Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Again, don't blame the tool, blame the tool user; why was this mage experimenting in a way that put others at risk? Why were they allowed to experiment in this fashion? There's many reasons why the Empire so heavily regulates mages, and public safety must be one of the more public ones.

EDIT: another Anama question on the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

berryjon posted:

Something happened, and an Anama Priest vanished on me. Maybe. Until then, here's the next point of 'contention'.

:engleft: Yes
Bad events are bad events. It's alright to say yes and be completely honest here.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Yes, just like it'd be terrible if she died because of a horse kicking her or a drunk guy or a fire. Doesn't mean we should get rid of horses, alcohol, and fire.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

A shameful typo in the game.

Anyway, in response to the question, yes, that's terrible. Unfortunately, stupidity and gross incompetence are not things that can be cured or banned, no matter how hard you try. No, not even with exile.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yes it is. While we're at it we should ban fire. That kills tons of people.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Montegoraon posted:

A shameful typo in the game.

You have no idea how many of them I catch in processing. One that jumped out at me from the next update was the word 'Diving' being used in place of 'Divine' - in a section that had both words in it.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
While the answer is yes, the problem is the implications of the question and what it leaves out. Of course it's a terrible thing to happen, but magic is far from the only thing that can cause such a tragedy. Others have already said why. But furthermore, the question leaves out context - WHAT kind of spell was this mage trying to create? What sort of experience did he have? Why were there 6 other people in the house at the same time, especially if what the mage was doing was considered dangerous? These are all questions that would shed light on the situation.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Yes it's a bad thing. Other points have been raised which already addressed this bit of leading stupidity. Same thing can be said of Priests as well. You healed a murderer who went on to kill a lot of people. So we should stop healing people to prevent people from dying in the future. Of course.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Yes, it's terrible. However, similar to the other questions thus far, this doesn't prove the Anama's case.

Let's agree this result was terrible. This does not, however, in any way imply that all magic should be banned.
1.) The Mage was criminally negligent in performing experiments in an occupied house. This is why Mages are supposed to have laboratories or isolated towers. Involuntary manslaughter did not always have a formal legal name, but it's been a crime basically forever.
2.) Both the Empire and Exile put heavy restrictions on magic, because they know that this exact sort of thing can happen. The Empire's rules, in fact, are sufficiently draconian that the Mage was almost certainly performing illegal research.

So the Mage was a criminal in at least two separate ways. The answer to that is to punish the criminal, not to scapegoat magic. Do not blame the arrow, blame the man holding the bow.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 21, 2016

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I mean how us this different from an idiot chemist blowing himself and anyone in the area up making FOOF or something?

Such a dumb argument

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
If your cousin had been a wizard too this would never have happened.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Something weird that doesn't look like a typo:

berryjon posted:

"I make these potions using only natural ingredients and alchemical processes, without the use of single magical spell. You may purchase them if you wish." He suddenly starts to cough Beverly. When he straightens up, he says "Excuse me, I think I'm starting to become a touch ill. As I was about to say, you may purchase potions from me if you wish."

Beverly? I suppose that should be "heavily", but how did that happen? Autocorrect?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Tax Refund posted:

Something weird that doesn't look like a typo:

Beverly? I suppose that should be "heavily", but how did that happen? Autocorrect?

Also could be "Severely", and presumably autocorrect is to blame, yes.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

It's been fixed to 'severely', thanks!

I've seen it estimated that there are 3.5 million words of text in this game, so errors on my part and Vogel's are bound to happen.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
That is terrible indeed.
I lost a cousin to a blacksmith: he was experimenting with a new fuel for the forge, and the resulting accident killed her, and twelve others in the houses she was in.
She was 15, and died because of one lone, careless blacksmith. Is it not a horrible thing? :rolleyes:

I mean, the answer to the question is "yes", but again I can't help but be critical of the reasoning behind the question.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
One of the advantages we have as PCs is that our magic has known, predictable effects. But can't magic just do anything? So you can be experimenting under controlled conditions but then your spell sets fire to the nearest green roof because unbeknownst to you that's what you made it do.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
well, you could just as easily have a miner or a smith or something working with this interesting silvery metal he found in the mines one day and then oops the smoke from his chimney poisoned half the valley because it was uranium (which is a thing that is known to exist in the world of Exile)

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Well, fortunately uranium doesn't occur naturally in a form that will disperse easily, so accidentally poisoning a large area with it is not likely to happen. Unless you were talking about irradiation, which is very unlikely, since uranium isn't actually all that radioactive in the first place.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost

President Ark posted:

well, you could just as easily have a miner or a smith or something working with this interesting silvery metal he found in the mines one day and then oops the smoke from his chimney poisoned half the valley because it was uranium (which is a thing that is known to exist in the world of Exile)

I think it's fair to say that the way magic is portrayed in the series, accidentally killing a whole bunch of people with magic is a lot easier than accidentally killing a whole bunch of people through other means.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Whybird posted:

I think it's fair to say that the way magic is portrayed in the series, accidentally killing a whole bunch of people with magic is a lot easier than accidentally killing a whole bunch of people through other means.

Yeah, one of my complaints with the Anama is not so much that they don't have a point, but that they argue their point insultingly fallaciously, to the extent that I'm inclined to disagree with them just on account of disliking their manipulations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost

Vil posted:

Yeah, one of my complaints with the Anama is not so much that they don't have a point, but that they argue their point insultingly fallaciously, to the extent that I'm inclined to disagree with them just on account of disliking their manipulations.

I honestly think that's not an accident. They're a religious cult trying to hook people in -- they are totally going to be using every tool in their box to do it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think that the problem this dude here is pointing out is more about mages in general apparently have to perform potentially hazardous experiments to come up with their stuff rather than the harm caused by this specific incident that was used to illustrate the point. A single magical accident may cause damage equivalent to a blacksmith or alchemist screwing up, but the amount of mages running experiments is presumably much larger and thus would cause more harm on the whole.

Of course it's a pretty bad argument to use an individual example without presenting the larger context first, but that's the limitation of the medium for you.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
The Mages know drat well even basic magic is dangerous, and prepare accordingly:

So what the hell kind of spell was the mage trying to cast, and why were so many people living in a house being used for magical experiments? Sorry your cousin died while trying to make some magical version of crystal meth, or maybe an IED, but bad poo poo happens when you fail basic safety protocols. Also, be sure to tell your other cousins not to drink Bathtub Gin so they don't all get themselves killed in a similar way.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

thetruegentleman posted:

The Mages know drat well even basic magic is dangerous, and prepare accordingly:

So what the hell kind of spell was the mage trying to cast, and why were so many people living in a house being used for magical experiments? Sorry your cousin died while trying to make some magical version of crystal meth, or maybe an IED, but bad poo poo happens when you fail basic safety protocols. Also, be sure to tell your other cousins not to drink Bathtub Gin so they don't all get themselves killed in a similar way.
The idea is that it's really easy to get into magic and also really easy to screw up. The way the thread is speaking implies that the only magic that gets practiced is by "actual" mages, and that only "dangerous" magic can have consequences. In reality, any magic that hasn't been pegged down perfectly (like your mage spell list) is a recipe for disaster in one form or another.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cheez posted:

The idea is that it's really easy to get into magic and also really easy to screw up. The way the thread is speaking implies that the only magic that gets practiced is by "actual" mages, and that only "dangerous" magic can have consequences. In reality, any magic that hasn't been pegged down perfectly (like your mage spell list) is a recipe for disaster in one form or another.

Of course, this is exactly why magic is firmly controlled in both Ecile and the Empire. Magic that isn't by "actual" mages or that is experimental is highly illegal in the Empire.

Do you blame the knife for cutting your purse? Do you blame the poison for murder? No - you blame the criminal who used the tool illegally.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You're missing the point, because this isn't about blame. It's about the Anama arguing that even with the best safeguards and strictest legal controls this poo poo still finds a way to happen on a significant scale.

Another point would be that those legal controls would very quickly cease to matter when it comes to damage prevention if another tyrant like Hawthorne or Gazahd seized control of the Empire, but the Anama probably wouldn't argue that for very understandable reasons.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

And how would the Anama's nay-saying really help that underlying problem then? It's not going to make people stop practicing magic entirely, it would just drive the magic practitioners underground and make them more likely to cause poo poo because of there being no proper channels for them to practice through any longer, and having to keep it secret from all their devout Anama-following friends and family.

In the context of the game they can simply go somewhere out of Anama territory and avoid the problem. But if the Anama's trying to make a general point with all these blanket generalizations, then their point should still be practical even if the entire power structure of the world suddenly decided to 100% back the Anama point of view. If - when - it's not, they shouldn't be generalizing in the first place.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vil posted:

And how would the Anama's nay-saying really help that underlying problem then? It's not going to make people stop practicing magic entirely, it would just drive the magic practitioners underground and make them more likely to cause poo poo because of there being no proper channels for them to practice through any longer, and having to keep it secret from all their devout Anama-following friends and family.

In the context of the game they can simply go somewhere out of Anama territory and avoid the problem. But if the Anama's trying to make a general point with all these blanket generalizations, then their point should still be practical even if the entire power structure of the world suddenly decided to 100% back the Anama point of view. If - when - it's not, they shouldn't be generalizing in the first place.

As mentioned, the end goal of the Anama is probably to be left alone to do their thing rather than take over the world.

EDIT: And unless they have some kind of hardcore evangelical mandate built into their worldview, they really don't have any ethical obligation to try and change the entire world either.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 24, 2016

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The leader doesn't seem to be a fundamentalist when we spoke to him, but judging from the books attributed to him, there is definitely a significant element in the Anama church that is.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Sorry for the delay in the next part everyone - It was a holiday weekend up here in the Great White North, and today I have an interview. I'll try working on it when I get home, and if all goes well, it will be up tomorrow.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme

Cerebral Bore posted:

As mentioned, the end goal of the Anama is probably to be left alone to do their thing rather than take over the world.

EDIT: And unless they have some kind of hardcore evangelical mandate built into their worldview, they really don't have any ethical obligation to try and change the entire world either.

This the sort of problem that crops up, however - a bit down the line, and someone is taking this philosophy and trying to impose it on the world as a whole. The same sort of thing happens even with theologies that are teaching tolerance. The Anama are preaching intolerance - they are playing with fire. Possibly quickfire.

Hilariously, this is a version of "this is why we train our mages carefully!" argument, except tuned to "this is why we moderate our speech and do not incite hatred."

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kacie posted:

This the sort of problem that crops up, however - a bit down the line, and someone is taking this philosophy and trying to impose it on the world as a whole. The same sort of thing happens even with theologies that are teaching tolerance. The Anama are preaching intolerance - they are playing with fire. Possibly quickfire.

Hilariously, this is a version of "this is why we train our mages carefully!" argument, except tuned to "this is why we moderate our speech and do not incite hatred."

Nah, the Anama are pretty harmless. They dislike mages, sure, but so far there's nothing in their teachings that would promote any kind of retaliation against any individual magic user. Hell, the worst that any mage has had to face is partial social ostracism, which is pretty drat small potatoes compared to how e.g. the Empire has treated dissenters historically.

Besides that they're a dinky-rear end little cult on a dinky-rear end island in the middle of nowhere in a setting ruled with an iron fist by a world-spanning empire. Even if somebody down the line wanted to it's not like they'd be able to do anything against the wider mage population. Hell, it's not like mages are helpless either. Somebody like Garzahd alone would probably be enough to wipe the Anama out all by his lonesome, and when we factor in the political power that mages seem to wield pretty much everywhere the idea of some kind of mage pogrom is clearly absurd.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Anama are really just fantasy-Amish.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

The Anama are really just fantasy-Amish.

Thinking of the Anama in this light somehow makes them a lot more tolerable.

But even in real life, the Amish haven't given up ALL technology, just the public grid and some more recent tech.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 16 – Hectar, Northpoint Lighthouse and Fenris Port

“After reviewing the map that Matthias acquired for us, I have decided that we are going to swing around the north side of the island to look for more information.”

“Mostly to follow the roads, right?”

“Eh, that's a good enough reason for me.”

ARGH! See that NPC at the bottom of the screen? Yeah, I missed her on the first pass through the city, and I saw her just as I was about to leave.

This woman wears the ankh of a healer, but has a strangely cold, businesslike demeanour. "I'm Judith, of the Church of the Divine Lucre."

“Oh! We met one of your compatriots over by Krizsan. In Delan, I think it was?”

“Yes, that would been Kilborn. Such an unfortunate name. Anyway, I am a healer of the Church of the Divine Lucre. I have healing available, for very reasonable rates."

A little redundant, her services, but what else is there to say?

“So, how do you interpret the choices of the Church?”

"What can I say? We believe that the best route to a better life and happier soul is through improvement and the best improvement comes through enlightened self-interest. It is a faith that demands much, but has great rewards."

“Alright, I'll bite. What rewards could there be for a faith that encourages personal avarice?”

"Focus. Strength. Money. No Guilt. You know. What everyone wants." She grins.

“... Have a nice day.”

“You too!”

We're going to need to track down Judith much later as she's important for a piece of endgame gear we can't get yet.

“Going North! This will be awesome!”

“Why do you say that?”

“Never been there!”

:sigh:

“Curiously enough, the mapped roads only go around the edge of the island – there are no internal paths.”

“Well, at least it's a nice day to go for a long walk.”

“I hear Roaches from the North!”

“You just want to go into the mountains.”

“That too!”

“Guard roaches? This is familiar.”

“More stabbing first, then discussions!”

“What? Like this?”

“Pretty much. Curious though, this behaviour is similar to the Slimes on the way to their progenitor.”

“This is quite annoying.”

“Why? That they're not charging us across the open fields?”

“Probably.”

“I just hope we can find it.”

If we had explored more and found the location of the Slime Pit before being told where it was through Jordan's Tower, then we would have had the same problem. The entrance to the dungeon is here, but it won't spawn until we're told about it. But at least we've cleared out the guard roaches on the way first!

“And by process of elimination, that leaves this place as Hectar!”

“Not much of a town.”

“No one wants to talk to me!” :(

:black101:

I'm worried at this point because I could have sworn that I'm well ahead of the time limit before the roaches attack towns openly. But some quick research later indicates that this is normal for this town, and that proper damage won't occur until later.

“What do we have here?”

“Probably nothing then.”

Just a generic boot salesperson.

“Maybe we can finally get some bolts for that crossbow I've been lugging around.”

“Guess not.”

“Ugh.”

“Excellent!”

Uh... crap. Let me recheck my sources here... No, they all say the same thing. That I've still got at least 30 days before irrevocable harm comes to this city. I may be way ahead of the game's internal timeline here.

“More places for people to sleep. Need to beat up more Roaches so people can go home!”

“Friendly.”

“But then again, there are a lot of refugees here.”

“Ah! You look like a man with his wits about him!”

You meet an Empire soldier. His is clearly quite ill - his skin is pale, he coughs often and he has small sores on his cheeks. He looks at you with instant and extreme dislike. He coughs. "I am Captain Sinbar."

“Matthias, Captain. My group and I have been tasked by the Mayor of Shayder to take tactical offensive action against the Roaches. Can you tell me what the situation is like here?”

"I'm leading the troops in this area, taking them on patrols." He looks you over closely. "Where are you from?"

“We came up through Krizsan Province. We removed the Slime Plague there, and are now focusing on Bigail and the cockroaches. About your patrols?”

He coughs again and his lips are now flecked with blood. "Nothing went right since we scoured the forest a month ago."

“What happened in the forest?”

"We killed a bunch of roaches on that trip. Our mage even fried a mother and a whole brood of little ones with a fireball. We must have bagged a hundred of the little buggers." He coughs again, more savagely than before. "On the way back, we all got sick. Half of us are dead now."

“That... that doesn't make sense. How could anyone get sick like that? Did nothing work for healing?”

"Like, overnight. We haven't sent a large force out since." He suddenly gets woozy. "I gotta ... I gotta ... I gotta keep patrolling." He wanders off. You don't give him very long.

He runs to catch up. “Hey! Are you alright?”

He says"Everyone's talking about how there are Exiles up here somehow. We soldiers are awfully interested in this."

“What does Exile have to do with this?”

"Not all of us are as sick as me, and we all lost friends in the war with Exile. We get our hands on one of those worms, and they'll pay, but good. You hear me?"

“I do.”

“At last! Someone who will talk to me!”

You met a priest of the Anama. He looks extremely calm and quiet. He shakes your hand in greeting, and says simply "I am Oriathon."

“It's nice to see someone not afraid of the diseases going around, touching a stranger like that. Even if you are a priest, and it comes with the job.”

He says tersely, "I follow my Anama beliefs. It is a struggle."

“Surely your struggles are not in vain?”

He looks very concerned. "Roaches attack constantly. Disease is everywhere. I lead as best I can."

“Surely your beliefs are a source of comfort to you and your people?”

He says simply "At times I wish magic was allowed. But this is my weakness."

“Sounds to me like you think that magic might be of a help. It would certainly make burning out the plague easier.”

"We will persevere without the dark arts, I am sure of it."

I may have missed something here, as we'll see in a moment.

“Hello?”

You meet a woman with dark skin, long black hair and an infectious grin. She wears an Anama ring and healer's robes. "I am Meena, of the Anama Church. Greetings to you!"

This is the same NPC as in Shayder. And I'm wondering where the real priest went. While writing this update, it seems that it's supposed to be Oriathon above who asks the Anama question for this town, but I didn't trigger it. I'll have to go back and poke at it some more.

“Hey! I remember you! From Shayder! You talked to Ahonar!”

“And I thought you were going to take a break, Meena.”

She shakes her head sadly. “I can't. To many people to heal. Listen, the father is out right now, and you'll need to talk to him to join the church. I'm covering for him, so if you can come back later?”

“I will. But right now, I have a duty to perform. Perhaps the good father will forgive me if I miss answering one question if in doing so I am able to faster resolve this crisis we all face.”

“Perhaps. But that is not my decision to make.”

“Well, perhaps we'll meet soon, under better circumstances?”

“I would like that. Good luck!”

“Just a boring little town with nothing in it. Oh well, they can't all be winners.”

“So, there's another lighthouse up this way? Neat!”

“Probably just as boring as the other one.”

“No! They're amazing! Being able to make lights like that!”

“But before that, there's something of interest over around those marshes.”

“And of course we're checking it out.”

:ssj: “GREMLINS!” :ssj:

Oh you Food-stealing monsters. And your stupid unmappable mazes. Taking you on in the open like this is a bit cathartic. Please note that these guys have 7 AP, which means they can move 6 spaces and attack, or move 2 and attack twice. Thankfully they aren't that dangerous, and any food losses can be replaced by Art.

This sight is so beautiful, it brings a tear to my eye.

“Oooooooooohhhhhhh........”

“This place seems too quiet...”

“Whut.”

“What.”

“Why would there be undead in storage here?”

“We could ask and find out?”

“Good idea.”

“This is not good at all.”

“Do the undead carry disease?”

“I don't think so?”

At first, you think this person is just another skeleton wandering the halls, this one wearing mage's robes. Then you realize it's a human who just happens to be disturbingly pallid and thin. "I am Nekaros," he says in a thin, reedy voice.

“Ni'aurrl. Um, I can't help but notice all the undead shambling around.”

"Yes. I maintain Northpoint Lighthouse," he hisses. “It gives me time to study my other pursuits."

“I take it by your pseudonym that those pursuits would include..?”

"I am immersed in the study of the beauty of death."

:sigh:Death.

He teeth are exposed in a ghastly grin. "I believe that, quite simply, Death Is Just Another Phase Of Life. Thus, creating undead is the most humane thing you can do."

His capitalization. Not mine. I would never do that to you.

“And this justifies the creation of undead?”

"After all, wouldn't you rather have your existence continued in a rather mundane way that have no existence at all? Creating undead gives people more life, and is a beautiful thing! Plus, they're so useful."

Useful?!? Do you know how many times these things have gotten out of control?”

He smiles. "Not only are the dead quiet, patient company, but they're very good at simple household chores."

“Chores. The undead are doing chores?”

"You know, emptying trash, sweeping, that sort of thing. I'm sure that death can be very beautiful. All you need is a good attitude about housework."

“That's it. I'm done. This is too much for me to handle.”

“I also enjoy defying the expectations people have about necromancy.”

“Which is why you're experimenting on an island full of priests who hate mage-craft.”

“An excellent precaution, I assure you. If something catastrophically goes awry, then whom better to resolve the problem?”

“Thank you for your time.”

He coughs. “It's nice to talk to someone without getting into a fight first.”

“Interesting book selection.”

“It's very weird seeing zombies and not bashing them in.”

“Hey! I can see land out the windows!”

“That's probably the mainland.”

On my way to the next town, I encounter my first band of roving random Roaches! Except I didn't bother to make a screencap of it, but did grab the intro blurb to the fight.

It wasn't even a worthwhile fight, I'm so ahead of the power curve for the Roach Quest. Oh well, wait until I get into their dungeons. Then I can have some fun again!

“Are you alright? We saw a band of roaches headed north!”

“No, we're good. Thanks for checking.”

“Right, more easterly direction going.”

“At least you can't get lost following a road.”

“Watch me.”

“...”

“...”

“THIS IS NOT A ROAD!”

“This is!”

“Let's just... go south now.”

After Fenris Port here, we've got... two more towns and three dungeons for this quest. There's another bonus dungeon or two hanging around for later optional stuff, but we'll come back later. The Isle of Bigail is actually quite heavy on the 'town' side of things, and is probably the high point of such in the six provinces. Of course, it doesn't help any that a lot of these towns barely qualify.

“Alright people, the usual.”

“I hope the priest is in this time.”

“Hello!”

An Anama priest stands at the altar. He looks at you skeptically. "Father Galvax." He's clearly not pleased to be talking to you.

“My name is Delilah. Just to be certain, because this happened to me in Hector, but you're the actual priest-priest here, right?”

"I lead the few Anama in this foul place. And I'm supposed to discuss the faith with the likes of you." He frowns. "I could be happier."

“What makes Fenris Port a worse place than the other towns?”

"Fenris Port is a place of sailors, illicit activities, and crime. There are few Anama here, and we're the about the only people who do honest work."

“This is a port town. Of course someone would get it into their head to try something illicit.”

"Well, let's just say that not everything Kurtz buys was obtained legally."

“And the Anama here? Surely they can better?”

"We are people who have rejected magic. I have been instructed to discuss our faith with you, even though everyone knows adventurers are constant magic users. But I follow orders." He looks at you with distaste.

“Wait. Orders?”

"I would rather not say. You have been discussed. Leave it at that."

“Very well then. What is your question?”

:ohdear: “That's horrible! How could anyone do that?”

“Puppy!”

“Ew. Smashing time!”

“Hello.”

A shifty looking man is grinding up leaves you don't recognize. He puts it under the counter as you approach. "Kurtz," he says, sizing you up carefully.

“Bronwyn.”

He wipes some gray powder off his fingers. "Ah. I do alchemy. Safe thing to do on this island."

“So I've heard. Can't help but wonder though, when some member of the Anama decides that mages don't end with words.”

“Reason I live in a port town. Not doing a job?”

“No. I was told the destination, but I want to check the route first.”

“A good precaution.”

“So, how's the alchemy business?”

"I have a pair of recipes for sale, one for a speed potion using Wormgrass and Comfrey root, and the other for a good poison using just wormgrass. You can purchase them if you want. I have other services as well."

“I think I'll pass on those for now. What other services do you provide?”

"Well, you can sell me things. I Identify items. Also, for a mere 100 gold, I'll tell you were you can find fresh ingredients.”

“Let me guess. You would tell me where to find Wormgrass and Comfrey root here on the island?”

“100 gold to find out!”

“...”

“...”

“Good to see you again.”

It has been brought to my attention that Kurtz's rates for identification are the cheapest in the game, at 6 Gold an item. The average price is 10-15 gold.

Found a weapons shop. Figured it would be the typical Iron gear found this close to the start of the game. What I got was this:

That's some mid- to end- game weapons right there. And if I hadn't blown a thousand gold on Bronwyn's upgrade, I could have bought her a Steel Broadsword, which is simply better.

“Hello barkeep!”

A businesslike woman with a predatory gaze works the bar. She looks at your nice armor and weapons and is clearly sizing up ways to relieve you of your money. "I'm Johanna. Welcome to my bar."

“Whats on the tap?”

She lists the services in a clipped, businesslike manner. "We have fine rooms, only 10 gold for the night, and no sailors in them. Also we have excellent whisky, 5 gold a round."

“Pour me a whisky please.”

The Whiskey is cheap and burns your throat. They don't have alcohol this strong in Exile. As you choke it down, Johanna leans close. "Want advice?"

“I'm a listening kind of person.”

"Good information. Reasonably prices. I know a great way to make quick cash, only 25 gold. Also I know a little something about the Anama. Twenty gold."

“Let's start with the Anama.”

“And the cash?”

TooMuchAbstraction has been doing the whole 'screencap conversation pieces' for his Avernum LP, so I decided to try it a couple times to see how it fits into the flow up the update.

Yeah, I really need to check those time frames for city attacks. Except that Fenris Port is supposed to be inviolate as it's the port connected to Sharimik. I know I've got plenty of time, but this still worries me.

“Well, that's that. Nothing unusual here. Time to swing south. There's that town that should have a boat that can take us to the wizard who can help us with the Roaches. Or at least have more information.”

“Still, a long walk to get there.”

“Would you have preferred to cut straight across the island?”

“... no.”

“Although the mountains are nice.”

“Here we are. Kuper. Next stop, Kneece.”

berryjon fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 28, 2016

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
What a weird lighthouse. That can't just be random flavour.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Fun fact about Judith: it's very easy to accidentally trigger the thing berryjon alluded to, by trying to buy her healing services rather than ask her about healing. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've done the former far more often than I've done the latter. One of the quirks of the keyword-based conversation system.

EDIT: you have a stray missing [/i] in the inn, near the whisky discussion. And one of Bronwyn's lines while talking to Kurtz is a little weird.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 26, 2016

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016

berryjon posted:

I may be way ahead of the game's internal timeline here.

I think those stores there are always destroyed. I could be wrong, though - if anyone can correct me, please do.

berryjon posted:

If we had explored more and found the location of the Slime Pit before being told where it was through Justin's Tower...

I think you mean Jordan's Tower.

Also, only things I have to say this update are:
1) Kurtz there has the BEST identification rates in the game, unless I'm sorely mistaken, at only 6 gold a pop.
2) The Northpoint lighthouse has a secret I only found out about recently. I think you need to approach from the left to find it, though, and it's not worth much.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Stuff has been fixed, thank you. And things noted for future updates.

VV And that's been fixed as well, thank you.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Kurtz

quote:

“Reason I like in a port town. Not doing a job?”

Should probably be "Reason I live in a port town."

As to the Anama being like the Amish - I don't know enough about the Amish as to whether they call technology the "dark arts" but when you start throwing around the language the Anama have, doesn't taken long for someone to decide "gee, if it is evil and the dark art, we should purge that!" --Possibly I'm taking this too seriously due to demagoguery being slung about recently in national politics, but yeah, rather uneasy about this sort of language.

• Locked thread