top Main Eventers are all faces. (Bret Hart starts the mod out for 3 months). One of them is the Ultimate Warrior, whom I was more than happy to jettison in previous games.
My product demands two storylines of 77 or higher. This ranges from difficult/impossible.
USA demands a 71 or higher show rating. My lack of hot storylines penalizes me to the point where this is pretty difficult. My first show with a 20 minute Shawn/Owen main event was good for a whopping 68.
The game world has only two workers with an entertainment score of 90+. One of them is retired. The other is Ric Flair.

I am going to drop to cult like a Rock. I know I can probably stabilize from there, but holy poo poo I just figured out how to weather the storm in '13. Then '16 went and made it way harder.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 14, 2016

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
So are all the extra new features in TEW16 MORE difficult this time around rather than easier?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Perfect show theory seems way less difficult to work with.
Being somewhat more forthcoming with certain mechanics (like giving you a rating for individual workers in a match) makes figuring out what's working and what isn't much easier.
Product definition will outright tell you that certain in-ring skills are devalued. Which means you don't have to waste resources on wrestlers who excel in those stats.
The ability to send workers to rehab is useful. Additionally if a worker is really in a position to need it your road agents won't mince words. Of course when that happens everybody else in the match gets bent out of shape.
Occasionally a worker about to complain about the booking of a match will shut up and go along without complaint if their opponent has sufficient (I believe) menace.

So it's not all bad.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 14, 2016

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
Thanks, is this one an overall improvement in streamlined fun as previous version? Now asking that folks have played a good bit and considering picking it up.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

'16 is harder in ways that are cool, like battles being an actual consistent fight instead of 'who has one good show this month and other than that everything else is completely irrelevant', and easier in ways that are also cool (like the second most important match on the show not necessarily being the semi-main).

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
First real world mod of any note has been released for TEW 2016 in ongoing beta form:
http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533463

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

rovert posted:

First real world mod of any note has been released for TEW 2016 in ongoing beta form:
http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533463

Nice, time to build my indy around Cheeseburger and the Young Bucks #notdelirious

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I have a potential megastar on my hands in my TEW2016 game; every match that she wins she gets a message that says "Electric Dreamer's young fanbase were overjoyed to see her win" and I've decided to just go with the flow. The funny thing is that she's not a great worker (a decent luchadora but no real psychology), not very good on the mic and her star quality is only a bit above average (C+) but she has a ton of charisma and her sex appeal is real good. I'm just gonna back her until either she becomes a megastar or I can't get anything more out of her.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I tried to make HHH and Goldberg like each other, but it backfired and now they hate each other even more :smith:

The backstage stuff in this game rules haha.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

triplexpac posted:

I tried to make HHH and Goldberg like each other, but it backfired and now they hate each other even more :smith:

The backstage stuff in this game rules haha.

Yeah, this one rear end in a top hat turned nearly my entire locker room against my secondary champion and I was having a hell of a time trying to force him to make friends.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Got the absolutely greatest destiny roll in my new game with a created small promotion

yes...yessss

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Got the absolutely greatest destiny roll in my new game with a created small promotion

yes...yessss

You know what needs to be done

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Wyatt Family are apparently alluded to in the new Fallout 4 DLC

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Marquis de Pyro posted:

yes...yessss

What's his hot prospect report say?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

Wyatt Family are apparently alluded to in the new Fallout 4 DLC

Yep. There's a camp leader called Bray Husky, and the three campers he talks to are named Luke, Rowan, and Braun

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

yes...yessss

Cheeseburger is Paradise!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

All these years we've been joking about the Wyatts being pretty much a group of Point Lookout swamp cultists and then this happens. Funny stuff.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

ChrisBTY posted:

What's his hot prospect report say?

he is joined on this list by the illustrious company of Colby Corino and Cody Hall. The future elite of professional wrestling

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Nice. I have 3 guys with that exact report on my 1996 game.
Eddy, RVD and....

King Mabel!?! :shrug:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

ChrisBTY posted:

Nice. I have 3 guys with that exact report on my 1996 game.
Eddy, RVD and....

King Mabel!?! :shrug:

Wrestling legend Mabel would be a reality worth living in

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Unfortunately I think the game only checks the performance skills (Basics, Psychology, Safety and Consistency) when making the scouting report. His in-ring skills are still bad (his brawling and hardcore might become passable though) and more importantly his stamina is garbage. If he can't go 20 without getting visibly fatigued his upside is very limited. His ceiling is probably Upper Midcard gatekeeper.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

ChrisBTY posted:

Unfortunately I think the game only checks the performance skills (Basics, Psychology, Safety and Consistency) when making the scouting report. His in-ring skills are still bad (his brawling and hardcore might become passable though) and more importantly his stamina is garbage. If he can't go 20 without getting visibly fatigued his upside is very limited. His ceiling is probably Upper Midcard gatekeeper.

I suspect Cheeseburger is in a similar situation, however that won't stop the tag team of Big Daddy Yum Burgers from going all the way to the top

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

There's a real world mod for TEW 16 now:

http://greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533463&highlight=title

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Noticed that the PS4 WWE 2K16 Season Pass is on sale for $9.99 for PSPlus members

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/wwe-2k16-season-pass/cid=UP1001-CUSA02671_00-WWE2K16SEPASS001

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I bet that mod will be really fun with Sandow, Ryback, Cody, Zeb, Torito and FUTURE TNA CHAMPION ALEX RILEY all on the free agent market.

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world
Everyone's a free agent except for Ryback. He starts with terrible morale and usually gives his notice after the first week of tapings.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Oh gently caress me, I just lost my big marquee signing for 11 months due to a torn rotator cuff that he suffered in a random squash match.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Testekill posted:

Oh gently caress me, I just lost my big marquee signing for 11 months due to a torn rotator cuff that he suffered in a random squash match.

repackage the jobber and give him a push!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sell "I BROKE SUPERSTAR'S ROTATOR CUFF" shirts

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Rename him 'Dr. James Andrews' and give him a devastating rotator cuff/ucl/elbow destroying armbar gimmick

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any 'easy mode' options for TEW if I want to gently caress around with a specific gimmick setup, or is it always the case that things will crash and burn if you're not actively being a good businessperson and reacting prudently to bouts of bad luck?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Jenny Angel posted:

Are there any 'easy mode' options for TEW if I want to gently caress around with a specific gimmick setup, or is it always the case that things will crash and burn if you're not actively being a good businessperson and reacting prudently to bouts of bad luck?

In 2016 you can turn off nearly every 'random' or 'punishes you for doing whatever you want' options

and you can also use the editor in game to give yourself infinite money if things still go wrong. It's a pretty fun game to just screw around in

I'm intrigued to see how this year's seemingly being a little more competitive/difficult goes. My local company is not shockingly losing money out the rear end having people like the Young Bucks and Chris Hero make appearances, but in the past I've always grown fast enough to stabilize, this time it seems like I might actually have to rely on Cheeseburger as a top star....

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How is WWE 2K16? I haven't played a new one since 2K13 but I wanted to get a new game for me and my roommate to play that isn't Terraria. It looks like it got pretty good reviews and the roster looks pretty stacked

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Roster's good. Gameplay is decent, but a far cry from the arcade pacing of classic wrestling games.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Marquis de Pyro posted:

In 2016 you can turn off nearly every 'random' or 'punishes you for doing whatever you want' options

and you can also use the editor in game to give yourself infinite money if things still go wrong. It's a pretty fun game to just screw around in

I'm intrigued to see how this year's seemingly being a little more competitive/difficult goes. My local company is not shockingly losing money out the rear end having people like the Young Bucks and Chris Hero make appearances, but in the past I've always grown fast enough to stabilize, this time it seems like I might actually have to rely on Cheeseburger as a top star....

The backstage stuff is a goddamn nightmare.
In the course of one month, Shawn Micheals turned THIRTY TWO PEOPLE against Bret Hart in my locker room. (A little of that is HHH, who is actually listed as a generally positive influence, but he's part of the clique, so...)
22 simmering tension. 10 strong dislike.
My backstage is hosed. And you simply do not have the tools to deal with that level of bullshit.
The only thing I can do is keep Shawn out of the locker room (he's in rehab at the moment. Unfortunately I simply can't keep him at this point. That level of fuckery is simply untenable), give Bret some more time off and hope some of the simmering tension goes away (it probably won't), and don't renew HHH's contract when it comes up in 3 months.

So now I'm trying to lead WWF back to national with...
Shawn gone (82-84 US pop)
Bret out for another stretch (83-85 pop)
HHH gone (59-60 pop)
Warrior gone due to contract expiration and the locker room is already too toxic to deal with him as well (72-74 pop)
Piper gone due to losing a bidding war with WCW (78-80 Pop)

I'm going to have to accept that for a couple of months I'll only have one top face (Undertaker) and 3 top heels (Vader, Owen, Bulldog). Nobody else is above 70. (Mankind is right around 70).
I'm going to have to hope that I can overachieve on some shows so I can create a net positive of popularity or poo poo is gonna be rough for awhile.
The good news is that it's easier to do that in '16 than it was in '13 due partially to Perfect Show Theory being broken in the player's favor this time (I basically never have a crowd cool down/get burned out on me. And when I do, getting them back is easy).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

How is WWE 2K16? I haven't played a new one since 2K13 but I wanted to get a new game for me and my roommate to play that isn't Terraria. It looks like it got pretty good reviews and the roster looks pretty stacked

Roster's great, and there's probably a decent CAW to download of any real guy that came in after the cutoff or is with another promotion. Gameplay is also pretty good, but is specifically designed to produce a Wrestlemania main event style match and leans more towards a sports sim style than elbow drops from helicopters.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ChrisBTY posted:

The backstage stuff is a goddamn nightmare.
In the course of one month, Shawn Micheals turned THIRTY TWO PEOPLE against Bret Hart in my locker room.

:perfect::vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I've been pretty lucky with backstage stuff so far, Joey Ryan showed up wasted on painkillers but I'm just using him as a jobber so it didn't upset too many people. No other problems have developed as of yet.

I'm actually kind of rooting for it since I do need to trim the roster down for financial reasons and having a reason to brutally fire someone would be kind of fun