Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

EwokEntourage posted:

But where do Druids and shamans fit in

Sadly in our modern era Druids have been reduced to mostly national park work, or as hired entertainment at furry conventions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
If ya'll want a quick laugh at my trainwreck family, I posted some documents the cousin filed with the identifying information blotted out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659&pagenumber=562#lastpost

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Garland 'wrote a kind of sad update in this periodical I sometimes read called The Onion.
http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/quick-question-what-am-i-supposed-be-doing-right-n-52938

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
No sitting on Wittman v. Personhuballah, U.S. Supreme Court, No. 14-1504. Ruling that district lines were drawn improperly stands.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Court ruled, 7-1, that striking each and every black juror with a mountain of evidence you did it because they were black, is unconstitutional: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-8349_6k47.pdf

Clarence Thomas dissented :staredog:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Warcabbit posted:

No sitting on Wittman v. Personhuballah, U.S. Supreme Court, No. 14-1504. Ruling that district lines were drawn improperly stands.

Uh...

Case got punted because none of the parties could prove injury.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Warcabbit posted:

I think you mean no standing.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
The Court is not sitting on the case, it got punted. Either way.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Warcabbit posted:

The Court is not sitting on the case, it got punted. Either way.

Bit of there's no sitting it has standing, which there clearly was not :colbert:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

exploding mummy posted:

Bit of there's no sitting it has standing, which there clearly was not :colbert:

It's not sitting or standing, it's freely falling under the influence of gravity back down to the lower courts?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

Tldr, although it's only one page: "We might not have jurisdiction and if we did we shouldn't be basing our decision on new evidence from after the dude's conviction."

:allears:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Tldr, although it's only one page: "We might not have jurisdiction and if we did we shouldn't be basing our decision on new evidence from after the dude's conviction."

:allears:

The one page is just the summary, it's much longer than one page.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm haven't followed the case, but Thomas's dissent doesn't appear particularly interesting- it's rather kitchen sink-y, with argument in the alternative throughout.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
My favorite chunk of it was his "first argument". That "the Georgia court had already ruled against them, and why should we question that?" What the gently caress kind of argument is that?

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 23, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Schizotek posted:

My favorite chunk of it was his "first argument". That "the Georgia court had already ruled against them, and why should we question that?" What the gently caress kind of argument is that?

It's more complicated than that- higher courts can't just pick and choose cases to hear, there's a fairly complicated set of issues involving whether or not a case can come before the Supreme Court.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Schizotek posted:

"Why supreme court exist?" - a supreme court justice

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

The one page is just the summary, it's much longer than one page.

:negative:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

alnilam posted:

"Why supreme court exist?" - a supreme court justice

What is the 11th amendment

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

There is a reason court watchers consider Thomas to often be living on his own little island of strange jurisprudence completely independent from the other justices.

What makes it really strange is he often pens decisions which are well within accepted legal thought which the other justices join, then he follows it up with a seriously :psyduck: opinion in the next case.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

There is a reason court watchers consider Thomas to often be living on his own little island of strange jurisprudence completely independent from the other justices.

What makes it really strange is he often pens decisions which are well within accepted legal thought which the other justices join, then he follows it up with a seriously :psyduck: opinion in the next case.

I think he tends to only get the opinions with black-letter law everyone agrees on (including him) because if you give him an opinion where there's any real dispute giving the majority opinion to Thomas is a good way to no longer have a majority.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/05/judge-in-immigration-case-issues-sweeping-new-order/

Can anyone explain this to me? It seems a little crazy, but I'm probably not understanding it. Why did he originally think it would be kicked back to him?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"Why are you making me do work, I'm on vacation!" - Thomas

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hackan Slash posted:

http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/05/judge-in-immigration-case-issues-sweeping-new-order/

Can anyone explain this to me? It seems a little crazy, but I'm probably not understanding it. Why did he originally think it would be kicked back to him?

What was appealed was his preliminary injunction. He never ruled on the merits and so regardless of the higher court decision on his preliminary injunction, you would expect it to be remanded for a trial on the merits. However, if the Supreme Court just resolves the merits as well, it won't ever come back to him except to enter a judgment for [winning side].

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Is this sort of wide-teaching order normal or appropriate? As a layperson, this sort of thing feels really weird jurisdictionally --- how often do states ending up suing outside their circuit happen? Why would this sort of thing end up in some particular Texas district anyway?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

OddObserver posted:

Is this sort of wide-teaching order normal or appropriate? As a layperson, this sort of thing feels really weird jurisdictionally --- how often do states ending up suing outside their circuit happen? Why would this sort of thing end up in some particular Texas district anyway?

The State of Texas is the named plaintiff, and the case has to be filed somewhere, no?

...to tease that out a little more, if the States of Texas, Georgia, Utah, and Maine are going to be jointly suing the federal government, 3 of them are going to be outside their state and circuit.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

OddObserver posted:

It's pretty bug-poo poo crazy.

quote:

Ethics scholar Kathleen Clark of Washington University in St. Louis School of Law said she was “astounded” by the sanctions Hanen imposed.

“There are two—ethics training and the list—and neither one is narrowly tailored to address the specific allegation of misconduct and he really doesn’t explain the alleged misconduct,” Clark said.

Clark recalled several instances where a district judge became so upset with lawyers in a preliminary matter that the judge was removed. Judge H. Lee Sarokin was pulled off a case in 1992 after he called the tobacco industry “king of concealment and disinformation” upon examining documents in camera that tobacco companies sought to keep privileged, she said.

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/s...r#ixzz49WjW6kGs

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

evilweasel posted:

The Court ruled, 7-1, that striking each and every black juror with a mountain of evidence you did it because they were black, is unconstitutional: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-8349_6k47.pdf

When I saw it was 7-1 I knew he was the dissenter. He's the judicial version of Uncle Ruckus from The Boondocks.

Hackan Slash posted:

It's insane and part of me wonders if he sees any of the irony involved in him making a bunch of sweeping declarations in response to what he saw as the Obama administration making a bunch of sweeping declarations. Judge needs to be removed from the case because he's lost his goddamn mind.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's insane and part of me wonders if he sees any of the irony involved in him making a bunch of sweeping declarations in response to what he saw as the Obama administration making a bunch of sweeping declarations. Judge needs to be removed from the case because he's lost his goddamn mind.

Why do you think that a group of 26 states that could have filed the case nearly anywhere picked his court? It wasn't a coincidence.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Someone put Fox News on at the gym last night and I caught Megyn Kelly and Andrew Napolitano apparently taking it seriously. I think I pulled a muscle rolling my eyes.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

He's the judicial version of Uncle Ruckus from The Boondocks.

Man, shut the gently caress up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I am not a book posted:

Man, shut the gently caress up.

He's not wrong.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Uncle Ruckus is a fairly apt comparison, though obviously it can be taken too far. I doubt Thomas believes in White Heaven, though he probably believes in a highly idiosyncratic heaven that happens to be populated almost exclusively by whites.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah, bring it on out. He's just an Uncle Tom, huh. His name is even Tom.

Keep going.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sometimes I wonder if Thomas is just being contrarian just because he can. Perhaps its what happens when you go full Toblerone Triangular but don't stop soon enough.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
While this isn't strictly SCOTUS related, I have a semi-legal question - what's the deal with "unindicted co-conspirators"? From a cursory glance, it seems like a tool prosecutors can use to quasi-legally smear people they don't like that they have a mere hunch is involved in something? It doesn't seem to require any proof, and while it has no real legal meaning, the fact that it's coming from a prosecutory authority seems to lend it more credence than if it was just Glenn Beck ranting about stuff.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Goatman Sacks posted:

While this isn't strictly SCOTUS related, I have a semi-legal question - what's the deal with "unindicted co-conspirators"? From a cursory glance, it seems like a tool prosecutors can use to quasi-legally smear people they don't like that they have a mere hunch is involved in something? It doesn't seem to require any proof, and while it has no real legal meaning, the fact that it's coming from a prosecutory authority seems to lend it more credence than if it was just Glenn Beck ranting about stuff.

I've always assumed it meant someone known to have been involved, but not enough evidence could be gathered to bring charges against them. It is sort of a smear and a violation of "innocent until proven guilty," IMO.

I guess the point is to make a note that an indictment could be forthcoming in the future if more evidence appears.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I always thought it was OK to say in the general (this person had unindicted co-conspirators) but not the specific (this person is an unindicted co-conspirator).

The first is just 'we're entirely sure there are more people involved, but they haven't been indicted yet' - even if putting it that way lets people make a pretty good guess as to who it might be, it wasn't actually claimed at any point. The second is, as you say, kind of a smear.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Try the legal questions thread.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's pretty cool that a bunch of slimy government lawyers are having to face actual consequences for their actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

-Troika- posted:

I think it's pretty cool that a bunch of slimy government lawyers are having to face actual consequences for their actions.

What are you talking about?