Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Why doesn't Karthus's wall do the Poppy thing that riot's so fond of now?

Because Karthus is already a very strong champ and that would a tremendously strong buff to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Endorph posted:

rammus can get to lanes just as fast, has a long taunt, and doesn't die to everything
Rammus jungle seems fun. I was caught out alone by three champions in a game last night, and ended up killing two, with the other running away. I wasn't even fed or anything. Of course, this is playing against bad sub-bronze unranked players.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
rammus is great for singlehandedly winning the game for your team by getting clutch taunts and pickoffs around the map

he was even better like two patches ago when every team was a 4-5 AD comp

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Because Karthus is already a very strong champ and that would a tremendously strong buff to him.

I just want his slow to no longer decay and to reapply if they walk through it again, the good old days.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I just want his slow to no longer decay and to reapply if they walk through it again, the good old days.

Make it a flat 60 armor/mr reduction again.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

There are already Rank 6/7 Katarina players, I don't want to play this game anymore...

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Cool

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
so is the new adc meta just bruiser items on lucian/mf?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Tired Moritz posted:

so is the new adc meta just bruiser items on lucian/mf?
Kinda. Miss Fortune's shred build and any champion that can rush a Ghostblade (Lucian, Twitch) are strong right now. Lucian is far and away the best ADC right now, with the next popular three just being Ezreal, Vayne, and Caitlyn

ADC itemization right now is butts, it's a required role with very few viable characters at any given time and pretty narrow builds since most of them do pretty similar things with minor divergence.

Oh and they pushed a bunch of champions out of the ADC role and ruined Mordekaiser who was supposed to be the "Alternative" to an ADC so v:v:v better luck next season

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The problem with the ADC role is kind of really a fundamental problem of the game; so we have this role whose job is "do as much damage as you possibly can" which leads to the maximal damage build on the maximal damage champion being right most of the time.

Soon as somebody figures out what that is that information gets around and the ADC meta shifts toward that. "We want more variety in that role" is pretty much impossible.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Ahahahahaha, they're lowering the mana cost of Taliyah's Q. Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa

I want a refund

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's a problem inherent to the concept behind ADC, which is "be terrible early, win the game if it goes on long enough and you arent shut down". That's fine for basic strategy, but its a nearly impossible concept to add variety to outside of introducing a rock/paper/scissors counter-item/hero setup (ala Dotes2). Every other role has flexibility in what you want it to bring to the team, but theres only one expectation ever from an ADC: shoot other mans

It's like trying to add variety to Chess by giving the King a bunch of gimmick choices; there's always going to be a best pick, which is the one that makes it live the longest.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

Ahahahahaha, they're lowering the mana cost of Taliyah's Q. Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa

I want a refund

with her amazingly op mana management, Taliyah can finally bring manamune to the midlane meta

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

CubeTheory posted:

I want a refund

But you see, now she'll be able to use all her other powerful spells-oh wait.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The ADC class problem is not that the characters are too similar. It's the way the class and itemization interact with the entire rest of the game. Itemization is somewhat of an issue, not due to ~optimal strategy~ but just because they've designed the class to need several thousand gold to be able to contribute in way too many cases.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The marksman update did do a decent job of making different ADC's want different items and play differently.

Unfortunately, whichever item set is the strongest is the only group that's gonna get played.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
maybe they should fix Lucian by reducing his e's cooldown.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I feel like the competitive League scene for as long as I can remember has always been "what are the best ADC itemization sets? who are the three best champions that can utilize them effectively? let's only play those three guys."

From all the way back in the Corki/Graves/Ezreal days to the present day it seems like a trinity of picks with very few outliers always dominates the competitive pick/ban.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Spirit is 10-0 in EUW solo q with red smite Runic Echoes, FQC, Abyssal, Lichbane, Banner of Command jungle Lulu.

e: With AS reds and quints, CDR blues and scaling health. Amazing.

He also just lost 1 game, but went 7-0.

foutre fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 23, 2016

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
whatever why not, i don't care i'm just here to spread the good word

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
For soloqueue most ADCs are completely fine, as has been the case at pretty much every point in the game's history, happy to help.

Always remember though that you're a strong, independent theorycrafter who don't need no facts to back up your ideas that immobile carries are poo poo.

iSurrender fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 23, 2016

stump collector
May 28, 2007
zyra is the real problem in bot lane

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Libertine posted:

I feel like the competitive League scene for as long as I can remember has always been "what are the best ADC itemization sets? who are the three best champions that can utilize them effectively? let's only play those three guys."

From all the way back in the Corki/Graves/Ezreal days to the present day it seems like a trinity of picks with very few outliers always dominates the competitive pick/ban.

Some part of this is simply that there's half as many marksman champions as other classes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the marksman update resulted in a net loss of adcs and of the last 3 Marksman released, 1 was a jungler and 1 was an AP midlaner

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Part of the issue is that Riot has this hate-on for releasing two similar champions nearby each other so when they release an ADC they wait like a year before releasing the next, but the thing is ADC is the only role where 90% of them are locked into one lane.

Like, Sol can mid, top, and jungle, Ekko can mid, top, and jungle, tahm can support and top, but jhin is pretty much locked into the ADC role. You can take him mid if you want but it isn't exactly good.

So like, over the past year or so there've been 4 new junglers, 4 new top laners, 3 new mid laners, 3 new supports, and only 2 new ADCs. When they released tahm both support and top got a new champion thrown in, but nobody ever accidentally falls into the ADC role. So as time goes on there'll just be less and less ADCs comparatively.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 24, 2016

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

if i was on the balance team at riot i would just add an item to make any melee character morde and throw the pub lanes into chaos rather than try to make it work

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

finally, jayce is viable

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

but nobody ever accidentally falls into the ADC role.

Hey now.

:colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kenne was made before the current meta was really developed and he's always had the marksman tag and people trying to make him happen bot lane. it just happened to actually work for a little bit.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

even if you assign every champion to only their most common role and don't double count flex picks, there's still like 15 adcs and 15 supports and 30 of everything else

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Talking about Kennen, his Q is impossible to land for me. So weird.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

Talking about Kennen, his Q is impossible to land for me. So weird.

kennen q being crappy and narrow is probably intentional because manaless poke is Dangerous Territory

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a question for NA and EU players: How many people in the region you play complain about "fair play"?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Elentor posted:

I have a question for NA and EU players: How many people in the region you play complain about "fair play"?

I have never heard that term used in reference to league ever.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Endorph posted:

Part of the issue is that Riot has this hate-on for releasing two similar champions nearby each other so when they release an ADC they wait like a year before releasing the next, but the thing is ADC is the only role where 90% of them are locked into one lane.

Like, Sol can mid, top, and jungle, Ekko can mid, top, and jungle, tahm can support and top, but jhin is pretty much locked into the ADC role. You can take him mid if you want but it isn't exactly good.

So like, over the past year or so there've been 4 new junglers, 4 new top laners, 3 new mid laners, 3 new supports, and only 2 new ADCs. When they released tahm both support and top got a new champion thrown in, but nobody ever accidentally falls into the ADC role. So as time goes on there'll just be less and less ADCs comparatively.

Kindred's about as close as we've gotten to "accidentally" being an ADC.

Elentor posted:

In my personal experience, League is definitely one of those "if it's possible in the game, and it gets you an edge, do it" type games. I know the competitive scene in fighting games has a fairly strong element of "don't cheese" (or it used to, at least...I don't watch a lot of pro fighting games nowadays), but the worst that's going to happen in League is someone losing lane to you might rage at you for playing a "no skill champ".

Hermetic fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 24, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kashuno posted:

I have never heard that term used in reference to league ever.

It's the term Brazilians use to describe the various degrees of basically sitting down and doing nothing if one of your opponents gets disconnected in a ranked game to give them a "fair chance" of recovering.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 24, 2016

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Elentor posted:

It's the term Brazilians use to describe the various degrees of basically sitting down and doing nothing if one of your opponents gets disconnected in a ranked game to give them a "fair chance" of recovering.

As someone with lovely Canadian internet, I say don't play if your connection isn't stable.

If I get a kill with the game going into a 4v5 I'm not going to feel bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hermetic posted:

I know the competitive scene in fighting games has a fairly strong element of "don't cheese" (or it used to, at least...I don't watch a lot of pro fighting games nowadays)
it absolutely doesn't

the term 'lame it out' is used when someone, like, gets a life lead and then blocks/dodges a lot with ten seconds on the timer but nobody actually cares if somebody spams projectiles because any fg worth playing at a competitive level has counter strategies to that sort of thing

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Endorph posted:

it absolutely doesn't

the term 'lame it out' is used when someone, like, gets a life lead and then blocks/dodges a lot with ten seconds on the timer but nobody actually cares if somebody spams projectiles because any fg worth playing at a competitive level has counter strategies to that sort of thing

Hence my caveat. My knowledge of fighting game tourney culture is fairly dated. Fighting games at that time are really the only gaming scene I've ever seen that took a stance on fair play other than "don't literally hack the game".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It depends on what mood I'm in. If I'm in a good mood and I see someone clearly disconnect under tower and just stand there for like a minute or more I'm not going to gently caress with them unless we're just pushing forward and closing the game out and killing them to get them off the board. If I'm in a bad mood and I see someone cut out in the middle of a skirmish, best believe they are getting it execution style no questions asked.

• Locked thread