Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

lol!

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i'm the two clocks on the android screen on the left

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ios is ugly as gently caress jesus

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uninterrupted posted:

right? like these pussies who take insulin all their lives instead of having their pancreas man up and start making that poo poo.

Nobody cares about your sad brains.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ZDR please fix this random doubleposting that happens.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Blue Train posted:

ios is ugly as gently caress jesus

post your preferred anime background

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Stymie posted:

Back in my day, we had felt tables in our game centre and we drove off the bridge over i-280 and we liked it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
game center and photos are inarguably worse, what the gently caress do either of those represent that's relative to the app function?

and somehow camera actually became more skumorphic

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

infernal machines posted:

game center and photos are inarguably worse, what the gently caress do either of those represent that's relative to the app function?

i mean photos is pretty accurate, as i mostly take pictures of color swatches

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol i never noticed that the clock icon worked as a real clock. what a loving waste of cpu cycles. why not just make the compass icon functional too while you're at it

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The clock icon is a skuemorphic mess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the only use of the app is a timer or alarm, neither of which is represented by the icon

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its also a world clock

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

both look nice but i get a "fresher" feeling from the one on the left. it just seems sleeker, more modern. those are two top class interfaces though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

clown class maybe

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Maximum Leader posted:

both look nice but i get a "fresher" feeling from the one on the left. it just seems sleeker, more modern. those are two top class interfaces though.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

sad!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

maniacdevnull posted:

if youre going to use that word at least spell it right

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

skew my field

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
look at this skeuomorphic trash bullshit - a picture of a blank sheet for a blank document, a picture of someone opening a file to open a file, a picture of a floppy disk to save to a floppy disk !!! ah! it's too much metaphors!

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
what does the download icon do

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ffs why not have a scroll, quill, and a cassette tape in there too?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Stymie posted:

sam- wait what?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what is the current best iconic representation of a save-to-disk command? And how would you differentiate it from a download icon?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sagebrush posted:

what is the current best iconic representation of a save-to-disk command? And how would you differentiate it from a download icon?

isnt the joke that young millennials now refer to a floppy disk as "did you find this physical save icon on etsy?" kinda thing?

so, wouldn't that mean that it's the best understood symbol for saving to both the people who actually used disks as well as completely known by those who havent for the function of "save" ?

soooooo nothing would currently better?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
my point is that a certain level of skeuomorphism has always existed and it's always been a UI/UX design goal to make interfaces relatable to similar things in real life?

granted, poo poo like the podcast player or calendar app with the fake leather pad is just way, way beyond the line, but in general the concept isnt abhorrent as some make it sound when using it as a neg on apple

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

why would you need to differentiate it? what's the meaningful difference between those two actions for the average user?

for that matter what the gently caress is a disk and why are you saving to it? this is a thing i will need to access again in some fashion, pin it, bookmark it, save it, it's a meaningless differentiation

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sniep posted:

isnt the joke that young millennials now refer to a floppy disk as "did you find this physical save icon on etsy?" kinda thing?

so, wouldn't that mean that it's the best understood symbol for saving to both the people who actually used disks as well as completely known by those who havent for the function of "save" ?

soooooo nothing would currently better?

yeah and then a bunch of tech companies decided that this meant they HAD to change the save icon so now we have a jumbled mess where everyone has their own unique snowflake take and it's real annoying

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

maniacdevnull posted:

lol oh gently caress off, a clock app icon looking like a clock is an incredibly obvious and normal thing

the old official podcast app with the reel to reel poo poo, now THAT was a mess

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the podcasts app was the canary in the coal mine

skeumorphic issues aside, it's a broken mess and steve would have personally coachwhipped the devs who tried to push it out live

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Remember how bad the old youtube icon was

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Linguica posted:

the old official podcast app with the reel to reel poo poo, now THAT was a mess
the voice memos app with the giant old-timey analog mic was some bullshit too

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

material design is absurdly better than ios's design

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why would you need to differentiate it? what's the meaningful difference between those two actions for the average user?

for that matter what the gently caress is a disk and why are you saving to it? this is a thing i will need to access again in some fashion, pin it, bookmark it, save it, it's a meaningless differentiation

understanding the difference between a local copy of a file and a reference to a remote version of a file is like basic computer literacy dude

and the assumption that cloud storage and local storage are always seamless and interchangeable is peculiarly first-world techno-elitist

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

triple sulk posted:

material design is absurdly better than ios's design

yeah man love floating neon plus sign orbs and harsh shadows

i love googles share icon. it's total nonsense

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

google's share icon is exactly what a google engineer would think hyu-mons associate with sharing: a graph network

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

understanding the difference between a local copy of a file and a reference to a remote version of a file is like basic computer literacy dude

and the assumption that cloud storage and local storage are always seamless and interchangeable is peculiarly first-world techno-elitist

well that's the direction everyone is going, so idk, shake your cane at apple, microsoft, and google, old man

the user doesn't need to know where a file "is", they just need to access it in whatever context is convenient at the time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"dirt farming 3rd worlders may have trouble accessing this critical data from their always on hybrid cloud computing terminal" said no one, ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well that's the direction everyone is going, so idk, shake your cane at apple, microsoft, and google, old man

the user doesn't need to know where a file "is", they just need to access it in whatever context is convenient at the time.

I've lost track of the number of times I've had to explain to my students things like "you can't open that zipped file directly in solidworks, you have to extract it first and open the contents"

or "you uploaded the ._filename.stl invisible empty file, not the actual data, so we can't print this"

I don't have high hopes for their handling of cloud vs local data

• Locked thread