Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I haven't been super into j-pop before, but I'm really digging the music in this show. Maybe I should listen to more j-pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I haven't been super into j-pop before, but I'm really digging the music in this show. Maybe I should listen to more j-pop.

That's how it starts. Trust me.

Then you hear a super catchy kpop song and the next thing you know you're mixing both into playlists right beside Bauhaus or The National or something.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
Has this been posted here? Because I can't unhear it now

https://vine.co/v/ixQieZDEOtx

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Finally got to watch this ep. It's still good!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

a kitten posted:

That's how it starts. Trust me.

Then you hear a super catchy kpop song and the next thing you know you're mixing both into playlists right beside Bauhaus or The National or something.

can confirm

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MJP posted:

I was already kinda :/ about the obvious "let's appeal to lonely otaku who are into catgirls" part and I know this is spergy as gently caress, but hacking scenes piss me off and moe moe idol love love hackers REALLY just made me give up on the first half of the episode.

Wait until ReiRei performs a triple bypass surgery using a song-powered scalpel.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

So as somebody who has only watched Macross Plus, this looks like a major tonal whiplash from that show. i can sorta see similarities, but I'm having trouble reconciling the two as being part of the same franchise. Is Macross Plus more its own thing than the rest of the franchise, or are all the shows markedly different? Because I ain't a fan of J-Pop, while I thought Yoko Kanno's soundtrack for Plus was excellent because it was so diverse.

I think that Plus and Zero were more of the major tonal whiplashes from the rest of Macross. Original Macross is huge on the pop star thing, which IMO is presented far more subtly in Plus and, to a far FAR more subtle presentation, Zero.

ChumpsForChange posted:

Has this been posted here? Because I can't unhear it now

https://vine.co/v/ixQieZDEOtx

I kinda thought that but I'm glad someone went and Vine'd it.

trucutru posted:

Wait until ReiRei performs a triple bypass surgery using a song-powered scalpel.

I'm holding out for song-powered Cryptowall removal from Mikumo while she's in production a concert

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Note that (admittedly as a relative newcomer to Macross) I've heard that all the shows are actually in-series TV shows about events that happened. So while the overall events actually happened, some details can basically be regarded as simply heavily stylized (like hacking computers via the power of song - maybe the actual person was really just a good hacker along with being an idol?).

You know, sort of like the Battletech cartoon, though with much higher production values. ;)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Macross probably has the best approach to continuity I've come across.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's actually the official word on what's going on with Gundam too, not that anyone actually listens since it's tucked away inside a japanese toy manual.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

tsob posted:

Macross probably has the best approach to continuity I've come across.

Ah, the policy of "Whatever, man. It's all good."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Official Walküre power levels: Mikumo > ReiRei > Maki > Freyja > Mirage's mercat > Kaname "big boring sister" Buccaneer

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Wait, wait, wait...

Mikumo's singing voice is 15??? Are you making GBS threads me???

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

Wait, wait, wait...

Mikumo's singing voice is 15??? Are you making GBS threads me???

I know right?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
What?
Holy crap.

She's amazing.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
If you need help sleeping until the next episode I suggest listen to this at bed time https://play.google.com/music/m/Bar3x3epeio3wbntmwd7icoazhu?t=Deep_Sleep_Music_-_The_Best_of_Macross_Relaxing_Music_Box_Covers_-_Relax__Wave

if waiting for Haruhi season 3 is too much, coma yourself with https://play.google.com/music/m/Bdh...overs_-_Relax__

:chillpill:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
So, Facebook just suggested I watch a video of "Macross Southern Cross".

Instead of watching it, I looked at the comments. Oh my. Talk about aids.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Is there a full version of Bokura no Senjou out yet? I need it. :f5:

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
If you could condense Macross into 1 episode, this would be pretty close to being it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a really good episode of a really good show

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Watch Heinz come in and sweep Freyja off her feet.

Mecha talk edit: I only just realized the Siegfried's autocannons actually flip out when the hands extend. Also that shot with Freyja singing to the NUNS guy makes it look like it shoots 120mm shells, bloody huge bore.

RangerKarl fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 23, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This show owns so much. When Walkure jumped in to sing at the Aerial Knights, it was bizarrely surreal.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 23, 2016

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Hayate with that sick-rear end driveby

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Macross Delta drinking game: Take a shot every time someone says "wind".

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

You'd be dead by the end of an episode.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's probably illegal to ride the wind while drunk anyways.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This episode was really great. I started off relaxed on the couch, and found myself slowly inching forward. By the end, I was at the very edge leaning way forward, and a big grin was on my face the whole while. It's been a while since I enjoyed a show this much. It's just so much fun!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You know they were in big trouble 'cuz Mikumo had to use giri-giri-level power to save those fools.

Kanos posted:

I came here to post this.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This episode was really great. I started off relaxed on the couch, and found myself slowly inching forward. By the end, I was at the very edge leaning way forward, and a big grin was on my face the whole while. It's been a while since I enjoyed a show this much. It's just so much fun!

same

This has a finger on pretty much every one of my buttons and is pushing them all really hard.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Man. I cannot put into words how much I like this anime.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Hayate with that sick-rear end driveby

"Dakka dakka muthafucka" is what I actually said when that happened.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh poo poo, they made Mikumo mad. Don't they know you should never make her mad unless you want a rousing performance of ikenai borderline?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Also I guess Freyja is a wind singer, to the surprise of absolutely no one.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Serious Frolicking posted:

Oh poo poo, they made Mikumo mad. Don't they know you should never make her mad unless you want a rousing performance of ikenai borderline?
ADTRW > Macross Delta: Crossing the Ikenai BORDERLINE

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3nfweteZck

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This is really bad and boring and Frontier was better. Both of the leads manage to be annoying and uninteresting, which is pretty impressive for a high budget show.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

-Troika- posted:

This is really bad and boring and Frontier was better. Both of the leads manage to be annoying and uninteresting, which is pretty impressive for a high budget show.

I hope you mean Immelman and the boring-rear end by the books pilot default love interest that I can't remember the name of because Freyja is great

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

I hope you mean Immelman and the boring-rear end by the books pilot default love interest that I can't remember the name of because Freyja is great

Man even Hayate isn't as bad as he was earlier. I guess spending half an episode with boots in your face will do that to a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
And Mirage is probably going to be another Misa where she'll get much better once an episode or two focuses on her.

• Locked thread